Push Mowers Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of push mower would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

Leigh T

Leigh TBendigo

Relative ease of operation

Date PurchasedMar 2017

George

GeorgeDarwin

Great Machine!

Very nice machine! I do various of runs throughout my yard and it makes my lawn look mint everytime! I like the latch to dismount the excess grass and the capacity is also quite big which was what I was after. The motor inside has plenty of power and hasn't broken down within the time I have bought it (about 9 months ago). I recommend this mower to anyone who is after great performance at a reasonably good price with that reliability that many mowers do not offer!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Not happy Jan

Date PurchasedJun 2018
    Sanchez

SanchezSydney

I'm Lovin' It

This mower is great, no issues, plenty of power in the 190cc engine and starts 1st or 2nd pull. I've had this mower about 18 months, used for 250m2 flat lawn weekly, sometimes twice a week and the cut is great. I'd never go a non-self propelled mower after this. The variable speed settings makes it easy to get the right speed and the ability to have the engine and self propelled on while the blade is not spinning is exactly what i needed to get up my steep driveway. The composite deck is not a problem, i was slightly concerned at the start. My only concern is the fixed blade, if it hits anything I've read it destroys the engine/mower, if that happens the cost of replacing will hurt.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Gose well. Have only one esu. It seems to lock weels sometimes.

Mowes well. Starts just about first go only the weel locking is a real pain. When on a hill or sloppy ground
    It gives you grief. But over all a good mower for the price. You just have too love Honda. It just keeps going. And serving. Well the air filtering system will its so clean. Too good. Cheers

Date PurchasedJan 2018

BellakelpieSouthwest, VIC

Really nice mower

Just purchased one of these to replace a Proscape self propelled mower. Don't be put off by the composite base as opposed to steel or aluminium bases. The base on this is tough and stands up to punishment. The choice of 7 speeds makes mowing so much easier and the fact that it can also be pulled backwards while cutting (my old mower could not) makes things so much easier when getting into tight spaces. It starts instantaneously which my wife loves. It almost makes mowing the lawn fun.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A few refinements required.

Three improvements would make it great.
    Individual wheel adjustments. Why? Front are easy to adjust but the rear are an absolute wrestling nightmare! A lot of skinned knuckles right there!
    When the bag starts to get full, the rear end becomes too heavy. You have to put pressure on the handlebars to keep the front wheels on the ground.
    The mulch/catcher adjustment jams with build up. Have to physically stop the mower, clean out and adjust. Can't do on the run unless you give the lever a good kick.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great Mower

Date PurchasedJan 2018
    Don.B

Don.BGold Coast

21" of of cutting power

I have owned a lot of mowers in my time and as a lawn contractor by trade, I cannot go past the honda series. the 21" makes quick work of even the toughest lawns and doesn't skip a beat. I have tweaked the revs up to 3500 for a little more grunt to cut through the thick stuff as at factory it is set in the low 3000's which slows productivity. Overall these models are hard to beat and not many competitors come close

Date PurchasedJul 2017
    Tom

Tom

Very good

Very happy with this purchase. Feels solid. Love the fact that you don’t have to mix oil with petro. Powerfull enough and you will appreciate the large catch baskets. It’s quite heavy as it is however it’s feels like is not very well balance a specially when full of wet gras, it has tendency to easily go out of balance meaning front up.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

murray.ockenfels

murray.ockenfelsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Blade performance

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Ames

AmesNSW

Easy to handle

I live on almost an acre block and it is a massive chore to mow the yard. I find this mower light weight and easy to start as the old one I would have to get my partner to start. Starts first go. I still hate mowing yet I enjoy using the new mower so not as much as a chore to have to mow the yard now. I love my partner for purchasing this. We sometimes argue over who gets to use it. He he.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Fish

