Gardenline (Aldi) Petrol Mower

Gardenline (Aldi) Petrol Mower

Grass collects in entrance to catcher

Bought the 196cc unit on 2 March 2019. Not too difficult to put together. Used it for the first time on 24 March.

First problem was the front wheels kept digging in making it almost impossible to push the unit forward so I had to raise the level by 2 notches to overcome this

Then I noticed that the cut grass kept being left on the lawn and on removing the catcher found that it was almost empty but the grass was all clogged in the entrance to the catcher. The opening from mower to catcher seems too small. Very poor design.

Had to keep lifting the rear flap and clearing the shute in order for the catcher to fill. A real pain. Also, every time you do this the engine shuts off as you have to release the throttle lever to use both hands to open the rear flap and clear the blockage. Thank you for the battery start.

Pull start was also very effective - took absolutely no effort at all.

The hose cleaning attachment that came with the unit does not seem to sit on the cleaning nipple. Had to hold it in place.

Will give it another go when the grass is dry before deciding if I take it back for a refund.

Purchased in March 2019 at ALDI for $299.00.

Product is used: Occasionally

Terrible

I paid $299 for this mower in Feb this year, charged starter battery for 5 & half hours and when fully charged fitted battery to mower, mower wouldn't elect start. Started mower by pull rope but mower ran very roughly, motor governor erractic and engine speed alternating high & low constantly.
Also fuel tank was leaking petrol which is very dangerous. Never got to test mower on grass.
I have a Aldi petrol blower & whipper snipper, and for domestic use I have found them to be great
The mower was returned for a full refund and in my opinion don't buy one.

Purchased in February 2019.

Give it a miss

I have been mowing my backyard for many years and my mower was getting tired so when I saw Aldi advertise this Mower I got it. Today I used it for the first time and it started well using the battery/starter as well as the recoil hand start. I set the height and when I pushed it, I noticed it dipping down at the front consequently digging into the grass. The adjusting brace between the front and rear wheels were different so I checked the underneath and found everything in order except for the design is incorrect allowing the front wheels to dip. As a Motor Mechanic I can see the changes required.

Purchased in March 2019 for $299.00.

Safety

After 1 Hour the Front Wheel Lever came off. It raises and lowers the deck

It could be trouble. After 1 hour the Front Wheel Pitch level LEVER came off. Dont know the E clip size No manual parts book.
The Catcher is Difficult to Clip on and does not catch very well.. Very Akward indeed

Purchased in March 2019 for $299.00.

Product is used: Weekly

Terrible

Many faults compared with Australian mowers but never seen what happened yesterday on any mower. I have been mowing 50 years.. This mower was found on the street, as the original purchaser threw it away after one use. yesterday mowing the verge ,left front wheel went into a small whole near the gutter. see photo of the result.

Purchased in December 2018 at ALDI for $299.00.

Safety
Product is used: Occasionally

Still unsure if I made the right choice

At face value it seems like a decent mower, but a lot of small flaws add up to a terrible mower. The biggest fault is that the catcher doesn’t fill up properly. It will start dropping clumps of grass when the catcher is barely a quarter full. The electric start is great and the battery lasts for quite a while but a big problem is that the key barrel is poor quality and it’s kept running in the off position a few times now. Because of the catcher issue I’m forced to use it with mulching attachments instead which isn’t too bad but a frustrating compromise.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Give this mower a miss.

So far the motor works well and the electric start makes life easy, the blades cut well, the self drive operates well. but the catcher is terrible. The catcher keeps dropping off the back of the mower even with little or no grass in the catcher. Do yourself a favour and give this mower a miss.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Garden line Aldi mower 196cc

I bought this gardenline mower last year , I have to be very honest with other people who buy this product

“Please do not buy “

This is horrible mower, since new I haven’t fin cutting grass at once , it runs for 5 min and stops and won’t re start. I chean air filters, I clean choke doesn’t start. Very frustrating and won’t buy any of gardenline product ever in my life . One day I will take this outside Aldi and leave it there. Such a waste of money

Date PurchasedOct 2017

From bad to worse - given time it will fail you!!

OK bought this mower 22 months ago. Already had the throttle lever replaced twice.
Now it stops after about 1/3 of the lawn being mowed (not that big a lawn - on a quarter acre block). Not sure why -over heats?? Starts again the next day.
Runs quite roughly - checked oil is fine. Filter been cleaned.
Has probably had at most 40 hours of use. (Surely doesn't need service that soon)
Maybe it needs spark plugs checking (I can't do that) but really for the hassle it's given me I recommend buying a better quality mower.

The grass catcher doesn't fit neatly on, the design is very poor.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Just Perfect

Having bought an Aldi's Gardenline Petrol Mower last year, I can honestly say that I am completely satisfied with its performance. Our lawn is a considerable size and the mower never falters: its starts immediately, cuts beautifully and the catcher is more than adequate. Would I recommend this product. Absolutely!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Broken belt Bill T

Self propelled drive belt broke as the tension spring came off. Awaiting a reply from Scheppach. Too hard to push without self propel only used twice on residential lawn. Looks like a common fault. No answer as yet probably all on Christmas holidays. Had a previous model for 8 years with no problems.
Bll T

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Here i am on 23 Jan still awaiting promised new belt , contacted them or tried to 5 times plus Aldi twice Did manage to talk to someone last week who said it would be sent Express post straight away.Express post from where????Belt arrived today 26/1. Now to fit it

If it breaks down, don't expect help

Purchased the self-propelled push start Gardeline mower in late August. The drive belt continually jumps off, sometimes at the front (easy to get back on), but the last time it jumped off at the gearbox, which is impossible to put back on,and a tension spring jumps off as well. I have been trying to get this fixed by going through Scheppach (Gardenline support) since October, but I only get the run around and no information out of them. Nobody I talk to is allowed to make a decision, and when the manager calls me all I get is "Oh, it's a common problem, it's easy to fix" (which it is not). After calling Aldi directly and demanding a full refund, all they do is get Scheppach to call you back, and the merry-go-round starts all over again. I finally spoke to one person who informed me that the nearest service agent is almost an hour drive away from where I live, but he was unable to authorise a service booking, so his boss would call me back, which he never did.

Be very wary of buying Gardenline products.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Powerful reliable and inexpensive

I have had this mower over 5 years now big mower that is easy to start every time never had an issue with any part of it. The self drive feature makes it feel like a much smaller mower to maneuver. I don't use the catcher as the mulcher feature works so well even if I let the grass get a little long. The only thing I don't like is the engine cut off if you let the handle go. I know it is a safety feature but it means you can't stop to move an obstacle without having to restart (which is easy). Just an unnecessary feature.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Cuts great pitty about the wheels

Great mower no probs however the wheels bend and now the front right had sheeted off during a mow the frustrating thing is that for the rest of it the mower does a great job I had to cable tie the catcher and it now holds together ok . for the $150 I payed it would cost just as much to fix

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The best mower I ever had. 4 stroke self start 196 cc, what a beast, just eats the highest grass eff

I don't use the catcher, just use side exit. I looked at the other reviews, and I can't understand some of the bad reviews. Time and again Aldi products were compared with other makes and Aldi comes out on top. I only paid $199 for this beauty an equivelant one costs $200 more.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

I, too had a fuel leak _ Gardenline 139CC green mower.

When I finished mowing and parked the mower all fuel leaked to ground. Took mower to the local guys in Shellharbour who wanted NOTHING to do with Gardenline products. Ben from HiQual Mowers in Myall Way APR came to the rescue. He flushed the carbi and so far so good. Thanks Ben.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

ALDI Petrol Mower 139cc

This mower does a pretty good job, it also starts easily and runs well, the grass catcher work well too. Never had a problem with it and have been using it for over 2 years. Excellent value for the price, only paid $139.00 for it. Not too noisy either. Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Good Value

So far so good with this mower. Extremely cheap to purchase compared to any of the usual big names. Only used it for a couple of months but starts easy every time and doesn't use a lot of fuel. Folds up easily to fit in the rear of my vehicle. Aldi constantly surprise me with their quality.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Wheels are a real problem

I read reviews where people had complained about the wheels bending out and wondered whether they had been treating the mower a little rough. I sent my 11 year old out to have a go at mowing the nature strip with our brand new Gardenline Mower this morning. 5 minutes in he stopped because the front right wheel had bent out to the side. I was easily able to straighten it up by hand which shows how weak it is. Not expecting it to stay in place for long. Otherwise the mower seems ok.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Outstanding for the Price!

Love this mower. Had to replace an ageing Victa and this has the same spec as it did.
Catcher is plenty big enough, engine has enough power, its not that noisy, simply it just does the job really well.
For the price I cant believe how good it is! I should've bought two!
Don't pay $400-$600 for a lawn mower with a brand name, I could ruin three of these and still have change, plus it has a 3 year warranty!