Huawei E5186

Huawei E5186

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Does the job

Basic modem but does the job for my household
signal does drop out quit frequently but not sure if it's the modem or my nbn connection
easy to set up and install

Purchased in June 2017 at Harvey Norman for $150.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPDodo NBN
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

THE WORST MODEM EVER!

This is the worst modem I have ever owned! This is a replacement from the last one because it too was doing the same thing after about 6-8 months. It starts dropping the signal and you have to switch it off for a minute and then reboot. I have to do this every half hour to an hour and is very frustrating. The last two Huawei modems before this model did exactly the same thing. I'm not getting it replaced again from Optus as I am through with this junk! Now I have to fork out for a new modem out of my own pocket and will NEVER buy another Huawei product again. They are absolute rubbish and a waste of money! Optus should be ashamed to offer their products!

Purchased in August 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Device is fantastic and easy to use

I bought this in August from ebay. The device was suitable out of box for Optus. I didn't really need to tweak any settings. The back panel which contains the password can come off easily for closer view. As the reception in my area is pretty good, there is no need to install external antennas which is an option.

This device also has the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz channel to improve wifi connection. If you can find a USB power adaptor, this can actually become a portable unit in your car. just a thought.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Stable 4G router

We are forced to use mobile broadband as our main source of internet so we bought tis as its meant for permanent use. We get a lovely stable signal - virtually nenevr need to restart it and when we do the router is not usually that actually problem. More recently Optus has seemed a bit oversubscribed on 4G and I have noticed slow downs a t peak times but the router just keeps chugging along

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Don't buy!!

Internet speed is horrendous, can’t get anything done and nothing will load!! If you have any more then two people connected at any one time, you’ll be fighting over speed. Even after restarting the router, the speed is not affected and still remains extremely slow and annoying. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Hate it

Internet speed is slow and is horrible!!!! It is the worst product i ever used worst then anything you can't compare it to any other internet that's how bad it is and it has 57% internet connection speed. I would not buy it even if my life depended on it!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Pure 4G LTE-A router with Stable Performance

The Huawei E5186 router is much better than the first generation LTE router B593. Since I would use the Huawei E5186 router in other countries, I bought the unlocked Huawei E5186 modem from [weblink removed] and after using around half a year, it's still working well with a stable connection and fast speed. Actually, when i used the Huawei B593 router, there are some problems after using two months. The Huawei E5186 didn't bring any trouble to the users. The connectors for external antenna is very good if you located at places of weak signal. Highly recommend the Huawei E5186 router.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great Modem

Easy to set up, this was part of our deal with our internet provider...And it never drops!
It's fast and was not complex at all to navigate. I think this Huawei Modem is also attractive in white,
and is camoflaugued against white walls. Nonetheless internet provider or modern, this is good. Great.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great router easy to connect

Nice and easy connect to internet service provider. Great modem. Provides handy instructions easy to follow. Also provides fast internet access to multiple devices. FTTB and NBN compatible hense I did not want to buy another modem when I moved houses with FTTB connection to another house with ADSL. Great handy device.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

FANTASTIC! Very happy

I bought this for internet in our home so we can watch Netflix, surf the internet on our computer, phones and tablets and we have absolutely loved it. We haven't had any issues at all, it is fast and reliable and we can stream on multiple devices without any issues at all. Very easy to set up and use, I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a fast and easy internet solution.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great modem for optus mobile

Bought this modem to use with an Optus mobile sim. The modem is a bit big, but is still light and portable. Easy to attach antennas for improved reception.

Greatest advantages are the ports (USB, phone line, ethernet) and the fact that you can lock this modem to a specific band. It also seems to prefer Band 40 which gives better speeds in my area.

Disadvantages are that it's only CAT 6 (Optus Netgear AC 800s is CAT 9, while Telstra have up to CAT16) and it sometimes seems to have less signal strength than other modems I've tried in the same places.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Constantly dies.

Started out like a solid unit when first set up, quickly changed for the worse! Constantly dies, WiFi just stops working, needs to be restarted around 6 times a day, and only has 3 devices connected to it so go figure. I would suggest perhaps going for a netgear instead.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Good router

This modem came when we upgraded to NBN. So far the modem has worked well and its easy to set up, shutdown, restart. The speeds i receive seem to be consistent since we've installed it and i like the size and color of the product. i would recommend this product.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Ok enough

I received this modem from my ISP for my nbn service, the modem seems to work well enough. I don't have much down time with the internet a and the speeds seem to be right with my service. Have no complaints except that mine didn't seem to have 5gz band

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Very poor quality Modem

This is the worst Modem I have ever bought and also paid for it, I had got this modem as a NO OPTION modem from one of the Wi-FI service providers but didn't get what I was expecting as the Modem did not work properly which resulted in us being without internet for the 1 week

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Amazing product, advanced features

It is a very sophisticated modem with advanced features like 4G connection, wall-mount power connectors as well as conventional power cable. The design of modem is very attractive, which is different from all others. It powers on instantly and connects to network super quick. All the necessary accessories are provided with the modem

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great 4G LTE SIM card WiFi Modem

This is a WiFi modem running off a 3/4G mobile network via SIM card. I purchased the optus branded modem from Gumtree in November 2017.

The unit is not locked to any network therfore all telcos will work via changing the APN settings, which can be accessed through your mobile phone with the huawei app.

My network is OVO and have connected to the 100 GB plan for $69.95 monthly prepaid recharge. The modem gets full strength signal in suburbia Newcastle and as of 7.30pm on Christmas Eve is giving me 79.41MBps download / 50.15 upload which beats NBN in my area.

Despite other comments, the modem stays connected at all times and has not dropped off not once. I did find if you don't have the correct APN that will happen however.

Coverage through the house is great and the product has suited my needs exactly. Way better then your usual dongle that needs to be charged constantly etc.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

The modem itself is good, but the Optus home wireless service is average at best

Purchased this on a 24 month contract with Optus back in December last year. What Optus failed to inform us of when we signed up is that our area suffers from poor mobile coverage (this device runs off the 4G 2300mHz band), so we do experience regular drop outs (once every couple of days) and speed drops. It should also be noted that while the device does run off the Optus 4G network, your speeds are capped at up to 12/1mbps in metro areas and 5/1mbps in regional areas; so don't get this if you're looking for superfast 4G speeds to compete with the NBN (you'll want mobile broadband for that). What I do like about this device is how portable it is. You can move it anywhere in the house (near a window is best for optimal coverage), and take it with you if you move house (you don't have to wait weeks for a technician to install your fixed service).

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Ok product

Pretty average, setup is very simple but connection seems to cut out after long periods of use. Started noticing it after about a month and have had a few times more since then maybe days to week apart. Had to power cycle the equipment to get the connection back. Other then that its ok. I cant say how far the signal would travel since I have it next to my PC and everything else that needs it is in the same room.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Depending on your area

This modem has no bad qualities, however as with most internet connections, it depends on your area and the speed you can receive. The wireless wifi sometimes lags and loads some videos a little slower, however, it depends on the particular device - if you are watching a video in HD then naturally there will be lags in the process.

Date PurchasedOct 2017