MPN: HRU216M2
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
craig mckay
craig mckayCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

No good in damp grass

When the grass is damp it clogs up the shoot all the time ,requiring you to remove clogged grass .
Has done about 40 hours work and smokes on start up .
wont go back to honda again.

Purchased for $1,500.00.

Dollar
DollarMid North Coast, NSW

Reliable commercial use

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Ferrett
FerrettCentral West, NSW

My Mowers better than yours

One thing I love to own is a great lawn mower.
Can’t go past Honda mine is not for commercial use this is my second only due to moving states and couldn’t take my other one. Starts first time every time I have it serviced regularly and love how it’s self mulching as I can’t lift the catcher so I don’t use it. This one’s going to outlast me I think. The only downside for me was price $1600 is pretty overwhelming but one the other hand it’s there for the long haul.

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Neil J
Neil JBrisbane

Great mower, pity about the service techs and mistruths that come with the mower

I have had a number of 216's over the past 11 years. They are a good mower, although I now do all my own repairs and that of my fellow contractors due to the poor knowledge of the service staff at selling/servicing dealers. Bent axles, broken gearboxes and low HP are all common problems with these mowers. In the latest generations, broken cables seem to be the new trend. This will be my last lot of HRU216's, I will be moving to a different brand. Warranties are often denied on broken parts, even when it's proven to be manufacturing faults. Sorry Honda, your day has passed.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216M2 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

LeSquid
LeSquidGoldfields, WA

Big and powerful, but not perfect for all applications

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Ashley
AshleyMerbein

Great Mower!!!!

I got sick of buying a cheap lawn mower every couple of years. This starts 2nd pull every time. Only down side is the weight of it. Its very heavy and makes it difficult lifting in and out of the back of the ute. Thats the only down side even has the water wash point to clean the deck without flipping it over.

PCJB
PCJBAustralia

One of the best things I own

This works a treat after 5 years and I expect it will keep going that way for another 5 at least. I purchased to mow our 1/2 acre block that has some sloping parts and it does it with ease. At first it seemed a bit heavy and clunky to use but it a short time I figured out when and how to use the self propelling feature to my advantage. I have it serviced once a year but it could easily be done by someone at home who has the time and inclination to do it. I have since purchased a small ride on to cut the mowing time down even more but there are still some areas that the Honda can only do so I cannot part with it.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

Clara V.
Clara V.21 Sept 2021
is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
Should I get a petrol or battery lawn mower?

Battery lawn mowers are advertised as having the power to rival that of their petrol counterparts - without the noise, hassle, and fumes. We compare the two to help you decide which type of push mower is right for your yard.

Clara V.
Clara V.13 Oct 2021
should-i-get-a-petrol-or-battery-lawn-mower
Salad
SaladSydney, NSW

This mower is a Tank and too heavy for parts to handle

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Paddy11
Paddy11Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great self-propelling mower

Great mower especially the self-propelling part for our steep block. Easy to use and once the initial throttle cable hiccup was sorted it starts on the first pull. Nice big catcher and great mulching function. On the heavy side weight wise but. Very solid build so it should last well.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Shannon
Shannon

Dream mower!

Heavy going without being too heavy this is fantastic to work with. Such an easy to use marvel that I'm mowing the lawns of less fortunate neighbours because it's just made so easy! Very easy to start and maintain, well worth the cost even on a pretty small surburban block.

Burga
BurgaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I miss my victa mower!

After 15 years, my victa finally packed and decided to call it quits. Against my better judgement, I bought this lawnmower as Honda is a reputable mower brand. My lawn gets chewed and then mowed. It's not a clean cut and a nuisance. I dearly miss my victa and regret not purchasing a victa mower.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Lily k
Lily k

Easy to use

The honda hru216 is easy to use and saw to use. It make relatively low noise and cut grass nicely. Since I bought the machine I begin to love cutting lawn. Overall it is a very good lawn machine and I really recommend to everyone who consider to buy it.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Max
Max

Good

Used it found it Cool. Good power strong equipment Would recommend to anyone. If it dies I would buy another Honda for sure
Maneuvering is easy and cutting results are excellent with this mower
About maintenance not much is required except the normal oil change routine and spark plug cleaning along with air filter cleaning

Date PurchasedMar 2016
King Disappopintment
King DisappopintmentTrafalgar

Disappointing

Firstly, I am a contractor. I usually buy the 19" Honda mower which is fantastic! When I bought the 21" self propelled, at first it seemed great! Unfortunately unless you mow your lawn twice a week it is useless both mulching or catching grass, and if its long and wet better to use scissors!! The small shute clogs up every 10m. A very disappointing mower and would not waste the money on one again! And don't start me on the cost of maintaining it with all the cables etc that break!

Date PurchasedMar 2015
nbc
nbcWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Domestic Use on a large lawn

A S.
A S.asked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

How many kg weight this machine

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Can you get someone to check their website for basics ?

kew
kewasked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

Just purchased one of these today. This is my first self propelled mower. It has three speeds. I asked at the shop as to whether changing the speeds could be done on the go. The shop said yes but the book is a little unclear but seems to say that one should release the clutch to change the speed. Any thoughts on that. Thanks in advance.

Chrisb81au
Chrisb81au

No it can't be changed on the go. You must disengage, change gear then re-engage

Papamike
Papamike

I was told to stop before changing gears, and to push off before engaging gear to increase the life of the gear box. I learned to be pleased with 2 to 3 years use out of a machine used commercially.

James

I have a Honda HRX217 which is self-propelled as well and I can easily change speed on the go. Doesn't seem to have any affect on the mower though I often do stop or at least slow down so i can be sure it has changed to the right speed. Not sure if its the same with the 216 though I would imagine it is

Dennis
Dennisasked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

Hi I have a Honda Buffalo Bull Mulch & Catch!! I am looking at the Self Propelled Pro series!! How much heavier are these Self Propelled ones compared to the One I have now (approx 3 yrs old in new condition and do the dealers over trade-ins on upgrading??And what is current prices etc
Tnx for reading my Msg
Dennis

James

Hey Dennis, now while I may not have one of these myself (yet.... getting one soon) my friend does and I have a mowing business which we often use his mower for. If when you say the self propelled pro series you mean the HRU216M2 (the top-of-the-top-of-the-range one) it is rather heavy (around 60kg from what I remember) but if you have a trailer or ramp it should be fine. It is self propelled as you know already so it is a dream come true for big yards and thick grass. Tried using my own push mower yesterday on foot-high grass and it was absolute torture. The HRU216M2 is incredibly powerful though and has a blade brake which is helpful. As for the price RRP is currently $1,750 but a few places have them at $1,449 so its expensive but well worth the price. Not sure about trade-ins it probably varies by dealer so maybe ask your local mower shop.
Hope this helps.