7Dyson Pure Cool Tower

At $99 per year, filters are expensive to replace

Gary C
Gary CGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC
  Top Review White Silver

My first and last Dyson appliance

I bought my Dyson Pure Cool fan in December 2016. Within only 3 months it developed a fault in that it wouldn’t stop oscillating, even when switched off. The only way to stop it oscillating was to switch it off at the mains.

I contacted Dyson who advised me to return the fan to them under warranty via Australia Post. Fully boxed the fan is large and cumbersome and carrying it to an Australia Post outlet in the middle of an Australian summer was not an enjoyable experience. At the time I was living in inner city Melbourne and did not own a car.

A month later I was advised that the fan was ready to be collected. Carrying the fan back from the Australia Post outlet was not particularly enjoyable either.

Two years later, just after the warranty had expired, the exact same fault reoccurred.

I contacted Dyson again but this time I was informed that I would have to pay for the repair of the fan which would be a $65 service fee plus parts. Dyson said that I needed to send the fan to them to get an exact quote. If I declined their quote, they would return the fan to me with any faulty parts removed (but not replaced). I baulked at this as I had no guarantee that the fault would not reoccur again after I paid to get the fan fixed. After all, they had already failed to repair it properly the first time the fault occurred. I performed some online research, and this oscillation problem appears to commonly occur with these fans.

See Twitter thread below:

In the end I chose not to repair the fan and got rid of it when I moved house.

In terms of performance, the fan is very noisy at the higher settings. If you are considering buying one of these fans, make sure you test it at its higher settings in the showroom and then imagine that noise in your own home. In terms of cooling, it was not much better than the $50 fan it replaced and far less reliable.

This was the first Dyson appliance that I ever bought. It will also be the last. My friend recently bought a TruSens air purifier for a fraction of the cost of the Dyson fan and she seems very happy with it. Her son is sleeping much better with no nasal congestion. I’ll probably buy one of those instead.

Purchased in at Harvey Norman for $700.

• Room Type: Small Bedroom
  • Pet Owner: No
  • Smokers: No
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
daywolf
daywolfGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC21 posts
  Top Review Ambassador Review White Silver

A really good air purifier and fan, but a bit pricey

The Dyson Pure Cool tower fan is a blade-less cooling fan with built in air purification filters. It’s easy to set up and use, and has a few cool intuitive features.

Setting up the Pure Cool is quite easy. However, if you try and follow the instructions word for word, you might find it confusing, as the instruction booklet doesn’t really reflect what has been supplied in the box. The second step has already been completed in the factory (the fitting of the glass HEPA to the shrouds) so is not required. Also, its easier to fit the carbon filter to the HEPA filter first, and then to the fan unit. The carbon filters kept falling out if I tried to put those in first, as per instructions.

After plugging in and turning on, it is really easy to use. The power supply is really big. It sticks out about 10cm from the socket, and is also really tall. If you don’t have clear access to a power point, you’ll need to run an extension cord. The remote is simple and straight forward, however it does feel rather cheap and flimsy. This seems to be a common theme with Dyson products, and the fan unit itself also suffers from this. When moving the unit, you need to pick it up by the base. This does feel rather clumsy and again makes the unit feel cheap and rather poorly built. Also, the gloss white finish on the air amplifier part feels like a poor choice. During operation when the unit is oscillating, it reflects incoming light from windows. Its rather annoying and distracting, as it's like a slow moving disco ball in the room.

Connecting the unit to wifi is a simple process. You just need to download the Dyson Link app and then follow the instructions. The unit then does a software update, and is ready to go. Having the unit operated by the app via wifi is handy, as you can monitor the air quality in your home while you are away, and change any settings you desire.

Quality of air flow is excellent. This is where the Dyson excels. At fan speeds below 7, it produces minimal noise, and there is no buffeting of the air flow. The oscillating function is silent, which is great for when using in the bedroom over night. Above fan speed 7, the unit starts to develop more noise, and at full power its very noticeable. Still less noisy than other bladed fans, though. I found that for use overnight, speeds 1-3 are best, and this results in smooth, almost silent air flow. So good for sleeping. Also handy for night time is the sleep function. This dims the display while lights are on in the room, but once it is dark, the display turns off completely.

Due to the tragic bushfires in NSW and Victoria, the current air quality in Melbourne has been noticeably bad. Closing up my apartment and moving the Dyson to the lounge room, I set it on auto and 350 oscillation. My 2 bedroom apartments air quality went from AQI (Air Quality Index) 176 “very poor” to AQI 17 “good” in just over an hour. The air was remarkably cleaner and easier to breathe.

The Dyson Link app seems to have a 12-24hr delay with updating the local outdoor AQI. Either that, or its just not that accurate. I downloaded IQAir AirVisual from the app store to get a better idea of the outside air quality in my area.

Dyson doesn’t inform you how often filters will need to be changed, but it appears as though they will last about 12-18 months, depending on usage. I’ve had my unit for 2 weeks, and the filters are at 96%. After a quick look on the Dyson site, the filters are $110 to replace both the carbon and HEPA filters. This should be factored into long term running of the machine. It would be great if Dyson offered a recycling program for the filters.

Overall, I’m really pleased with the Dyson Pure Cool. There are a few issues that shouldn’t be there on an $800 product. Cheap and plastic feel to the unit, and the awful feeling of the remote in your hand. Also, the remote looks unsightly on top of an otherwise very good looking product. Shopping around may save you $100 or more.

Purchased in .

Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Productuser
Productuser30 posts

Purifies well, cools gently

I ‘bought’ this fan using my Qantas points so I absolutely don’t feel ripped off of the $599 cost.
It purifies excellently, really excellently, no bushfire smoke escapes it.
As for cooling, it does the job but if you want quiet power then a Bunnings fan will suit you better. Show details ·  1
Kris
KrisGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Stopped worked 2 months out of warranty

I bought a Dyson because my other Dyson products have worked reliably for years. Unfortunately this fan stopped working 2 months out of warranty, and will cost $200+ to fix (according to Dyson support). At this price I was expecting more than 2 years of use.

Pros:
Smaller footprint than a pedestal fan
App easy to use and to control the fan (when fan connected to wifi)
Voice control fan via Google
Air filtration seemed to improve air quality
Night mode turns off the display

Cons:
Expensive
Loud at higher fan speeds (6 and above)
Low fan speeds don't move enough air (4 and below)
Frequent WiFi dropouts Show details

Julie
JulieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC16 posts
  Verified Black Nickel

Very disappointed

I love Dyson products & have never been disappointed until now. Yes the product purifies, has a replaceable filter, remote etc etc.
The problem is the fan. My $20 Kmart fan is more powerful than the At a price point of $599.00 I definitely feel ripped off Show details
Tracy Y.
Tracy Y.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Bad Ordour With the New Filter

The machine produces bad ordour even after the filter was replaced with the brand new one. I sent it back twice to the service center. However their technician said there was no problem at all and kicked it back straightaway. But it's not safe to use it since it produces weird bad ordour. Their call center couldn't help at all and told me there was no other solution but send the machine to service center again. Terrible. Shall i just give up this machine (and $800)? Show details
Pete_Repeat
Pete_RepeatSydney, NSW25 posts
  White Silver

Ok but not worth the money

It looks nice...it's volume of air flow is quite low taking its price into account. I'm sure it's much noisier than a conventional fan at the same air flow. It's quite noisy on night mode contrary to what some say. In. A living room no problem, but in bedroom it's quite audible. I feel that a lot of owners are brand loyal so happy to pay a high price for something that doesn't offer a lot over others taking the price tag into account. I have given feedback for improvements of functions on their forum, but the answers (and other topics I've read) from dyson reps indicate that features don't really get added it's more talk, which is surprise for a premium price device. Show details
Shirley Mae
Shirley MaeSouthwest, VIC3 posts
  Verified White Silver

Quiet fan for bedroom at night

There is no overhead fan in my bedroom at rented apartment. So needed a really quiet but efficient fan to create comfort on hot nights, or even nights when the room can get stuffy. This fan is efficient and quiet, and I find I'm using it in other rooms during the day because it is just so quiet and effective. Its stylish design, although tall and largish, is nice enough to have in any room without feeling like I'm looking at a big ugly fan. The price point is more than I wanted to pay, but that's just how it is with Dyson products it seems. Show details
Ted
Ted

Far too loud!

Returning this fan tomorrow as I was hoping for a silent quiet fan and it's so loud. You cannot sleep with this on the high setting as it's like sleeping with a vacuum cleaner on
Me G.
Me G.South West, WA30 posts
  Black Nickel

Overpriced cumbersome piece of rubbish

Noisy
Hard to adjust
Poor airflow
Ridiculous remote control so small and not at all intuitive
Cumbersome and difficult to move
Very unhappy
It does clean the air a bit though. Show details
Suzy
SuzySouth East Queensland, QLD38 posts
Christine Y
Christine Y5 posts
  Verified Black Nickel

Purified air in small rooms well during bushfire season

Bought mainly for purifying feature. Fan power enough for a small bedroom in hot or cool settings. I particularly like the link to the app where I can turn on etc from my phone and monitor the air quality. While only used when needed, still haven't had to change the filters for 1.5 years. Show details
KellieL
KellieLSydney42 posts
  Black Nickel

It is OK but not worth the money

We are a Dyson household - vacuum cleaner, hairdryer and straightener.

This is the first time I have been disappointed in a Dyson product. I bought this fan in the Black Friday sales as we don’t always have the AC on as it is only the two of us at home now.

Even on sale it was $600 and it is not as cooling as the tower fan we bought from Aldi for $60.00.

You cannot adjust the actual fan speed only the amount of air that comes out - it would be much better if you could have the fan on a three speed with the amount of air at say seven.

Even on nine this does not put out much cool air.

Nobody needs this fan and if you are buying to cool down, go to Aldi. Show details

Ben R.
Ben R.

Misleading Advertising

I bought this product because it was advertised as a tower fan with air purification abilities. My expectations for $800 is that it would perform both tasks exceptionally well. I did a side by side comparison of the tower fan I was replacing and as a tower fan, it performs terribly, the airflow even on the highest setting is barely noticeable at a distance of 1.5m despite Dysons claims of powerful airflow and cooling abilities. Not to mention the noise, it operates louder than I would have expected but more importantly, it’s a really unpleasant noise. Don’t buy this product expecting to use it as a tower fan, despite the advertising, it is not intended to be used as one. Show details
Dwayne
DwayneDarling Downs, QLD58 posts

A breath of fresh air

We got this because we are renovating in an older house and worried about any potentially small and dangerous microparticles, dust and any other nasties from hammering, drilling and so on. This thing exceeds our expectations and the metrics it provides on the fan as well as in the app are nice and helpful. The only downside is while the build quality is nice, this thing falls over very easily.

We have a 1.5-year-old and a 5-year-old. Our 1.5-year-old has knocked this over a lot, thankfully it is light and can take a beating, but it is an oversight for such an expensive product. The magnetic remote that sits on top also easily falls off, it feels like a bit of an oversight for an otherwise flawless and useful product. Show details

Wendy W. · Pure Cool Tower

Recently when I have the in Auto and night mode, the pure cool turns it’s self off at night. Is this normal? I don’t remember it doing this before. I’ve had the unit for about 3 months.

