Honda HRX217

• Fuel Efficiency
Ttt

TttHunter Region, NSW

Won't do same mistake

Brought one and half year ago, already not starting, need to wait 3 weeks to check for repair Under warranty. Engine always stop when put on low level, suggest never buy it,only brand name ,poor service and quality.

IanTasmania

perfect lawn mower

recently purchased the Honda Lawn mower HRX217HYU to replace an older model, this mower is easy to use and very easy to start with the Honda quick start engine this model also has self propelled back wheels which makes mowing a larger area a breeze, simple to use controls it basically only has three controls one for the self propelled speed and the other is to select the power setting ie low or high, and the last one is to select mulching or collecting grass option, the only fiddle thing i find is the wheels all have there own hight selectors but once you find the right one for your lawn its easy as. great machine and very quite

Purchased in June 2020 for A$1,500.00.

HariPerth, WA

No issues, great machine.

Purchased in August 2019 for A$1,300.00.

bushmagpieAU

Should have bought one years ago

Purchased in June 2020 at Benalla Mowers & Chainsaws for A$1,459.00.

beadsSydney, NSW

Just Ok - Expensive for unresolved issues.

Purchased in February 2018 at GYC for A$1,400.00.

Consumer555Sydney, NSW

OK, but Mulch/Bag control needs redesigning

Bought in April 2018 after much research. It performs very well in actually cutting grass (Buffalo and Kikuyu) and has lots of good features .... However, 2 things detract from it -
1) When the bag is over half full, the front of the mower tends to lift from the grass. You need to apply positive up-force to the handle to keep it on an even keel.
2) The Mulch/Bag control (aka clip director) does not go to full 100% bag nor full 100% Mulch but just wanders around in between with a LOT of slack in the control. I took it back to the dealer 6 months ago and they reckon they are all like that. !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Purchased in April 2018 at Hills District Farm Equipment for A$1,199.00.

Leigh T

Leigh TBendigo

Relative ease of operation

Date PurchasedMar 2017
George

GeorgeDarwin

Great Machine!

Very nice machine! I do various of runs throughout my yard and it makes my lawn look mint everytime! I like the latch to dismount the excess grass and the capacity is also quite big which was what I was after. The motor inside has plenty of power and hasn't broken down within the time I have bought it (about 9 months ago). I recommend this mower to anyone who is after great performance at a reasonably good price with that reliability that many mowers do not offer!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Not happy Jan

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Sanchez

SanchezSydney, NSW

I'm Lovin' It

This mower is great, no issues, plenty of power in the 190cc engine and starts 1st or 2nd pull. I've had this mower about 18 months, used for 250m2 flat lawn weekly, sometimes twice a week and the cut is great. I'd never go a non-self propelled mower after this. The variable speed settings makes it easy to get the right speed and the ability to have the engine and self propelled on while the blade is not spinning is exactly what i needed to get up my steep driveway. The composite deck is not a problem, i was slightly concerned at the start. My only concern is the fixed blade, if it hits anything I've read it destroys the engine/mower, if that happens the cost of replacing will hurt.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Gose well. Have only one esu. It seems to lock weels sometimes.

Mowes well. Starts just about first go only the weel locking is a real pain. When on a hill or sloppy ground
It gives you grief. But over all a good mower for the price. You just have too love Honda. It just keeps going. And serving. Well the air filtering system will its so clean. Too good. Cheers

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Bellakelpie

BellakelpieSouthwest, VIC

Really nice mower

Just purchased one of these to replace a Proscape self propelled mower. Don't be put off by the composite base as opposed to steel or aluminium bases. The base on this is tough and stands up to punishment. The choice of 7 speeds makes mowing so much easier and the fact that it can also be pulled backwards while cutting (my old mower could not) makes things so much easier when getting into tight spaces. It starts instantaneously which my wife loves. It almost makes mowing the lawn fun.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A few refinements required.

Three improvements would make it great.
Individual wheel adjustments. Why? Front are easy to adjust but the rear are an absolute wrestling nightmare! A lot of skinned knuckles right there!
When the bag starts to get full, the rear end becomes too heavy. You have to put pressure on the handlebars to keep the front wheels on the ground.
The mulch/catcher adjustment jams with build up. Have to physically stop the mower, clean out and adjust. Can't do on the run unless you give the lever a good kick.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great Mower

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Don.B

Don.BGold Coast

21" of of cutting power

I have owned a lot of mowers in my time and as a lawn contractor by trade, I cannot go past the honda series. the 21" makes quick work of even the toughest lawns and doesn't skip a beat. I have tweaked the revs up to 3500 for a little more grunt to cut through the thick stuff as at factory it is set in the low 3000's which slows productivity. Overall these models are hard to beat and not many competitors come close

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Tom

Tom

Very good

Very happy with this purchase. Feels solid. Love the fact that you don’t have to mix oil with petro. Powerfull enough and you will appreciate the large catch baskets. It’s quite heavy as it is however it’s feels like is not very well balance a specially when full of wet gras, it has tendency to easily go out of balance meaning front up.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
murray.ockenfels

murray.ockenfelsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Blade performance

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Ames

AmesNSW

Easy to handle

I live on almost an acre block and it is a massive chore to mow the yard. I find this mower light weight and easy to start as the old one I would have to get my partner to start. Starts first go. I still hate mowing yet I enjoy using the new mower so not as much as a chore to have to mow the yard now. I love my partner for purchasing this. We sometimes argue over who gets to use it. He he.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Fish

FishUmina

Awesome machine

I bought my hrx217 last August, It's my first honda for my business. Runs great and very light considering it's size. The only problem I have is I operate on the coast and the blades don't last long because of the sand. I asked the local dealer and they told me you can't get a conversion kit to use swing back blades.... so I made my own have been using it for about 2 weeks. The mower is even better now

Date PurchasedAug 2016
mark

markwollongong

some doubts

This is a good mower for suburban lawns.
My problem arises because I ventured out from the lawn. This mower is designed for US conditions: rich soil, high rainfall, tall grass not so many rocks. Australia is not so kind. I've hit a rock and bent the crank shaft. Honda will not replace the engine in Australia, so this $1500 investment is now useless.Poor after sales service from Honda in this country.
not happy.
Mark

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Greg

Gregasked

HRX217

can not move lever across from bag to mulch what causes this. Greg

Peter B.

Peter B.asked

HRX217

Can you pull the mower backwards

Hi
You can pull the mower backwards but remember it’s designed for self propelling and therefore is a bit heavy to pull backwards on a regular basis

Hi,
Yes. It’s easily pulled backwards. It won’t propel backwards. Nothing to change, just pull back. I’m not a big person but I pull it back easy.

bushmagpie

You can but it's slightly heavier than a mower that isn't self propelled.

Darren Allanasked

HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

Hi all. Has anyone found that they have trouble with the grass blowing out sideways from under the deck on thin grass I've been told that this model is only suited to thicker longer grass. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Consumer555

Never. I cut just about everything on 2.0 or 2.5 height.

Darren Allan

No worries thanks for that Consumer555 I appreciate you taking the time to answer

Hi Darren,
Yes the mower blows grass out from under the deck continuously. I find I have to mow in one direction so I can attempt to pick up the "blown out" grass the next time around. As indicated in my review I have to mow over the lawn 2 to 3 times to pick up the cuttings. I would not buy this model again.

Compare all 4 Honda HRX217
Honda HRX217VKA
  • Discontinued

Honda HRX217VKA

No reviews yet
Honda HRX217HYA
  • Discontinued

Honda HRX217HYA

CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) A$1,529.00A$1,329.00A$699.00A$829.00
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake and Quick-Start MotorBlade Brake and Mulching CapabilityBlade Brake and Mulching Capability
Catcher Type CollapsibleCollapsibleCollapsible
Catcher Capacity88 L88 L
Cutting Deck MaterialPlasticAluminium AlloyAluminium Alloy
Cutting Width533 mm533 mm508 mm
Height of Cut19 mm to 100 mm19 mm to 100 mm95 mm to 102 mm
Number of Blades222
Weight46.1 kg43.6 kg45 kg
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)3 year(s)5 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV190 OHV/OHCHonda GCV200 OHV/OHCHonda GCV200
Engine TypeOHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHondaHondaHonda