HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Poor communication, useless web site

Still waiting for a $150 gift card, now 7 months.
The new web site is a total disaster, insufficient information regarding my policy.
You now have to phone to get your remaining extras amounts, this entails a very long wait for you call to be answered.
WA is not that far from Qld but it could be on the other side of the World when dealing with this company.

Coverage TypeCouple
Book AgainNo
Hello, and thanks for this feedback. I’m really sorry that you feel we’re letting you down at the moment, but I’ll do my best to resolve this for you ASAP. Firstly, I’m keen to investigate what’s happened to your $150 cash card, as new Members should expect to receive those approximately 6 weeks after joining us. To allow me to look into this for you, please can you email your full name and Member number to social@hif.com.au and I’ll follow this up as a matter of priority. Regarding our new Online Member Centre, that only went live last Thursday so any other feedback you can offer would be much appreciated! You can email all feedback and suggestions for future improvements to omc@hif.com.au. In the meantime though, I just wanted to clarify that the ability to view your remaining Extras limits has never been available online. That’s something we’re working hard to fix though, and I’ll personally ensure that I touch base with you in the future once that feature is available. Finally, I’m sorry that you encountered a longer-than-expected wait time on the phone recently. I’ve just checked our current call waiting times though, and right now it’s two minutes - so you must have caught us on a particularly busy day! If you’d ever like me to arrange for us to call you in the future instead, to action requests or other queries, please don’t hesitate to email me on the address provided above and I’ll be happy to help. Warm regards, Nikki Atack Marketing Manager

Excellent value and coverage for the price until I claimed for crutches!

I had ankle surgery and the benefits were excellent.

The gold insurance pays for virtually all of my health needs with very little gaps.

Claims paid without drama.

I almost never need to call the company.

Then I submitted my claim for $60 crutches. Not only did HIF argue with me for two hours they finally paid the $60 after ombudsman referral.

I pay them $3081 a year and that day I paid them $237

The policy was very unclear about coverage of crutches and they seemed to be trying not to recognise previously served periods at Medibank

Not only did they waste my valuable time, they referred to an internal prosthesis list unavailable to their members until they claim

I was quite disappointed that after paying for the whole surgery they made such a vicious and disrespectful attempt to save $45 after paying for a $12000 surgery.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Tristan, That’s wonderful to hear, thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review. Our Members are our number one priority, so I’m thrilled to hear you’ve had such a positive claiming experience. I hope you’re recovering well from your surgery, and if you ever have membership queries or need assistance in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch. You can contact me any time on social@hif.com.au. Warmest regards, Lisa (Digital Marketing Consultant)I've updated the review after recent eventsHi Tristan, Thank you for the recent update to your review, although I’m sorry to hear you felt disappointed on this occasion. Please rest assured that we’ve taken your feedback onboard; and to resolve any future confusion about the benefits payable on take-home equipment, appliances or items, we’ve updated the applicable paragraph on page 8 of our Health Cover guide. Thanks again for your input on this Tristan, and please remember that you can always email me direct on social@hif.com.au if you ever have other questions or need assistance in the future. Warm regards, Lisa (Digital Marketing Consultant)

It is a big scam

I took a HIF policy with their promise of $150 FPOS card. Please look out for this as this is a big scam. It has been 3.5 months and the card hasn't reached me yet. I have called them atleast 4 times already. The 1st call they told me that it will only be dispatched after 3 months of holding the policy. Then I called them again on 12th June they said it will be dispatched on the 14th, and today is 19th and i haven't still received it. It is a big big scam. Don't get a policy wit HIF

Book AgainNo
Hi Anju, I’m very sorry you feel we’ve let you down on this occasion. Our gift card rewards are usually mailed out in weekly batches, so I sincerely apologise if yours hasn’t arrived on time as promised. To enable me to investigate the status of your outstanding $150 reward, please can you email your full name and HIF Member number to me on social@hif.com.au. Once I have those details, I’ll follow this up for you as a matter of priority. Kind regards, LisaMembership no is 166398Hi Anju, Thank you for providing your Member number and I’m sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, we didn’t receive a notification of this comment. I’ve just followed this up for you and have been advised that you’ve since spoken to one of my colleagues and your $150 voucher has now been sent as per the promotional terms and conditions available here – www.hif.com.au/promotions). I hope this helps to ease your concerns Anju, but if there’s anything else I can help with, you’re welcome to contact me via email at social@hif.com.au. Many thanks, Carly Stewart (Digital Marketing Consultant)

Time to switch

Recently received notice from HIF that my Goldstarter hospital cover will be changed to Bronze Plus starter hospital ( because of the reforms).
Letter mentioned how great the new cover will be and listed the cover inclusions/exclusions however what HIF FAILED to mention is that AMBULANCE COVER will no longer be offered under their hospital policies. I'm a NSW resident, so being informed that ambulance cover will not be available is important to know.
I think HIF is seriously in breach of product disclosure/changes and I will be escalating this matter to the Industry ombudsman.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Book AgainNo
Hello Ants, Thanks for taking the time to share this review. Please rest assured though, that under NSW law, you’re automatically covered for emergency ambulance services by your state government if you have Private Health Insurance Hospital Cover. The same goes for residents of the ACT, while other rules apply to WA, SA, Vic, Tas, Qld and the NT. To find out more about that, please see page 15 in our PDS (available from www.hif.com.au/guide) or visit the NSW government resource here: http://www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/media/docs/Billing_FAQ_NSW_update28062016-d9d8c655-790a-4827-a9e1-09776ff0e449-0.pdf For non-emergency ambulance transport however, it’s important to understand that we’ve never covered that on our Hospital Cover options. Instead, HIF pays benefits on emergency and non-emergency ambulance services through our Extras Covers instead. Here is the information that we’ve provided in our PDS for many years now: “Ambulance cover is not included in any of our Hospital policies; however, under New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory legislation, we’re obliged to contribute toward the cost of operating state or territory-provided emergency ambulance services on behalf of anyone with HIF Hospital cover who is a permanent state or territory resident. Residents of NSW or the ACT with HIF Hospital cover simply submit their emergency ambulance invoice (from their resident state or territory emergency ambulance service) to us and we’ll finalise the invoice with the relevant service provider).” As such, I can confirm that ambulance cover hasn’t been specifically removed from your new Bronze Plus Starter Hospital cover, because it was never included on any HIF Hospital Cover options to start with. Instead, HIF Members in NSW & ACT automatically qualify for ambulance benefits in accordance with their state/territory laws, which we adhere to at all times. I hope this helps to ease your concerns Ants, but if you’d like to discuss this further I’d be happy to put you in touch with our Member Experience Manager. To request a call-back, please email your membership details to me on social@hif.com.au. Best regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Team Leader)I'm aware that I was covered for Emergency ambulance only on my Goldstarter policy. This was confirmed as included by HIF when I took up the policy and it's also listed on the PHI Standard info sheet. You state that emergency ambulance is still available on all your hospital covers (under state legislation) but on your website just the EXTRA's policies have this listed available. Anyone looking at your Hospital cover will think they need to consider taking up an Extra's policy to be covered for emergency ambulance. Must be some sort of Marketing ploy which really is quite deceptive. Yes, you lay out the facts on page .....15, thanks for making the process of comparing your policies transparent.I’m really sorry that you feel we’re not being transparent with our Hospital Covers, Ants. That certainly wasn’t our intention. Please rest assured that we’ve taken your feedback onboard though; and to resolve any future concerns about this, I’ve just added a whole new section on ambulance entitlements below our Hospital Cover comparison table here: www.hif.com.au/hospital Thanks again for your input on this Ants, and please remember that you can always email me direct on social@hif.com.au if you ever have other questions or need assistance in the future. Best regards, Kelsey.

HIF rocks ! Especially Carly !

