Ford Falcon FG X

Ford Falcon FG X (2014-2016)

See the Best Sedans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Best car ever except for Ford not warranting the diff

Diff started to whine between 76-83 kph less than 15,000 k complained about the noise the service people advised to learn to live with it as the next diff could be worse asked for a replacement, went through a major illness and went back to the dealer nothing had been done drove until the 30,000 k service eventually had the new diff fitted at 43,000 k this diff lasted less than 3000k with noises from 92-98 kph complained to he dealer, today received call from Ford who advised that this is normal. I have had most models of Falcons from the XD and only the BA had a diff problem which was fixed most of my Falcons had over 200,000k with no issues my current FG has over 200,000 no noise the FGX only has the diff problem because Ford repair with reconditioned parts with the gear sets made in India not Australia.
Up until this vehicle I have never had an issue with Ford warranties this car has been the worst I have had the misfortune to own never again time for a new brand.
After a lot of research apparently there are two issues one a structural the other knowledge. The 2.73 diff ratio has a larger pinion and reduced thickness crown it is this that causes all of the 2.73 ratio issues they have to be set up correctly and torqued up correctly and you still need to pray, Ford has also lost access to the experienced staff as the factory has been moved to Thailand.
I have found a Ford IRS diff specialist and will have him fix the diff soon then complete a root cause analysis on the failure and present this to Ford.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

I wish they still made the Aussie built Falcon

Picked up a Nov 2014 built XR6 from a Ford dealer in March this year. Immaculate example in every way only 18000km on clock mostly highway one owner vehicle. The old guy that had it before me is a Blue Oval man just like me. Great car effortless power. Just eats up the highway miles. This is the 2nd Falcon I've owned they both have been great.
This is easily the best Falcon yet. I'm not sure why some of the review's aren't always glowing. To bad they don't make them anymore.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

FGX G6E- The Best was saved til last!

This car is quite simply the best I have ever owned. I have owned all sorts of makes and models - BMW, VW, Toyota and this has all the luxury, power, comfort, looks and most all reliability you could want. I have the G6E which has electric everything, sat nav, digital radio and heaps of other goodies that give even most Euro cars of its era a run for the money. Super reliable and bulletproof engine; the inline 6 cylinder has been a staple for years by Ford Australia and has been further refined. Furthermore parts and servicing is cheap. It’s a shame that the FG X Falcon fell into obscurity - I have people say “nice car, what is it?” To which when I tell them it is a Falcon, they seem a little bewildered!!

Overall- do yourself a favour- they look great, are super comfy and reliable and you can pick them up for a fraction of anything else remotely similar in specifications.

BadgeG6E
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Best Ford I have ever driven.

Bought new Oct 2016. Standard xr6 heavy duty tow bar. Can tow caravan with ease. Great performance and trouble free. 38,000 klms done and one warranty claim for washer motor. Can't blame Ford. The company that supplied them can take that one. Great car . Reliable love it. Great dealership. One of the rare ones that know how to treat a customer. This last of the falcon is a true Aussie and yes I do know where the auto gearbox is made. The engine is a ripper and suits my needs. Service is cheap compared to a four wheel drive . You don't leave the dealership with your hands around your ankles. Fuel consumption is very good and with my driving I get between 8.5 to 10.5. My wife averages about 8.5..If someone considers one as a used purchase I reckon you will have a smile on your dial these things are that good even in base spec. Test drive one and you will see what I mean.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Satellite Navigatio Update Nightmare

Hi I bought a Falcon G6E MarkII in June 2013. It is a nice car with factory fitted Satellite Navigation and LPG. I tried to update the maps on the Sat/Nav and that is when the problem started. Ford Head Office was not aware that my vehicle had factory fitted Sat/Nav System on board. It took me three emails and many phone calls to convince them of it. It gets better! Eventually a lady, after checking on a brochure similar to the one I was reading from, said yes you are right, your car has it factory fitted. Now, to get it updated, you have to order a voucher through a dealer; he will ask the voucher from us and then he will download the new maps onto a laptop computer to copy them onto a flash drive and then install it on your car. Woof! What a mouth full. I received a call from a dealer, whom had been informed by Ford, and he confirmed what the lady said and added:" you have to hurry because after December 2017 these vouchers won't be available anymore". At this stage I asked what is going to cost me. Well including the installation is around $350.00. Thank you Ford for being so good and charitable. My old TOTOM will be reactivated and updated free on my PC. After paying over $50,000.00 for the car I did not think I had to have so many problems and spend so much money to update the Sat/Nav. After being a Ford man, since 1972, I have decided to change brand. Oscar Altavilla

