eBay

eBay

2.1 from 1,165 reviews

ZERO stars! Seller feedback tarnished by fraudulent (buyer) scammer!

Sent a perfect working item to the buyer - buyer (noted excellent condition) then interfered with the item upon receiving it & performed an unauthorised upgrade (as noted in eBay message inbox). Buyer ID mt.twynam then locked up iMac PC & has obviously voided any warranty or returns under consumer laws.

He then asks for a refund because Apple could not assist & requested a refund which I complied with under good faith. If eBay actually stepped in & did what they should be doing, I could have provided a replacement SSD because the buyer lied that it was faulty as they have a life-span of up to 10yrs depending on use.

He's broken eBay policy as he should have returned it in the original condition & same working order, but NO - he returned the iMac PC in a locked state! So now it's going to cost me close to $300- to unlock it! On top of that, he was an a-hole right after I sent the item who obviously asked no questions beforehand nor mentioned anything about going to upgrade the item which is now worth-less to me.

His eBay messages & the info I sent to them multiple times were not reviewed properly. I asked for a 2nd appeal & they said his refund stands even though he basically broke the iMac PC locking it up before returning it. Someone sitting on their support desk with NFI or IT experience can just easily dismiss a sellers honest request. I wasn't seeking a full refund (yet) but partial would have at least help me cover the costs!

On top of that the buyer ID mt.twynam decided to leave me a negative feedback to cover his fraudulent refund scam. You could only wish his parents used a condom or a coat hanger.

Declining service

I was once a huge fan of ebay making it my first choice for buying and selling. unfortunately over the last year I've watched as ebay have changed their policies and no longer make an effort to ensure fair and honest location for online transactions. Recently I purchased a $250 leather bag. The bag broke a few months later. On trying to locate the seller I was advised that ebay has closed the sellers account. I'm now left with a broken useless bag and out $250. Have tried called ebay but they're will not assist. I've no way to contact the seller and ebay tell me it's not their issue.

Fake Australian sellers

Sick of choosing "Australia only", then after purchasing item, find out there is a huge delay because the supposed Australian seller is importing the order from China. Goods arriving well after the date they are supposed to be delivered. Ebay have lost all credibility by allowing these fraudulent practices to go on.

Used service as a:Buyer

Very poor . Sellers lie about where they are and my bank is charging international bank fees .

Have contacted numerous times and told will get a response and still nothing . Even got charged international charge by my bank to renew eBay plus membership in Australia. False fake and phone . I have been a faithful loyal customer for years and this is how you get treated .
Well it’s goodbye eBay and hello Amazon au who know good customer service .

No longer trustworthy

I've been ordering from online retailers and auction sites for over a decade. Back in the good old days of eBay, what you saw is what you got. And in the extremely small amount times that something went wrong, eBay was very quick to jump in and sort it out.

However, for the last couple of years eBay has become a meeting place for dodgy sellers, scammers and misleading advertising. The worst ones of the legitimate sellers is the Chinese sellers lying about the item location. They set up a forwarding company in the country and then declare that the actual item is in that country.

I've filed endless reports against these sellers and it seems nothing has changed as part of eBay's seller verification process. No longer can item descriptions and locations be trusted and that makes the entire platform untrustworthy.

What a shame, eBay.

Used service as a:Buyer

Little person is good. Organization found wanting.

Ebay member for sixreen years and it's fine if the transaction is problem free and reasonable.
The behemoth is the problem. It's global shipping programme introduced about five years ago is an absolute rort when buying from overseas. Convenient for the seller who usually doesn't understand the consequences for the buyer. Ebay's problem resolution process is about making it as difficult as possible until you give up. Just like a bunch of lawyers!

wish a could give zero star

I am sick of eBay and i will only buy stuff i that is under $10 from now on in the last 6 months i have both 4 items and 2 of them have been faulty yes seller does say return item but at my own cost, that cost would be more than the item good buy ebay i will go back to going to shops for goods at leased you have better chance of refund as you can show damaged goods not happy

Lots of options

Been purchasing lot of stuffs from ebay and its been good so far. Buyer protection is very good. Think it's better to stack up ebay gifts cards on offee and buy stuffs during ebay sale.

Ebay 20 year birthday sale for bots

Ebay is having a 20 year birthday sale. Items listed every hour for $20. You wait for the code to appear on their daily deals page and clink on the link. After constant refreshing to get the code the item sells out within seconds and is sold out beofe ebay releases the code. This has to be bots buying up all these items. Absolute scam to get people to join up to ebay plus. If you’re going to do this ebay make it fair for everyone. The Bose headphones sold out and the code was never released.

Used service as a:Buyer

no professional organisation takes money without warning.

I just spoke with a fool named Bianca who claimed to have looked through transcripts of my ebay conversations.. but she hadn't . and then had the audacity to call me a liar.
I was advised by customer service that if I signed up for Ebay Plus, there would be an invoice issued the following year before it was charged again.
You would expect this.. Netflix and Stan warn you at when a trial is about to end.. so you'd think . after you have already paid and got bugger all for your money, that you would at very least a little courtesy. get an invoice to let you know to expect money to be taken out of your account..
Ebay the multi million dollar company that rips every cent from you they can get can't even be bothered with the smallest professional practice.
I asked at very least, to be granted the $20 voucher offered if you want to cancel but then stay.. but nope ..would rather call me a liar, which I don't take kindly to.
For the principle of this I will be submitting a case to consumer affairs and writing my review every where I am able. .

Used service as a:Buyer

Operates outside of australian consumer law

Purchased a buy now car spare part that failed after 4 mths. Was told by seller that they only needed to comply with ebay 3 mth warranty. Checked with Aust consumer law and found ebay not exempt. However to get help from ebay is like pulling teeth. The feedback system should have a follow up section where you could lodge after 6 mths or so . That way a true picture of what you are buying is more real. Repco with warranty from now on.

Used service as a:Buyer

Don't expect fairness from eBay. It's all about the money.

I am a long term eBay buyer but a recent event has caused me to close my account. They are very unfair. Gave me an unpaid item strike without the right of appeal even though seller admitted listing was misleading and deceptive. Good bye eBay.

Used service as a:Buyer

Sales Drop Unless You Pay For Ebay Plus???

I have been a seller for 10 years listing Retro furniture, collectables, books etc..My sales dropped to nil suddenly , ( I have about 25 to 30 listings, always)
I have now realised this drop in sales started when they introduced Ebay Plus and I did not subscribe as I already pay them huhebamounts in Final Value Fees.
I recently accepted an Ebay Plus free subscription for three months, sure enough sales sales sales. After the trial I elected not to pay their $50 Ebay Plus fee (I already pay them 10%)...Straight away, sales stopped Dead..Ebay have obviously manipulated their listings to cater for people who pay a fee of $50...What is the fee for, what is the benefit to the seller? A Govt Consumer watchdog need to take a good look at this?

Used service as a:Seller

Ebay Plus is a rip off!!!

Accepted the trial and paid for ebay plus when it was introduced. All great and very happy until it came time for renewal. Paid my membership and ever since, the flybuys I am supposed to be awarded have been halved. As an ebay plus member, supposed to earn double flybuys points which means 1 point per dollar. Has been reverted to half a point since my membership was renewed and after 4 calls to the supposed dedicated ebay plus customer service and them saying they will escalate it, almost four weeks later nothing has been done. They can't explain why and can't work out how to fix it. Useless waster of money. Time to go to the ACCC.

Do not sell on Ebay!

I sold an item, an oven for the first time, after buying many things over 15 years. Buyer returned, I had a correct listing, but Ebay and Paypal froze my Paypal funds, After rejecting the return, I ended up having to pick up the oven my self. There were no seller guarantees, I was threatened with letting the buyer keep the item and Ebay refunding the buyer, if I didn't pick it up, even though they asked the buyer to return the item to me. There is too much stress selling things on Ebay do not waste your time. You get treated like a criminal if the buyer decides to make a claim. Paypal fees are 2.6%, and Ebay fees about 10% for selling.

Used service as a:Seller

Absolute joke of a company, only care about taking your money

EBay australia is an absolute pathetic joke of a company who push their buyer protection but in reality only help the sellers who bring them big money. Theiving criminals who must be avoided at all costs, 2 stars is 2 to many.

Used service as a:Buyer

If you are a seller listing luxury clothing/items, don't waste your time. eBay & their customer service is Rubbish

Having previously sold 350+ luxury items over 3 years ago, I decided to give eBay another go as I had previously left the site in favour of a competitor due to high selling fees. Upon establishing a new account, I spoke to customer service who increased my seller limit to $10,000 in view of the luxury items I was selling. Little did I know that having spent 3 hours listing several items with the ads going live, over night all but 4 ads were pulled from the website. Why? eBay wants me to improve my seller rating as it feels as though I would struggle to offer a fantastic buyer experience due to listing so much (under 10 items). Why waste my time writing all those ads, taking all those pictures, replying to interested buyers for the items, only to have the ads pulled for a rubbish explanation. Spoke to Chloe on eBay customer service and offered a cold, scripted response without trying to find a solution.

I would encourage those selling luxury items to use other sites and not eBay, otherwise you'll end up wasting your time.

Product purchase Funnyhouse seller

I purchased a 3m airtrack from Funnyhouse seller and product does not hold air due to poor manufacture. Seller ya sheen promising to replace and continually lies and advises it has been shipped and nothing arrives. Funnyhouse is not a reputable business and would NOT recommend purchasing from this business.

No longer using

I have bought and sold hundreds of items and never had an issue, I accept the fees are high and still chose to sell using EBay.

My issue relates to an item I recently bought that was sent from the UK.

I never received it and Ebay refused to give me a refund despite Australia Post records showing the signature upon receipt was not mine.

The seller obviously addressed it wrong but Ebay failed to take any responsibility for the error.

One star is too much!

Sold an item through ebay (dealt with Yvette). Buyer f*%#@ item by either dropping it or seriously mishandling it. Returned and refunded in good faith as was away on business, when I returned I saw that there were significant new dints and scratches which caused major failure in item. Will never deal with again and I would never recommend to anyone.