Dyson DC50

Dyson DC50

Allergy, Multifloor and Origin

See the Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Anthony D.

Anthony D.Wide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Total Rubbish.

We bought a dyson vacuum D50 approx 5 years ago believing that you only get what you pay for. Well we paid $400 but recieved a vacuum that i believe to be worth $50. The machine would not click onto the stand when not ising it. It was just out of warranty and i will give Dyson credit for repairing it free of charge . However , the vacuum head is now broken and will require $100 to be spent on new part. I will be purchasing a bagless vacuum for between $50 - $100 that has less moving parts to break. Even if it does break , i can simply replace it at thst price, not $400 for a Dyson . Very disappointed in the Dyson vacuum and will never purchase another product from them.

niki

nikiSouthwest, VIC

Incredible Mechanics

Carpet to tiles, this machine is amazing. It makes tedious work bearable. The suction is amazing in that you go over a surface once instead of three or four times. I would never go to a conventional vacuum cleaner again.

Purchased in March 2017 at The Good Guys for $799.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Several times a week
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
Mike

MikePeel, WA

This is the best vac we have ever had. It is our third Dyson model and we wouldn't consider any other manufacturer.

We use the DC50 for all our floors which are tiles and carpets. It is very easily to clean and empty, even the filters are easy to take out, clean & put them back in.

Purchased in January 2015 at The Good Guys for $900.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
Robbie

RobbieNsw

Good alround vacuum but...

I use this on all floors, I have two cats and the spinning brush thing works great picking up hair off couch tops and carpet/wood floors.
I feel this vacuum lacks suction power compared to other Dysons I have got in the past.
The machine feels heavy and is not great getting in to corners or under tight spaces.
The extender vacuum hose thing at the back is useless at picking up anything ( I might be using wrong) but not a lot of suction
Overall it does it’s job it’s great on carpets and rugs but not so great on wood floors kitchen tiles

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Pwncon

PwnconBARRINGTON

I replaced the filter and cleaner the unit. Dc50

I also replaced the turning heads.
I turns on and sound for e seconds
Then stops rotating
I figured a got screwed
I never buy a tyson vacumm again
I thoroughly lcean and cleaned the unit.
Bought new filter and head Turner.
Waste of $$$ no customer service
I bought this expanse piece of crap

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Worst vacuum I've ever used

I used my partners Dyson dc50 today for the first time after moving in together and omg it was useless. The short stick part dosent even reach the top of the couch I had it lift the whole vacuum up onto the couch .and then it didn't really suck as there was still cat fur everywhere.it was good on the floor for a quick vac over but not for getting into corners on getting cob webs down. Il be using my trusty old vacuum from now on .

Date PurchasedJun 2017

The worst piece of machinery I've ever used.

I'm 45 minutes into cleaning my kitchen and am not even close to finishing. The machine was refusing to suck, but after pulling apart the vacuum cleaner as per the Youtube video and ensuring every single joint was spotless (not that there was a lot of dirt in there to start with) it began to work, even if very poorly. Every 10-15 seconds it would stop sucking again and I'm forced to fiddle around with it to get it to work again. After about 5 minutes of solid work doing this it stopped sucking, seemingly for good, and began spitting out everything it had picked up in the last few minutes back onto the floor. It's literally making the house dirtier.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Susan J

Susan JQld, 4343

Piece of Junk

Worked fine for a while but then stopped working after a couple of months. Would not pick up. Forget taking anything back to Harvey Norman they don't want to know they just refer you to Dyson who then try to talk you through fixing over the phone. When that does not work you then have to pack it up & send it back to them. Could not be bothered with that & threw it in the skip bin a waste of over $700 will never buy a Dyson again will never shop at Harvey Norman again. Where has customer service gone?

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Dan

DanPerth, WA

Excellent in cleaning but cable

This is a good vacuum but the cable is really short and it’s impossble to reach other side of room. Got to keep changing wall sockets to vacuum whole room. Overall decent vacuum
Hope they realise this and change the cable. Cable cable cable 50words review cable cable cable thanks

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Dyson Team ..Dyson

This was useless from day one

Have had a Dyson DC50 for about two years. Lighter than the old one it replaced but noisy. We use this to clean laminate flooring and it is TRULY hopeless at picking things up.This is the primery use of a vacume cleaner. Works on carpet slightly better. Filter always choking up.Would liked to have writen a good review ,but sadly the product is not fit for purpose.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Andy79

Andy79

My old Dyson DC8 was far superior

My husband purchased the DC50 for me after my old faithful DC8 died. At first I thought that I was being a bit over critical because I was used to my old DC8 so I persisted using it. Unfortunately, 3 years later and I still get frustrated with the DC50- hair gets caught in numerous places, blocking the tubing and stopping it from sucking properly. It seems to have problems picking up any particles larger than everyday dust and it’s hopeless on my hard floors.
Sadly, I wouldn’t recommend the DC50.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Charlene

Charlene

Good so far

This is good for my apartment. Easy to store. Cleans pretty well and only takes me a few minutes to vacuum the whole apartment which is almost all carpeted. I also use it to clean my sofa. It has small attachments which help cleaning tiny corners. A little bit heavy to lift.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Rara H

Rara HMelbourne

Best vac I’ve ever had!

