Honda UMS425/U

Honda UMS425/U

UMS425 Bent Shaft and UMS425U

Great product

Great Whipper snipper, definitely the best product on the market with ease. Always starts first go never had any issues with it at all. Highly recommend to spend the money to get this product.

Purchased in November 2017.

Grass Type Short grass, Tall grass and Thick, heavy grass or weeds

Great motor, Dodgy bump head

I purchased this whipper snipper about 6 years ago and overall I have been disappointed. I went to honda because I had trouble starting my old whipper snipper. The motor on this one has been great, but the bump head has been nothing but frustration. I can start it first go, but have to stop every 10 metres to fix the bump. The bump head also wears out in less than 12 months and I can't find any off market one to fit. As such its $55 for a genuine honda one every 12 months. I have to do quite a bit of whipping on a 1/2 acre corner block so will steer clear of these ones in the future.

Purchased in May 2014.

Amazing machine. Great performance. Great longevity

Had mine for over 12 years now. Pretty sure this model had only just hit the market when I thought I’d treat myself.
Best decision I made that year.
Never let me down.
Machine has done way more work than a bent shaft should ever be subjected to and in some darn harsh conditions too.
Replaced the plug maybe three times in all.
Line head is great. I see other reviews here saying it can be a little of a nuisance but generally that’s because someone has wound the line too tight or loose and perhaps overloaded it. I also found using a slightly lighter line gets me more power, longer life of line and less strain on the motor.
Keep your engine oil clean and at the right level, keep your air filter clean and honestly they are an amazing little workhorse

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

Purchased in November 2008 for $389.00.

Grass Type Tall grass

Best Whipper Snipper Ever

Bought one from GYC Narellan on the weekend, best machine i have every used. One pull start as it is a 4 stoke and powerfull motor for domestic use. The cord winder is also a no brainer, very happy Honda.

Purchased in February 2019 at GYC Narellan.

Grass Type Short grass

Starts First Time Everytime

Absolutely love this. Starts like a dream everytime. Does a brilliant job and has more than enough power for a normal back yard. Really good on fuel. The only thing I can say would make this perfect is a shoulder strap, although the handle is more than good enough one you get used to it. Typical Honda quality.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Super Reliable!

Super reliable and effective trimmer with an excellent start mechanism, engine and ergonomics. Pretty low maintenance and fuel efficient with having only needed only one oil change in the last 12 months. The tap line release is a bit unreliable as it never seems to release extra line during operation. Other than that, highly recommended.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great machine, but parts are a rip off.

I like honda machinery for their reliability and the UMS425/U is no exception. runs well, easy to start but a little under powered. Needed a diaphragm kit for the carby, that's where I was disappointed. Carby is a Walbro and the diaphragms for them come as a kit but not those purchased through honda. Each diaphragm is sold individually and overpriced total cost of nearly $40 for the set. Can get a full kit for a stihl or any other walbro or zama carby for between $15 and $25. Hope this is not an indication of the price of other parts. Found the kits elsewhere for $12. Prefer to use genuine parts, but for this price I can buy 2 kits in case one does not last and still be in front.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Disappointed

Buying a Honda thought I was buying something decent but the line trimmer head is an absolute joke. I tried several times to wind it as shown in the instructions be only worked once or twice before getting tangled inside the head. So I took it to the Honda dealer and he wound it but again it worked twice. So I bought a Honda easy load head and it was just another waste of time and money, the line again gets stuck and doesn’t work. What a huge disappointment this whipper snipper is. I noticed that other people are having the same problem. l should have stuck with my old Ryobi trimmer it was great.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Bought yesterday very, very unhappy

Bought this yesterday to replace a Stihl that was terrible to start. Got the Honda home and it started first time.
1. First problem, the balance is all wrong. The weight of the engine pulls down. I am not criticising the overall weight of the unit, it is just the out of balance weight.
2. Used it for a few minutes and the engine cut out, it would start again immediately but continued to cut out. Eventually I found that when it was cutting out if I released the trigger the engine would go to idle and then I could press it again and it would immediately go back to full revs. This lasted for about half an hour.
3. The line ran out very quickly. Removed the line spool and found plenty of line still there but it was jammed up. I had a good look at how it was wound on, one track was wound on clockwise and the other anti clockwise. Thought that was a bit odd so attempted to read the instructions which are written in Chinglish and near impossible to interpret. I wound the line on as per the instructions and in the rotation as shown and line feed was terrible. It kept jamming and not feeding properly, only one side was feeding out. Eventually I gave up.
4. Had a look on Honda website this morning and the instructions provided with the mower on how to rewind the line is WRONG!! The line has to be wound on in the opposite direction to that shown in the instructions.
It is raining at the moment so will wait until later to try again. But I am extremely unhappy with this unit. I have had a Honda mower for years and it is the best mower I have ever had also own a Honda CRV which is a brilliant car so am perplexed as to why this unit is so bad.
I have been in the engineering and automotive repair business all my working life so I know how things should work.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Used it again after winding the line in the correct direction and it worked well All is forgiven Have been using this line trimmer since April after encountering a few problems and it starts very easily line feed is extremely good, so very very happy

Bit heavy but buying a harness helps.

