HBF Health Insurance

HBF Health Insurance

Health Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of health insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

1.7

Deb

IVF Pregnancy & Dialysis Grouped Together?

colzz

colzzPerth, WA

Surprised how bad they are

I’ve had HBF for awhile but only recently have I had to use them. I’m very surprised how incompetent they are. They lost my claim twice (sent through their app), they accidentally sent me a 2017 tax letter when I was expecting a 2020 quote letter. When I told them they said I’d need to start the claim process again. They repeated sent my wife emails and texts about claims & payments meant for me (were under my member number). They looked at my account records to say I’d already made a claim when I hadn’t (turns out they were looking at my wife’s details, again). I asked for a complaint to be submitted once but it never was. So surprised by how badly they manage my personal information.

Claim DateJune 2020
Claim ApprovedYes
HBF T.HBF

Still waiting for call from management.....

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Max

At least switching insurers is easy...I have now left HBF..amateur hour..you just dont need the stress of chasing up claims and dealing with an organisation that you have no faith in.

Alon

AlonMelbourne

Dont Use HBF Health Insurance

Customer service is rude, they will delay every chance to rectify a problem. HBF Health staff are friendly during sign up, become difficult and rude when claiming or maintenance on account.
Don't use HBF health insurance

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Emm

Emm

Useless

Emma

EmmaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Lovely service

Shopped around for best quote and HBF was the easiest to follow - simple pricing and explanations. I got a call back within 2 days and talked through what I needed from the policy and was helped to choose the best option (and not the most expensive). Friendly help that got me set up quickly and easily.

Adam S.

Adam S.Sydney, NSW

Great Price - Friendly Service

Switched from NIB to HBF and saved a stack for the same level of cover. Staff over the phone have been super helpful and friendly. Love their Quokka ads as well, super cute.

Ike

IkePerth, WA

DODGY SERVICE

We are very disappointed with HBF.

We got a quote and received a confirmation email for $2,158.25, but we got charged for $2,329.90. Then they got back to us saying that is the correct price we quoted. Did our eyes deceive ourselves when we saw $2,158.25 on their website??? Or did we receive the confirmation email from another company??? How can they lie in front of black and white evidence. We are so not happy with their dodgy service!!

Claim MadeNo

HBF doesn’t know the meaning of REFUND!!

Hard to get a refund from this stinking health fund. Here is yet another attempt. Dear HBF
I have been chasing a refund from you since 1st March. Your staff keep promising a refund however nothing to date.
My last call to your office said I would have my money no later than 17th March, guess what it’s now later than that.

Thelma P.
Thelma P.

Find out how HBF Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Overpriced and ripping me off.

I have been with HBF for 7 years but I don't feel the value in my policy. Every 6 months my premium goes up and my policy now costs about 50% more than it did when I signed up. I just got an online quote for the Equivalent policy and it would be hundreds of dollars cheaper if I cancelled and signed up again. And that is even with the significant discount I am supposed to be receiving through my employer.

I am trying to cancel but they don't make that easy. I would need to take time off work to be able to contact them during their work hours.

Sparky

SparkyPerth, WA

HBF don't pay for "reasonable" claims

Jeremy Parsons

Jeremy Parsons

Incompetent, Poor customer service.

Very slow to respond to requests, I have been waiting almost two weeks for an explanation on why they shorted my policy cover by half a month, Still no explanation. Escalated concern to a 24 hour response team. Surprisingly no response after 48 hours. When asking for an explanation on a calculation no one is competent enough to take ownership of the problem. try a different insurer if you can.
Claiming works fine unless you have a problem then their service is extremely poor.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020
HBF T.HBF

They avoid paying benefits with irrational rules.

Purchased $750 Orthotics at podiatrist.
The podiatrist invoice included the orthotics and consultation...fair enough.
HBF refused to pay the $400 benefit for the orthotics via hicaps because of the consultation charge.
HBF claim their system cannot process the consultation and orthotics together. I refuse to believe a multi-billion dollar company cannot implement software solutions to recognise the orthotics code.
I had to do the claim manually and waste time waiting on hold and submitting it myself online.
Pretty sure people would give up because the system is painful to use and not get their benefits.
May not be a deliberate scam, but they are denying people their benefits with stupid systems.

Claim DateFebruary 2020
Anthony G.
Anthony G.
Sue K.

Sue K.Perth, WA

Waste of Time Hbf Outpost

Went to a hbf booth conveniently located at a shopping centre near me.
Was told by the customer service officer that “ they don’t process claims here”.
Consequently there was no one at the booth except for three staff who were chatting and laughing. What a waste of policy holders money. No wonder premiums are so high!

Mark

MarkSouth East Queensland, QLD

Don't get sold into the non for profit idea

Claim DateNovember 2019

Heartless Hospital fund......... .HBF

Grant Lilleyman
Grant Lilleyman

CarolinePerth

Crap customer service

Rang today to talk about deferring a scheduled payment as I have done this before with no problem. Explained to Bronwyn what was done before and she said Oh No I can't do that as I am only part time. Boohoo, how about offering to get someone who is fulltime to call me and arrange a payment. She was not interested in helping and will now definitely be looking at swapping funds

Caroline

If I could rate HBF a minus zero I would!

VassPerth, WA

Payment

HBF told me they will not accept cash as payment anymore I have paid my insurance cover with cash since 1981 now they refuse to accept it reading online seems you can only pay by direct debit which does not suit me or by credit card which I don't believe in they don't say. You can pay with EFTPOS after 38 yrs they treat you like your a nobody new fatcat in charge needs to line his pockets.

Vass

I don't have a cheque account your answer about staff is a load of crap it's about reducing staff at the HBF branch's why don't HBF have EFTPOS in the branch's ?

Carolyn

CarolynGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

False and misleading policy cover

Required a breast reduction costing $9K (including anaesthetic). Policy shows that breast surgery is covered. Badly needed as always at chiropractor and physio which I'm sure HBF could see I was attending. Had the surgery and got a measly $364 rebate from 7K. Absolutely atrocious. My monthly premium for more than that. Why say you are covered when clearly you are not. Young man on phone was quite rude when I queried this. Definitely looking for new private health cover... bye bye

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks