HBF Health Insurance

HBF Health Insurance

Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks (5), 1-2 weeks (3), <1 week (3), 3+ months (2) and 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (8)
Emily

EmilyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Mislead

Like many of the reviews here I too felt mislead, I agreed to an upsale on a policy as it was implied I would get better value for money. Turns out this wasn't the case. Just glad I never had to claim anything from them as I can only imagine what type of nightmare that would be.

Plan CoverageHospital Only

RezaSydney, NSW

USELESS

Throw your money in a monthly basis and they put you down for the most obvious items that must be covered by a health insurance. The customer service agents have conflicting ideas and they are not on the same page about things when you call them.

Reza

I have already wasted a lot of time on the phone with your incompetent team members with no favourable support and now on the market to change my insurance provider. Enough of investigation for minimum support you could expect

Legal loophole of tricking people and stealing their money

I am a very healthy individual. Got myself a bronze plus cover, the list on their website includes "Dental". However, at the time of claiming I was advised that my cover doesn't include dental. The only logical explanation to this is that they exist only to rip people (in need of help) off!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Stef

Stef

Not pleased with the inpatient and outpatient

I Pay 66 fortnight and they only cover inpatient.

Went for broken foot and later for blood test to GP and noting was cover because it outpatient. I don't care how they to their policy but I need to be able to go to a local GP for that price.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMarch 2020

reneperth

Hard to claim when you need to.

Claim DateAugust 2020

Deb

IVF Pregnancy & Dialysis Grouped Together?

Max

Still waiting for call from management.....

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Max

At least switching insurers is easy...I have now left HBF..amateur hour..you just dont need the stress of chasing up claims and dealing with an organisation that you have no faith in.

Alon

AlonMelbourne

Dont Use HBF Health Insurance

Customer service is rude, they will delay every chance to rectify a problem. HBF Health staff are friendly during sign up, become difficult and rude when claiming or maintenance on account.
Don't use HBF health insurance

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Emm

Emm

Useless

Emma

EmmaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Lovely service

Shopped around for best quote and HBF was the easiest to follow - simple pricing and explanations. I got a call back within 2 days and talked through what I needed from the policy and was helped to choose the best option (and not the most expensive). Friendly help that got me set up quickly and easily.

Adam S.

Adam S.Sydney, NSW

Great Price - Friendly Service

Switched from NIB to HBF and saved a stack for the same level of cover. Staff over the phone have been super helpful and friendly. Love their Quokka ads as well, super cute.

Ike

IkePerth, WA

DODGY SERVICE

We are very disappointed with HBF.

We got a quote and received a confirmation email for $2,158.25, but we got charged for $2,329.90. Then they got back to us saying that is the correct price we quoted. Did our eyes deceive ourselves when we saw $2,158.25 on their website??? Or did we receive the confirmation email from another company??? How can they lie in front of black and white evidence. We are so not happy with their dodgy service!!

Under 30No

HBF doesn’t know the meaning of REFUND!!

Hard to get a refund from this stinking health fund. Here is yet another attempt. Dear HBF
I have been chasing a refund from you since 1st March. Your staff keep promising a refund however nothing to date.
My last call to your office said I would have my money no later than 17th March, guess what it’s now later than that.

Thelma P.
Thelma P.

Overpriced and ripping me off.

I have been with HBF for 7 years but I don't feel the value in my policy. Every 6 months my premium goes up and my policy now costs about 50% more than it did when I signed up. I just got an online quote for the Equivalent policy and it would be hundreds of dollars cheaper if I cancelled and signed up again. And that is even with the significant discount I am supposed to be receiving through my employer.

I am trying to cancel but they don't make that easy. I would need to take time off work to be able to contact them during their work hours.

Sparky

SparkyPerth, WA

HBF don't pay for "reasonable" claims

Jeremy Parsons

Jeremy Parsons

Incompetent, Poor customer service.

Very slow to respond to requests, I have been waiting almost two weeks for an explanation on why they shorted my policy cover by half a month, Still no explanation. Escalated concern to a 24 hour response team. Surprisingly no response after 48 hours. When asking for an explanation on a calculation no one is competent enough to take ownership of the problem. try a different insurer if you can.
Claiming works fine unless you have a problem then their service is extremely poor.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020
HBF T.HBF

They avoid paying benefits with irrational rules.

Purchased $750 Orthotics at podiatrist.
The podiatrist invoice included the orthotics and consultation...fair enough.
HBF refused to pay the $400 benefit for the orthotics via hicaps because of the consultation charge.
HBF claim their system cannot process the consultation and orthotics together. I refuse to believe a multi-billion dollar company cannot implement software solutions to recognise the orthotics code.
I had to do the claim manually and waste time waiting on hold and submitting it myself online.
Pretty sure people would give up because the system is painful to use and not get their benefits.
May not be a deliberate scam, but they are denying people their benefits with stupid systems.

Claim DateFebruary 2020
Anthony G.
Anthony G.
Sue K.

Sue K.Perth, WA

Waste of Time Hbf Outpost

Went to a hbf booth conveniently located at a shopping centre near me.
Was told by the customer service officer that “ they don’t process claims here”.
Consequently there was no one at the booth except for three staff who were chatting and laughing. What a waste of policy holders money. No wonder premiums are so high!

Mark

MarkSouth East Queensland, QLD

Don't get sold into the non for profit idea

Claim DateNovember 2019