Sleeping Duck Mattress

Mattress Buying Guide

Read now

Adrian Harris

Adrian HarrisGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Extremely comfortable mattress. We sleep so well on it.

Great sleeps. Remains firm and no sags so far.Love the speedy delivery and the unpacking process was fun. I never wake during the night since using it. Would definitely get another.

Purchased in September 2020 for A$1,300.00.

Dje

Dje

Very good quality

The mattress is now 12 months old, I was dubious when purchasing it but am impressed with it. It is everything that was advertised really a very good product . I

Purchased in June 2019.

Bed in a box

Very impressed and we never thought something like a mattress in a box could be so comfortable. Feels literally like a cloud. Only downside is it’s heavier than I expected.

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,500.00.

Dianne Wood

Dianne WoodGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Money well spent

We sleep so well, the mattress was easy to undo if you read the instructions or watch the video. I sleep much more soundly and my partner doesn’t disturb me when he comes to bed.

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,700.00.

David S.

David S.

Shrimpo

Very supportive
Have Parkinson’s and helps with muscle and joint issues
Getting longer periods of sleep and higher efficiency sleep patterns
The mattress has kept its shape
Retained firmness since starting use
It is easy to make

Purchased in October 2020 at Better Braces for A$1,100.00.

Marlene J.

Marlene J.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Uninterrupted Sleep with no back pain

Fantastic mattress can't believe it I can sleep all the way through without waking up with hip and lower back pain. Unpacking was a breeze no hassle at all. When I first sat on it I thought oh no it's going to be to soft and loose it's shape I was wrong it's kept it's shape and perfect firmness. Customer service and follow up is very professional highly recommend.

Purchased in October 2020 at online for A$1,500.00.

Perceived FirmnessSoft

Happy campers

Very comfortable indeed. No more sore shoulders or hips. Sleeping very well. Able to go back to sleep quicker now, after we let the dog out for a wee. The mattress is very heavy to lift to get the fitted sheets under. Needs two of us to move it down from the bedhead to make it again. Yes we use the handles.

Purchased in October 2020 at We got bed and base, after speaking on the phone, to sleeping duck direct. for A$1,950.00.

Heat RetentionYes
Ashley

AshleyWerribee

Revived not deprived!

I suffer from 3 bulging discs and a pinched nerve and our mattress was doing me no good. I would wake up in pain every morning and getting out of bed was a struggle. After hearing all the great reviews about Sleeping Duck (and their essentially risk free terms), we decided to give the Sleeping Duck a go. Every night, I just melt into bed and getting up in the morning is so much easier! I don't toss and turn as much as I used to and even hubby is on board with the new mattress! SO glad we gave the Duck a go!

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,450.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
James

JamesSouth East Queensland, QLD

So glad we bought this bed and mattress

We had an old bed and decided to buy a sleeping duck, heard all the reviews and I must say it’s the best thing I’ve done. We have the best night sleep now and want to buy one for my children now.

Vanessa B.

Vanessa B.Kingston 2604, ACT

Perfect from the very first night.

An incredibly supportive yet cosy mattress which I recommend to everyone. I picked medium and needed no adjustments. I’m so happy I purchased a wonderful sleeping duck mattress for myself.

A very good mattress

The ordering was simple straight forward,
The delivery was before its due date by a very nice delivery man
The instructions for opening were simple and easy to understand
The mattress is very good to sleep on although for me I think I would have liked to try it slightly firmer
The mattress to look at is let down by the piping/trim round the top edge which sticks up or out unevenly
when the bed is made-up the trim sticks up and the bed looks like it is sunken in the middle .
All in all a good product let down by something very simple to rectify

Nichole J

Nichole JGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Amazing sleep

Unbelievably comfortable mattress. I feel it’s definitely helped my sleep and I’m not as sore in the morning as I was previously on a basic spring mattress. Have recommended to friends and family

Purchased in September 2020.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Linda

LindaGippsland, VIC

Great to sleep in whether on our side or back

Mattress is very comfortable and supports us very well - we bought the firm mattress and put it onto our own base. One thing though, the actual mattress itself is very heavy and I have trouble tucking in the sheets - it weighs much more than our previous mattresses. While it's ok for us I don't think the mattresses are suitable for the elderly because they are so heavy

Purchased in October 2020 at sleeping duck online.

Sleeping PositionBack
Marise Story

Marise StoryGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Best buy so far very comfy.

The bed is very comfortable & supportive, I have purchased 5 mattresses in the last 5 years & I haven't been happy with any of them as I feel like I'm falling in a dip in the mattress, this mattress hasn't even dipped love it.
I have noticed that I do sleep a lot better in between waking up through the night being menopausal.
No sagging at all, we regularly turn the mattress which we have always done, its very comfortable.

