GIO Home and Contents

GIO Home and Contents

GIO claim service was friendly, proactive and helpful.

Our home was significantly damaged after the Berowra Heights 20/12/2018 hail storm.
GIO was friendly, proactive and helpful - During the claim process.
The face to face presentation organised by Suncorp, for hail damage affected customers, was excellent.
I have spoken to a number of Berowra residents affected by the hail storm. The Suncorp customers I have spoken with seem happy. There are a number of non Suncorp customers, quite unhappy.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateDecember 2018

Disgusted and frustrated with process

We have been insured with GIO for over 20 years with numerous motor vehicle and house policies. We recently had a water leak in our balcony. I had to pay the $1000 excess for them to tell me that they would only repair part of the job which was worth under $1000. Partially accepted the claim?? The balcony became dangerous as they took so long to assess it. I had to have it staked and remove tiles to assess that it was not due to poor tile maintenance as they suggested. After 2 months they still have not decided what to do. Will be taking this to fair trading.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019

Totally Outraged!

GIO have to be the worst insurance we have ever dealt with. Policy is absolutely worthless.Lost a diamond in my eternity ring while on holiday rang Insurance as soon as we got back the next day and lodged it. Told them that our jeweler would be busy and would like to leave it until after Christmas. Was never told that we would have to go through their jewelers. They now referred us to page 87 which says they choose how to settle a claim. My diamond is high quality S1 and their jewelers quote is $900 less than our jeweler who made the ring, what are their jewelers going to put in a piece of glass! This is the first claim we have with them and am absolutely disgusted, thiefs. Same as the other person was on the phone 45 minutes had to end up taking another call and and had to call back , after another 45 minutes hung up and managed to find online form to fill out. Our premium is due and believe me we will not be renewing with them 3 years and not a claim and now this disgraceful situation. Premium went up $700 from last year. Has not been settled as they offered $600 to settle and we have $100 excess and cost of repair and replace diamond is $1587.00. Will be taking this to the Insurance Ombudsman once the process with this disgraceful company has been gone through. They are very quick to grab money off you but come time to claim is a different story. Yes when you call about renewing or getting new policy you get through immediately any claims etc and you might as well go down and do your shopping and still be on hold when you return. No call back facility.
The price we have to insure our home we would build a mansion but if it burnt down they would not give you the money you would have to use their builders who we have heard people have nothing but aggravation, if you you choose your own builders they make a settlement and it sure won't be what it is insured for! One star rating it too much.

Property TypeOther
Claim DateFebruary 2019

No dial back functionality - shocking customer appreciation

I have been on the phone for just on 1 hr. No call back functionality - unbelievable. Sack your manager of customer service and engage someone who understands what those 2 words mean!! With all the weather related disasters you guys need to-step up and bring in much more staff on weekends.... not 2.
My house has 6 destroyed skylights, 2 tarps covering the whole roof which has 200 damaged roof tiles and these tarps have dislodged after last nights storm. Do you think i can find someone in the customer service area who can get someone around to secure before the possible thunderstorm tonight.
The good thing..... waiting and listening to the hold music for 1 hr made me so angry i decided to write this review

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateDecember 2018
Its me updating you all. The wind is getting up & the trarps are flapping madly. I now have 2 phones trying to make contact with GIO. My mobile is trying to get thru to my 'client' assigned delegate based in Perth. The answer message says we will attend to my call as soon as possible. I think that maybe there is no-one there on a weekend... could be wrong. Now 1.5 hrs on my land line.... i keep being told i'm progressing in the queue, Now making a video for the Facebook Crowd & Radio Sydney's morning show... what else is there to do!!Updating - now over 2hrs on the landline. Mobile phone battery went flat. I managed to find in my notes the phone number for Emergency Trade Services (ETS) who picked up very quickly but cant do anything unless given written instructions........ They gave me another contact - RCC National and a very polite 'David' answered . I gave him my claims number. Wont be able to attend today but definitely tomorrow to secure the tarps. I'll update you all tomorrow.The latest. Better News. Its 8:30pm Saturday night, 9th Feb. 'David' from RCC National was able to get a crew to my place tonight at around 5:20pm. The guys were from CRD Plumbing. They have reattached the floating tarps telling me that in 1 section the movement had dislodged tiles in 1 area. They will be back tomorrow with sandbags and timber to make more secure. Thank you David from RCC & the 2 men from CRD Plumbing. Very much appreciate the quick response.

Waiting over an hour for a phone to be answered and no call back function

Trying to make a claim for my mother with dementia who has to be the person speaking to them and have been waiting for an hour with her almost hysterical besides me. If I hang up I’ll have to wait an hour again or who knows how long!!!!!! Haven’t made a claim because I can’t get through!!!!

Insurance claim madeNo

Australians Deserve Better Services, Come one Management you need to lift your Game

An incident happened yesterday and my home is not safe to live especially with kids and pets being part of our family. My home needs immediate attention to make it safe home. Is spite of numerous attempts to contact company's phone number, I am unable to speak with them.

I called yesterday around 9:00 pm and I was on hold for 1 hour and then there working hours finished at 10:00 pm.
I called today around around 8:00 am , their system responded wait time of 20 minutes but no one picked my call even being on hold for 29 minutes then phone connection dropped.
Called again at 8:47 am , system responded wait time of 40 mins, while writing I am still on hold and listening to there on hold music
Can Australian's expect better services from insurance providers ? Individuals experiencing damage to their home/property are already going through lot of stress and they need not to go any further harassment by irresponsible insurance claim system /service providers.

Why Australians can't have call back facility from their insurance service providers ?

Why we can't have customer service charter to have guaranteed response time from insurance claim processing team ?

Rude customer service

Tried to cancel within the cooling off period, the operator was not clear with the cancellation and tried to not refund me the full amount. Rude customer service, being condescending and patronizing. Unbelievable attitude, I won't be insuring with GIO anymore, no matter the price. Have never been treated like that, the operator called me a liar and tried to make it sound like I wasn't being truthful when in fact I didn't misunderstood what he was saying. Just do your job and don't give customers attitude.

Insurance claim madeNo

Timely pay out on claims

We go with GIO primarily because of their flood cover.
We've had two significant claims with GIO over the years.
In both cases GIO paid a fair claim amount and in timely fashion.

Great insurance company

I have been with GIO for over 10 years, have had several home and 1 car insurance claim. They have been nothing but helpful and did everything by the book. I am totally happy with their service. From the moment I have lodged a claim, to the follow up they provide when making sure everything is on track is terrific.

Awful service

Just found out that the GIO don’t refund your registration, CTP or remaining insurance premiums when your car is a write off
Car was only insured for $1600 hit by a truck undriveable went to their repair outlet, they took photos and said it’s a write off, GIO did not believe this I had to wait two weeks to go to another outlet they phoned me and said write off but still no contact from GIO I must have made 15-20 calls and still not satisfied with their response.

Insurance claim madeYes

Great people, empathetic and helpful staff when I need to claim

I’ve been with GIO for eight years and only recently cancelled my policy when I sold my home but I still hold their car insurance policy.

Over the last eight years I’ve had to claim twice, once was when I first bought a new home and got burgled soon afterwards, where the thieves took quite a lot of jewellery, computers and damaged a window.

The second time was when I accidently flushed my wife’s ring down the toilet and obviously couldn’t get it back even when I called in the professionals.

On both occasions the people at GIO were very empathetic and responsive to my situation. The claim processing time was very quick and I was able to get replacements, repairs or payouts within a few weeks.

One thing that GIO (and most other insurers) do, which really annoys me is the discounted rate you get when you join them online, which isn’t available at the time of renewal. However, GIO have been good to pass on those savings to me when I ask them about it and they’ve also applied other loyalty discounts to my account as well as upgrades to the policy when there are offers available.

Overall I’ve really got nothing to complain about and I’ll definitely continue to use them when I get a new home.

Insurance claim madeYes

They simply do not care.

Insured over 30 years. Pensioner parents made a claim for water damage in a bathroom and almost 4 months later still do not have a bathroom. Sent out a builder to quote and after 2 months later said they were too expensive. Sent another builder out and repeat process and after another month decided they were too expensive and back to the first one. Now demanded a payout since they continue to run us around and now they are stalling saying " Be Patient". How patient would you be after 4 months with no bathroom?
Absolutely useless and pathetic service. They dont care we don't have a fully functional bathroom. Do not use them and looking at other reviews here seems many others have the same issue. Now going to ombudsmen before legal options.

Insurance claim madeYes

Our experience convinced us to renew

We are not fans of insurance generally, but we have just renewed our Home and Contents policy with GIO, because of two claim experiences in the past year.

The awning on the back of our house was damaged in a hail storm - and GIO handled the claim professionally and smoothly, despite some problems sourcing material from the original builder and designer of the awning, a local Spanline franchise.

Then, in mid-August, our much-loved dog suffered an accident in the back yard and badly injured his spine. Faced with substantial veterinary bills, we contacted GIO to check on the pet insurance in our Home and Contents policy.

It took only three calls and an email - and a payment was placed in our bank account within days. Admittedly, these were both smallish claims, but they were handled expertly and efficiently in a helpful, sympathetic and friendly manner. Based on this experience, we cannot speak more highly of GIO.

Stay Away ....

Not happy at all - ceiling collapsed due to weather etc. and all they did was find an excuse to reject the claim ....they said it was old age - not taken into account any winds etc. over the past 3 months bad weather ....1st claim I ever made in 35 years and a real bad taste as they have not looked after me at all - communication to me was non existent and now I have to fix the roof and pay the lot ...I had to arrange everything - they didn't care at all just excuses to reject claim and no customer care at all .
No more for me I will be stopping all my policies - 30 years of many policies each year and this is the service I get .....so now I have a bill over 5K and GIO don't give a damn ... thanks you so much .
So much for peace of mind ... get insurance on everything so can sleep at night , but when it comes to a problem happening they refuse ......thanks for all my sleepless nights !!!!!!
Stay away .

My mothers claims

My mother made 2 claims for a flooded kitchen and had no problems at all they were prompt certious and provided skilled tradesmen and never increased her premiums she is verry happy with them

Fast claim resolution

Yesterday my expensive glasses broke while cleaning. As I have insurance for portables I've decided to claim it. Today, they've deposited money into my account for the claim. They were very nice. They've accepted quotation from my optometrist even though they are using different one. Very happy with the outcome.

Worst Insurance Company ever

To everyone out there who needs to makes a claim with GIO, I have had the worst experience dealing with many staff who make lot's of promises and never deliver!! They use a third party called Home Repairs and are absolutely useless. My rental property received damage from the heavy rains in December 2017 and I am still waiting to have my carpet replaced after Home Repairs decided to remove it without my consent. Now my tenants after many months are without carpet and sleeping on a concrete slab. Absolutely appalling how GIO have managed my claim and when you email them everything they have requested they never reply and all you receive is a generic reply back that someone will come back to you and they never do.

Dont have insurance with GIO

It's not worth insuring your house or contents with GIO insurance cause they never pay, I made a claim for my Shed which my blown over in a storm what did they say when I summited the claim for the garage, they said they refuse the claim cause off the age off shed.

Dodgy Home Insurance

They made unreliable repairs to my garage roof (rain damage) but within a year it was leaking again with extensive damage. I reported poor workmanship but they refuse to fix it and insisting it is a design fault of my house?? What a joke.

Insurance claim madeYes

Great service and very understanding when making a claim

I had been a long term customer of GIO but never had to make a claim until recently. Unfortunately my house was broken in to and a lot of things stolen. It was a very distressing time, but GIO made the whole claim process really smooth and simple. We were kept up to date with regular emails, and both the assessor and claim manager were very understanding and flexible in evaluating items and settling the claim. I will be sticking with GIO.