HCF Health Insurance

HCF Health Insurance

Organising travel insurance - too easy!

HCF staff are always ready to help! As a long standing member I recently sought a quote on travel insurance, what a pleasant surprise! Competitive pricing and a quick transaction!

Coverage TypeSingle
Claim MadeNo
Book AgainYes
Hi Joanne, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback We are glad we were able to assist with your travel insurance needs. Regards HCF Team

Failing to honour ambulance Claim

Well over 7years with HCF, for the first time used ambulance during an emergency to ED in a hospital, my mrs had to stay for 1 day in observation.for fainting few times during the day, vomiting green biles and extremely weak, unable to walk even. The paramedic tried to take blood sample couldn't find the vein and said the ED will complete the process, as he couldn't find the vein as my mrs was highly exhausted/dehydrated and weak.
St John's ambulance sent an invoice stating the type of service as ' non emergency'. Called up HCF to to submit the claim, HCF told me to call st. johns to change the description of the service type if possible to emergency.
When i called St.john's, they stated that the service type is purely meant for their despatch unit, and does not define the condition of the patient. They advised me to describe to HCF the situation and condition and they would still honour the invoice.
I called up HCF after submitting the invoice from st. John's, as the claim process only asked to take picture of the of the invoice to upload, didn't have anywhere I could explain the circumstances.
HCF 'middleman between the customer and the claims dept said they would not honour the claim as it does not say emergency. I explained the entire script from st.john's ambulance and the circumstances and the condition of my mrs in.
I was told the ambulance is only when its an emergency! since the invoice doesn't say that it is not covered.
A. Even for an average intelligent person, why would the ambulance take the patient to emergency dept if it was not an emergency?
B. why would the ED admit my mrs for overnight stay in hospital?
C. are the customers paying for private health insurance harassed by health insurance companies and the medical system?
Will submit this ordeal imposed on our family to ombudsman and media to investigate the loopholes that the insurance companies and the ambulance / medical systems plays on hardworking people.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Frank, We are sorry to hear about your experience. So that we can review this matter for you, can you please email us at membersupport@hcf.com.au. Please include your membership number in the subject of the email and mention “product review”. Regards HCF Team

Great provider.

Great provider. Easy and hassle free claims process. Not for profit organisation that are about their members not shareholders. Highly recommended. I’ve been a member for 15 yrs and would not change.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim MadeYes
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Karena, Thank you for your continued loyalty and choosing HCF for your health insurance needs. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Regards HCF Team

Poor extra "podiatric" claim

If you want to claim podiatric items with HCF, you are wasting your time. Check the items with HCF before you make the decision. Apparently same items have been claimed by other providers but HCF has been very difficult. All consultants are robotic-trained and not willing to talk you even though the podiatrist wrote them a letter to explain the treatment.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim MadeYes
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Gsong, We are sorry to hear about your experience. So that we can review this matter for you, can you please email us at membersupport@hcf.com.au. Please include your membership number in the subject of the email and mention “product review”. Regards HCF Team

Very happy till now!!!!

We've been with HCF for many many years and been totally happy with everything. Until I tried to claim for new glasses in early January under my Multicover Extras policy.
I was originally told that if you didn't claim in a year then the $250 benefit would roll over till the next. Hence 2017 there was no claim. 2018 I claimed to receive $500 back from HCF. Very happy with that until this year when I would think that at the beginning of the new year I would be able to claim the $250 again.
Not so! If you don't claim in one year - YOU LOSE IT! The $500 I received in 2018 was for the 2018 and 2019 years. They paid me in advance but just didn't tell me that. So this year is nothing. Their rules stated that benefits were for "any two consecutive years" but now they have denied me of that and my partner. After spending much wasted time on the phone, their staff agrees that the wording is correct but the rules are definitely this year and the next. No provider has ever heard of any fund paying benefits a year in advance. These seem to be double standards and I am very disappointed.

Coverage TypeCouple
Claim MadeNo

Very poor claim team

I made a claim from a public hospital in Gympie 2 months ago, called 5 times already and every time I call there is a different story from HCF and no coordination or communication with me at all. One month ago they told me the claim was already processed and it would take one week and now they are telling me they need a provider number from the hospital.
When I made a claim from BUPA, 2 years ago, it was resolved in one week so I'm definitely coming back to them.
I gave 2 starts just because the customer service team was very supportive and helpful every time I called trying there best to help.

Coverage TypeCouple

Great experience at TTP branch. Excellent customer service with exceptional help and knowledge. No questions too difficult. Thank you for making something difficult so easy. Highly recommend HCF at TTP.

Coverage TypeSingle

Very happy with the service

I have been with HCF for 14 months and have been very happy with the service. The call centre staff are easy to deal with, friendly and professional. The magazine has quite comprehensive coverage and I especially like the fact that HCF is a not-for-profit organisation.

Insurance claim madeYes

Very affordable been with them for over 10 years now!

I have been with HCF for over ten years now and have found them very affordable and when it comes to claims they have a quick turnaround time for payments. Staff are always friendly and helpful

Highly recommend HCF

I changed to HCF 15yrs ago as was cheaper and have had no issues at all making hospital claims. I added extras 6yrs ago as all 3 of us wear glasses and my daughter plays sport, best decision i made as we use chiro, physio, optical and dental regularly. I recently looked at other funds but found i was getting a better deal for our needs with Hcf. Call centre staff are friendly and app is super easy to use.