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,500.00.

Petep

PetepGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Really cant believe it

The Mattress arrived promptly must admit you do need 2 people to get on the bed But I did it solo
My sleeping has improved vastly pity I have to get up at 3 am mother nature or I thing I would sleep right through .
The mattress is still retaining its firm nest I weigh 110 KG and it seems to support me well

Very happy

We’re very happy with the mattress – and base. The mattress is comfortable for both of us; one front sleeper (firm) and one side/back sleeper (medium). We both sleep well and feel good when we get up in the morning and this is an improvement over our previous mattress.
Too early to comment on durability but it certainly seems to be very well made.
Amazingly quick delivery – ordered the day before the long weekend and it arrived on the Tuesday.
Unpacking and assembly were very straightforward.

Heather M.

Heather M.Sydney, NSW

Best sleep in a long time...

Sadly our old mattress didn't even last 5 years and we hadn't had a good sleep in a while. My boyfriend has lower back issues and he has been waking up pain free since, we both have had nothing but quality sleep since. The mattress was easy to unpack, however there was a residual smell that was quite strong to begin with but wasn't noticeable after 4-5 days.

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,599.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Kat

KatSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great for couples

Initially I got some back pain whilst adjusting to the new mattress, but that has resolved now and I sleep very well on it now. I'm a dynamic sleeper, so my partner loves the Sleeping Duck because he can't feel my movements as much anymore. :)

Purchased in October 2020 for A$1,449.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Caused DiscomfortYes
Anette Pfister

Anette PfisterGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

We love the feel of the mattress! The half and half is perfect for us.

I suffer from arthritis, severe back pain and inflammation in my hip joints. Since getting the sleepy duck mattress I have no more pain when sleeping. It has just the right firmness to accommodate my sore joints.
My husband has no health issue but loves it just as much!
It is so durable that I can see myself sleeping happily for decades to come. Thank you Sleepy Duck!

Heat RetentionYes
Dianne Cl.

Dianne Cl.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Going to sleep quicker!

We have only had the mattress for 7 weeks but so far so good. We were pleased with the delivery service and it seems to be living up to it's reputation of a comfortable and supportive design. I have found that I get to sleep quicker as it is more comfortable than our old mattress and we are both trying each comfort level to make sure we choose the best one. Very pleased with our purchase! Thankyou Sleeping Duck.

Frequently Asked Questions about Sleeping Duck Mattress

How do I order a Sleeping Duck Mattress? Where do they deliver?

Sleeping Duck mattresses can be ordered online, and can be delivered to most Australian locations. They also have a limited selection of retail locations. You can order a Sleeping Duck mattress online from their online store (sleepingduck.com/au).

What does a Half-Half mean with a Sleeping Duck Mattress?

Sleeping Duck mattresses are customisable from the factory, meaning that different segments of the mattress can be softer or firmer to your preference. A Half-Half mattress means that one half of the mattress is medium, while the other half is firm. Contact Sleeping Duck at 1800 667 196 for more information.

How warm does a Sleeping Duck Mattress get?

As a hybrid mattress, the warmth of a Sleeping Duck mattress is generally between a spring-based mattress and a foam-based mattress. If you feel too warm, changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet can help.

Can I use with an electric blanket with a Sleeping Duck Mattress?

Sleeping Duck have stated that you can safely use an electric blanket with their mattresses. However, as sustained heat sources can soften memory foam, Sleeping Duck recommends that you only turn on your electric blanket for a couple of hours before you go to sleep.

Can I comfortably sleep on my side with a Sleeping Duck Mattress?

A Sleeping Duck mattress can be used with most sleep preferences, including with sleeping on your side. Side sleepers may mostly prefer the medium firmness configuration for their mattress.

Latest Consumer Questions

Jimbo

Jimboasked

Mattress

Finding the matrsss really hot with the pillow top can I flip it over and use the other side

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

We’re sorry to hear that you’re finding the Duck a little warm. As there is a layer of springs on the bottom of the Duck, we don't recommend flipping it upside down (we do suggest rotating it 180 degrees, to ensure the weight is evenly distributed on the springs)

There are a few things that can be done to minimise this discomfort like using breathable materials to promote airflow though, as any extra layers to the mattress may attribute to heat retention in the foams of your Duck.

Additionally we find that a firmer foam can ensure that your body sits more ‘on top’ of the mattress allowing more airflow to pass through. We’d love to get you sleeping comfortably so please get in touch with our team at SDHQ!

Warm regards,

Bella Norton

Bella Nortonasked

Firm Queen

How firm is firm? I really dislike a too soft mattress but also need it to be cool!
Does you product provide both of these criteria?
Bella Norton

Paul Ryan
Paul Ryan

Hi Bella,
I weight near 80kgs....the bed is just right....Goldilocks right...not too hard and not too soft.....

