See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Bluey

BlueySouth East Queensland, QLD

Very disappointed

After buying and using this model for 12 years the 2019 model is inefficient ,heavy and slow and complicated to use.It now rescinded in my shed . I still use my older models !

Purchased in May 2019 for $1,600.00.

Product is used: Daily

Worst mower I've ever used.

Purchased in November 2016 for $729.00.

lorenzo98

lorenzo98Sydney, NSW

Wished I knew about product review before I bought this rubbish .

Purchased in November 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $899.00.

Cowboyfan

CowboyfanCentral Queensland, QLD

Average mower

Purchased in September 2018 at Honda Dealers for $899.00.

S.hayden

S.haydenWestern District, VIC

Love it

Great mower easy to use recommend to any one in the hunt for a new mower.
Easy to start and comes with a great price tag. Look no further than a honda.

Purchased in January 2019.

Quality

I have used honda self prepelled mowers for 22 years and always been very happy with the product untill their latest model it is under powered struggles through long thick grass cuts very poorly the wheels spin so you have to push it just a very poor mower all round very dissapointed honda should be ashamed of their product

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Piece of crap

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Grahame W

Grahame WRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Great mower

In 50 years if mowing i have just bought this self propelled HRR216VYUA. It is very user friendly. I only use the mulching setting and mainly on very thick buffalo grass. It cuts beautifully and I find it very easy to control and does cut backwards so I'm surprised to read so many complaints. Plenty of power and speed is very fast also. It even pulls me up slopping ground.
Highly recommend.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Tony

TonyHeritage Park 4118 QLD

I enjoy doing my lawn now.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Albany Nomads

Albany Nomads

Bad choice

Bought a Honda thinking this would be my final mower, it was a pile of rubbish, after half an hour took it back and got my money back,
At the lowest cutting setting it barely makes a dent in my lawn, was told they are set up for American cutting conditions... well this is Australia. I can say I owned a Honda for 30 minutes. Pile of rubbish, what good is a mower if it won’t lower low enough to cut your lawn

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Honda Was a Poor Choice!

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Jody

JodyRockhampton Australia

Don't buy not worth the over priced price tsg

Don't buy Honda. brought my new honda mower as I was over 2stroke mowers and family members raving about honda.first time I used my self propelled I couldn't pull it backwards and it kept stalling in 3inch tall grass. Went back to the store and they said I must be pushing it too fast (its self propelled) so Itried to slow down the speed nope still stalls. Then this week I hit something hard in the lawn and bent the crank shaft . The auto blade shut off doesn't work when you run over something. Thanks honda for making such rubbish mowers .never buy this mower

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Very poorly made mower.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

RussellTownsville

Wast Of Money

Honda used to be good that is why I bought one,wrong!!!! This thing is a piece of garbage ,wasted my money.Cant pull it backwards and has been the same since new.Been back to the dealer three times and it ended up being my fault apparently,gets grass under the drive that causes the problem.Hello it is a mower and I cant be held responsible for crappy engineering !!!!!!!! These things are lemons ,waish i could get my money back and buy something decent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Russell

The only way to fix the "not being able to pull back syndrome" is to remove the drive and replace the nylon bushes. They dry out and bind up.Had to fix it myself,the dealer couldn't
Look on YouTube it explains it all on there !!!!!!!.

BobC

BobCCentral West, NSW

A breeze to use!

If you are sick of pulling the handle and pushing through thick grass then this is the mower for you. It is so easy to start and glides easily through the thickest of lawns. The catcher is simple to empty and I find the mower very reliable. The first major service was expensive but worth the effort. It is very dependable.

BJM

BJMAdelaide

Shockingly-Terrible-Back Breaking-Don't Buy.

Purchased in May2017. As a gardener, I wanted to replace my Rover and thought I'd choose a top of the line Honda. What a mistake. This thing is so heavy to push, the self propelling system just doesn't work (even when catcher is empty) and doesn't pull backwards (repaired twice already). The catcher has a stupid lip for it to hang off which fill with clippings so you have to clean it out regularly with your nail. The wheels are worn out after about 40hours usage! Doesn't like to start after being on a dirt road (trailered) for one km. Should I continue???? Just so poor. Do not waste you money.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Russ

RussAU

Back breaking self drive system

Mulched really well, thought I would never use catcher again, starts easily. That's all the good stuff. The self propelled system is a cheaper version of the commercial series and is really hard to pull backwards, had mine in to be repaired as Honda sent out an update but came back no better. You can't adjust the drive speed unless you don't push the drive all the way and make to belt slip. Returned it to Bunnings for refund. Wish I had read the reviews on here, would have saved time and money.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

macca

maccacrystal waters

Not as good as the old type

Pretty poor. I live 1 hr form the place where I purchased the mower. It is very challenging to fix even simple things like the belt which keeps coming off.
Mine has done very few hrs and it drives me mad. Have to see if i can get the old one going again.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

GrumpySmurf

GrumpySmurfasked

I'm surprised at so many bad reviews on this mower. I was just about to get one.

So if this is no good, can some one recommend a self propelled mower for residential use that is great? Not looking to spend much. I will need it to catch well as there are weeds.

Pineman
Pineman

Hello Mr. Smurf. I still use an HRR216 in my landscape maintenance business and have learned a few things that seem to help it perform adequately. But first of all, it is a little smaller than the HRX217's I normally use (great machines!) so it fits into some of the small townhouse yards we need to mow. The motor starts and runs just as well as other Honda models, which is a plus, not having to spend much time trying to get it started and running well and there's enough power for any mowing job. The main complaint I have is the difficulty in pulling it backwards but I found a couple of things that help: make sure you are not pressing on the drive levers at all while pulling back as even a slight touch on these engages the forward drive. Also if it is sluggish or locked when pulling back, just give the drive levers a nudge forward which usually helps loosen up the drive wheels. It's usually still a bit of an effort pulling it backward but these little remedies seem to help most times. As for the other problems such as loosening wheel nuts, broken wheel bolts and tire wear, these are easily fixed and not overly expensive. So it's not the best mower Honda has ever made but with the ever-reliable Honda motor it's still one of the best I've found within the price range.

Ae Albert Leilua Pilia'e

Ae Albert Leilua Pilia'easked

I have no prob pulling this mower back- Im 6'4 280pounds..lol- but yeah weird how its hard to push when engine off?

Mick
Mick

Well l you like to help you but my mower is back at the dealer as after 4 weeks fixing it l still can not pull it backwards so it's gone back to the dealer again.

lilmac

lilmacasked

Have honda hrr216vka after a little while mowing I find that I cannot pull the mower backwards the wheels lock. I have removed wheels and cleaned the pawls but still cannot pull the mower in reverse. This is very frustrating as I have a lot of ground to cover and many obstacles which require that I pull the mower backwards to negotiate. What do I need to check next to be able to fix the problem?

STICKY52
STICKY52

Sorry to hear Lilmac, I see other people have had this same problem, but I never had it with my mower. Some returned their mower to a Honda dealer and have had it fixed, I think. Is it still under warranty, they have a two year warranty. I sold my HRR216 and have purchased another mower. It still had eight months warranty left on it. I just could not put up with its shortcomings.

marty
marty

I checked all the settings as per honda tech fix to no avail it still locks up back wheels at times mostly when everything has warmed up I think it is a design fault and basically cannot be fixed I have left mine at honda dealer in disgust!

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives