HCF Health Insurance

HCF Health Insurance

Health Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of health insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.4

Kevin

KevinPerth, WA

Bad communication

Claim MadeYes

Still waiting on transfer certificate

Cancelled a month ago and still waiting on transfer certificate and still charging me. So I'm paying twice as much in insurance now. Please send me the transfer certificate now.

BeachgoerMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

How long to get a card

I recently joined HCF a month ago after transferring from another major fund. Whilst I wasn’t unhappy with the other fund the HCF extras on the surface seem better. 4 weeks later despite paying my premium in advance no membership card. Like other reviews on here I just get told to wait and it was ordered 4 weeks ago. Not a good start HCF any other organisation can get cards out within a week. Looking at other reviews this seems to be a consistent problem. Maybe it’s intentional to reduce us claiming through HICAPS ! I’d be interested in a response.

Beachgoer

HCF I have done as you requested and emailed. I still have not had any response. I still don’t have a card either.

Des

DesSydney, NSW

Lazy staff and zero customer service don't do it

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
woozie

wooziePerth, WA

Starter Extras Cover Worth It

Plan CoverageExtras Only

communication can be improved

Generic letters sent need to be verified before being sent out. The information on the letters can be confusing and may cause distress to customers.
Ensure customer service operation hours are up to date on the website.
Great customer service when you finally get through.

Plan CoverageHospital Only

THIEVES

I am not gonna explain all the situation again because I have already phone HCF and emailed them and nothing has changed, but believe me, do not pay for HCF overseas visitors insurance!!! They just care about getting their money and giving you fake information. They are very tricky with the terms and conditions. I have been told to go to a participating hospital to skip paying a big gap for a scan and in the end I have almost paid the full amount. I do not want to see their typical answer "contact our email and we will help you", I just want people to be aware that HCF is a waste of money.

Michele

MicheleSydney, NSW

Help during COVID-19

My husband and I have both been stood down with no pay during COVID-19, and I work in the travel industry which could be on stand down for quite some time.
I called HCF to see if they could assist in any way with my premium. The gentleman I spoke to kindly waived my premium for 3 months with no change to my cover.
The gentleman on the phone also suggested I check HCF Thank You on their website which offers a range of discounts on Woolworths, Coles etc. They are small discounts however every bit helps.
Thank you so much HCF, you have no idea how much this helps us right now. Very much appreciated!

Irina

IrinaSydney, NSW

Great insurance a lot of extras we can use for our health needs.

I have been with HCF for more than 15 years. Due to our age ( couple in our early 70s) and different health issues, we are on top level hospital cover plus extras.
Although on high end, it serves our health needs well. We are happy with easy to use web site, competent staff. I have also prefer their email correspondence over call center: never ever had any issues.
Some of the extras (like surgical shoes) are almost "unique" for HCF and disappeared from their competitors. We are like " zero access" for our day hospital procedures.
I would recommend HCF for any aged couple with multiple problems: you will get help!

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateApril 2020

Lucille

Lucille

No customer service

I joined in February and still haven’t got my card yet. I have requested one three times now and i just get told that it will come. April and still waiting. I have to pay up front in full because no card.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
CDAussie

CDAussieNortheast, VIC

Our new health insurer, time will tell.

HCF is our new chosen insurer after 5+ years with Nib, who have continued to increase our premiums and reduce our cover. Talk about benign neglect. We now have increased benefits, lower excess, lower premiums and more local approved providers so look forward to our new cover. Also their website looks very easy to use.

armadale 3143Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Beware the Unemployment Assistance Insurance!

armadale 3143

Update: I sent my contact details to HCF, and I received a call from lovely Rosalind who was very understanding of my situation. HCF have proposed a compassionate solution, and for that I thank them.

Amit

AmitSydney, NSW

Don't take overseas visitor health cover (OVHC) from HCF

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Abs

AbsSydney, NSW

Terrible terrible , not providing membership card for 4 months

I have joined HCF for nearly 4 months and I still haven’t received the membership card. I have received their letters many times but not a membership card . 1 week after instruction I called and they said 5-8 business days and suggested I will receive it another week. I called again a week and they guarantee I will receive it in 1.5 weeks . Nearly a month since my latest instruction I still couldn’t receive the card . They keep asking me to claim on line but after reviewing many bad comments here I don’t want to risk myself not able To clam the money back. Avoid hcf If you can. They are wasting your time and money

Uthpala J.

Uthpala J.South East Queensland, QLD

Useless & Worst Insurance Ever!!!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2019

Dan

DanSydney, NSW

Stay away from hcf

Absolutely disgusting. Have been paying a gold cover for 10 months! I already have been over charged $1300 which took me days to sort it out and make sure I get at least as a credit and now my wife (26yo) have been admitted to hospital with heart problem and they told the hospital that she wasn’t covered. ( brochure says 2 months waiting or 12 for pre existing conditions) I had to call them and spend nearly an hour on the phone to know that I have to do a hell lot of things to get her back in private as it should be! If you can, stay away from hcf!

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

shifts funding Responsibilities to Medicare where possible

Doesn’t cover psychology unless You have exhausted 10 sessions on a Medicare mental health plan. when you have private health cover for psychology you expect to be able to use your private cover without obtaining a doctor referral or using public funding
Also didn’t cover surgeons full cost for surgery

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

EdwardLogan City

Not worth One Star

Poor service does not describe, just how bad HCF is. I transferred from Medibank Private because of poor phone service, and a dud App, HCF is worse. Long wait s to speak to someone ( apparently in an Asian Call Centre) numerous phone disconnects. I went to make a claim, it was denied, as Medibank had not released my details to HCF, HCF hadn't bothered to anything about it, when I joined the fund, until I complained that my claim had been denied. Over all, a frustrating ,time consuming experience.
HCF App didn't work, until the 6th attempt
To make matters worse, my bank account details, were sent to me via email, for any hacker to see.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020
Edward

READ the One Star Review, it's self explanatory.

Alessandro

AlessandroMillswood

Making payments more complicated for members, Our way or the highway!!

I have been with HCF for about 6 years or more. I have always paid by internet banking. I have total control of my money. They are now suggesting 3 options, direct debit ( which is controlled by them ) phone every month to pay ( going back 15 years! ) or going into an office to pay ( great for time management) They have taken away the easier option of Bpay. These rules are for Life Insurance policy & Critical Illness Cover. I have hospital, extras & Critical Illness Cover & pay altogether. It's totally ridiculous, it's so simple now & they want to complicate it. Their letter states crap like " we save you time & hassle. Total crap!! Not happy at all. I will look at another provider.

beauty.paris21Sydney, NSW