Thanks for the answer!

dvobgo92
dvobgo92 · Pure Cool Tower White Silver

Hello, this question is for a Dyson support staff member. I just purchased two Dyson Pure Cool TP04 purifiers a few days ago and one of them works great but the second one I believe has an issue. Whenever in standby and in backward flow mode, the sensors accurately pick up the particulates in the room. BUT the moment I switch the fan to forward flow mode, the AQI goes down to GOOD and both the PM2.5 and PM10 readings go down to ZERO. This is definitely not normal as the 2nd purifier doesn’t change its readings no matter if it’s in backward or forward mode or in standby with continuous monitoring on.
For example: Even if the PM2.5 reading is 300ug/m3, it immediately goes down to 0ug/m3 as soon as I change the fan flow from backward to forward mode. If I then change the flow to backward mode again, the readings instantly come back to their previous normal levels. Huge disappointment... is there a fix for this?

Kevin O
Kevin O · Pure Cool Tower

Why does Dyson Pure Cool PM2.5 suddenly spike to levels as high as 999, and then return to normal levels? The unit has been in this room for months, and PM2.5 has always been at normal levels

See all Dyson Pure Cool Tower questions

Features:

• Uses ‘Air Multiplier’ technology to operate using a bladeless fan design. Since blades are concealed within the fan base, this Dyson fan is a safer pick if you have curious babies or pets wandering around.
  • An in-built air purifier captures pollutants in the air, while a HEPA Filter and activated carbon filter work together to trap 99.95% of fine particles as small as 0.1 micros. You can also use the air purifier without the air circulating function, on more chilly days.
  • The oscillating function allows you to set the angle from 45 degrees to 350 degrees, to deliver cool and purified air evenly around the room
  • The Dyson Link app sends data to your smartphone in real-time, reporting on PM2.5, PM10, VOC and NO2 levels in the air
  • Quiet Mark accreditation awarded for being friendly on the ears, and Sensitive Choice approved by the National Asthma Council Australia, making this Dyson fan suitable for asthma and allergy sufferers.

Points of praise for the Dyson Pure Cool Tower:

• This Dyson fan was most appreciated for its superior air purification function. The in-built air purifier is effective at identifying and getting rid of pollutants, especially from smoke caused by bushfires. This improves air quality and makes air fresher and more breathable.
  • Airflow is consistent and effective, moving around air in a room to make it feel more comfortable to be in. The higher the speed, however, the noisier the fan will become – although it’s still much quieter than other bladeless fans on the market, according to reviewers.
  • The Dyson Link app provides thorough and reliable data about the pollutants in the air.

Pain points with the Dyson Pure Cool Tower:

• It’s easy to knock over, which can often happen if you have toddlers running around. Luckily this is more so inconvenient rather than dangerous, since there are no external blades to worry about with this Dyson fan.
  • Dyson recommends changing the air purifier filters once every 12 months, but they are expensive to replace, costing $99 for a set of two (the glass HEPA and inner carbon filter).
  • The lack of a handle made this fan less ergonomically friendly, and reviewers found it frustrating that they couldn’t transport it from room to room easily.
Compare all Dyson Pure Cool Tower listings
CategoryAir Purifiers and Standalone FansAir Purifiers and Standalone Fans
Price (RRP) $799$799
FeaturesBladeless, HEPA Filter, Oscillating, Remote Control and TimerBladeless, HEPA Filter, Oscillating, Remote Control and Timer
HEPA FilterYesYes
FeaturesAdjustable Speed Settings, Automatic Air Quality Monitor, Carbon Filter, Filter Life Indicator, Mobile App, Remote Control and TimerAdjustable Speed Settings, Automatic Air Quality Monitor, Carbon Filter, Filter Life Indicator, Mobile App, Remote Control and Timer
Weight4.9 kg4.9 kg
Dimensions 1054 x 206 x 117 mm1054 x 206 x 117 mm
TypeTowerTower
Cord Length1.8 m1.8 m
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Colour / FinishWhite SilverBlack Nickel