Honda HRU196

See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used: Weekly

Ron G

Ron GSydney, NSW

My go to

Used daily and its my go to every time. Best lawnmower Ive had and would buy it again and again. Great on all terrain, dry and wet, and never let me down so far. Good on fuel. Catcher could be a little bigger but not a big enough issue to bother me.

Purchased in March 2017 for $800.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used: Daily

Long lasting and easy start, as expected from Honda Mowers

Date PurchasedJul 2008

Mower is good, catcher is crap.

The catcher is bad enough to put you into a fit of rage. Won't throw all the way to the back, only ever half fills, even after cleaning the screen.
Love the mower, hate the catcher. My advice would be to spend the extra for the next model, or look at another brand.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Tim

Tim

Runs like a dream.

This was a replacement for my 32 year old Suzuki Two Stroke. Another legendary mower but the Honda starts first time everytime. I use the mulching plug so that I dont need the catcher. Its so good that I almost enjoy mowing which I never did with the old mower. A fantastic product

Date PurchasedNov 2016

dan

danDeniliquin

Love this mower

I have had this mower 4 years, its been good to use. It starts fast time its never let me down and its always been easy to start. Its never run out of fuel because it takes a lot of fuel I can mow a big lawn with it easy.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Chris

ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bought mine 10 years ago. No problems !!

The Honda 196P Push Petrol Lawn Mower is one of the best heavy duty lawn mowers in the market. Built to mow in the toughest of conditions, features the 4 stroke OHV GXV160 engine and guarantees to start the first time. Ideal for medium and large lawns as well as for serious contractors.

Weighing in at 34 kg, this Honda Lawn Mower offers a 19-inch cutting width and 163cc.

Date PurchasedJan 2008

Paul D

Paul DBrisbane

Bad mower. Doesn't cut. Doesn't catch.

Worst decision in a long time. Thought I'd buy a premium mower at more than $1100. Only thing good is that it starts easy. I upgraded to 4 blades from 2 and still does not pick up the grass, just blocks the tiny shut for anything more than the smallest cut..... even in the dry! Very heavy for a push mower. I am so frustrated with the mower that I now mow/mulch and then hand rake up the grass!!!! I was told the motor is commercial grade, maybe it will last, however, it is not powerful and when the grass is thick the safety blade brake starts to slip!!! Once it has started to slip it generates heat from the friction and slips even more!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Bob T

Bob TTarneit

Great mower

Upgraded from an old Rover, this thing is amazing, starts so easy, makes light work of my tough buffalo, only con is the arm folding feature, very difficult to Fold for storage. I highly recommend this product, great safety features too. I like the simplicity, no choke, no primer, just pull the chord and away you go, well done Honda!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Big Red

Big RedMelbourne

As a professional, there is only one choice. Honda

kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016

happy campersbrisbane

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU

This Honda mower is the best mower I have ever owned, heaps of power and so quite, the mower cuts very clean and fills the catcher full as a googe even wet grass packs in tight, the Honda is so easy to clean by putting the hose in the deck hole, starts first time every time, well done Honda.

Date PurchasedAug 2010

Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

HONDA HRU 196 HAD LOTS OF HARD WORK BUT AS NEVER LET ME DOWN.... VERY GOOD MACHINE

Date PurchasedMay 2004
gardener george

gardener georgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Like the old but better

The 19 inch special edition heritage is a very good mower, I've reviewed my five year old previous modal with the fabric catcher and half shute in product review. This newer modal that I've had a year has the old style plastic catcher, full shute width, engine braking, you can mow the lawn a notch shorter with the same ease and its lighter, same reliability, it makes a difference in effort required compared to the other honda, you'll be lucky to find the heritage as it's a special edition, but it's a good improvement.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

I regret my purchase decision

This is my third Honda lawnmower.
Every mower has got progressively worse.
Current one won't start and has always been difficult to start. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a Honda HRU150 in good condition. This is the one that Honda established its reputation on and has not been able to produce one as user friendly or reliable since.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Brad

BradNewcastle

High Quality Engine. Superb finish to lawn, when it works.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

First time I have purchased a Honda Lawn mower and I am very disappointed.

Same as other reviews, the shoot continually blocks and doesn't pick up the grass clippings. I mow my lawn every 2 weeks when its is dry, and it is still a burden. It also seems to be under powered and I have returned mower to dealer in Bunbury W.A. regularly complaining of low throttle speed, as I thought that this was the reason for grass blockage, nothing has improved. Also my clothes continually get caught on the protruding throttle cable guide. Very disappointed. It is no longer a pleasure to mow my lawn.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

NotAHappyCustomer

NotAHappyCustomerAU

Great mower

Very, very happy with this mower. It cuts well, feels solidly built and is easy to use.

The downside: there was a small production run of engines which had faulty throttles. Mine was unfortunately one of those, and it took a couple of trips back to the retailer (Haughton Honda, in Adelaide) to get it fixed. But since then it's been flawless and is a pleasure to use.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Juzz

JuzzAU

Terrible product - with narrow Shute !

Date PurchasedJun 2015

WryCuda

WryCudaasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Bought this mower from a friend about 3 years ago; he couldn't remember how long he'd had it. Anyone know how old it's likely to be?

Mower needed a service when I took it home: Blocked air filter, worn blades, black oil, spark plug only finger tight, dirty carb.

Has been going well and I've only had to service the recoil starter since the initial intensive care. Recoil interior was dirty, but easy enough to clean. I think that I might need a new cord and spring some day. Parts available or should I buy a complete recoil assembly?

-Bob

Barrie T

Barrie Tasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I have recently purchased a HRU196M1 (blade brake)mulch & cut mower it has the standard 2 blades and blade plate with multiple holes in it ,i would like to put 4 blades on it .Do i have to replace the plate & blades(4 set) or just the blades & will the motor handle it in its standard tune.?thanks in advance.

Groovy
Groovy

Mine has 4 blades. Am quite confident that you will be able to simply add another 2 blades to the existing holes in the plate that is currently on there. Cheers.

Paul

Paulasked

My HRU196M1 sometime doesn't stop when I push the throttle lever all the way to the top STOP position. When this happens, I have to force the lever to the right whilst pushing up the lever. Can you let me know what is the problem and how can I fix this myself?
Paul

happy campers

Mine did the same, adjust your throttle cable or might just need a spray with some lube.

Stanley P
Stanley P

Throttle cables stretch a little with use over time. To alleviate this problem you need to adjust the throttle cable to remove the slack.
WD40 may also be useful to allow the cable to move better inside the sheath containing it, but just a little, not much is needed!

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196K1

Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
BrandHonda
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore