HCF Health Insurance

See the Best Health Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Disgusting -- using your credit information to open multiple accounts

HCF treats your bank account like a cookie jar once you give them that information. Even though I was only send one membership card and only agreed to pay for one policy, I had $133 taken out of my account and
a fortnight later $177. When I check my bank statement, money debited was for a different membership number! when I called to dispute the charges the first time, they were nice enough to cancel it and reverse the charges. The second time though, not so much. Angry and unprofessional operators claim that I've open multiple accounts. When asked if my money would be reverse, its like the question I shouldn't have asked. If you expect people to be happy calling you and being put on hold after having money keep being taken out of their account think again. They are a bunch of degenerate thieves. I had to pay my bank $5 dishonour fee just to cancel the direct debit for accounts I didn't open nor authorize for my credit card to be charged. Disgusting, will be looking into whether I can report this to a regulatory body.

No help with this crew!

Asked to put my policy on hold for 2 years due to financial reasons, l was told " we don't do that", well in their online info, they say they do that! I was transferred to a person whose job, l suppose, was to encourage me to stay insured, l was hardly unable to understand a word she said due to a bad foreign accent. She also said l could not place my policy on hold. The wording on the internet says each case is assessed on a case by case basis, but no mention of this was made. I would think because of the exodus of people from health funds hcf would at least assess my request, not this woman. When l rejoin a health fund in 2 years it will NOT be with this tin pot outfit.

Claim DateSeptember 2019

Exceptional Customer Service

It was easy to sign up. Their website is great. Their premiums were significantly better than my previous long-standing provider. And their phone support service was exceptional. Very highly recommended

Waiting for claim settlement

I had taken HCF cover for parents visiting to Australia. I had bad experience in claim settlement. A simple claim like GP visit takes forever to be settled and that too not without multiple emails and multiple calls. Sometime, the call gets disconnected when to select the right option.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Cajetan We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send us a email with membership details to customersupport@hcf.com.au , so that we can look into the matters you have raised. Please also mention “product review” in the subject of the email. Regards HCF TeamUpdate: As per the response, I did send the email but no response since I sent for last 5 days. Do not understand how they can be so ignorant.

Haven't been able to resolve technical system faults for close to two months

We only chose HCF because of their Thank You rewards program as we frequently buy Gold Class Movie tickets. For quite some time their rewards program was down and once it was back up we couldn't log into our account. We have spent hours on the phone with several customer service representatives troubleshooting this known issue which appears to be affecting many members and they have all asked us to repeat the same steps over and over and keep escalating it to the tech support team yet no solution has been found and they can't provide any workaround. Looking for alternative providers now as the service is very disappointing.

Book AgainNo

Great experience, no problems at all

Shifted over from Bupa a year ago and have been very happy with the switch. My gaps are far less than they were when I was with Bupa and I get to pick where I go without paying for it.

Scammers

I have got OVHC from hcf according their policies they cover all your cost towards GP that in their hcf network but when you claim that cost they advice they can't cover that cost. I have made complaint to ACCC what they offer online but not delivering accordingly. I just scamed by hcf now i have to pay most of the cost from my pocket. Don't ever use HCF they are scammers.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019

Don't join visa 600 as they wont provide certificate of insurance

i just signed up for the hcfvisitorhealthcover and called them up for the certificate of insurance and did not get one because they dont provide .. and when i asked for refund they rejected my claim and stole my $74... and it's just the next day i called... it seems a fake insurance policy... would never recommend anyone joining them...

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Jin B We are sorry to hear about the way you feel. We are willing to look into the matter you have raised. Can you please email us your OVHC Membership number to customersupport@hcf.com.au Do mention “product review” in the subject of the email. Regards HCF TeamI have send to the email provided... i would appreciate if you can help me out ....

They paid $9 out of $2400 in an emergency

My mother-in-law had an overseas visitor cover with HCF. She was taken to the closest hospital by ambulance and had no chance, as she was half-conscious, to choose her hospital.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJune 2019

HCF Health Insurance Change

I have recently switch from my previous insurance company to HCF and they have been very diligent and helpful throughout the whole process.
I am not getting more value for my money and am very glad I made the switch!

Book AgainYes

Don’t join the overseas cover! They’re not set up for it!

I’ve been with HCF overseas cover for six months. I’m from the UK.

I’ve never experienced such a bad time with a health insurance, I’m able to claim for hardly anything because I was given terrible advice by HCF to join the overseas member cover despite having Medicare already! I pay for extras but the amount that I pay appears that it mostly covers the Medicare portion I would usually receive. Worst choice ever. One of their representatives said to me once (they must have slipped up...) that they would refund me the amount I’d paid into the overseas member cover because no one should have allowed me to join if I was already eligible for Medicare! Of course this never happened either.

Every time I manage to make a claim, it’s so difficult. They don’t have an app for the overseas cover so you have to physically print off the claim form and send it into the email address, which takes so long, and is such an old method and very un-environmentally friendly! When I have been able to claim for example optical costs, despite saying that they cover 100% of optical costs up to my $150 limit, they wangled their way to only pay some of it!
I just don’t understand this company!

Most of the support team don’t actually understand the overseas cover, and keep forwarding me to other teams because it seems no one “has the training”. Surely you don’t roll out membership (baring in mind I’ve been with them for six months...) and don’t train your staff first?

I’m looking to go elsewhere. Really thought that once I’d signed up to health insurance, i wouldn’t have to worry about it, but it’s just been a pain in the bum!

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Charlotte We are sorry to hear about your experience Can you please email us your HCF membership details to customersupport@hcf.com.au . Please include product review in the subject of the email. Regards HCF Team

Very happy I changed to HCF

Firstly I need to praise Natalie in the sales team for a very comprehensive run-down of health covers on offer, and guiding me to choose the best fit for the lowest price (I did a lot of research), without being pushy. We have been with HCF for four months now and in that time had a dental check and clean and did not pay a cent, very happy!

Claim ApprovedYes

The worst health fund for dentistry

Worst health fund for dentistry. In an emergency like an abscess you wait for hours/days because they are short of dentists. We walked out of HCF dentists with bleeding mouths.

Not Happy Jan!

I was a member for five years paying 194 a month. Never made a single claim. Then i went thru a difficult financial period and called them to cancel. The lady who spoke to me said she wd put my policy on hold for 3 months and if at the end of that my finances were better she wd put me back on. At the end of 3 months however, with no consultation with me, i noticed another premium had been taken out. I informed them of it and more than a month later still trying to get that 194 dollars reimbursed! All this after i have paid them in excess of 11,600 dollars for nothing in return. I am just spending money on phone calls to HCF and paying overdrawn fees to the bank! NEVER AGAIN WITH HCF!

Book AgainNo
Hi We are sorry to hear about your experience Can you please email us your HCF membership and Dental Centre details to customersupport@hcf.com.au . Please include product review in the subject of the email. Regards HCF TeamAfter I complained again, HCF paid me back 194 dollars.

Unwilling to accept proof..

Called HCF to advise they the loading penalty on my cover should have expired on 09/3/19. There claim is that it is not due to expire until 2024. I advised that i had a clearance letter in email form, from my previous health fund to back up my claim. That flat out refused to accept the email claiming that it must come from the previous fund.
No matter how many times i explained i could forward the entire email to them they simply refused to accept it.
I called a second time and explained the situation once again and was met with the same brick wall.
As far as I'm concerned they are knowingly charging me more per week and will continue to do so until 2024 unless my previous fund goes through the process of advising them.
Why should they? I am no longer their customer i am HCF's customer and they won't put any effort in to assist, they expect everyone else to provide me with customer service yet they appear to be unwilling to do the same.
I will reluctantly change funds now because of their attitude toward this situation. It is not my preference but i simply refuse to pay more because they can't simply accept the proof i have for them.
They have served me well in the past but that is in the past i guess.
The search for a new fund starts soon and my feeling is I'll probably end up on a better deal anyway.

