icare

icare

Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

1.1

• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (4), 1-2 weeks (1) and 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (3)
Steven Arthur

Steven ArthurSydney, NSW

Attempts to charge penalties that exceed 50% of policy cost

I have their legal department chasing me for filling fee's for a standard workers comp policy, after we defaulted tow instalments. Not only did we pay it in full, but the penalty was for half the rate of the policy. Extortive and unethical intimidation tactics.

Enyd

EnydIllawarra, NSW

Made a good situation bad

Icare really let me down. They moved my workcover case through quickly but created friction in my work situation. I am now being bullied due to their actions and will continue to be based on the nature of our management. I’m also injured and home alone and will certainly not engage with Icare again. Sadly all I wanted was to get straight back to work.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2020
Claim ApprovedYes
John

John

Awful service

iCare service is terrible. They emailed me on 17 June to say they were sending a refund cheque; that cheque has not arrived and my query emails have been ignored.

Andrew C.

Andrew C.South East Queensland, QLD

The Wesfarmers Club

John Nagle, CEO and former Wesfarmers director, is an extremely conceited and arrogant person. Thanks to him, icare has gone from just two executives earning $300,000+ per year to more than 30 executives (many also from Wesfarmers and without any work insurance experience) earning that amount and more - from a total of $660,000 to more than $18 million in executive salaries alone! Meanwhile, workers’ compensation claimants are being struck off after a certain time limit or even denied claims altogether. An unethical and immoral company, run by unethical and immoral people.

Edit: John Nagle quit the day after I wrote this review... How ironic!

Under 30No

Worst company ever to deal with

Worst experience of any company I’ve dealt with !
Unprofessional, can’t accurately work out premiums ,
Bad interaction with Icare staff
Bad response to emails and calls
ZERO stars !!! But to do this review had to pick at least 1
From Alan Maggs

Laney

LaneySydney Surrounds, NSW

Icare is just a insurance company run by our trusty government

Icare are just another insurance company run by the government. They don't help anyone on workers compensation having problems with Insurance company like QBE. I had surgery on my wrist in May & sled for help mowing my lawns, QBE said because I've used up all of my privileges, i can't have help from QBE . What a waste of tax payers money!!

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Jules

JulesSydney, NSW

In the digital age, we're back to paper forms. But that's fine in a monopoly.

Renewal process for Workers Comp since icare took over as a sole insurer is never clear (and that is for something that is very well defined and hasn't changed in years). I used to do it online with my previous insurer before it was effectively monopolised and icare - even 2 years after that happened - hasn't managed to get their process online, so what effectively was meant to make it cheaper probably makes it more expensive with all the manual work of dealing with emails and PDFs back and forth. Additionally, they can afford to have a crap customer experience because it's not like you can deal with a competitor. Pretty disappointing.

(I had to select some health insurance to submit review, disregard it, this is workers comp.)

Pierre

PierreRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Scammers

Do not trust these criminals. They just renewed my contract without my consent then demand the money off me. Their support person I talked to was totally out of line invading my privacy telling me I can’t cancel the policy unless I give her a reason?!?!? What the ? Complaining to the department of fair trading.

Amanda

AmandaSydney Surrounds, NSW

Dishonest and very poor processes

awiseowl

awiseowlMid North Coast, NSW

ICARE Workers Comp. DISGUSTING. Royal Commission Needed

Coverage TypeCouple
Kgoods

Kgoods

Two hours and 6 staff members just to get a quote for one employee!

It took two hours to get a quote with Icare this morning for one part-time employee! There is no category for charities or non-profits, even though it's one of the largest employers in NSW! The time spent on the phone being given conflicting advice every time cost more in my time than the insurance policy itself. If they don't even know how to quote, god help us if we ever need to claim through them.

Agree with other comments here, their monopoly is a joke. They clearly need some competition to lift their game and perhaps consider including the massive charity sector in NSW as an industry.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Kie, Sydney

Kie, Sydney

iCare is not the answer to workers compensation issues

Coverage TypeFamily

Very poor processes

Endless to and fro of invoices and emails every year that ends in confusion each time. They do not know what they are doing. There should not be a monopoly for such an industry. They need competition to lift their game.

Elmo

ElmoShellharbour

Sending predatory invoices for non existent policy

Received a claim through a lawyer chasing payments on insurance policy that I never had. Lawyer never provided requested further particulars and in the end they withdrew the claim at pre-trial hearing. Count me in for a class action claim against this unethical company.

Under 30No

Icares incompetence, misconduct and bad customer service

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateOctober 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Vicki

VickiNorth Western Region, NSW

worst billing system

I have just received out account due today at 3.43pm. How can their billing system be so out of touch as to send an account that is due that day. No reminder, no account. Really.

Dave G.

Dave G.

Unbelievable incompetence

I was unlucky enough to need this insurance just as Icare took over the monopoly. I paid 4 times as much as all my peers. I cannot explain the nightmare

Michael

MichaelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Keep invoicing me even my abn is cancelled

How can a company like this? Never update the abn database? My abn has been cancelled and still keep sending me the invoice paper to my old business address which is not belong to me anymore? Hay icare? Brainless? Don’t you only know how to charge your customer and never reply? I have already relocation to the other state and. Sorry I wont pay for your cheating icare insurance at all!

Plan CoverageExtras Only

André d.

André d.Sydney, NSW

The worst service I have seen

An employee got injured 3 months ago. The problem is that we have been waiting for the refund from Icare for more than 2 months now. My employee and I have been calling Icare since the beginning, every calling takes us about an hour because the attendants keep we waiting or transferring our calling from one to another. What happens in the end of every call is that the attendant says that the payment is gonna be made but till now nothing. Not even an explanation. That is only the main problem but really the service is disgusting. By now I keep calling them but I do not believe that the payment is gonna come through. Just to prove what I am saying you can check the email I asked for to one of the attendants.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
RRoe

RRoeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Out of control and irresponsible for its organizations actions.

I have been waiting for refund and calculation process to be completed for over two years as our company down sized significantly.
Multiple emails and hours of phone calls which end up with non-matching data.
Then supposedly sorted out, but to date no confirmation.
Now again I have been sent a bill after multiple assurances i would receive a refund.
Multiple emails and hours of phone calls which end up with non-matching data.
This just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.
Nobody who can take responsibility and get it sorted and confirmed.
Terrible terrible terrible, who can you turn to??? It's like a nightmare!!
Appears to be monopolized irresponsible headless monster/machine.