Frank Health Insurance

Always happy to help, no excuses to pay!

Great value, great service! Been with them 2.5 years and all claims were paid without any hassles! Can highly recommend Frank. Even had a shortfall paid back to us without submitting the claim!

Claim DateJuly 2019

Great Health Insurance company

This health insurance company is great. Customer service is friendly and efficient. They have good value for money policies and payouts when claiming are high. They pay the same no matter where you go.

Claim ApprovedYes

This is a must have insurance

Is great value have been with frank for around 2 years, I have had many offers from other health co but I find frank health insurance to be the best by far.

Book AgainYes

So far so good, and expect this to continue

Policy is great value, only offering the things I need not offering me things that are of absolutely no use to me as is offered by my current health fund

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim MadeNo

Excellent private health insurance, great customer service

Great value for the policy, I have been on their extras for a couple of years now. It was easy to set up. Customer service is excellent, especially with their live chat. you can pretty much ask anything, and their staff is all very helpful and friendly (most of the time). Especially this person Shareena, she is very friendly and help me deal with what I needed.

you can lodge a claim online, and usually you'll receive it within a week.

I've been with them for 3 years now.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Excellent fund to deal with. Very happy.

I don't think any funds are good value but Frank softens the impact with open and friendly service. All our claims have been settled in an acceptable time.
As best I can recall I have been with Frank for approximately 6-8 years.

Claim ApprovedYes

No more frank health insurance it's cheap but they don't return your hospital expenses.

I bought visitor family health insurance 2years ago. This month first time I lodge a claim which is $500 return but they start playing games and sad bring multiple docs from hospital. I ask hospital they sad we never ever giving these forms to patients even we don't have. I have all invoices which is i already provide to insurance company but they won't help me. Before I was with allianz they bit expensive but good when ever I lodge claim they made more easier for us and return. No more Good by Frank

Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Best choice we made was switching to Frank

Yes most certainly good value compared to other funds.
I had never heard of Frank before so was hesitant but had no problems at all.
We were with HCF for many years and it just kept going up in price.

Claim ApprovedYes

Decent enough insurance, but needs improvement

I opted out of Medibank after 20 years and chose to go with Frank, partly as it was cheaper and also local to where I lived in Geelong. Me, my wife and our baby are all on a medium level of hospital cover/basic extras for 2 years or so now.

I haven't claimed anything significant, so cant comment on that. Overall, it seems ok, though pretty damn expensive for a "budget" provider ($3200k/year for us as a couple + $750 excess per claims) for what you get, although I guess all providers have put their rates up. Its nice to not have to deal with overseas call centres, as all their staff are based in Geelong.

Their online live chat is pretty useful, and you can nearly always get hold of someone over the phone too. Their online system is reasonable but fairly archaic, the clearly dont put a lot of money into their IT. Its also really confusing too, the online help articles are not useful at all. For instance, if you have a couples policy, you will both be on the same policy but have separate claims for different items. So it will show a couples claim limit but its not actually applicable, really confusing.

I think you need to check your hospital cover exclusions very carefully to see what is and isn't covered. They wont provide you a list of codes that they pay claims on for medicare rebate items, so you need to ask them every time to see if your issue is covered by their health insurance. This seems kind of weird they wont do that, and in theory they could exclude a lot of things from your cover without you even knowing about it, despite you paying thousands a year. Be careful with this.

They also make a LOT of mistakes with admin things, I mean a lot, and I have constantly had to follow up with them. There needs to be a lot of improvement here. Here is an extensive list over 2.5 years or so:

- They advertise this promotional discount for initially signing up, but didn't actually apply it, and I had to write to them to follow up their own promotion, and then they got the figure wrong a second time! More follow up. End date of my initial membership application was also incorrect, and I had to follow up.
- My wife incorrectly had LHC loading applied, despite her application having all the correct info. More effort to follow up with them.
- When I later tried to add my wife to our policy and pay the difference for her part of the policy, they weren't able to set this up for me and then gave incorrect dates and figures yet again. Had to follow up for a 4th of 5th time!
- They then didn't send a letter or new card to my wife, and then had to go to several appointments and make a claim later. So several hours of stuffing around just to get my wife on our own policy with her own card.
- One of the most frustrating was simply trying to pay through their online portal. Their IT was malfunctioning and it didn't allow you to enter a number in the box....it would just come out as 0, so essentially you couldn't pay. I started live chat and called them so I could pay like $1500 for a years membership, and they weren't able to solve it, and also didn't present another way to pay. So just like that, I nearly had to bail on the membership because of their shoddy IT.

Their complaints/feedback system is very slow and they never really addressed any of these concerns.

So, overall while I think they are 'bad', they are not 'terrible' like Bupa and Medibank, so I remain with them still. Just really need to get their act together with the above issues. Private health insurance, a necessary evil! Or unnecessary evil....?

My Life Savers

Having needed to go through quadruple bypass surgery almost 3years ago the fact that Frank covered every single cent of the over $27,000 was an absolute godsend thank you Frank

Claim DateSeptember 2016
Claim ApprovedYes

Great service do far and no issues.

Policy is good, no issues so far. But only issue is we hardly use anything and pay so much every month and get nothing in return. Hope they will decrease premiums

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim DateSeptember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Great service and value for money

I recently called Frank health insurance for a quote for my sons health insurance. The staff member was excellent. He took the time to get know my sons needs and the reasoning behind my choices steering me in the right direction. The price was good for the cover and waiting times are a little shorter than some companies on the market. Because of this I had 3 of my adult children sign up with them recently.
Value for money and kind service.

Book AgainYes

Decent offering - screwed up billing causing headaches

I have basic + simple extras on no tier (that is I make too much to receive a government rebate).

First thing that is annoying is that basic doesn't come with ambulance insurance and there isn't a simple separate ambulance cover, otherwise I would've chosen that over simple extras. I spoke to a customer support agent on the phone and they tried to seriously claim that I would be covered for ambulance in NSW/ACT for those specific states - which is completely false after calling each respective government agency (but admittedly unclear from the respective websites).

Anyway, simple covers is alright, I was able to use dental without waiting period and got an alright benefit (dental code 011 - calculus removal [i.e. hygienic clean], cost $175, benefit from frank $60.20).

What annoyed me is that I changed payment details to a new credit card I received through the website, payments didn't go through for 2 weeks, and finally they sent an email saying I had to _call_ to fix a billing issue. I checked the website first and all payment details disappeared. So I called and the voice recording said I had to wait 5 minutes, but didn't speak to an operator until the 9-10 min mark. This is another annoying point of Frank - getting ahold of customer support is painful. It's not important that I speak with someone urgently but they should offer a callback service via (1) their website using the member services, this way they have the details upfront and call and (2) their on-hold music should allow you to preempt with a callback service.

Happy with Frank!

Very good customer service! They go beyond to help you. I was having a dilema on my cover but they offered a solution and helped me and they covered the cost of my procedure. Happy Im with Frank!

Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for sharing your feedback ATag! Always glad we can solve a problem.

The worst and lowest pay out for coverage

I was with frank insurance for a number of years. Paid huge amount each month and got bugger all when it was time to claim from my surgery. Was told by the medical staff / receptionist that FRANK is the lowest paying health insurance.
The staff do not properly tell you the complete cost and because they left out a few certain words like ' combined total" I was in for a rude shock when I had to pay more money than thought.
Be aware

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

The worst health insurance ever

The worst cover I ever had. Please be aware that what you actually covered. 485 visa holders they covered pregnancy as the details but actually cover only delivery charges. This is the worst health insurance I ever had and bad customer service as well.

Book AgainNo

Thinking to Switch

My wife is with frank for a year and a half now. She has the most expensive cover including hospital and 80% extras paying $235 monthly for a single. We had hoped she was covered for everything. However now that it's the time to use it, every quote we getting from frank, compared with other insurers has less coverage. If going to doctors, receptions now saying if you were with HBF, BUPA or ... you would have gotten full refund. So don't get tricked by ratings, as I did 2 years ago, just go with the well known health insurers. When it's the time to claim, as soon as you send any health services code to them, they will return to you we don't cover this or cover it way less than other insurers. So it's not about the way they claim on their website they have you covered, it's all about the service code they will cover. They won't tell you about service codes but general information. Don't get tricked.

Book AgainNo

Losing it's edge

With recent changes, Frank doesn't have seemed to kept up value for money-wise. I hope to be changing insurance soon but just doing my final checks. (NB: Looking like AHM or health.com.au)

Good cover

I have already been in hospital this year and paid $500 excess and now been told that I have to pay another $250 excess in July when I go in again because of the excess now being $750. I was told previously that I was covered for the year and wouldn’t have to pay again when I asked so I stayed with Frank who I have been happy with but $750 excess for an overnight or day surgery is just too much.

Great extras coverage

Recently joined at end of 2018, when I go to places and my partner also goes, the receptionist always looks at my card funny with a "who's Frank" and then when they see how minimal my gap payment is,
Really easy claims process and never had an issue.
Cheers, Frank!

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear that you are happy with your Frank cover. If you ever require assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. Kindest Regards, Melanie Team Frank

We have been with Frank for 3 years and they have been very professional when ever I need to find out anything to do with our policy and claims would recommend them to anyone. The only thing I don't know is if our policy is from January to December or does it restart from financial year.
Hi....well i guess you are lucky. I had a terrible time with them

Is everyone’s excess going up by 50% on the 1st April 2019? Or just ours? Friends with different providers are not experiencing an increase.
yes from the first of AprilHi Lisa, I can't speak for all health insurers, but as I understand it a large portion of providers are electing to increase the excess level on certain policies. The reason that Frank has chosen to increase the excess level, is that we are committed to keeping premiums as low as possible. Generally speaking, a higher excess means a lower premium! Thanks for getting in touch. Zac - Team Frank

Hi, if i was to transfer over to frankinsurance from defence health does the wait period still apply for transfers? Thank you
yesAsk Frank, they may have a no wait clause or the like which may be beneficial.Hi Amri, Thanks for your question. When you transfer to Frank, we will honour any waiting periods you have already served with your current fund for a similar level of cover as long as you have not had a gap longer than 30 days in between health funds. Regardless of the level of extras cover you have with them, we will give you continuity of cover, it will only depend on how long you have held your cover with them that may have an impact. The hospital cover is different, however, if you transfer to Frank on a higher level of cover than what you held previously, you will have waiting periods for the procedures that you were not previously covered for. If you have any further questions I would suggest contacting us via phone, web chat or email our contact information can be located here https://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/contact. Regards, Melanie Team Frank

CategoryHealth Insurance