Lift your game HCF

Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Dear Sal WE are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please email us at Customersupport@hcf.com.au, please include your membership details and Product Review in the subject of the email. Regards HCF Team

Excellent to deal with questions answered without fuss or confusion we have been with HCF for over 20yrs and have never needed to look elsewhere for our health cover impressed with the service

Claim DateJune 2017
Claim ApprovedYes

Very convenient claim process through the app, and generally a short processing time

Policy value is in line with expectations
Have lodged a few claims for surgery, orthodontist, and others. Orthodontist claim is capped even when specified as a covered area.
Have been with HCF for 5+ years

Claim DateJune 2019

Awesome customer service! Thank goodness!

Speaking with someone whom actually used language that was understandable.Totally understood the policy and the process. They were polite and exceptionally polite. Provided all information regarding product to be able to make informed decision.

Claim MadeNo

Necessary for peace of mind.

On inquiring about the best policy last year, HCF was considered the best value for my needs, so I changed twelve months ago. It was easy to set up. As yet, I have not needed to make a claim.

Plan CoverageHospital Only

HCF great to deal with

Rang to enquire on ambulance claim response was very quick and staff was excellent to deal with and very helpful. I have had to make few claims this year and all dealt with efficiently.

Claim ApprovedYes

Is GP regular doctors' visits covered in "Short Stay " overseas visitors health cover? The website only stated the following: "Depending on the level of cover you choose, you can be covered for up to 100% of the cost of seeing a GP from our GP network. "
Hi Guini That is correct, GP Consultations are covered under the “Short Stay” Overseas Visitors Cover. You are covered for doctors’ services for items listed on the Australian Government Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and where the service would be eligible for an MBS benefit if provided to an Australian resident: For regular doctor visits, you will be covered with nothing to pay when you see a doctor through our network. https://www.hcf.com.au/content/dam/hcf/pdf/OVHC/Overseas-Visitors-Short-Stay.pdf Our Overseas Visitors Helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 13 68 42 (13 OVHC), option 2. You can call the helpline to ask health questions* or to access providers and services through the HCF network, including: • regular doctors (GPs) • after-hours GPs • emergency departments • specialist doctors • private hospitals. • nurse triage Hope this helps. Regards HCF Team

I just want to know if I am eligible form a claim on my insurance. I had a skin cancer removed a few weeks ago. The bill from the medical centre is $578.00. I realise I will be refunded by medicare for some of the amount. Will HCF provide further funding for this? My member number is 95484434.
Hi Bernard We hope you are recovering well after your procedure. Private health insurance policies cover some or all the costs of being a private patient in either a Public or Private Hospital for in-hospital (from when you’re officially admitted to hospital to when you’re officially discharged) treatment costs such as accommodation, operating theatre and other associated costs. If the consultations is deemed to be a outpatient service then health funds are not allowed to pay a benefit, this can only be claimed from Medicare. We are more than happy to look into this further for you, if you could email us at customersupport@hcf.com.au. Please include your membership number and mention “product review” in the subject of the email and also do let us know whether you were officially admitted to a hospital as an inpatient. Alternatively you can call us on 13 13 34 and our Hospital Information Line staff will be glad to assist you. Regards HCF Team

Do HCF cover anything towards veneers?
It's not an easy answer, ask your dentist to provide all the item codes, then send it to HCF, to verify and confirm what is covered, then circle back to your dentist, give them the approved items codes, then your dentist will provide you with the out of pocket expenses. Which will leave you wondering if it's even worth having a Pvt health insurance and the amount you pay every month!!!!. good luck.Thanks Frank I certainly could not find an answer in HCFs website.

CategoryHealth Insurance