BadgeG6E EcoLPi
Date PurchasedJun 2013

A very sad loss for Australia

Purchased my 2016 FGX XR6 in Victory Gold last week and have to say I'm incredibly happy with it. It is such an engaging drive and such a beautiful car to look at. I take my hat off to Ford Australia for creating the FGX Falcon and SZ II territory on only $103 million. Phenomenal.
Car drives like a dream, very fuel efficient, very responsive. Very well equipped even in the XR6 aspirated. You cannot go wrong. For the price I paid for my 2016 XR6 Falcon I could have bought a Hyundai that has no soul and is purely an appliance. Value for money.

Very impressed, try and get your hands on one before they all disappear.... you will regret it if you miss out!

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Nearly Perfect - except for the rattles and squeaks

Great ride on the highway and in the twisty roads. Seats 5 people no problem and the automatic 6 speed transmission is smooth and holds the gear you need when in the hills.
I don't mind the "falcon high" seating position and I'm 6 foot tall.
Base model FGX XR6 brand new on sale for $32k which is incredible.
4 litre engine is fantastic and gets 10.3L / 100km city on 91oct which is great.
68L tank which gives over 630kms range in town - just be gentle with your right foot.
Plenty of power and room. Nearly perfect car.

HOWEVER, there are some interior rattles and squeaks that are unacceptable in a new car that's done only 12,000km's. The passenger seat rattles when no one sits in it, so does the B-pillar trim right next to my head, and there is one behind the touchscreen on the dash.
Most of these happen when on a rough / country road, will fix them myself with foam / tape but shouldn't have to with a brand new car.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Nearly perfect- if it didn't rattle so much!

I don't mind the "falcon high" seating position and I'm 6 foot tall.
Base model FGX XR6 brand new on sale for $32k which is incredible.
Plenty of power and room. Nearly perfect car.

The Best Work Ute I ever had

So easy to live with , love the voice control, comfy seats and the way the engine just purrs along effortlessly . It makes going to work so much more enjoyable , and that's important as I run my own business and spend a lot of time driving from one job to another. The LPi makes it very economical to run , and what a bonus to have more power than petrol. It is a real shame that I will not be able to replace this Ute with another Falcon when the time come to update . I have had 6 new Falcons since the BA's averaging 250000 km when replaced , and have never lost a days work . They really did leave the best till last.

BodyUte
Date PurchasedJan 2016

Absolutely love driving this car!!!

I use vortex 98 premium petrol and car runs quite smoothly and gives better average. It's bit expensive to run on premium quality petrol but the noise and performance it give when you accelerate that car is unbelievable. I love the legroom and dashboard design. I like the overall design of the car. I have Audi A5 as well but I prefer driving this car. My wife drives Audi A5. The only thing, I will improve is the back seats design.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

This a perfect car for me

So easy & safe comfortable reliable.Being a pensioner I need to know I have a safe reliable car Ive driven Fords since I was 18 Im now 69 yrs old. I couldn't ask for a better car. My Grandchildren love it too. My partner has failed eye sight so I do all the driving.

BadgeClassic Futura
Engine Size6cyl
Date PurchasedApr 2016

PERFECTION ON WHEELS

As a replacement for our slightly tired BFII XR6, we bought a brand new FGX XR6 with the LPI motor. This is way the best car I have driven, considerably better than the two Cadillac DTS's we drove in the USA (rental cars). LPI makes the LP Gas experience complete. There is NO gas converter, just a one or two second delay before it's ready to start, without needing petrol. Comfort, performance and running costs are all excellent. Driving the 260 km to bring it home from Campbelltown cost us about $20, and my regular trips to and from Canberra around $10. Synch 2 is very impressive, far the best GPS system I have used and really useful for hands free dialling on my mobile. LOVE IT!

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Saved the best till last

Having owned Falcons previously which were great cars the FGX is just a big step forward. I love the Sync 2 with built in bluetooth and ease of changing radio stations verbally so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel, meaning a safer driving experience. It is just the right size car for a family and is economical to run, using premium 95 I average around 9 lt per 100km on short runs and recently on a trip from Sydney to Singleton and back the average consumption was 7 lt per 100 km which is great for a car this size and power.
The only problem I had was in sourcing a car with a manual gearbox as most dealers were not interested in obtaining one and one dealer in particular was not interested in selling Falcons and tried to talk me into a Ford Ranger. Ford need to train their salesmen how to sell cars.
This however will be the last Ford that I will buy as the cars they are now importing are mostly front wheel drive and are made in third world countries to very poor standards.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

The last of the bread

Well all I can say is bloody brilliant test drove the car and bought on the spot interior is all that you need in the car and easier than what people say . And the seat position is not as bad as people say and I'm a tall person and I drive 500 kilometers a week freeway and traffic every day and I use between 55 and 60 liters a week and it is one of the last fords that really drive greater than I could possibly imagine cannot live without it

BadgeXR8
Date PurchasedMar 2016
Engine Size5 litre supercharged

Slick and quick

By far the best car I've owned, has enough tech to feel modern but not too much so it still feel like old school muscle. The drl look great, day or night. The turbo feels awesome and responses fast. Not that keen on the roll bars but they can be removed. Handles great.

BodyUte
Date PurchasedJun 2016

Most underrated car on the market.

I test drove a lot of cars with no badge bias in mind, and then finally a Ford falcon FG x G6E ,ride comfort & seat comfort were the priority, and this vehicle creamed every thing, vehicles from Europe inclusive. Amidst the gossip or consensus from the average Australian bogans who really don't have a clue, I also test drove the famous "Ozzie" badged car to find the seats were nothing short of atrocious, I came out of short test drive with an aching back. The Calais seats were better, but who can put up with the gypsy caravan dash???
Having owned a BMW 5 Series for 5 years, the drive, handling, quietness, of this vehicle was nothing short of amazing. The FG X is so close. Put a piece of tape over the blue oval on the steering wheel and I defy anyone to tell the difference between this and any luxury car from Europe. Normally aspirated In-line 6's performance is very spirited, there is no want for power. it has heaps! and constantly uses 10.5-11.0L/100kms around the city. Something the so-called "Economical diesel's" cannot really do much better. Big engine-means lazy, not working hard to achieve. ZF Transmission-perfect. Smooth and quick, Something DSG's and CVT's are not.
An absolute luxury bargain, which equals anything from Europe and excels the rubbish from Asia..
Grab one before there are gone forever, and what will we replace this gem with???

BadgeG6E
Date PurchasedJun 2016

Last of the Falcons and the best by far

This car looks a bit plain and dated from the inside, but has everything you'll ever need including front/rear parking sensors, reverse camera, sat nav, sync 2 ( one voice command system that actually works) bluetooth with music, and a nice guage layout. As well as the usual climate control air that most cars of today get. The Leather seats are comfortable and look great, the steering wheel looks and feels good too, however it is missing lights to steering controls. My only other gripe is that the premium sound system could be a little louder, as this car is not the quiet type. However if you like a raw performance car that allows you to drive the way you like to, this car is for you. It's loud when driven hard ( due to pressure controlled bimodal exhaust valves that open on hard accelaration), plus the nice blower winde! I'm of couse reffering to the XR8 335 Supercharged version here. I'm still running mine in, with occassional full throttle burst and love this cars performance throughout the entire rev range. It rides hard and bumpy due to upgraded suspension, this is by no means a luxury performance sedan, it's as raw as a V8 can get these days. So if you like to hear and feel the Road and like it to flash by, this is your type of car, if you like it smooth and quiet but quick, walk away. I'm in my late 40's and love this thing, my favourite car to date and that's after 49 vehicles in total! Enjoy! Will post any problem, if they come up.

BadgeXR8
Engine Size5.0 Supercharged

Best car ever!!!

What a fantastic car. Straight off the bat I am a life long Holden fan and also own a V6 VE Commodore dual fuel ute and a 2005 CV8 Monaro but this is the most comfortable car ever. We were looking for car to tow our caravan as the Holden utes (as we later found out) are only rated to tow 1600Kg and the Falcon suited the job requirements best and here's why..
We wanted a car's ride and handling when not towing so a dual cab was out. We didn't want a 4WD platform either so our choices were limited to Commodore or Falcon as none of the Japanese or Euro cars had the towing capacity required. LPG was a priority as well, but the LPG Holden only has 325N/m of torque where as the LPG Falcon has 410N/m a difference in torque which I really notice with the van on the back. The Holden V6 sounds much more thrashy compared to the smooth straight 6 in the Falcon. We purchased an XR6 Falcon brand new in Canberra with floor mats, mud flaps and HD tow bar for $36,000 drive away. Bargain!!! We could have saved another $2000 and had leather seats if we went to Melbourne but that's another story.
I find it hard to believe that these cars are not selling and Ford and Holden are closing down. I guess that eventually we will be forced into some kind of SUV as well. Pity.
Pros:
I really like the handling. Sticks like glue to the road. Would out handle the Monaro I think.
Steering is light and direct.
Ride is beautifully smooth and supple.
It's very quiet inside.
Engine is smooth, quiet and has plenty of pulling power.
Transmission is smooth and decisive.
LPG option.
Large perfectly flat boot floor due to LPG tank underneath.
Black roof lining looks good.
Plenty of leg room. I'm 2 meters tall.
Seats are comfortable on long trips.
Love the front end styling and LED DRL's
Doors will allow decent ratcheting style towing mirrors to be fitted. Commodore won't.
Cons:
No dual fuel option. Just petrol or LPG. Can cause range anxiety.
No spare wheel, just a pump and sealant. Not good enough in rural Australia. It won't fix a blow out.
Some kind of spare in the boot on a mount should be optional! I carry a full size spare, etc. but can't fix it down.
Drink bottle holders in the doors are pathetic. I can't find a bottle that will fit. Take a look at VE/ VF Commodore.
No GPS as standard. Standard on the 2016 XR6 models though.
When using the sports shift mode the transmission handle feel backwards. That's my opinion anyway.
Except for the spare wheel issue, these are only minor problems for a car I would recommend to anyone.
It's a world quality vehicle at a bargain price.

Engine Size4.0L

Perfect Car For Business & Pleasure

I have only had my new FG X XR6 Turbo Falcon with a Manual box in silver for 1 month and done approximately 1500 km, and to date have not experienced a single problem (only time will tell) not even a rattle or a squeak. Having previously owned 9 Commodores many of which I purchased new and all of which were pretty good cars and some of them excellent (particularly VT Commodore Olympic, VZ SV6 & VE SV6 Sportwagon SIDI of which I still own)
I wanted a large family sporty sedan with a bit of grunt I could use for business and pleasure on the weekend (I also considered VF sv6, VF SS, Chrysler 300s, Subaru WRX and Jeep Grand Cherokee)
In the end I narrowed it down to SS & the XR6 Turbo and I'm sure I would have been happy with either vehicle but decided on the Falcon because I have always wanted one (Turbo) as there a little more unique and I was able to get a great deal on the Ford.
I almost ruled the Falcon out based on what the media reviews state as poor driving position (seat to high - steering wheel to low), I have had no issues with this at all and immediately felt at home, comfortable and regularly swap from the Sportwagon and back Falcon with no problems.
The Sportwagon now feels a little under powered and a little soft in the suspension compared to Falcon although still a great family car with a lot of luggage space.
Any way I am very please with the car so far and really enjoy the way it looks, power delivery, the way it drives and the Sync 2 navigation, voice control etc.
I'm also so enjoying going back to manual box after many years of driving autos and being more evolved in driving experience and extra control over the car.
Fuel consumption at this early stage is a little more than Commodore, but I haven't done any longer trips as yet.
Will update this review in a few months time

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Cannot wait to drive it again and again

Recently purchased an FGX XR8 $64000 drive away and what a beast it is, you get a DTP with Rspec suspension in a falcon body new front and rear, interior is leather with hugging seats black roof makes you feel snug, this is an extremely refined car, there is no heaviness of the 2010 XR8, windows up its a lovely town car then, you hit the loud pedal and it is this other car, supercharger singing race feel and sound, you would be forgiven for thinking you were at Bathurst.

For the last falcon V8 ever Ford have gone for muscle car with refinement, if you want every gadget known to man bu a Commodore SS redline, but if you want to feel your balls grow again buy this be quick there is only 1200