Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

4.2

Robin Marchment

Robin MarchmentGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great service and premiums.

Good choice of cover. Good premiums. Great service. Any query always answered promptly, clearly and courteously. I've been with Frank for about 6 years. Check other funds each year but always stay with Frank.

Ariadna R.

Ariadna R.Sydney, NSW

Attention migrants! Got charged for Lifetime Health Cover even got hospital cover immediately

I just realised that for the last 3 years I was charged for LHC even as a migrant who got immediately (within 365 days) a private health cover since got a Permanent Residency (and entering the country) I'm not suppose to pay it. And this is about 100$ per month!
Send a request for a refund. Membership Number 245260

Coverage TypeCouple
Jennifer

JenniferGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

affordable cover

I have given Franks a run for my money, when I make a query or complain they have always been professional & responsive, and attended to my claims quickly, also my I had a issue with my LTH Cover, I found where the error was it was from previous fund and Frank refunded my monies straight away. thank you

Arthur

ArthurGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Affordable and good coverage

Claim DateJune 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

I am extremely satisfied with Frank Insurance.

My policy is good value.
Bountify were a great company that recommended Frank Ins. and helped me set it up.
Claims usually happen immediately. Adjustments are made by the service provider.
I joined Frank 30-6-2015 (five years)

marilyn

marilynSydney Surrounds, NSW

can't live without health cover

no claim as yet, ask me in a months time
Don't know card doesn't say
Don't ask people to do a survey then tell then how many words to right, that is very rude, if you're not satisfied don't ask

Gee

Gee

Health insurance as it should be - Simple and affordable

The best health insurer I've used so far- Frank make it very easy to claim on the spot or online. There is no catch with Frank, you get your rebates no matter where you go - no need to go to a 'choice' providers selected by your health insurer.

Great perfect

Easy access with on hand personnel to answer any queries with claims and questions on what your policy covers.
Ive been a member for approximately 10 years and i can't fault them

Claim MadeNo

dropped optical provider without notification

Frank dropped my optical dispensor vision direct with no notice to customers who have been using them regularly. Now $300 out of pocket. I can return my prescription glasses but wont get refunded for the lenses. They state vision direct is not australian, however they promote "clearly" who are also international

Suzanne Melbourne

Suzanne MelbourneVictoria

Not supportive of COVID - 19 Health practises

My son suffers from migraines , so we were recommended to see a Dietician. We did this , but it was a CONFERENCE CALL due to COVID - 19 new practises .
This was certainly not our choice but that of the Clinic.
We were billed $150 , but FRANK HEALTH will not pay this claim .
The service is part of my Benefit , but they will not pay as it was not face to face .
How disgraceful is this .
I will be moving my Health Insurance to a FUND that is responding properly to the current world.
Not happy at all .

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Heidi Kessell

Heidi KessellGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very slow and unresponsive

Horrible experience with Frank, I have been waiting for a claim to be finalised for 4 months. Each time I call I have to explain the situation and sit on the phone for ages and I don’t get any assistance or any initiative to try and finalise the claim. Really poor service.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Singh

SinghSydney, NSW

Good for me

Policy now good value and easy to set up third time around after putting in alot of homework first and reading fine prints .i had to ask alot of questions and now understand how my policy will work for me.being here 9 months.have made no claims so far.

Dodgy and unclear.

Hospital rang frank to tell them i most likely had pancreatic cancer (i dont thank god) and needed emergency surgery, frank couldn't clarify if i was 100 percent covered, no matter who you spoke with. The liason at the hospital told me they were the worst health insurer she's ever had to deal with, and that they bwere scamming me. Also rang to see if i was covered for a 3 hour endoscopy, turns out i am which means i don't have to pay 485 for the procedure, but i have to pay frank 750 for hospital excess. So it would literally be cheaper to not use my health insurance which i pay 107 a month for.

Veronika

VeronikaSydney, NSW

Love Frank

Every time I use my Frank card the providers can't believe the value I get back. Also the customer service is excellent. Recommend them all the time to friends and family.

Review collected in partnership with Frank Health Insurance

top cover and you offer me no card, big delay, crap online portal, crap customer services and no compensation!!!

Signed up in 12/12/19 for a top cover. The card is never been sent out. 1st and 2nd time spoke to consultant they said WAIT. 3rd time they said they will resend. Another week they text “card just being sent pls wait another 5-7 business days”. Called them again, they said they are doing the right thing, claim can be made online, their annual limit on their website is not working and you must call them to know the limit, you must paid for expensive item and it is not their faults. Again, it is top cover and you offer me no card, crap online portal, crap customer services and no compensation!!!

Giarc

GiarcSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good Coverage, Easy to deal with

Good value for the hospital & essential extras bundle. Have been with them for a few years, and even got money back. No issues with hospital day surgery claims. I would like to see a choice for the excess instead of the $750 only being offered and 50% for Day Surgery.

Luke

LukeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Frank are neat

Extras are great value. 50/80% pay-back at the counter makes appointments with allied health providers so affordable! Haven't had to use hospital so can't comment about that. Online systems are a little buggy/confusing (and if you ever have to call be prepared for a long wait), but the team are pleasant and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Frank Health Insurance

Great coverage, competitive price

I was introduced to Frank through iSelect. I had actually chosen them myself firstly but iSelect confirmed my choice. I have only been with Frank for a few years but have had to have made several claims during that time. The claim process has been really easy and I have even unexpectedly received money back at the end of the year. The only negative thing I would say is that they are only contactable Monday to Friday during business hours.

Bcc

BccSouth East Queensland, QLD

Claiming Cancer Council products is a nightmare

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2020
Peita

PeitaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Frank health is a great value and customer service

I’ve been with Frank for over 2 years now. Easy to set up with very helpful friendly staff and easy to do claims online and only a few days to process.

Claim DateDecember 2019

Christine W

Christine Wasked

We have been with Frank for 3 years and they have been very professional when ever I need to find out anything to do with our policy and claims would recommend them to anyone. The only thing I don't know is if our policy is from January to December or does it restart from financial year.

k.pringle
k.pringle

Hi....well i guess you are lucky. I had a terrible time with them

lisasmith

lisasmithasked

Is everyone’s excess going up by 50% on the 1st April 2019? Or just ours? Friends with different providers are not experiencing an increase.

Kerry Edwards

yes from the first of April

Frank Health Insurance FFrank Health Insurance

Hi Lisa,

I can't speak for all health insurers, but as I understand it a large portion of providers are electing to increase the excess level on certain policies. The reason that Frank has chosen to increase the excess level, is that we are committed to keeping premiums as low as possible. Generally speaking, a higher excess means a lower premium!

Thanks for getting in touch.

Zac - Team Frank

Amrie

Amrieasked

Hi, if i was to transfer over to frankinsurance from defence health does the wait period still apply for transfers? Thank you

David Flint
David Flint

Ask Frank, they may have a no wait clause or the like which may be beneficial.

Frank Health Insurance FFrank Health Insurance

Hi Amri,
Thanks for your question.
When you transfer to Frank, we will honour any waiting periods you have already served with your current fund for a similar level of cover as long as you have not had a gap longer than 30 days in between health funds.
Regardless of the level of extras cover you have with them, we will give you continuity of cover, it will only depend on how long you have held your cover with them that may have an impact. The hospital cover is different, however, if you transfer to Frank on a higher level of cover than what you held previously, you will have waiting periods for the procedures that you were not previously covered for.

If you have any further questions I would suggest contacting us via phone, web chat or email our contact information can be located here https://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/contact.
Regards,