Ikea Hovag

Ikea Hovag

Medium Firm, Firm

See the Best Mattresses in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Best mattress ever

Purchased in August 2018 at IKEA QLD, Logan.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks

TrueAdventure10

TrueAdventure10South East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Chemical Smell

The mattress had a terrible chemical smell, smelt like you a Chinese chemical factory. I aired it out for 5 days and still smelled strong. I returned it to Ikea. This is terrible and can't be healthy.

Purchased in August 2019.

Sleeping PositionBack
Adjustment PeriodI never got used to it!
Glenda

GlendaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Excellent Value For Comfort

Purchased in October 2018 at IKEA VIC, Richmond for $249.00.

Valerie

ValerieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unbelieveable Smell! Stay away - do not buy

Purchased in July 2019 at North Lake for $349.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
Adjustment PeriodI never got used to it!

Ashish

AshishSydney, NSW

Perfect mattress box spring

onsist of lots of metal coils suspended in the other materials of the mattress. Offers a lot of bounce and good temperature control, supporting the body by pushing back a similar amount of pressure that the body applies

Purchased in February 2019 at IKEA NSW, Rhodes for $319.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Heat Retention Yes
Perceived FirmnessSoft

Sam C.

Sam C.North Queensland, QLD

If you like a firm mattress I can't recommend this highly enough

A firm Ikea matress is very firm. Having a mattress this firm is a excellent way to train yourself to sleep on your back which I was trying to do.

I have not had any issues with wear or sagging but the combined weight of me and my wife is less than 100kg

Purchased in March 2017.

Perceived FirmnessVery Hard

B Rad

Back Pain Gone so is the smell great value for price

Date PurchasedJan 2017

JcdPerth

I think i could have done better.

Purchased in January 2019 for $349.00.

Adjustment PeriodMonths
Discomfort Yes
SaggingYes
Perceived FirmnessHard
Gintare

GintareSouthampton

stay away!!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Poor quality with a great deal of back pain!

My partner and I are polar opposites with our taste in mattresses so to find a middle ground we thought getting the hövåg would be a good idea as it's on the medium side. While he doesn't mind it, asoft bed lover like me can't handle it. Even with the extra purchase of the top layer to make it more comfortable, it is so firm I wake up with a sore back and headache every night. This is not helped by the fact in the two months of owning it, the mattress has dipped and is on it's way to completely sinking according to other reviews on either side where my partner and I sleep during the night. So disappointed to have this outcome after only 2 months. Offers no support at all. Not worth the back pain.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great Mattress.. no smell

I was a little worried about ordering this mattress especially regarding the smell. We needed a roll up mattress as it is for a cottage which is up some awkward stairs. We also needed it quite quickly. I picked up the medium firm mattress and it is soooo comfortable. We unrolled it and opened windows but must say didnt really smell anything. The mattress is being used in a holiday let so if it did smell we would have heard from guests.. but they all say its the best mattress they have slept on! What a great price too!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

LOVE!! Much better than Eve.

I previously had a memeory foam eve which cost well over £400. Disgusting mattress so sent back straight away. Got this Ikea Hovag mattress and I’ve been impressed ever since. I love how the mattress is cheap and also really durable. I feel like it will last a long time as long as I turn it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Scarlett

ScarlettBristol

Do not get this mattress!!!

This mattress made me REALLY SICK for over 2 months without me knowing! I thought it was mould in my room the whole time, and even had the council over.
I believe the chemicals they use to spray it (they do this as an anti flammable effect) were making me very sick.
I woke up with bad headaches, earaches and sinus tension for 2 months and had to take time off work and everything. Literally paid $380 NZD just to get ill for months! The smell doesn't go away either. Don't get this mattress. I am now terrified of anything from IKEA. It is truly terrifying that they can sell these products to the public.
all round a horrible experience.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Mel

MelPERTH

Good starter mattress

Purchased in September 2018 for $349.00.

Ravando

RavandoMelbourne

Not so Good Mattress

We purchased it a few months ago and not really satisfied with it. We thought that it would be firm enough (we ordered medium firmness), but it turned out to be too soft for us. Overall, it is just okay and not that comfortable.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Horrible!

I do like firm mattresses so i got the hovag firm from ikea after trying it in the shop, after 48hrs of leaving it to air still had really strong horrible smell! Still has it now 6months later of use!! Its not firm at all, as if it had a hole in the middle now. If you like to sleep with your belly down i totally do not recommend this mattress you will wake up every morning with back pain, as i do. Overall do not recommend it to anyone for the bad chemical smell it is disgusting.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Ben

BenHertfordshire

Just a comment on the "off-gassing" people are complaining about

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Danny H

Danny HAmaroo 2914, ACT

A smell that may outlast religion

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Nettie

NettieLondon uk

Shockingly bad

Date PurchasedJan 2016

CaraR

CaraRWitta

Compact, easy to transport and very comfy

I bought one of these mattresses initially and drove it home in my small Corolla because like all of IKEA products, the Hovag is flat packed (i.e. rolled up and in a space bag). This made the easy of getting it home great. I was sceptical at first but we undid the packaging and were very impressed. The mattress is firm and comfortable. Easy to clean with a sponge for any messes or vacuum for dust.
I was so impressed with the quality that I went back and bought two more and replaced my other kids ones in only one car trip.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Jcdasked

What fire retardants are used in the Ikea Hovag. I have asked at Ikea and they said they had no idea. I have also rang them and still no answer. My mattress was made in China and as it had a VERY strong smell at first and still smells after 8 weeks what is used in it?

Jcdasked

Exactly what fire retardants are used in this mattress. My mattress was made in China (says so on my law tag) and it smells very strong. Have had it 8 weeks or so and still smell it.Is Formaldehyde or Antimony in it? I am concerned.

Not Happy

Not Happyasked

we bought a queen sized Hovag and bed on Saturday this week in Canberra, and our whole house now smells of the musty dirty wet mop smell. It is not getting any better. How do we go about returning the mattress as we only have a sedan vehicle? Can we get an Ikea representative to assist with pickup and then seek a refund for the mattress. We shall be keeping the bed though and seek another mattress from elsewhere., one that we can smell prior to buying! I at first thought because of all of the rain we have had in Canberra that we had developed mould under the house, but checked that by crawling under there, and then worked out it was the mattress, very disappointed, as the smell is so bad.

B Rad

I certainly didn't experience that. Contact IKEA ? maybe it got damaged in storage as this is not a issue they all have.

Jcd

Write an email to Ikea. They will contact you quickly. You CANNOT just call customer service they will direct you to writing an email. (At least this is how WA works.) Yes they will pick up for you and it wont cost you but only if they say the mattress has a problem. If they find no problem then they will charge around $70. It sounds like mould in the mattress so please sleep elsewhere if you arent already.

Get an answer from our members and IKEA representatives