FishUmina

Awesome machine

I bought my hrx217 last August, It's my first honda for my business. Runs great and very light considering it's size. The only problem I have is I operate on the coast and the blades don't last long because of the sand. I asked the local dealer and they told me you can't get a conversion kit to use swing back blades.... so I made my own have been using it for about 2 weeks. The mower is even better now

Date PurchasedAug 2016

mark

markwollongong

some doubts

This is a good mower for suburban lawns.
    My problem arises because I ventured out from the lawn. This mower is designed for US conditions: rich soil, high rainfall, tall grass not so many rocks. Australia is not so kind. I've hit a rock and bent the crank shaft. Honda will not replace the engine in Australia, so this $1500 investment is now useless.Poor after sales service from Honda in this country.
    not happy.
    Mark

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic mower

Best mower I have ever had. It's an amazing machine. Starts first time every time and it's fairly easy to manuvore. The engine is huge with plenty of grunt. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone from weekend mower to contractor. The gearbox on these things are also fantastic.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

JamesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely fantastic!!

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Ken P

Ken PLaunceston

A quality mower, but not for everyone

Date PurchasedMay 2016

JT

JTNewcastle, New South Wales

Top of the line

I own two of these for a lawn maintenance business. The nexite body definitely lives up to it's reputation. The cutting width makes quick work of even larger size jobs, and the inbuilt mulcher makes it easy to change on the spot. The variable speed control works a treat, as does the blade brake. If you want a top-quality mower, this is it! The ones I have are currently 1 year old and have cut hundreds of lawns. No mechanical issues as yet, just general maintenance. Beautiful machine.

Honda
    James H.Honda

Thanks for the review JT. It is great to hear that your HRX217HYU is perfect for your lawn maintenance business.
    -Sarah

Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac

The best is worth it

For anyone looking for a self propelled mower you simply won't find better than this. It is so flexible In regard to speed, cutting modes (rear discharge, bag or mulch, or combinations of these) with plenty of power. This enables the user to find a mowing mode that suits exactly the type of lawn, terrain and physical ability of the operator. These modes can be easily changed on the go as conditions change. A truly magnificent, safe machine with legendary Honda reliability. It may cost a little more than some others, but it is worth it.

Honda
    James H.Honda

Thanks for the review Bobby Mac, it it great to hear that this mower has exceeded your expectations. -Sarah

ciaman22

ciaman22AU

This mower makes the job of mowing on steep ground easy!

Ian Jasked

There are three self propelled versions, one has what looks like you use your thumbs to drive, another has a rotary knob selector in the middle and the last is a rod with a yellow button on it, which is the best to use?

Bellakelpie

The mower I purchased is the one with the yellow button on the lever. ( HRX217) That button is pushed in to engage the blade while the motor is running. The mower with the drive levers is the HRR216 and comes in 2 versions. One with a Blade brake and the other with an Engine brake. I am not familiar with a mower with a knob selector, unless you refer to the mulch selector lever (which has a green knob on the end of it) which is feature of the HRX 217 model. If it is a black knob, then that is the fuel tank cap on the HRU196 and 216 models. The latter are designed for the commercial market. Which is best? I guess that is a personal thing. None of these mowers are light, which is why I chose a self propelled version. As my wife will use it from time to time, I also went for the electric start as she is just not strong enough to pull start a mower engine.

One was Hydrostatic drive Then there was a select drive Then there
    was a smart drive

stapo

stapoasked

Can you get gripper wheel treads, ie rubber and not the plastic ones provided. have been looking at reviews and have looked at this model at Honda dealer in Ballina, NSW and am keen to purchase. Only issue is I have a large lawn with sloppy sections

stapo53@bigpond.com

Drew
    Drew

I have seen people put screws into the rear wheels for extra traction

Bert

Bertasked

I would like to know the difference between the two honda motors, 160 and the 190 please?

James

Hey Bert, My thoughts are that the 160 is a 160cc motor while the 190 is the 190cc version because you can feel and hear more power in tools equipped with the 190.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives