GIO Home and Contents

• 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (7)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (10) · No (4)

Super easy claim

Just had a super easy claim experience for personal electronics which I appreciated . Lodged Wednesday and received a call on Thursday. No hassles with the claim (noting I had already provided the required evidence) and staff member was very friendly and helpful.

Property TypeTownhouse
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJanuary 2021
Claim ApprovedYes

Good customer service, but inexplicable rate increase.

Very easy and professional phone assistance.
But I started this policy 1 year ago, and the renewal premium just increased by 25%!
I have never filed a claim, so no comment in this regard.

LaNZ

LaNZSydney

Claim made worse by GIO contractors and claims department not acting with diligence

Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how GIO Home and Contents compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

Peter

PeterSydney, NSW

Royal Commission - please review GIO

As a strata manager subjected to GIO’s rock bottom service levels where attempted to notify about a potential forthcoming claim, spending 30+ min first waiting and then patiently explaining the reasons another 30+ min to incompetent support legal staff that have no idea about their own instructions in PDS to policy holders, this is a company that is in serious need of a RC s review. It does not get worse than this. Appalling systemic service issues where I was hung up upon whilst asking questions being accused of being rude (when the opposite was nearer the truth - check the phone recording). Nobody here seems to care about their customers. Take your insurance needs elsewhere - this company is a lemon in all aspects. You have been warned.

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Bill

BillSydney Surrounds, NSW

No loyalty, UNAUSTRAILIAN

My wife has been insured with GIO all her life we have been together for 12 years and in the past 4 we have cancelled most of our policies with GIO, due to the fact they keep going up exponentially. We have never made a claimed at all, I can understand price increases with inflation but when you are talking about 19% in 1 year I am sorry but GIO is now in the trash can!
I just cancelled our 2nd last policy today and the operator didn't even question why.
GIO you are up there with Telstra one of the most UNAUSTRALIAN companies very disappointed you have lost us forever!!!!

Cate

CateGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

THE BIGGEST RIP OFF INSURANCE

After we received our most recent renewal earlier this month and saw that it had gone up 33.6% to an exorbitant amount of $9,259.92 annually for a strata complex, we contacted another insurance company for a price comparison. We were shocked to discover that, for the same cover for building and contents and the same excess and flood insurance, the premium from another well known insurer was only $2,020.08 annually. This is a saving of $7,239.84  for the year.

We had been using GIO for our home and content insurance for 12 years and thought they were a reputable decent insurance company. Disgraceful GIO. You should be ashamed of yourself. Do your homework and stay away from the outrageously, exorbitant insurance company.

Property TypeOther
Ego Est

Ego EstSydney, NSW

Fair to poor claim experience

Property TypeDuplex
Trinity

TrinityGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

FIGHT FOR FAIRNESS!!!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

took our money under false pretenses

definitively not good value. We had new for old car insurance and discovered it was a con. After 3 years it didnt't actually exist under new for old. we have now discovered that we have been insuring our home and contents thru them and our homes are not actually insured as our homes are on farms but they don't insure houses on farms even though when we got quotes they knew the houses were on farms
we will never insure through them again now going to cancel our boat insurance as well.
They won't get a star rating at all from me

Lisam

Lisam

Cancelled without being informed after 26 years

Got a renewal notice this year so it was not even marked on record that I took my complaint about their shocking behaviour last year to a regulator. lost a thirty year customer dye to cancelling my cover because they didnt have my New address instead of using the correct phone number or email to contact me. Their excuse was i had a preference for mail contact. Right. also mixed up correspondence from A year prior, cancelling again due to unfixed damage that had been fixed and which They acknowledged had been fixed and was on record as being so. The worst i e ever dealt with.

Property TypeVilla
Kim Thoa B.

Kim Thoa B.

A company that help others during a pandemic

I called up GIO to tell ask if they have any financial relief for people whom effected by covid-19 and they gave me 3 month off, very unexpected thank you!

LW

LWSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

No reward for loyalty

GIO thought it was fine to charge me for insurance they weren't willing to offer me. I had kept my home contents insurance with GIO for 6 consecutive years. I was transferred to the south coast for work and was organising my move at the end of 2019. When the bushfires struck GIO refused to cover my contents due to an embargo on my new postcode despite the fact that I was an existing customer. They were happy for me to keep paying, but couldn't actually tell me when they would lift to embargo and be able to offer me cover. I will never insure with GIO again.

pkon

pkonSydney

Victim of crime: claim experience

My 75 year old mother's fence was rammed by a stolen car at 3am in the morning. Terrified but not hurt. Police attended but the driver had run off. We have a Police reference number and the rego of the stolen car but naturally, we don't know if the driver has been identified and even if we did, we would not know who it is. So, a loyal customer, a pensioner and a victim of crime has to fork out $600 she can't spare for GIO to "investigate" and then decide if they should refund the excess. OMG! Really GIO, shame. On the plus side, the person who too my call was excellent, sympathetic and genuinely concerned for my mum's welfare. Five stars for him and minus 4 for the company. Peter K

mickscott

mickscottHunter Region, NSW

Worst insurance ever

Claim DateFebruary 2020
Claim ApprovedNo

LarraineSydney, NSW

Have had no trouble at all

I have been with gio with a very bad car accident we had and I thought they were great and have just had a claim with flooring and again they were great have had no problems at all

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

australia

australiaaustralia nsw

Totally Incompetent

I phoned GIO on behalf of a friend, requesting the Home & Contents Insurance Policy PDS to be forwarded.

D.O.B. of the recipient was requested prior to it being issued. When I questioned this, I was then advised it could not be forwarded unless a quote was also issued.

I was speechless!!!

A potential client needs to review the PDS BEFORE a quote, to ascertain whether GIO's policy suits their requirement, (their advts. also advocate this).

This has cost GIO 2 potential clients.

Their attitude is beyond belief.

Katharine

KatharineGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Does not even deserve 1 star!!

This company is absolutely useless, and that is putting it politely. Workers are clearly incompetent. Nobody gets back to you when they say they will, and we still waiting on damage to our roof and ceiling as a result of a severe jail storm in January to be fixed!! Meanwhile, we have water coming through the ceiling in all rooms whenever it rains! Stay away from this company.

Property TypeTownhouse

B F.Sydney, NSW

Two full months and cannot reach them - with rooms out of commission

Claim DateFebruary 2020

They do not pay claims

Claim DateNovember 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
POOR QUALITY REVIEW

POOR QUALITY REVIEWmelbourne

How Do Insurance Get Away With Profiteering!

Beware when adding your details. They already use your address in their database.
When you have a policy with them your insurance quotes will be three times higher then a new policy if the new quote does not have that address in there system. How can you charge a person $1000 for their house insurance one year and the next year quote $4000 without having claimed. Don't be fooled by the system. How they get away with this fraudulant behaviour is barbaric. Also make sure you know which insurance company owns or the other. Good when you have to shop around for quotes.