Ecotourer 510 Off-Road

• Comfort
Andrew

AndrewTasmania

Everything we need for 2 person caravanning

We purchased a 10 year old off road Eco Tourer model with shower and toilet. Very happy with it. It tows easily behind the Hi Lux and is not too big to reverse park (although my wife acts as spotter!). We had a diesel heater fitted and it warms up in 5 minutes. The awning is easy to set up and the bed is comfortable. The shower and toilet are very useful if you don't fancy trudging to the toilet block and are easy to use. Gas cooking, 3 way fridge and a couple of big batteries make it easy to camp free. Bought a generator but have not needed it yet - looking at solar blanket as another option when in caravan parks. Our first experience of caravanning and very pleased with the van!

Purchased in March 2019.

Mileage1,000 km
Functionality
Exterior Build Quality
Comfort
Cameron Free

Cameron FreeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Living up to expectations

After much research - we decided to purchase a second hand Eco Tourer with shower / toilet - could not be happier with the way it tows the layout and the ease of setup. Picked up in Melbourne in winter - -3 outside inside is cosy with the reverse cycle A/C , Cupboards for everything inside , moulded along the roofline - much the same as in a boat, the finish is much the same as a boat and very easy to clean.

Floor PlanOff Road Shower Toilet

Suits us perfectly.

Floor PlanHybrid, no ensuite.
Caravans

Find out how Ecotourer 510 Off-Road compares to other Caravans

Best 2 person van available.

Very happy customer

For this person who gives one star, he might be rough with his van, we have the off road for 4 years, nothing fell off, as we put a magnet on every door so it can't open without loking it...its a super van on every level, only the owning is very flimbsi...we travels australia 3 times and still love the van...

Floor PlanIt's with toilet and shower

mountainmanCanberra

Wonderful idea, well made, BUT workmanship quality terrible on all fittings, nothing but problems

Discover it

Discover itCroydon Vic

Love the layout

The shape was what caught our eye. Tows effortlessly. Have to check the mirror to make sure it is still their. We have single beds and find this layout gives more internal room. Had a nearside tyre let go at 90kph and the van just dipped but stayed straight whilst we pulled over and put the spare on. Our thanks to Myrtleford tyre and battery service for the prompt replacement on a Friday arvo. Would love to have a folding door with fly screen and better lock.

avatarSydney, NSW

Good

Designer has provided excellent unit for consumer who wants sleek, compact, easy to tow, tastefully appointed van with all mod cons such as shower/toilet, Tv, air con etc , yet folds down to aerodynamic shape to tow.
Fibreglass construction - clean & strong. Telescopic mechanism, rather than conventional poptop. Ingenious layout. Fold-up towbar for easier storage.
Lack of additional step for off-highway version. Could easily install mirror on inside cupboard door. Why not provide for conversion of dinette into bed? Door catches need additional magnets. Ride leveller should be provided.

GoneBushBlogger

GoneBushBloggerVictoria, 3629

Pat 57
Pat 57

Show me what you did to mount robe on floor

Caravans

Find out how Ecotourer 510 Off-Road compares to other Caravans

We've owned our van for 18 months and tow it with an '05 Kia Sorrento. We've travelled in the highlands of Tassie, gone to Kangaroo Island, had a trip to Innaminka via Bourke and Tiboorburra and have just returned from another trip, 22,000kms. all over WA. We have deliberately chosen the roughest roads as we don't like the boring bitumen. Our van has taken to the dirt like a duck to water - and it literally loved the river and creek crossings on the Gibb River Road!!
email me on tassyterry@yahoo.com if you want to know more!
Love the elegance! and the simplicity -stylish! Love the ease of towing -and ease of living in it. Love it's strength and durability. Love the minimal effort needed to keep it cleaned whilst on the road.

Mark Braddon
Mark Braddon

Suprised that we have taken to this form of travelling so easily and quickly
Australia on the road with this ecotourer design is unbeatable
sleek design clever easy comfortable
minor finishing off issues that are being willingly attended to

Faster the betterasked

510 Off-Road

Hello ET owners. having read all comments esp about off road, will be interested in some helpful feedback. We have the hybrid and just did a trip to Lawn Hill gorge. Following this, the van filled with dust, the cupboards jiggled open,one drawer's tracks broke apart, the window screws jiggled loose ( lost a couple) , the water tank drain began to leak and the TV broke off its frame. We drove carefully on the dirt roads. We love all the features but have been VERY disappointed at the flimsy insides. Ant suggestions on some remedies?

Berniceasked

Thinking of buying the eco 510 off road tourer,
Can anyone that has one give me feed back on your thoughts of the caravan,
Any info would be helpful ,how it travels an if it is built good an if it seals good an the shower an toilet,
Does it dust in travelling on dirt roads.
Thanking you

mountainman

Dear Bernice,Darling,Hope your female,I bought the top of the line off road.Looked very nice brand new,couple of things dropped off it on the highway on the way home.The van is a wonderful idea, tows beautifully,a bit heavy but it does have a strong chassis,for the off road bit,easy to revers,need a 2 tonn vehicle to tow it or could have trouble stopping in the wet.The whole idea fantastic.Now a little on the most important side,first leaking,yes my did leak through the toilet/shower, it poured in while driveing, but of course went out the shower plug hole until i resealed allaround the toilet trapdoor.Then while driveing again, the whole inside would flood, until i resealed all round the gas bottle door,not enough,so the wheel arches were also not sealed,so driveing in the rain it flooded all inside.then the rear roofhatch began to leak over the bed, now tis took a good while to overcome with fitting a neww hatch to a size which is also unavailable,to retrofit it $500,but not too comfortable for 6weeks in Tassie last winter! All the laminex tops and cupboards,Just peeled off, had to be all restuck down.Dusty roads, well not too bad,but you will have to go through a bit of draft excluder from Bunnings.Buy the way the manufacterers will not look at you after 12 months off course.So if you have 48 weeks to spend working on it, to travel for 4weeks a year it sure will keep you occupied.Im very sorry no way would i ever go through this again,you could employ a handyman fulltime,Bernice, i am very sorry it would be like a sentance.Im sorry to tell you like this, but its just a small bit of my tail but true. Any more questions i will answer,but therll be the truthJohn

Bernice

Thanks for that john,what year is yours,what is a good caravan,that doesn't have problems hey.
We have a penguin ob jayco.
I think I might just stick with that,
I want to update,I was looking at the eco 510 tourer off road ,I like the lay out,but I want something that doesn't leak an fell apart.
Thanks for feed back

aussienomadasked

510 Off-Road

Off-Highway vs Off-Road - What are the limitations of the Off-Highway?
We've recently bought a 5 yo Off-Highway ET. Has anyone been to Camerons' Corner with an Off-Highway. I've seen TassyTerry's post, but they have an Off-Roader. I've also seen the responses travelling about the GRR with Off-Highway models. I guess I'm trying to figure out the limitations of our unit. Any comments would be appreciated. I reckon the ET would go most places that we've been with our old camper trailer, but we can't afford to trash it either.

mountainman

GDay there aussienomad,For me this is quite a difficult question,as i tend to tell the truth which can be painful,i will try not to go on too much but i can assur you every word is the truth.I have been through Camerons corner, Birdsville, up to boulia,turned right down through the Dimatina,all very isolated spots,also Kosiuscko nat park, places i should never have gone, it happens,All off road are limited so dont be too hard on it. However after a couple of years i was driveing along a bituemin road just out of Braidwood crossed a bump which some bridges have where the bituemin and bridge meet and guess what the spring which holds the axle to the shackle broke! so the axle just went free! thankfully i wasnt travelling too fast as the axle and wheel jamed up against the chassis, if i was travelling faster the van would have jumped off the axle and gone who knows where.I got home 200 klms,(being a bushy) by useing fencing wire twisted very tightlaround the rear shackle and axle.Now i tried to buy replacement springs for both sides,not possible,made in India with poor quality steel,however there was a place in Sth Aust who wil make them for you, i didnt follow up.I did call in at a truck and trailer business, now he gave me really good info on how to fit new springs allround as thats what was needed.First i had to get 2 new sets,Now these a very poor quality with very little flex (spring action hitting a potthole) so of course they snap, they are also made too short, again no flex,I forget how many leaves there are in each set, maby 7, so you have to pull the springs apart and slide number 5 spring out, throw it away,reassemble the leaf springs,on the chassis is a bumper rubber, unscrew that throw it away too.Im not sure which leaf i took out but if yoyr going to do the job recontact me, i have heaps of records after spending many many weekends working on the thing,there is not one thing i havent had to fix after EVERY trip of more than 100 klm. Also be careful on rough roads as my spare wheel dropped off,the welding just came apart.My friend thats about it just on this subject,carry plenty of spares (i even carry a spare set of springs)I am sorry but i did tell you the truth as promised. I have never had trouble on rough roads since i modified the springs,oh, drop the tyre pressurres to about 40lbs, it will help to take the shock of a pothole (i also 4wd not with the van)Dont have the tyre pressures as they recommend, rather replace a tyre than 2 sets of springs.As i have said before i cannot think of any part i havent worked on the mongrel from roofhatch to toilet, none of them easy.Come back to me anytime.Good luck nomad, John.

aussienomad

Wow!! Sounds like you've got a lemon. I certainly hope our experience is more pleasant. Thanks for the reply John.

Compare all 6 Ecotourer 510 Range
Main Bed SizeDouble and SingleDouble
Bathroom / Laundry InclusionsShower and Toilet
Exterior Features240V Power Point and Awning240V Power Point and Awning
Interior FeaturesFan and TVFan and TV
Kitchen InclusionsFridge, Microwave, Oven and SinkFridge, Microwave, Oven and Sink
Compare all 6 Ecotourer 510 Range