Spoke to Carly regarding claiming online as the app wasnt playing ball.
She has gone above and beyond exceeding expectations after I have had issues with my card at my naturopath visits.
This lady is truly an asset to your awesome company. I wish I switched from HBF a lot earlier.
Thank you !!!!

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hello Rachel, Nikki here, Carly's Manager. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this fantastic feedback! Carly is indeed an asset to HIF, and it's terrific to hear that sentiment echoed from a Member's perspective. Rachel, I'm delighted to hear that you've had a great experience with HIF so far! If our team can ever be of further assistance, now or in the future, please don't hesitate to email us on social@hif.com.au. Thanks and warm regards, Nikki Atack.

Ok, but the quality is going down year after year

Hi, Been with HIF for a few years now (I think close to about 6+ years), and didnt have any real issues.. While hospital cover was good, the extras was not. Anyway, kept increasing the premiums, so decided to shift to another provider who was cheaper with better coverage! Feel the service and coverage is going down.. they started discontinuing a few products and the service is not as good as it used to be.

I will be shifting shortly.. HIF - life your game or you will start loosing customers (like me, for example, who have been with you and loyal..)..

Cheers.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Hi LPE, Thank you for providing this feedback. We pride ourselves on delivery high quality Member service, so I’m sorry to hear that we’ve let you down on this occasion. I’d love to investigate this further and try and make this right for you; so if you’d be comfortable having a chat by phone or email, please send your membership details to social@hif.com.au and I’ll personally follow this up for you. Warmest regards Carly Stewart (Digital Marketing Consultant)

Unexplained rise for pregnancy cover

We took this cover two years ago as we were planning for a future pregnancy and were aware of the 12 month wait. We looked online until we found the HIF Goldsaver cover, which was perfect and good value if all you wanted was pregnancy and none of the other medical policies that you never end up using.
We got a letter from HIF yesterday advising that under new government laws, our current cover will be terminated and in order to keep our pregnancy policy, we had to swap to a Gold hospital cover, which is $500 more a year!!!!!
This raise is unreasonable and completely unjustified, and because all pregnancy covers require a 12 month wait, we cannot swap provider and are stuck with HIF. Once the pregnacy is carried out, we will be swapping health insurance, if not getting rid of it completely. Very unhappy with HIF, I do not recommend it.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Coverage TypeCouple
Claim MadeNo
Hi Fifi, I’m really sorry you feel that way but we do appreciate your feedback, and hopefully I can help to provide more context around our policy changes and premium increase. I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience we've caused you by terminating our GoldSaver Hospital policy from April 1. Extensive analysis determined that it was necessary to do so though, as claims on GoldSaver were significantly exceeding the premiums charged, so our other Members were having to subsidise those claims through their own premiums. To make this cover viable, the premium increase would've been so significant that we didn’t believe it would be fair to affected Members, as it would essentially become the same price as the next level of cover up anyway (but with less inclusions). In itself though, the next level up - Gold Hospital - is one of the best priced cover options in the market right now. It covers every single clinical category on a shared-room basis (plus thousands of other treatments too - essentially anything that has a Medicare item number attached) and there's always the option to pay a small fee to the hospital to upgrade to a private room at any time. For maternity stays though, Gold Hospital covers five nights in a private room as standard (on GoldSaver it was three nights). We also win Canstar awards every year for Gold Hospital, which hopefully reiterates why it may still be a great option for you to consider. Oh, and the excess on Gold Hospital is also optional – so you can choose to apply a $400, $200 or $100 excess to reduce your premium, or opt for no excess instead. If you do apply an excess to Gold Hospital, it’s once payable once per-person per-year and only on overnight admissions, whereas on GoldSaver it was payable on day stays too. In terms of waiting periods, please rest assured as you’ve already served your waiting period for maternity this would certainly be recognised by other health insurers if you did want to switch and if you’re currently pregnant this would still be covered on your current HIF policy without you having to upgrade. For your peace of mind though, I'd like to arrange for a Consultant from our Member Services Team to contact you to confirm everything you need to know over the phone. With this in mind, please can you confirm your Member number, contact details and a convenient time to talk and I’ll ensure they get in touch. I hope this helps to ease your concerns anyway Fifi, but please don’t hesitate to get in touch if I can be of further assistance. You can contact me anytime on social@hif.com.au Kind regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Team Leader)

A joke - be warned!