HCF is a scam

I've had health insurance with HCF for a few months now, after getting some stomach problems I called and was told that HCF will cover me to see a specialist. I went and saw a specialist and need a gastroscopy.

After this I was told my health insurance was declined under "preexisting conditions" for a condition that is not preexisting and also after already being told there was no problems seeing a specialist. Traditional private health insurance stich up. I'd recommend staying away from HCF unless you want to face a similar circumstance to the one above.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jacob, We are sorry to hear about your experience. So that we can review this matter for you, can you please email us at membersupport@hcf.com.au. Please include your membership number in the subject of the email and mention “product review”. Regards HCF Team

Good insurance company

I've been with this company for several years under my parents contract. I recently switched to my own contract. They were very helpful. Making claims is easy and they pay quickly.

Not all Health Funds are the same:

Moved over to HCF three years ago and could not be happier with the service and friendly staff. The 'not for profit' status is a feature that attracted me to this fund and their rates are competitive.

Insurance claim madeNo

Fantastic Customer Service

My family and I have been members of HCF since 2004, and we have always had prompt and positive interactions with HCF.

customer service

I have been with the company since 2009 and have always received fast and efficient service, which is an essential aspect for me, due to the nature of my work and constant travel

Misleading 'More for Feet Program' no gap consult fee

Generally, I've never had any issues with HCF until now particularly concerning the misleading or should I say false advertising with 100% money back on initial consultations. After many phone conversations back and forth to get to the bottom of my claim, I was finally told today that HCF only cover $74 of an initial consultation fee for podiatrists that PARTICIPATE through the 'More for feet program'. I specifically chose this podiatrist with the knowledge my first consult would be covered by HCF. I paid a gap of $47 at my appt and the podiatrist charged a total of $90 for the initial const. I then submitted the claim with receipts to which I received an acknowledgement from but no reimbursement...I then emailed our HCF contact who transferred it over to the claims dept and was subsequently reimbursed only $31 of the $47 I should have been paid. A few phone calls back and forth and was informed that they don't actually cover the full fee...that in itself is false advertising and very misleading. I queried this over the phone and she said she would be sure to pass on my feedback but with no apology or explanation as to why they advertised this but only reimburse $74 of a podiatrist consult fee...not happy. Yes, it's $16 but it's the principle of it - to provide that service to your customers, especially if they pay for ultimate hosp + extras.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Bethany, We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please email us at membersupport@hcf.com.au so that we can review this matter for you. Please include your membership number in the subject of the email and mention “product review”. Regards HCF Team

They go out of their way to listen and respond.

I have been with them for longer than 3 years. Their service is fantastic and the extras is great for a family. My dentist is always happy with their coverage and so are we.

Insurance claim madeNo

Excellent, confidential and efficient service

Been with HCF for just over 12 months, they are always easy to deal with. Extras claims are quick and simple and are paid very quickly. Customer service reps have always been helpful, non-judgemental and understanding.

Insurance claim madeYes

Takes your money and doesn’t transfer your policy when they are supposed to

I have been with them on my own policy for 8 months. As a family we have been with them for over 15 years. I was transferred to my own policy earlier this year and have been paying for it monthly, top hospital and top extras. I called them a few days ago to make sure I was eligible for their more for you programs, meaning I could get 100% back on an appointment I had booked. They confirmed this was correct. I went to swipe my card at the end of my appointment for HCF to cover the cost... declined. Tried again and the same thing happened. I called HCF and they said it was because they hadn’t transferred me properly off my parents policy to my own (that I had been paying for the past 8 months). Eventually, 40 minutes later, they got it sorted. Eventually managed to track someone down from that department to get me transferred correctly. This was all very embarrassing but it ended well. The entire cost for the appointment was covered.

Insurance claim madeYes
Emma We are sorry to hear about your experience. We are glad to know that our member care team was able to rectify the issue for you. If you require any further assistance then please email us at service@hcf.com.au Regards HCF Team

Poor Customer Service

Joined HCF for Hospital and Extra on 5th November 2018 from Medibank private health fund.
Went to the optometrist to get glasses on 31 Dec 2018, got denied due to the waiting period.
When I joined HCF I was told because you are coming from another health funds waiting period doesn't apply to you.
When I rang them and explained the problem I was given three different answers.
1. Your current cover is different from your previous cover from Medibank private.
2. We still haven't received clearance certificate from Medibank private (no one informed me about that)
3. Some on spot processing machine doesn't work properly so pay them in cash and claim it back.
Why do I have to pay optometrist as well when I am already paying membership?
Was on phone more than 20 minutes still no proper solution.
When I ask the person can I talk to his supervisor, got a reply he is busy and will ring you today, waited till 5PM still no call back.
When I ask him about his employee no he gave me three letters, no number and answer, this is the employee no we have in HCF.
HCF have no problem taking money for the service they are not providing.
HCF don't even bother to inform the customer if they are not covering him because of any reason.
HCF customer service centre is in overseas and standard of service is below acceptable.
Wouldn't recommend HCF to anyone.

Insurance claim madeYes
Ash&Karen We are sorry to hear about your experience. So that we can follow up on the status of callback, can you please send us your membership details by email to customersupport@hcf.com.au . Please include your membership number in the subject of the email and mention “product review”. Regards HCF Team