Health Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of health insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.0

Julie S.

Julie S.Sydney, NSW

Touch and go

Ravshan U.

Ravshan U.Perth, WA

I can't be more thankful!

I was with them from early 2011 till 2013 on overseas visitor hospital cover. My wife joined a few month later.
11 month after my wife joining HIF our first child was born and needed intensive care, and hospital costs came to about 20k. Due to her not having completed 12 month waiting period HIF first declined to cover these costs. However after I mentioned that they have earlier had told me over the phone that it would be covered (wrongly assuming me and my wife joined at the same time), they quickly (within hour) investigated the recorded calls and told me they will accept the claim.
We were of course over the moon! That time 20k was hell lot of money that we didn't have.
Belated thanks to HIF!

Claim DateJuly 2012
Ann

AnnSydney, NSW

Just simply avoid them at all costs

Poor customer service.
Been a loyal customer for 5 years.
Membership was cancelled due to credit card being compromised. Was busy completely forgot to update my payment details until i received an email from them advise membership cancelled. Call them to sort thing out and they said i can't payback the owing amount, membership already cancelled cannot be reinstate. Forcing me to rejoin on a new policy and having to reserve my waiting period again.

Just avoid them please. Very disappointed.

Plan CoverageExtras Only

Mrs APerth, WA

A very happy HIF member.

Claim DateApril 2020
Mrs A

David, what a lovely response! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and caring reply. My husband and I are doing great now thanks, both happy and healthy thanks to HIF. :) Take care and keep up the great work!

Unethical and poor customer service

Chris

Chris

Dishonest and keep your money

I rang HIF on 31 March to cancel my health insurance policy, with an effective cancel date of 4 April. On 5 April I found that HIF had charged my credit card for another month's insurance. I rang HIF and they assured me a refund would be issued on my card for the month's insurance within a week. It is now 20 April and I have yet to receive a refund.

It's not bad enough that HIF charged my card after I cancelled, but now they are holding on to the funds. It should not take more than 2 weeks to issue a refund! Very poor service and outdated processes. They still haven't implemented the ability to change payment methods on their online portal.

John

JohnPerth, WA

Left HIF after many years

Began with HIF in 1976 but recent events have disappointed me with their lack of integrity and service. Received a letter to say that due to a postage error HIF our personal details had been compromised. Rang call centre to get more info....very abrupt and dismissive operator. Asked to speak to team leader....couldn’t connect told the TL would call back...didn’t. Through iSelect compared covers and have now joined NIB and saved nearly $1400 per year.

Ben

BenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Customer Service :(

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim DateFebruary 2020
Bertie59

Bertie59Perth, WA

Glad I made the switch

Up until recently, I was with another insurer and paying a very high premium. I recently switched to HIF and while I slightly lowered my cover, I have managed to save a lot of money and still be covered for the things I need. I signed up over the phone and the salesperson, Gavin, was friendly and knowledgeable and made everything easy for me to understand (I'm a bit of a technophobe!). So far I'm very happy with the service and the benefits I've received for my optical and dental claims. I'm glad I've made the switch.

Claim DateFebruary 2020

Adrian WA

Adrian WAPerth, WA

HIF saved me $$$ at the dentist

I went to the dentist for a check up and clean. I had only recently moved over to HIF and wasn't exactly sure how much they would cover. I was pleasantly surprised that they covered a huge chunk of the amount. I was really impressed and glad I made the move.

MichaelSydney, NSW

So misleading.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJune 2019

MichaelPerth, WA

Excellent Service

HIF A.HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Rates skyrocket increase by nearly 9% every yr rather than the national average of 2.9%

Been with HIF for 5 yrs but after 5 yrs of crazy price rises, its time to do some serious shopping around. I've barely used the policy other than dental and a day-patient procedure. Now have had a message that they are no longer covering day procedures. The over $12K I've given them in those 5 yrs could be sitting in a bank acct to cover my medical bills. I think families and couples get better discounts (according to feedback from friends) - but singles you pay through the roof!

HarjitWestern Australia

Issue Resolved

HIF Resolved the genuine issue raised by myself promptly. Mistake has been fixed and the policy document has been changed as per the HIF staff conversation with me. I am happy with the outcome.