Just over 2 years, nothing like it was presented, the result of a couple of claims was dismal beware of this scamming mob

Insurance claim madeYes
Hello Sam, Thank you for providing this feedback and please accept my sincerest apologies any disappointment caused. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service, so this is certainly not how we want our members to feel. If I may, I'd like to investigate your recent interactions further. Please can you email your HIF member number to social@hif.com.au, so I can review your membership in detail and escalate this to our Member Services Manager for review as soon as possible? Warm regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Team Leader)

Great cover

I signed up to HIF as it was the cheapest option with maternity cover. My hospital cover only included a 3 night stay and I ended up staying 5 nights. I knew I would need to pay a fee for those days and was pleasantly surprised at how low the fee was.
They covered all other aspects of my admission including my elective c-sections costs, and I only had to pay an excess twice, despite being admitted to hospital several times during my pregnancy.
Customer service was also great when I had questions prior to signing up.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Cass, Thank you for this fantastic feedback, we're so glad to hear you've had a great experience with HIF. We really appreciate you taking the time to share this review. If you ever have queries or need assistance with your HIF policy in the future, please don't hesitate to chat with me directly. You can email me any time on social@hif.com.au. In the meantime, congratulations you on the birth of your baby and we hope you're enjoying this magical time together. :) Many thanks, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant)

Was amazing... unitill they took $800 out of my account

Deeply unstatisfyed at the moment, I change my level of cover to a lower grade, which was supposed to be $230ish a month... which was changed a month ago.. yesterday they took out $800 of my account!! After calling them because my account is now overdrawn because no one has a spare $800 laying around, they couldn’t give it back to me straight and way.. because of as they said “business” even though it was their fault! So now I’m over drawn, my husband couldn’t even put petrol in his car, and they have said it could still take 4-5 days to get it back... so I can’t buy my children food. I’m so furious at their lack of accountability when they were in the wrong and they can’t give MY money back which effectively I feel they like I have been robbed.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hello Jessika, Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, although it’s certainly disappointing to read. Please rest assured we take feedback like this very seriously and apologise profusely for any distress this has caused you and your family. I believe you’ve just spoken to my colleague Ali, who has issued your refund and also corrected any discrepancies. I’ve also raised this with our Member Services Manager for review to ensure the appropriate staff training is in place. In the meantime, if there’s anything else I can do to assist please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on social@hif.com.au. Warm regards, Molly Kelly (Digital Marketing Team Leader)

Great service HIF

As a new member with HIF the customer service has been fantastic. A big thank you to Chad and David for sorting out the problem with our previous provider nib. 10 out of 10 for sevice. Thankyou

May 6th 2018 Update: excellent service

the policy was great value very easy to set up excellent customer support. very friendly and informative staff. I would recommend hif 100% to anyone looking for a private health fund.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hello Carlene, Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful feedback! I will ensure a copy is passed on to Chad and David in a moment, and also to their managers for commendation. If you ever have membership queries or need assistance in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch. You can contact me any time on social@hif.com.au. Kindest regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Coordinator)

Great Service

Back in January this year, we received an ambulance bill, for one of the kids, I was panicking about how we would pay this amount and my partner suggested contacting HIF to see if it was covered and it was!! Such a big relief, process was explained, forms posted to us, very straight forward process. Very pleased and am happy to be supporting a WA NFP business.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful review. I’m very sorry to hear that one of your children needed an ambulance though – I hope they’re ok now. I will share your feedback with our Member Services Manager and our Claims Team as I’m sure they will be thrilled to read this too. In the meantime, if you ever have membership queries or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to email me direct. You can reach me any time on social@hif.com.au Warmest regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant).

The opposite of customer care or service

After 5 years of paying for maternity cover, we were blessed with my son. We paid everything up front and after waiting 5 months for refunds of over $1,200 - were told that the Medicare client report we received was not sufficient proof that we had made the payments and we needed an additional report sent by Medicare directly to HIF. So I had to queue in the Medicare/Centrelink line for over 2 hours with a 5 month old baby to be told that HIF had been sent the information and they were unable to physically print it or send it to me because it was internal hospital coding - already sent to HIF.
I tell HIF, they tell me Medicare is wrong. I queue again at Medicare for over an hour to be told the same thing. Finally, after 10 calls, in December HIF processes my refund. No apology, no compensation. I provide them with some feedback to prevent another mum from suffering the same fate. Over one year later I get a call from a claims supervisor who lies and says he called me in December last year - funnily enough my voicemail and Telstra records can prove otherwise. He makes no apology and accuses me of causing a problem - preventing the refund when I physically had nothing to do with the communications between Medicare and HIF. What a way to treat a new mother. Just what you need when you are already sleep deprived and exhausted. I should have stayed with HBF.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi there, Thank you for sharing this review today and please accept my sincerest apologies for any frustration caused on this occasion. Care is one of our core values, so this is certainly not how we want our loyal Members to feel. I'd really like to investigate the interaction you mentioned here, so please can you email your HIF member number to me on social@hif.com.au. Once I have your Membership details I can then escalate this to our Member Services Manager for immediate review and follow up. In the meantime, congratulations on the birth of your son! And if you ever need to discuss your policy in the future, you're always welcome to email me direct on the address above. Thanks and best wishes, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant)

Horrible, never again

I had 2 medical problems. First, something in my head that I needed a GP, they couldn't give me an appointment for before than 1 week, I couldn't wait and they didn't pay me nothing for the other GP. The second time I went to emergency hospital because of a cut in my leg, 12 stitches, and they didn't cover me any 1 dollar from de 1200 that I had to pay. Never again

Insurance claim madeYes
Hello Hector, Thank you for providing this feedback and please accept my apologies for your experience so far, this is certainly not how we want our members to feel. I'd like to investigate this further if I may, so please email your member number to social@hif.com.au and I'll review your membership immediately. In the meantime, it's important to note that unless you hold one of our Overseas Visitors Cover policies which specifically include benefits for outpatient services, we're legally unable to pay benefits on outpatient services like GP visits and emergency department treatment, as those are solely covered by Medicare for Australian citizens and permanent residents (this is the same rule for all health fund members on domestic private hospital insurance policies). I hope that helps? Thanks and kind regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digtial Marketing Consultant)

Premium increase too much this time...

We have been with HIF for some time and have just received advice of the premium increase on April 1st and HIF is the highest I have seen at 10.5% which smacks in the face of Government advice that the average would be 3.5%. Going to be searching for another provider to switch to.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Alfie, thanks for getting in touch. I’m really sorry to hear you feel that way but we do appreciate your feedback, and hopefully I can help to provide more context around our premium increase. In terms of this year's premium increase, the industry weighted average across all health funds is indeed 3.95%. However it is important to note, that this figure is just that – an average. Each product is priced individually depending on the increasing health care costs associated with that product in each state or territory. For that reason, some of our premium increases are more depending on the health care costs associated with the particular product or location. Additionally, the Federal Government have again reduced the rebate you receive off the price of your policy – regrettably, this erosion is driven by the Government and is not a decision implemented by HIF. We completely understand that private health insurance is an affordability decision for many Australians though; however, as a not-for-profit organisation it’s also crucial that we can always pay our Members’ claims so that they can get the best care when it’s needed. For example, in our 2016/2017 annual report (which you can view here - www.hif.com.au/about-us/annual-report) you’ll see that we paid out 92 cents in claims for every dollar we received in premiums, compared to the industry average of 86 cents. In fact, in some states on the East Coast, we’ve actually been paying out more in hospital claims than we’ve been receiving in hospital insurance premiums. That’s why, if you compare HIF against other health funds, I'm confident that your post-April premium will still be very competitive in the market. So, although it may not feel like it right now, please rest assured we are doing our very best to keep a tight lid on your premiums as far as the healthcare sector will allow. Alfie, if you’d like to enjoy rate protection this year though, you can also lock in your current premium for up to 12 months by pre-paying before April 1, plus you’ll receive a bonus 4% saving by doing so (or 2% for six-monthly payments). To make a payment, you can call us Monday to Friday on 1300 13 40 60 or alternatively, I’d be more than happy to arrange a call-back for you at a time convenient to you. I hope this helps to ease some of your concerns anyway, but if you’d like to discuss any of this in more detail, please let me know and I’ll arrange for one of our product experts to get in touch. Kind regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant)Thankyou for the reply. Unfortunately for pensioners paying a year in advance is very difficult as are constant rate increases, hence they will depend more and more on the public health system. Also there are very few plans which specifically suit older age people and which include items that they do not need - like IVF, maternity, private room for childbirth, even gastric banding, etc. I would suggest that funds need to look at providing plans which can be specifically tailored via options for aged people rather than ones where "one size fits all".Hi Alife, You’ll be pleased to hear that we have indeed introduced a new product that excludes the services listed above. This is our “No Maternity Hospital with Mid Extras Combo” product and it's now available to switch to. We’re currently integrating this onto our website, but if you’d like to email your contact details to me directly on social@hif.com.au, I can arrange for one of our product experts to get in touch to discuss this level of cover in more detail over the telephone or via email – whichever you would prefer. In the meantime, here's a link to our product page with more information: www.hif.com.au/health-insurance/combined-cover Many thanks, Kelsey

Perfect service. Couldn't be more helpful.

Wanted to share my recent experience with HIF. I was a bit shocked at the size of an ambulance bill. HIF took care of it within a day! They were efficient and helpful. Matt from claims was exceptional dealing with my claim in a timely manner. I signed the claims form, sent it in and didn't have to pay a cent. This really highlights to me the value of my Special Options cover with HIF and I was simply delighted with the service. In what otherwise could have been a very stressful time, HIF were happy to answer my questions and alleviate my worries immediately as well as take care of the bill as soon as I sent it in. This I why I am with HIF and feel confident working with them. Thank you guys. :)

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Sarah, Thank you so much for taking the time to share this fantastic feedback, it’s wonderful to hear you’ve had such a positive claiming experience with HIF. I will share your review with our Member Services Manager and our Claims Team as I’m sure they will be thrilled to read this too. In the meantime, if you ever have membership queries or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to email me direct. You can reach me any time on social@hif.com.au Warmest regards, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant).

Refusal of Cover for alleged Pre-existing ailment

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow- I was given the go ahead by HIF. I later receive a call from the hospital saying I cannot have my surgery because I have a pre-existing condition and am only covered from July 17. My surgery is not pre-existing and has occurred due to sudden developments. I am furious and extremely distressed by this turn of events. My case is being reviewed and with some common sense I can go ahead for surgery tomorrow. If not - a thunderstorm of action is going to rain down upon HIF.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Tammy, Thanks for getting in touch, and please accept my sincerest apologies for any distress or confusion caused on this occasion. I’ve just spoken to our Member Experience Team and they’ve informed me that my colleague, Ali has been in touch with you to confirm that your upcoming surgery can indeed go ahead as planned. I hope that helps to ease your concerns, but if I can be of any further assistance or if you require any further clarification please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on social@hif.com.au. Thanks again Tammy and the very best of luck with your surgery. Warm regards, Molly Kelly Digital Marketing Team LeaderHi Tammy, Molly here again. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave an updated review on Facebook, we were thrilled to read such wonderful comments. I’ve just sent you a reply, which you can view here - https://www.facebook.com/hifaustralia/posts/1662888400447031 And don't forget we're always here to help. So please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the email address above if I can be of any assistance in the future. Best wishes, Molly

One of the cheaper covers

I only needed health insurance for tax purposes and so signed up for this one. It was the best value from what I can tell, and there was a $50 off coupon online for it too. I don't plan on claiming on anything so if you want what is called a "junk cover", this is a good option.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi P, Thanks for your review and welcome to HIF! I’m delighted to hear that you’ve joined us and I’m glad we could help you save tax. It’s also great to hear that you found HIF to be the best value around. :) P, while I understand that your reference to ‘junk cover’ most likely regards the recent media reports about some of the basic cover options available on the market, I just wanted to assure you that even our lowest level of Hospital Cover includes heaps of commonly used services like tonsillectomies, hernia repairs, wisdom teeth surgery, joint reconstructions and accidental injuries to name just a few. A full comparison can be found on our website here in case it’s helpful: www.hif.com.au/hospital In the meantime, I hope you enjoy being an HIF member and I’m always here to chat if you ever need assistance or have questions about your membership. You can email me any time on social@hif.com.au Warm regards, Kelsey Donnelly (HIF Digital Marketing Consultant)

Could not be happier!

We are delighted with the level of offerings, service and support that HIF gave before, during and after my husband's double knee replacement. So much better than our previous insurer.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hello KBorgelt, Thank you for taking the time to share this terrific feedback! I'm delighted to hear that HIF was able to help you get your husband back on his feet following his surgery, I hope he's recovering well now. If I can ever be of assistance in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch. You can email me any time on social@hif.com.au. Thanks and best wishes, Kelsey Donnelly (Digital Marketing Consultant)

Very Diasppointing

Switched to HIF Gold cover 3 yrs ago, was going to be $3500.00 out of pocket for husbands sinus surgery so decided to go public, wait time 3 months and no cost. Not one of 9 surgeons contacted participated in hif gap scheme and yet their premiums have gone up substantially since joining, will be switching. Very disappointed

Insurance claim madeNo
Hello Dianne, I’m really sorry to hear this feedback and please accept my sincerest apologies for any disappointment caused. If I may, would it be possible for one of my colleagues to get in touch to discuss this further? HIF members have access to 30,454 doctors and specialists practising in 111,322 locations around Australia who have agreed to participate in AccessGap, so it would be great to obtain a little more information. It’s also important to note Dianne, that medical providers can charge whatever they like for their services. However Health insurers, are only permitted to pay a benefit based on the Government’s Medicare Benefit Schedule (MBS) - this is a schedule of fees set by the government for standard medical services which determines the amounts that Medicare define to be a fair charge by a doctor or specialist. Whilst our AccessGap arrangement is designed to minimise or eliminate out of pocket expenses; I’m afraid surgeons can nominate to opt in or out depending on the patient they’re treating. For this reason, we also have a “Find an AccessGap Doctor or Specialist” page on our website (https://www.hif.com.au/health-insurance/useful-links/find-a-no-gap-specialist), which is there to inform our members of doctors who have previously participated or have indicated their intention to participate in Access Gap Cover, as well as those who have agreed to alternative no gap arrangements. With regards to premium increases, I do understand your disappointment. I’m afraid it’s a necessitiy for all health funds to do each year though in order to address rising health related expenses such as increased doctor charges, advanced medical technologies, increases in member claims frequency, and more. For example, in 2016/17, 93.7 cents of every dollar we received in member premiums went straight back out in claims benefits, compared to the industry average across health funds of 86 cents. So, although it may not feel like it right now, please rest assured, we are doing our very best to keep a tight lid on our members’ premiums. Since 2010, we’ve also implemented some of the lowest total average premium increases, so although it may seem like they've increased substantially, it’s important to remember that this is coming off a smaller base in dollar terms. I do hope you decide to stay with HIF, Dianne, but if you have any more questions or feedback, or if there's anything I can do to ease your concerns further, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can email me on social@hif.com.au and I’ll be more than happy to assist. In the meantime, I hope your husband has a speedy recovery. Kind regards, Molly Kelly (HIF Digital Marketing Team Leader)