Takes a bit of getting use to after having an electric Ryobi. Starts easily on first pull. It came with a strap but I ended up buying a proper harness to take the weight off my shoulder, much easier to use and control. Find it a bit hard to do edges as you have to swing it in an awkward position but I guess time will make it easier as I have only used it 4 times. Cuts easily through our couch and the bloody runners. Got a deal with buying a mower and this from our local mowing company Mowers Galore.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Honda reliability and service

Good 4-stroke trimmer for domestic use. However, be aware that 4-strokes are inherently heavier. I borrowed my neighbors 2-stroke Stihl and it was lighter and revved up faster.
But this trimmer is fantastic for domestic use. Although, it does struggle a bit with thicker grass like kikuyu or buffalo when it grows too long. For that reason I wish I bought the one up from this model which is more powerful.
The reason I am taking away a star is it tends to vibrate a bit and hence fatigues me quicker. I have a feeling it's because of the nature of a bent shaft trimmers, so another reason to have bought the straight shaft. I reduce the impact by wearing thick leather work gloves though.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Amazing mashine and staff

I bought my Honda recently and had no trouble at all. Works perfectly every time. Quite and functional. Great staff members especially Cameron from RedShed Dandenong. I got my Honda and tank of fuel and oil into reservoirs. Also Cameron explained all details about mashine and how to maintain all parts. Easy to look after it. Definitely the best choice for small and medium size of cutting areas.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Please fix the head and winding of the cord

Have had this for 2 months now and despite the best efforts of the good folk who sold it to me I cannot wind the cord without it jamming up after a few bump feeds, I think that the head design could be more user friendly when removing and replacing it. I will have to look at other options for the head. Other than that the machine is everything that I had hoped, it starts first pull - has plenty of power and just gets on with the job.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great in most areas...

I am done with 2-stroke! This machine, even though it is a domestic unit is a 4-stroke and everything that I hopped for. Quiet, powerful and easy to use. My only negative would be the balance of it - the controls need to be a little higher up the shaft to make it more comfy when using. Easy to start and you can't over-prime it. So simple now just using normal unleaded fuel. Have had it for 6 months and never missed a beat.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Light enough for the missus!

Have had this bent shaft whipper snipper for over 10 years, it is still running like a beauty. We live on 5 acres so it gets a fair bit of use in summer time. The wife uses it more than me so the following is her feedback.
The good:- Light enough for her to use for hours at a time, no mixing of two stroke fuels, no smelly smoky two stroke fumes when using, doesn't require a lot of maintenance with a oil change every 6 months or so, not very loud when running, easy to restart when it is hot, very economical on fuel.
The bad:- Sometimes hard to start when first using(I think it maybe technique as it always starts for me), string can be difficult to replace(I usually do it for her), the bump feed can be a little temperamental with it not always coming out which maybe something to do with the way I wind the line in?
The good points with this whipper snipper far outweigh the bad so we are very happy with it.
We paid $351 for it 10 years ago and have no regrets and would not hesitate to purchase another one.

Date PurchasedJan 2008

Reliable and Robust

This machine is a reliable, easy to start and user friendly. It's a little more expensive than most trimmers but the old adage is you get what you pay for. Replaced a Stilhl fs 38 which was rubbish. This is my first Honda product and won't be my last after having used this trimmer.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Disappointed in

I suffered a similar issue to Paul - lack of detail in the manual for changing the line. There was a separate sheet of paper which alluded to how the cord should be changed, however it was virtually in pidgeon English. Pity Honda Australia couldn't see their way clear to publish their own sheet, with clear and concise English for us simple folk. I sort of understand the odd typo (although why I do in this day n age is beyond me!!), but whoever let this through to accompany the sketchy manual is imbecilic...I also watched several U Tube versions of how to change the cord, but it appears my unit must be a later version, as there are no "latches" on the housing to release the spool. On the sheet it talks about revs of 4.500; 6,000 and 10,500 to when "bumping" to extend the line, however the salesman advised it should be done on max. speed.?? & how does one tell what the Revs are at any given time?? Disappointed in this purchase, as I had 2 previous units, both Ryobi and unfortunately, both 2 stroke. I went for a 4 stroke to alleviate issues with the petrol clogging in the 2 stroke, hence no Stihl, which was my 1st option, although I was pleased at the time to have another Honda, but that exuberance has since vanished - where's me scissors??

Date PurchasedSep 2017

A really good trimmer ruined by the bump head

This is a really reliable trimmer from the 4 stroke, easy start motor to the shaft, right up until you get to that horrible bump head. I've never had a single bump head trimmer that feeds the trimmer cord reliably. I told the salesperson that when I bought it and they assured me this one was reliable...nup! It started out OK but after 3 months it was more petulant about feeding the line and the last time I used it it fed the line out too fast and continuously (no - I didn't wind it incorrectly!)
Shame really. It makes an otherwise well designed and reliable unit really frustrating to use.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Rolls Royce of Whipper Snippers

Best ever Whipper Snipper , easy to handle and being four stroke means no more mixing fuel. May have to change spark plug every twelve months but that is all the maintenance it requires. Easy cord replacement and i find a 2.0 mm size cord works very well for a smooth fine cut on your garden edges. Thoroughly recommend this product and with special care it will last you forever.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

One of the best garden tool in my shed.

I bought it 1 year ago and used for more than 20 times now. Very easy to start just 1 pull or 2, power is enough for suburban family, no mix oil messy. The only 2 things you should think about before you buy it. The first, it is heavy. Compare with some 2 stroke unit on the market, this one probably 1 kg heavier than a light 2 stroke unit. When you hold it longer than 15 minutes you can feel it. The second, if you are taller than 180 cm, you better think a straight model. The bent shaft is not comfortable for a tall man. You have to bent you back a little bit to work. I am 180 and I can feel the pain when I work with it longer than 15 minutes. If you have a big yard and is a tall man, try a straight model. Anyway, this is a one of the best garden tool in my shed.

Date PurchasedJun 2016