GIO Home and Contents

GIO Home and Contents

Paying a fortune for insurance without really having any insurance

We thought we were covered for everything with GIO, we pay a ridiculous amount more in premiums a year than other companies charge thinking we were covered for everything and would be looked after if the need arises, HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!!!. Put in a claim in which there was mimable damage at the time but after nearly 4mths the damage has gotten worse and repair cost increased significantly with no resolution in site from GIO home repair team, unfortunately the only way l found to get any progression what so ever was go use the GIO complaints line. Still waiting for a call back from week ago. Dont waist your time money or energy with GIO

Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateMay 2019

totally dysfunctional claims department and GIO home repair Team Terrible time wasting experience

6 weeks delay to replace skylight dome , water damaged attic flooring and electrician , small claim around $4,500 two days work at the outside . home repair team hopeless they will not answer emails

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2019
GailP

GailP

28 years of cover

We have had our house and contents insured with GIO for about 25 years and have had several claims all have been resolved in a reasonable time frame and to our satisfaction with minimum fuss. Workmanship has been very good on most occasions. Policy price has certainly increased over the years but isn't excessive.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Cair

CairSydney, NSW

Superior service in every way

Property TypeTownhouse
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Stephen

StephenSydney, NSW

Integrity of gio home insurance

My parents made a claim for hail damage in December as of 9/4/19 gio contractors have completed no progress the 500 dollars access has been paid the start and completion date has long past many phone calls to the builder and gio show a lack of sincerity and integrity if this is not address in 7 days legal action will be pending

K.....

K.....

Take excess quick. Repair slow!

Made a claim in early January. Excess taken immediately. Claim Accepted. Nothing done almost April. No aircon for most of summer. Thanks very much! Not even excuses just no action.

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Mouse

MouseSydney, NSW

GIO claim service was friendly, proactive and helpful.

Our home was significantly damaged after the Berowra Heights 20/12/2018 hail storm.
GIO was friendly, proactive and helpful - During the claim process.
The face to face presentation organised by Suncorp, for hail damage affected customers, was excellent.
I have spoken to a number of Berowra residents affected by the hail storm. The Suncorp customers I have spoken with seem happy. There are a number of non Suncorp customers, quite unhappy.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Karen E Norman

Karen E NormanSydney, NSW

Disgusted and frustrated with process

We have been insured with GIO for over 20 years with numerous motor vehicle and house policies. We recently had a water leak in our balcony. I had to pay the $1000 excess for them to tell me that they would only repair part of the job which was worth under $1000. Partially accepted the claim?? The balcony became dangerous as they took so long to assess it. I had to have it staked and remove tiles to assess that it was not due to poor tile maintenance as they suggested. After 2 months they still have not decided what to do. Will be taking this to fair trading.

Claim DateJanuary 2019
pug002

pug002

Totally Outraged!

Property TypeOther
Claim DateFebruary 2019

spike0108Sydney

No dial back functionality - shocking customer appreciation

I have been on the phone for just on 1 hr. No call back functionality - unbelievable. Sack your manager of customer service and engage someone who understands what those 2 words mean!! With all the weather related disasters you guys need to-step up and bring in much more staff on weekends.... not 2.
My house has 6 destroyed skylights, 2 tarps covering the whole roof which has 200 damaged roof tiles and these tarps have dislodged after last nights storm. Do you think i can find someone in the customer service area who can get someone around to secure before the possible thunderstorm tonight.
The good thing..... waiting and listening to the hold music for 1 hr made me so angry i decided to write this review

Claim ApprovedNo

Outraged

OutragedSydney

Waiting over an hour for a phone to be answered and no call back function

Trying to make a claim for my mother with dementia who has to be the person speaking to them and have been waiting for an hour with her almost hysterical besides me. If I hang up I’ll have to wait an hour again or who knows how long!!!!!! Haven’t made a claim because I can’t get through!!!!

Insurance claim madeNo

Australians Deserve Better Services, Come one Management you need to lift your Game

Rude customer service

Tried to cancel within the cooling off period, the operator was not clear with the cancellation and tried to not refund me the full amount. Rude customer service, being condescending and patronizing. Unbelievable attitude, I won't be insuring with GIO anymore, no matter the price. Have never been treated like that, the operator called me a liar and tried to make it sound like I wasn't being truthful when in fact I didn't misunderstood what he was saying. Just do your job and don't give customers attitude.

Insurance claim madeNo

Brett

BrettCarrum

Timely pay out on claims

We go with GIO primarily because of their flood cover.
We've had two significant claims with GIO over the years.
In both cases GIO paid a fair claim amount and in timely fashion.

Kim

KimBallina

Great insurance company

I have been with GIO for over 10 years, have had several home and 1 car insurance claim. They have been nothing but helpful and did everything by the book. I am totally happy with their service. From the moment I have lodged a claim, to the follow up they provide when making sure everything is on track is terrific.

David. P

David. PSydney, NSW

Awful service

Just found out that the GIO don’t refund your registration, CTP or remaining insurance premiums when your car is a write off
Car was only insured for $1600 hit by a truck undriveable went to their repair outlet, they took photos and said it’s a write off, GIO did not believe this I had to wait two weeks to go to another outlet they phoned me and said write off but still no contact from GIO I must have made 15-20 calls and still not satisfied with their response.

TCM

TCM

Great people, empathetic and helpful staff when I need to claim

Paul

PaulMelbourne

They simply do not care.

Insured over 30 years. Pensioner parents made a claim for water damage in a bathroom and almost 4 months later still do not have a bathroom. Sent out a builder to quote and after 2 months later said they were too expensive. Sent another builder out and repeat process and after another month decided they were too expensive and back to the first one. Now demanded a payout since they continue to run us around and now they are stalling saying " Be Patient". How patient would you be after 4 months with no bathroom?
Absolutely useless and pathetic service. They dont care we don't have a fully functional bathroom. Do not use them and looking at other reviews here seems many others have the same issue. Now going to ombudsmen before legal options.

Ian David

Ian DavidNewcastle

Our experience convinced us to renew

Stay Away ....