Hi Lisa,
I have responded to you by email with all the details and conversations i had with HIF about general Hospitalisation 2 months waiting period for OHVC. Thanks

Kazza

KazzaPerth

Worst health care

Policy is misleading and frankly a complete wrought.
Seemed that whatever we needed cover for, it wasnt covered. Also signed up specifically for Ambulance cover and am told we dont have it. When I asked for the original quotes and voice recordings (which is what they told me they were getting to verify I never asked for ambulance) they dont have them (convenient) and requested I send the info to them!
I somehow went from a gold plan (card says gold, app says bronze) to a bronze plan, not that it matters because anything you need covered, well it isnt.

Looking at replacements have only found one other that tries to sting you an extras cost for ambulance.
They cover stuff medicare covers, they are a total waste of money

Ren

RenRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Poor customer service, lapsed my policy under misleading information.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Sales manager13

Sales manager13Cairns

Poor communication, useless web site

Still waiting for a $150 gift card, now 7 months.
The new web site is a total disaster, insufficient information regarding my policy.
You now have to phone to get your remaining extras amounts, this entails a very long wait for you call to be answered.
WA is not that far from Qld but it could be on the other side of the World when dealing with this company.

TristanMelbourne

Excellent value and coverage for the price until I claimed for crutches!

Claim DateAugust 2019
Tristan

I've updated the review after recent events

AnjuSydney, NSW

It is a big scam

I took a HIF policy with their promise of $150 FPOS card. Please look out for this as this is a big scam. It has been 3.5 months and the card hasn't reached me yet. I have called them atleast 4 times already. The 1st call they told me that it will only be dispatched after 3 months of holding the policy. Then I called them again on 12th June they said it will be dispatched on the 14th, and today is 19th and i haven't still received it. It is a big big scam. Don't get a policy wit HIF

Membership no is 166398

AntsSydney, NSW

Time to switch

Recently received notice from HIF that my Goldstarter hospital cover will be changed to Bronze Plus starter hospital ( because of the reforms).
Letter mentioned how great the new cover will be and listed the cover inclusions/exclusions however what HIF FAILED to mention is that AMBULANCE COVER will no longer be offered under their hospital policies. I'm a NSW resident, so being informed that ambulance cover will not be available is important to know.
I think HIF is seriously in breach of product disclosure/changes and I will be escalating this matter to the Industry ombudsman.

glenvilleasked

I am currently a member of HIF on Goldstar basic. I suffer from sleep apnea. If I buy a Cpap Machine, can I claim something from the fund? glenvilleaitken@gmial.com. Thank you.

Hello Glenville,

Thanks for your question. We certainly do pay a rebate on CPAP machines however it’s included on our Super or Premium Options Extras Covers (not Hospital cover) within the External Prosthesis / Medical Appliance category. Here's a quick overview of what can be claimed:

One machine can be claimed every 5 years from the previous supply (per person) and the benefit will be deducted from the Prosthesis annual limit of $1,500. The benefits payable are:
$300 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 3-5 years.
$600 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 5+ years.

It’s important to note though, that a 3-year waiting period would apply for this service should you wish to add Extras cover to your existing hospital cover. I hope this helps, however, if you have any further questions, or would like to speak with one of our Product Experts, feel free to email me directly at social@hif.com.au and I can arrange this for you.

Take care, Lisa.

glenville

Thanks, i also rang and found out same info.

Tina R.

Tina R.asked

Can I claim for a back support brace from HIF

HIF A.HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Hi Tina, thanks for getting in touch. If you’re an HIF Member and hold Super or Premium Options Extras Cover you will be eligible to claim a rebate for a back support brace under your prosthesis benefits. To do so, we’d simply need a letter of recommendation from your treating practitioner (along with your paid invoice) and you’d also need to have served the applicable 12-month waiting period. I hope that helps, but if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly. You can reach me on social@hif.com.au. Thanks, Molly.

Tania Bezuidenhout

Tania Bezuidenhoutasked

I am an HIF customer, I want to pay only for extras (Dental, Cardio and Eyes) what would the disadvantages be?

HIF A.HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Hi Tania, thanks for your question. I believe you've just spoken to my colleague Sharon who was able to answer your queries regarding your HIF Membership. If I can ever be of assistance in the future though, please don't hesitate to contact us directly on social@hif.com.au. Thanks, Molly.

Get an answer from our members and HIF (Health Insurance Fund) representatives