Had my Dyson for a few years now and it works just as awesome as the day I bought it! I’ll always buy a Dyson over any brand when looking for vacs.. so easy to clean and maintain and always makes the carpets look like new.. even with 4 kids running through the house!

Date PurchasedJul 2013

joecool

joecoolbanora point

5 years of hard work.

My home has large areas of both ceramic & carpet.It has worked extremely well & when it needs replacement Dyson is the brand I will go for.I admire good design & Dyson has it in heaps.I like other people have a shedding dog & in every way it has exceeded my expectations.At times I have given this vacuum cleaner work beyond its design capacity & when Isulffered loss of suction I must admit it is a little difficult to clean out blockages particularly in motor head tube.To Phil in his review I would suggest that he cleans all his filters including the one situated on the side of the ball.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Don't expect a long life

Suction was good, a very noisy machine, quite heavy to move, difficult to manoeuvre,light residential use only lasted 4 years, customer service is limited online instructions on how to unravel brushes and wash and change filters yourself, mine ceased picking up and cost of repair is similar to new machine, I expected more from a machine with such a high price tag, extremely disappointing.

Date PurchasedSep 2013
Phil

PhilAU

Good vacuum

Happy with the suction but could be better. Very light so Im fine with the trade off. Picks up well on floorboards, tiles and carpet. Reasonable easy to move but wish I went for the barrel one. Easy to remove and empty the dust bin and haven't had to wash the filter yet.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Kittenfantastico

KittenfantasticoMelbourne

Awesome!

I hated vacuuming till I got the Dyson! I can't say anything more than it amazing! It cost $$ but it's so worth it! I've had mine for 7 years with a shedding dog in the house half carpet half tiled. Vaccumunf is not the chore it used to be! It's easy to clean, no bags or complicated filters required. All the attachments are easy to use and all fit back on the unit easily!. Don't waste you $ on $300 models, spend the cash and have no dramas. My friends borrow mine!

Date PurchasedFeb 2007

nikhild

nikhild

Great suction and hair don’t stick in the brush

The suction is extremely good no complaints whatsoever. The carpet brush remains clean throughout the course of vacuuming. I have seen some upright vacuums have issues with hair getting tangled in their carpet brushes - but not this Dyson.
It’s not quiet for sure but I don’t expect it to be especially if it’s got good suction capability. Wire is long enough. I recommend this product.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

LuciaCaringbah nsw

Disappointed

I bought this item when it was full price at $1150 @harvey norman online. Delivery was fast but after using it a few times, i was impressed at the suction but it was a bit heavy for me. I had to return the machine to dyson 6 times for small repairs.
After using my friends shark, i will never spend that kind of money on a vacuum. I expected more from a big company like dyson.

Date PurchasedJun 2015
Lucia

I must add my dc50 was a product fault and you guys did fix it but to be done on the same day by my dc35 is pretty unlucky!i will add i live in a 1 bedroom unit so it wasnt used alot.
Cheers lucia

motherduck

motherduckPerth

Best so far

Love this vacuum cleaner, it is the best I ever owned so far. It has great suction and if easy to maneuver on carpet as well as tiles and wooden floors. Another plus for me is that it is bag less so less waste and this also makes it easy to see and to pick my sons lego out of the vacuum after I accidently sucked it up.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Amanda C.

Amanda C.asked

My brush is turning and there is suction but the dirt is not making it into the container. It also sounds strange. I didn’t see any obvious clogs in the hoses. I just ordered new filters but wondered if anyone else had any other ideas?

Thanks!

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Sorry to hear about this Amanda, we are happy to help.

We would kindly ask you to run through the troubleshooting outlined here: https://www.dyson.com.au/supporthome.aspx/Vacuums/Uprights/Dyson-DC50-/24751-01/troubleshooting/pick-up-issue

This should get your DC50 up and running as it should, however if not, or if we can assist further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will only happy to help.

rossmcnamara55

rossmcnamara55asked

motor has stopped cleaned all filters brush bar still spinning

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Sorry to hear about this Ross, this sounds like something has happened within your machine and we would value the opportunity to get this sorted for you.

Please just forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com (including the serial number of your machine) and our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly and will be happy to help.

Kim C.

Kim C.asked

My beater bar only turns intermittently. No clogs checked bar, it's clear.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

Sorry to hear about this. If you have cleaned your brushbar (as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpWk5trjvO4) with no success, we would encourage you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to provide further assistance and get this sorted.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson DC50 Allergy

Cord Length7.6m7.6m7.6m
Weight5.4kg5.4kg5.4kg
Price (RRP)$799$699$749
Release dateMar 2013Mar 2013
Replaced byDyson Small Ball AllergyDyson Small Ball Multi FloorDyson DC50 Origin and Dyson Small Ball

Visit official website - Download manual