Hi Bella,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at SDHQ.

Great question! Firmness and comfort are very subjective to the individuals preferences and experiences of a mattress so it can be a little tricky to pin point.

We find the Firm does provide the perfect amount of support, paired with our Anti Gravity foam with provides the comfort and contouring to your body.

To begin with you will have the option of either Medium or Firm but after the initial 21 nights on your Duck, I’m pleased to say that we do offer an Extra Firm Precision Pad (as well as a Soft) as a free firmness adjustment.

In regards to heat retention, the foams within the Duck are air grown in a pressure chamber, this technique allows us to control certain variables and eliminate any imperfections. The foams in turn will then be 8x more breathable than latex and memory foams with an increased longevity and durability.

Additionally, our individually wrapped pocket springs are designed to move independently, helping eliminate partner disturbance and as well as promote air flow.

I hope this helps but please feel free to ask us any further questions!

Kind regards,

Ted Webster

Ted Websterasked

Mattress

Where can I find instructions for care and maintenance of our Sleeping Duck mattress?

Hi Ted,

Thanks for getting in touch here at SDHQ!

You can find the mattress care instructions on our website FAQ page here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/faq/#faq-mattress-cleaning

Additionally, we’d recommend rotating the mattress 180° once a month for the first three months, and at least every three months after that. This is to ensure for even weight distribution and help prevent any sagging or dipping.

I hope this has helped but please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions!

Warm regards,

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives

While Sleeping Duck have been in the boxed-mattress game for as long as any of the other titans, the 3rd quarter of 2019 has seen them really pick up steam in terms of popularity and brand recognition. We've taken a cut of 284 reviews who answered some of our optional questions to get an idea of what people think of their Sleeping Duck mattress.

The segment of reviews we have taken data from is comprised of 284 reviews published between Feb 15th and Aug 20th 2019. At the time of writing, this represents roughly 18% of the total number of Sleeping Duck Mattress reviews.

Is the Sleeping Duck Mattress good value for money?

Our reviewers gave the Sleeping Duck Mattress an extremely positive average rating of 4.7 for Value for Money. Most of the positive ratings came from users who also gave the mattress a high overall score. Of the 15 surveyed reviewers who gave an overall rating of 3 or lower, the average Value for Money rating was only 1.46.

Suitability for those with neck or back issues.

Of the 284 users surveyed, 158 stated they had pre-existing neck or back issues and 149 of them (94%) said that their Sleeping Duck mattress did not cause any additional discomfort.

Sleeping Hot

Only 15.5% of respondents (44 people) felt that their mattress retained excessive heat.

Sagging

Only 9 of 284 reviewers (3%) said they had noticed significant sagging in their mattress. This low rate may be due to Sleeping Duck's mattress design which uses both pocket springs and foam, while many other boxed-mattress providers use solely foam.

Sleeping Position

We didn't find a big difference between Front, Back, or Side sleepers enjoyment of the Sleeping Duck mattress - they all rated theirs very positively. Note: reviewers were able to select more than one preferred position.

Sleeping PositionAverage RatingNumber of Respondents
Front4.9627
Back4.6862
Side4.78205

Longevity

Mattresses should be designed to last, but even a well-made mattress can take some getting used to, especially if it's a different type than one you've previously used. 74% people indicated it only took them a few days adjust to their new Sleeping Duck mattress, while 13% took a couple of weeks. As is typical for this category, we did find indications of a trend where reviewers who give a lower overall score tend to have owned their mattress for longer than those who gave a higher score.

Wrapping Up

The Sleeping Duck range of mattresses are some of the highest-rated mattresses on ProductReview, and they offer a few unique features to stand out from other boxed-mattress companies such as a variety of firmness options and not going with an all-foam construction. The main gripes from the small number of negative reviewers seem to centre around the longevity of the mattress, which is a common theme across the entire mattress category. As always, have a read through the reviews, and if you have any questions, you can post them in our Q&A area and a Sleeping Duck representative or a helpful member of our community will get back to you.

Compare all 12 Sleeping Duck Mattress

Sleeping Duck Mattress Medium Queen

4.9
CategoryMattressesMattressesMattressesMattresses
Price (RRP) A$799.00A$899.00A$1,149.00A$1,449.00
Type HD Polyurethane Foam and Pocket SpringHD Polyurethane Foam and Pocket SpringHD Polyurethane Foam and Pocket SpringHD Polyurethane Foam and Pocket Spring
FirmnessMediumMediumMediumMedium
SizeSingleKing SingleDoubleQueen
Thickness31 cm31 cm31 cm31 cm
Country of ManufactureChinaChinaChinaChina
Manufacturer Warranty10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)
Compare all 12 Sleeping Duck Mattress