Health.com.au

Everything is pre exisiting - even emergency surgery

I had emergency surgery performed and have 3 independent medical reports that state the symptoms were never present, it was not pre exisiting, not to mention this problem is something that occurs almost immediately and it is physically and medically impossible to be pre exisiting yet they have deemed it pre existing from their 'independent medical referee'. I am looking to get in touch with anyone else who has had similar problems as I will be forming a group to take this matter further as these thieves should not be able to get away with it!

Coverage TypeSingle
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Madi, We are saddened to see you submit this review, particularly as we have tried to assist you as best we can within our fund rules. We've communicated with you via phone, email, your multiple posts across our social media pages and via the Ombudsman. We will always follow the decision of the Ombudsman, and we understand that if you do not agree with their initial review and wish to have it re-escalated with them, then you do have the right to do so. We would strongly advise against publishing your personal medical details on the internet, and any follow up communications should be referred to the Ombudsman. Thank you.I have not received a phone call from your company so that is false. I am saddened that your company has made a decision that is simply physically impossible what you are claiming. It only takes 1 simple google search to show that my emergency surgery is medically impossible to have been pre exisiting and not a ‘pre existing condition’ like you have deemed when it is not even a condition so it is extremely disappointing to have a health fund who doesn’t even have your best interests

No happy

We switched over to Health. What a Disaster. Each fortnight it went up in price. Customer service laughed at me when I We queried as to why this was happening Then I was Lumped with another fee Pro rata fee ? Then was told we need to backpay pymts we were only in this cover for two months. When I decided enough was enough. They had the audacity to tell my husband he was still in the fund even though we both exit together. Never would I recommend them to anyone. Also this was with ( i’Select comp) once again never again.

Worst Health Insurer on the planet

I applied online and didn't hear anything from them until I called to see where my cards were. Next minute, the cards arrived in the mail but I had not received any confirmation or information about my policy, nor had I made any payments. I swiped my card through at the optometrist but the card did not work and I had to pay in full at the optometrist. I was put in contact with one of their claims officers who provided me with his email address to send the tax invoice to for my refund. 3 weeks later and I am still waiting for the money. In the meantime, I have been charged 3 times for the monthly amount as the initial set up was completed incorrectly by Health.com.au all of my direct debits were delayed. They can't even chase up a transfer certificate from my previous health insurer so I receive the correct government rebate.
Now my new Health insurer is waiting on a transfer certificate from Health.com. There is only so much incompetency I can handle so I have taken my business elsewhere.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedNo

Utterly Terribly & very frustrated

I have been with them for 2 months referred from ISELECT. I had seen on their web site Health offering
30 days free if you join with them. So I called them asking them if I would be getting the free 30 days. After confirming who I was, health card number DOB & address being told I had to wait 30 days before being eligible. 6 weeks had gone by, before realizing they were still taking direct debits. I called again being told because I was referred from ISELECT, I was not entitled. Had the argument with them only to be told there was no phone call recording stating that no-one from HEALTH had told me that. I had called some other company. WHAT A LOT OF !!! I cant even cancel my policy now cause it has past the 30 days to get my money back. Heaven knows how I am going to go when I do claim for the first time after reading others & their reviews. If I could OPT OUT I would with out a doubt. Can't wait until ACCC catches them out, because they will hopefully sooner than later.

Coverage TypeCouple

Awesome!!

I was with HIF for years and they didn't want to to know me after some confusions with the policy I had. Health.com.au came to the rescue and covered me with all the things I had with HIF. when I told HIF I was leaving then they decided they wanted to cover me again and were very sorry as a new guy had handled the account or some rubbish. they caused me so much stress

Health.com.au covered me and I had surgery 1month into my new policy all went smoothly and stress free, I have now recommended them to my family and friends. great health insurance.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes

By far the best health fund I've had. Iselect helped me choose them based on my needs especially for natural therapies.

Great value. Easy setup with iselect. Health.com customer service team are fantastic on the phone. Been with them since Nov 2018. Made a few claims for important things with no issue.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Coverage TypeSingle
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes

Shocker of a company and not worth the trouble

Shocker of a company. They can’t get anything right, from basic billing and sign ups to charging the correct premiums.

It’s like they asked a bunch of dummies to run the joint. I hate to think what will actually happen if you need to make a claim! Dont waste your time with these scum bags. They are unethical, don’t follow basic government regulations concerning LHCs, and staff are absolutely clueless.

The online form doesn’t work to sign up. They can’t even collect the most basic of Medicare details correctly - and attribute their own incompetence to it being “a new system”.

They can’t even report your correct details to government agencies to ensure you get the correct rebate.

Absolute joke of a place run by 12 year olds with no idea

Do yourself a favour and ditch this place

Book AgainNo

So happy we found this company

We moved from our previous provider about 4 months ago and so far our experience has been exceptional.
We are a family of 5 with 3 young children, all in good health. This means we use our cover primarily for the extras and so far it's been amazing. Everywhere we have gone has taken our cards and we receive the benefit on the spot. We receive a 75% rebate on the total cost rather than a set amount which sets it worlds apart from our previous provider.
We have not yet used the hospital admission so I can't comment on that.
I would also note that the staff at the call centre are exceptional. Absolutely outstanding actually. They are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and always follow up with a friendly text or email to check in. To be honest this alone is enough to make me loyal for life (assuming they don't change).
All in all this company has been a breath of fresh air in our lives and if the providers I've given my card to are anything to go by then many others are feeling the same way. The response is always "ah health . Com lots of our customers are coming in with these cards and all are raving about them"

Insurance claim madeYes

Please read reviews and do your own research

Initially I was inquired about health insurance through iselect. I was mislead from the very beginning quoting when I have to go into hospital for anything like tonsillectomy or wisdoms teeth I’m covered. Just pay the excess. This is very misleading because they take the teeth removal out of your dental extras so if your covered for $650 for dental and it costs $600 per tooth, your not covered so there’s another $1500 plus your anaesthetist and then there’s your excess of $500.
Also it clearly says my policy includes things like tonsillectomy and adenoids, so when my son needed a tonsillectomy I thought sweet were covered. The surgeon sent me a item list and my out of pockets were estimated over $2500 I thought that’s what my health fund will pay. Called them up and no that’s what I pay. So what do you pay for? Well the hospital fees and that’s it. Wow what an eye opener.
I also saw an osteo 2 weeks ago and using hicaps it was declined, thought I haven’t used any of this extras before so called them up and they had him down as a dentist. I’m still waiting for my 65% refund 2 weeks later. Just not good enough when you call and they say it’s been approved it will be in your account Monday and that was last week.

Useless !!

Terrible company and horrible staff. Asked for a yearly summary of payments but refused to supply so sent 94 receipts instead. When I called to again request was told that was all they were going to supply. Useless!!

Once bitten twice shy!

Watching the adverts for iSelect I thought I'd ring them (mid March 2018) and find out what was on offer from Health Funds as dreaded April 1 was fast approaching when Health Funds increase their prices. I explained my situation to the iSelect Consultant and what my fund was going to do and he came up with a figure of $245 pm with Health.com.au......about $35 less than my existing fund.

I was ecstatic as this is a significant saving and better in my pocket! They organised the transfer from the other fund and I thought things were hunky dory.......until.......I received an email from Health.com.au saying that as I was a new member I wouldn't have received notification yet that my monthly payment of $245 from 1 April would rise by 11%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt like I had been mislead and that this practice is unethical and outrageous soooooo BUYER BEWARE!!! Let me clarify.....I was mislead to believe that the $245 would be the ongoing monthly amount with Health.com.au........after 1 April, after all that was the whole reason for the switch.

I sent them 2 X emails stating what had happened, how I felt and asked them to refund my $$$ and did not receive a response to my emails or the repeated request until I rang (waited over 15 minutes to speak to someone) and spoke to someone who has reimbursed me and closed my account with them. Thank-you!!!

I'm happy to say that I've returned to Bupa and their customer retention area has given me a great deal and incentive to stay with them.......and now I'm happy again :)

Insurance claim madeNo

Premiums have increased by 10-12% every year. Customer care actively try to reduce your coverage, or

If the current rate at which health.com.au raises its premiums continues, in 10 years time, my health insurance will cost around $90 per week, or $4680 per year, for a single male.

I joined health.com.au when it was in its infancy. Year on year, premiums have risen by an astonishing amount (10-12% per annum), well above the national average. And my cover, in particular, has been raised more than the average yearly increases for other health.com.au customers.

When questioning the company as to why the rates have gone up by such large amounts, only standard and unsatisfactory responses have been provided, which relate to the reasons that private health insurance is raised in general (increase in costs due to hospital equipment and procedure costs). I have been told by customer service, in no uncertain terms, that if I did not like the price increases I was more than welcome to shop elsewhere.

They punish you for being a long-standing client. I can quote them saying that because I was a client since the beginning, that 'naturally' prices would increase more for me as I was receiving lower rates for joining the company in its infancy. This is the only type of business I have run into where you are punished for loyalty and assisting them to grow their business.

You are actively encouraged to move to lower coverage by unfair, poorly-regulated, annual price-hikes. They push you to their cheaper products, leaving you open to lacking the appropriate cover when you need it most.

Anyone thinking they're getting a good quote today, or getting some sort of special, rest assured that they will make sure they more than make up for any initial savings you may receive.

-------------

As for my review on making claims:

I have not had to use any hospital cover so cannot comment on claims made for that service.
However, I have not had any issue with claiming on the following extras:
- Chiro
- Remedial Massage
- Dental (cleaning and fillings)
- Health Maintenance (gym membership)

Insurance claim madeYes

Good cover, fast claims processing

We are with them now for about 5 years and never had any issues or rejected claims. Could not be happier.
Hospital or extras, within the policy limits, no problems.
Online claiming is easy as.

Insurance claim madeYes

Easy to deal with. Good value

I went hunting for the most basic hospital only health cover to avoid the medicare levy surcharge and health.com.au provided the most competitive and lowest rate. It's difficult to say if it's worth it in terms of things it's covering as I don't really expect to get anything out of it other than avoiding the surcharge. I like how it has ambulance cover though in the extent that I do have an emergency. Things may change as I age and actually am more likely to require more comprehensive health insurance. The process of signing up was easier, and the customer support was helpful and easy to deal with.

Happy customer

They offer great value for money and they always provide great customer support. I have found health.com.au to provide the best coverage for my family. I am very happy with them..

Insurance claim madeNo

Everything in the fine print!!

Customer support fine and policy easy to establish mainly because, as we found out much to our dismay, everything is in the fine print!!! Three recent claims, fairly standard, have all been rejected because it is not covered.

Insurance claim madeYes

Never had a problem, im also surprised about these negative reviews

every time i had to make a claim it has been easy and quick. Every time i call the person i talk to has great customer service. my cover is a bit expensive though, i have my wife and my 2.5 year old daughter, and we only use this to go to the dentist a few times a year and glasses every year. i have to pay 90 per month.

Insurance claim madeYes

Ombudsman has represented me 3 times against this dodgy company - BE WARNED!!

Be warned about this dodgy company !

I have had three nightmare claims with them and am now very qualified as a customer to legitimately warn people away from them.

I have had the Ombudsman go after this company THREE TIMES. Yes, three separate times for 3 surgeries that were clearly covered under my policy WITH an approved Medicare item number AND supporting documents from my specialist.

On all three occasions they have automatically rejected the claim even with all of the supporting documentation and all three times received a warning from the Ombudsman until they eventually paid up. It took many months for my hospital and surgeon to get paid each time.

My favourite experience with this dishonest and unethical company though was ..... receiving an email inadvertently sent to me, their customer, by accident from a staff member who was bitching about and running me, my surgeon (a professor with the Royal Women's Hospital) and the Ombudsman down. It was gold.

A few minutes after she realised that she'd sent the email to the customer instead of her co-worker she rang me, trying to bluff her way through downplaying what I had just read. The arrogance and attempt at minimising what she had just done was breathtaking.

In this email, the staff member admitted to having overlooked my claim in her inbox for over six weeks, admitted that her manager had told her to "just reject" all claims and then went on to say "here we go again with this customer". It was a frightening insight into the bad ethics and illegal practices of this company (and others no doubt).

I found this company through iSelect, who I have since found out have shares in this company and as such pushed me towards signing up with them.

I will never trust or use iSelect again because of this experience.

For more than ten years I was with Medibank and Bupa and never had a single problem with a claim.

Health.com.au waited until a couple of days before my scheduled surgery to start hitting me with emails requesting "further documentation to support the necessity for" my surgery. I had, on all three occasions already paid the surgeon and the Anaesthetist in full after having received the go-ahead several weeks earlier from Health.com.au

I am a contract manager by trade and am pedantic about detail and getting things signed off clearly in writing. Even with this, and emails from them accepting my proposed surgery and Medicare item number they were still able to cause me a nightmare to the point where the Ombudsman was calling me the afternoon before my surgery to tell me it could go ahead.

I cannot put into words how distressing and upsetting it is to be mentally preparing yourself for major surgery with children at home only to have your life put into turmoil by this company and their no-pay tactics.

The Ombudsman advised me they have had a lot of complaints about this company and that their internal paperwork is in breach of the law. Yet they are still operating inspire of so many complaints and warnings from the watchdog body.

How they are still in business is beyond me but I feel so sorry for elderly or unsuspecting people who sign up with them knowing the hell they will put them through should they need to claim.

Most people would get bluffed and bullied by them and give up but I was lucky enough to know my rights and got things in writing from them. You have to be tenacious and relentless with this horrible company.

My nightmare started two years ago with them and I am about to move back to my old provider but I have stayed with them on principal to make them pay as they were clearly trying to frustrate me into giving up and changing provider - hence getting them off the hook for paying.

They have now paid and I'm moving back to my old provider but I'm hoping this review saves atleast one person from the horror of dealing with this shocker of a company.

Fantastic health cover

I'm actually surprised by these reviews. I've been with health.com.au for 6 years and have never had a problem, I go to the dentist twice a year, the physio and sports massage regularly and I get two new pairs of glasses a year. I use my card at all these place and only pay the gap which is always small. I once had to have a colonoscopy and only had to pay 250 instead of 1350. There customer service is really fantastic. I would highly recommend them. Slightly more expensive than most funds but you pay for what you get

Insurance claim madeYes

Mostly good and a few gripes

The bottom line is my premium has almost doubled in the 4.5 years I've been with them so I am cancelling it.

I had my first baby and went through all that with them which was mostly fine. One time though I was confused about part of my policy and had to call like 3 times and speak to different people, all whom gave me conflicting advice, until I finally got a clear answer.
Communication from them is poor, and it's very hard to find detailed information about your policy. Also I thought under my policy my children would be covered at no extra cost. That wasn't the case, I was paying double for my child to be covered as well so straight away cancelled that.

Was good to start and now I think the premium increases are insane (%12 this year) and they change your policy details without properly communicating exactly what's changed. So I will be cancelling.