Honda UMS425/U

Honda UMS425/U

UMS425 Bent Shaft, UMS425U

See the Best Petrol Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Minnie

MinnieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fortunately it is easy to start....

....because I had to stop/start it 127 times to reload the line. It used 2 heads full of line to do a job that my old 2 stroke beast knocked over in 2 hours. It snapped, recoiled back into the head, bump head rarely worked, became tight and twisted in the spool....sooooo frustrating. I became an expert at loading it and triple checked the strange instructions. Even did a YouTube degree to gain my bachelors in line loading. So after a great deal of swearing and basic self control (I will give it one-more-chance), back to bunnings it went. Wish me luck with its replacement Makita.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $339.00.

Grass Type Short grass and Tall grass

Paul H

Paul HGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Supreme Power at a great price!

Purchased in November 2019 at Mowers Galore for $329.00.

Grass Type Thick, heavy grass or weeds
ROLLA

ROLLACentral Queensland, QLD

Great product

Great Whipper snipper, definitely the best product on the market with ease. Always starts first go never had any issues with it at all. Highly recommend to spend the money to get this product.

Purchased in November 2017.

Grass Type Short grass, Tall grass and Thick, heavy grass or weeds

Great motor, Dodgy bump head

I purchased this whipper snipper about 6 years ago and overall I have been disappointed. I went to honda because I had trouble starting my old whipper snipper. The motor on this one has been great, but the bump head has been nothing but frustration. I can start it first go, but have to stop every 10 metres to fix the bump. The bump head also wears out in less than 12 months and I can't find any off market one to fit. As such its $55 for a genuine honda one every 12 months. I have to do quite a bit of whipping on a 1/2 acre corner block so will steer clear of these ones in the future.

Purchased in May 2014.

Timmy2Dogs

Timmy2DogsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Amazing machine. Great performance. Great longevity

Purchased in November 2008 for $389.00.

Grass Type Tall grass

Ratnesh Singh

Ratnesh SinghSydney, NSW

Best Whipper Snipper Ever

Bought one from GYC Narellan on the weekend, best machine i have every used. One pull start as it is a 4 stoke and powerfull motor for domestic use. The cord winder is also a no brainer, very happy Honda.

Purchased in February 2019 at GYC Narellan.

Grass Type Short grass

Neil Burton

Neil BurtonSydney, NSW

Starts First Time Everytime

Absolutely love this. Starts like a dream everytime. Does a brilliant job and has more than enough power for a normal back yard. Really good on fuel. The only thing I can say would make this perfect is a shoulder strap, although the handle is more than good enough one you get used to it. Typical Honda quality.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

beachsider

beachsiderSydney, NSW

Super Reliable!

Super reliable and effective trimmer with an excellent start mechanism, engine and ergonomics. Pretty low maintenance and fuel efficient with having only needed only one oil change in the last 12 months. The tap line release is a bit unreliable as it never seems to release extra line during operation. Other than that, highly recommended.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great machine, but parts are a rip off.

I like honda machinery for their reliability and the UMS425/U is no exception. runs well, easy to start but a little under powered. Needed a diaphragm kit for the carby, that's where I was disappointed. Carby is a Walbro and the diaphragms for them come as a kit but not those purchased through honda. Each diaphragm is sold individually and overpriced total cost of nearly $40 for the set. Can get a full kit for a stihl or any other walbro or zama carby for between $15 and $25. Hope this is not an indication of the price of other parts. Found the kits elsewhere for $12. Prefer to use genuine parts, but for this price I can buy 2 kits in case one does not last and still be in front.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Disappointed

Buying a Honda thought I was buying something decent but the line trimmer head is an absolute joke. I tried several times to wind it as shown in the instructions be only worked once or twice before getting tangled inside the head. So I took it to the Honda dealer and he wound it but again it worked twice. So I bought a Honda easy load head and it was just another waste of time and money, the line again gets stuck and doesn’t work. What a huge disappointment this whipper snipper is. I noticed that other people are having the same problem. l should have stuck with my old Ryobi trimmer it was great.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

ALHHobart

Bought yesterday very, very unhappy

Date PurchasedApr 2018

DebDeb

DebDebMelbourne

Bit heavy but buying a harness helps.

Takes a bit of getting use to after having an electric Ryobi. Starts easily on first pull. It came with a strap but I ended up buying a proper harness to take the weight off my shoulder, much easier to use and control. Find it a bit hard to do edges as you have to swing it in an awkward position but I guess time will make it easier as I have only used it 4 times. Cuts easily through our couch and the bloody runners. Got a deal with buying a mower and this from our local mowing company Mowers Galore.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Ratu

RatuGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Honda reliability and service

Good 4-stroke trimmer for domestic use. However, be aware that 4-strokes are inherently heavier. I borrowed my neighbors 2-stroke Stihl and it was lighter and revved up faster.
But this trimmer is fantastic for domestic use. Although, it does struggle a bit with thicker grass like kikuyu or buffalo when it grows too long. For that reason I wish I bought the one up from this model which is more powerful.
The reason I am taking away a star is it tends to vibrate a bit and hence fatigues me quicker. I have a feeling it's because of the nature of a bent shaft trimmers, so another reason to have bought the straight shaft. I reduce the impact by wearing thick leather work gloves though.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Amazing mashine and staff

I bought my Honda recently and had no trouble at all. Works perfectly every time. Quite and functional. Great staff members especially Cameron from RedShed Dandenong. I got my Honda and tank of fuel and oil into reservoirs. Also Cameron explained all details about mashine and how to maintain all parts. Easy to look after it. Definitely the best choice for small and medium size of cutting areas.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Please fix the head and winding of the cord

Have had this for 2 months now and despite the best efforts of the good folk who sold it to me I cannot wind the cord without it jamming up after a few bump feeds, I think that the head design could be more user friendly when removing and replacing it. I will have to look at other options for the head. Other than that the machine is everything that I had hoped, it starts first pull - has plenty of power and just gets on with the job.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Juz

JuzSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great in most areas...

I am done with 2-stroke! This machine, even though it is a domestic unit is a 4-stroke and everything that I hopped for. Quiet, powerful and easy to use. My only negative would be the balance of it - the controls need to be a little higher up the shaft to make it more comfy when using. Easy to start and you can't over-prime it. So simple now just using normal unleaded fuel. Have had it for 6 months and never missed a beat.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

steve

steveToowoomba

Light enough for the missus!

Date PurchasedJan 2008

Robert

Robert

Reliable and Robust

This machine is a reliable, easy to start and user friendly. It's a little more expensive than most trimmers but the old adage is you get what you pay for. Replaced a Stilhl fs 38 which was rubbish. This is my first Honda product and won't be my last after having used this trimmer.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Disappointed in

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Dave

DaveSydney Surrounds, NSW

A really good trimmer ruined by the bump head

This is a really reliable trimmer from the 4 stroke, easy start motor to the shaft, right up until you get to that horrible bump head. I've never had a single bump head trimmer that feeds the trimmer cord reliably. I told the salesperson that when I bought it and they assured me this one was reliable...nup! It started out OK but after 3 months it was more petulant about feeding the line and the last time I used it it fed the line out too fast and continuously (no - I didn't wind it incorrectly!)
Shame really. It makes an otherwise well designed and reliable unit really frustrating to use.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016