Honda HRU196
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

Starts with little effort
Cuts grass cleanly
Blade brake system works well

Cons

Heavy

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

Master
MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.

First time I have purchased a Honda Lawn mower and I am very disappointed.

Same as other reviews, the shoot continually blocks and doesn't pick up the grass clippings. I mow my lawn every 2 weeks when its is dry, and it is still a burden. It also seems to be under powered and I have returned mower to dealer in Bunbury W.A. regularly complaining of low throttle speed, as I thought that this was the reason for grass blockage, nothing has improved. Also my clothes continually get caught on the protruding throttle cable guide. Very disappointed. It is no longer a pleasure to mow my lawn.

Date Purchased
Michael S.
Michael S.Sydney, NSW

Best value for money

I have a lawn and garden care business,

brought 2 of these mowers and have changed the oil 1 time in the space of 3 years.

Still running like brand new

Purchased for $1,100.

Great reliable lawn mower

I’ve owned this mower from new for about 15 years & it is excellent. Starts easily, the totally reliable very powerful & can’t fault it. Honda are pure quality & well worth the money.

Purchased for $700.

Peter
PeterDarwin, NT

A good mower after a couple of modifications.

I had similar issues as others I have had with the poor quality of catching grass, but I did the following which improved the mowers performance. 1) I had the dealer lift the revs by about 10% after warranty expired. 2) I am in Darwin where there is a wet and dry season and only use a wet weather Dacron bag in the wet season as it has no plastic bottom or top cover and the flow of air through the catcher helped pick up wet grass. 3) Make sure that 4 Hi Lift blades in good condition are installed. All the above fixed my issues so I am okay with using this mower now.

Purchased in at The Big Mower for $1,100.

Theplug
TheplugDarling Downs, QLD

Pile of crap

It's a utter complete crap mower the throttle keeps slipping the handle bars were twisted, I rang the dealership up they said that there will be someone up hmmm..still waiting

Purchased in at Dores power equipment for $1.20.

B . LAW
B . LAWSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just too Heavy, FALSE ADVERTISING by Honda.....Lightweight to push...…Yeh right.

Purchased in for $1,300.

perfect for me

It's a bit heavy for me as a senior citizen so I can't lift it into my ute therefore have to do all maintenance and work myself. I learned quickly and it's pretty simple. West Coast, South Island, NZ where the rough wet land is a challenge. Not so for the 196, I love it. Used weekly in summer and on dry days in winter so it gets a lot of use. I can not fault it. Thanks Honda, the best mower ever for me. Hint: Do not lend it to anyone!! They don't want to give it back.

Purchased in .

Master
MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
Christmas Gift Ideas for Mum

Avleen M.
Avleen M.
christmas-gift-ideas-for-mum
Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
John
John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Mark W.
Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in for $1,300.

Steph C
Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

Azat
AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in at Kingston mowers for $1,055.

Paul R.
Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in for $1,050.

John Geo
John GeoGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Piece of overweight Junk

Purchased in for $999.

PaulB
PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in for $1,100.

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Purchased in at All Mower Spares for $1,200.

Frank D.

John & Johno

Steve S.
Steve S.asked
HRU196

My HRU196 starts runs for about 20 seconds ,starts posing and running rough and then cuts out.
have taken the carry off and cleaned the main jet ect and tried again . It started straight away firs pull and then starts then it begins running rough and cuts out.Could the spark plug be breaking down ?

mike
mikeasked
HRU196

My hur 196 classic has become hard to start . I have replaced spark plug and has new air filter but still takes many pulls on choke to start - has any one got any helpful tips?

Honda HRU196

Features:

• The Honda HRU196 Push Mowers have 4-stroke technology, giving them the power and torque to tackle medium to large lawns.
  • They have cast iron bore engines that are made to last, and a swing back blade cutting system that gives your mowing a professional finish.
  • The HRU196’s blade brake has technology that stops the blades within 3 seconds of you releasing the mower’s handle while the engine continues running. This lets you leave your mower safely running while you remove any obstacles in your path, empty the catcher, or take a breather - all without the need to restart the engine.
  • A rear safety shield gives extra user protection from flying grass and debris.
  • The mower has a full open discharge and a large catcher, meaning less time spent unclogging the chute.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that this mower started easily on the first pull or second.
  • Reviewers also appreciated that the mower gave a clean cut in a variety of weather conditions, whether it was wet, dry, or dusty.
  • They also said that the blade brake system works well for those who need to regularly move obstacles or take a quick break, which made mowing a lot easier without needing to continuously restart the engine.

A point of pain:

• Many reviewers found that this mower was too heavy for their liking, saying that it was difficult to push around, particularly if they were covering a large area. A few users said that this weight created significant tracks when mowing damp ground, resulting in an unsightly lawn.
Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda