Mattress Buying Guide

Read now

Awesome, simple mattress and BEST customer service

Have had our Koala mattress for two years and it’s still going strong. Has been super comfortable and supportive, but also easy to move. We’ve had the sheets for the same amount of time and they are still as soft as they say we bought them! In addition, when needing to return a mattress (for financial reasons) their customer service was quick to act, sensitive and personable.

Purchased in September 2018.

Perceived FirmnessHard
Walt Oh

Walt OhGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Poor design, grows mould

• +2

Purchased in January 2020.

KoalaKoala

Do not buy! Only ok for two years, bad indentation after that

We purchased a king size Koala mattress in August 2017. It seemed fine for the first two years but now has terrible indentations, or 'troughs' as my partner and I like to call them.

This is despite us following all the care and handling instructions.

Clearly these are not made to last and the foam used must be of a poor quality to loose it's firmness so quickly.

We are very disappointed. Buyer beware!

We are based in NZ and Koala no longer trades here. I have emailed them to check whether we are under warranty but still waiting to hear back. Their phone number for NZ doesn't work, it dials then cuts out.

Purchased in August 2017 at Koala for A$1,150.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
Caused DiscomfortYes

Find out how Koala Mattress compares to other Mattresses

Never had a better sleep

Super comfy and supportive. Sometimes a bit too hard, but overall the best thing I have ever slept on! No sagging after almost a year. Super quick delivery. I do recommend 2 people to set it up-a bit heavy!

Purchased in January 2020 for A$799.00.

Kate M

Kate MHunter Region, NSW

We love our mattress!

We love our Koala mattress! It did take a few weeks to adjust to from our old firm spring one, but now it’s the most comfortable mattress! I love that I no longer feel my partner roll over in the night. Also, go someone who suffers from joint pain, it’s amazing! The mattress doesn’t push against my joints and cause pain - now to find a blanket that doesn’t cause downward pressure... We’re very happy with our mattress.

Purchased in October 2020 at koala.com for A$800.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Perceived FirmnessMedium

Fantastic product and Exceptional support team

Fantastic design and an exceptional customer experience from purchase all the way through to the support team. Sarah from support was an absolute legend in getting things organized for us. 5/5

Purchased in March 2020.

Perceived FirmnessSoft

A great investment for your sleep!

While it took a little while to get used to a foam mattress (after sleeping on innerspring our whole lives) we love it. It is super comfortable and supportive and we feel like we are sleeping better!

Purchased in April 2020 for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side

Bummer

Hey guys!

I was super excited to get my king size koala mattress and I’ve had it for about 3 years now.

Pretty quickly within starting to use it it began to sink in the middle (I’m a smol person lol). It’s also not very comfortable- a bit like sleeping on hard foam.

Weirdly- (maybe I’m crazy?!) none of my king fitted sheets will fit my king koala- which is crazy frustrating as well.

I haven’t contacted koala for a return because I’ve been busy and don’t really want another one of these. While the service and delivery is exceptional with this company- I wouldn’t recommend the mattresses.

Purchased in October 2017 at Koala Living Showrooms NSW.

Sleeping PositionSide
Adjustment PeriodI never got used to it!
Perceived FirmnessHard
Agnes

AgnesPerth, WA

Peaceful nights rest

I suffer from back problems and every other mattress I have had did not ease it.... Now with Koala I look forward to going to bed at night as I know I will have a good nights rest and not toss and turn.Thank you for your product and I imagine this is what cuddling a Kisla would be like

Purchased for A$800.00.

Monica H.

Monica H.

It’s like a great cuddle. The perfect balance of support & comfort

So easy to put together, I got the bed frame and mattress. It was as simple as LEGO. The mattress is so easy to move when putting in fitted sheets. The comfort level is five stars, just enough support covered in softness.

Sim

SimGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great for kids

Easy & speedy delivery.
Mattress going well, keeping shape. Using as part of first toddler bed, plan to use for awhile. Perfect softness and firmness for our kids. Sister has one too.

Purchased in May 2020.

Joanne

JoanneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

In Love with my new Koala bed!

I am loving my new koala bed. It's been over a month now and it's a dream. It's very comfortable. The base is super handy for storing. you can actually fit more than you realise underneath. I also purchased the sheets which are great as well.
The customer service was amazing as well. So friendly and helpful. I also had my old mattress and base taken away which was fantastic! Highly recommend!

Purchased in October 2020 at Koala Online Store.

Bianca

BiancaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wouldn't purchase again.

Sides collapse and already sagging at 7months old. Not good for bad backs. I feel like the mattress is abit smaller than a standard queen size?
They ask for reviews in the first week of purchase for a reason.
I don't recommend it.

Purchased in March 2020 for A$900.00.

Adjustment PeriodI never got used to it!
Caused DiscomfortYes
KoalaKoala

Don't notice it (spoiler: that's a good thing)

As soon as I started sleeping on this mattress I stopped noticing it was there—which is a win. I know that when I have slept on terrible or not-quite-right mattresses I couldn't stop noticing them. I am a terrible sleeper in general, but on this mattress I have slept uninterrupted through the night more frequently than I have done ever in my adult life. I rarely wake up with a sore back (my back is generally sore from sitting with my face in a computer all day).

Purchased in March 2019.

Review collected in partnership with Koala

King single mattress product is awesome !!!!

The delivery is fast and the mattress is very supportive and comfortable for both back and side sleepers. We just had a newborn and my wife used to sleep with the baby and the previous mattress was too soft.

Purchased in November 2020 for A$650.00.

Find out how Koala Mattress compares to other Mattresses

Okay product, great customer service

Ordering process and delivery was easy, fast and reliable. Mattress doesn't gass out too much initially, which is nice.
The mattress is very soft. That's of course subjective. The sides are too soft and its easy to slide off or roll off the edges.
The mattress DOES SAG. Do not believe fancy marketing slogans. It does sink in and sag. Eventually ended up returning the mattress after 80 days. Return process was easy and without any concerns. Refund came in same day. Excellent customer service.

Purchased in September 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Perceived FirmnessVery Soft
Gabrielle B.Koala
Sue

SueSouth East Queensland, QLD

• King

We love these mattresses

We have just ordered our 3rd Onebed mattress. So comfortable and so easy to place on the base. Ordering is a simple process and delivery is fast
Thanks for a great nights sleep. Now all our visitors can sleep well too!

Purchased in October 2020.

Diane W.

Diane W.Sydney, NSW

Now having the best sleep!

My old mattress did not help my back, always wakened up stiff and sore. Now, since getting my koala mattress, I am having no back issues like I did before, the mattress is very supportive but extremely comfortable. I am so happy with it.

Purchased in September 2020 at Koala Living Online Store.

Kylie

KylieCentral Queensland, QLD

Best Mattress Ever.

The Koala mattress is the best purchase I’ve made. It is so comfortable. I no longer wake up with sore shoulders and I’m finally sleeping better than I ever have.

Purchased in October 2020.

Stevie

SteviePerth, WA

Its as good as they claim!

Ive had a bad back as my spine had moved forwards changing to this mattress was part of helping me fix my back. I was less stiff in the mornings and it helped maintain the work I had done at the chiropractors and pilates.

Purchased in October 2020 at Koala.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Lorna D.

Lorna D.asked

Koala Mattress

Received my queen size mattress today and noticed that it was shorter than advertised. My mattress only measured 197cm instead of the 203cm advertised. Is this normal or will it expand the additional 5cm over the coming week?

G'day Lorna,

Thanks for reaching out and hope you're enjoying the sleeps on your new matty so far! You're spot on that it can take a couple of weeks sometimes to expand after it comes out of the box, however it shouldn't be too short! Our Customer Care team would be glad to chat through your mattress measurements and what you're finding at home so we can make sure you have a mattress that best suits you and your sleep :) Please reach out to us on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help!

Tess A.asked

Koala Mattress

Our Queen size koala mattress bought two years has sagging on both sides on the mattress, is there any way we can fix this as my husband has injured his back and is having trouble attaining any for of comfort?

G'day Tess,

You and your husband both deserve to be feeling your comfiest any night, let alone when battling a back injury too. Our 10 Year Warranty won't stand to see you with a sagging mattress and we'd love to see that we get you a supportive sleep as soon as possible! If you can please reach out to our Customer Care team on  1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com, we'd love to get a replacement out to you both and see you back to being as comfy as can be.

Tess A.

Thank you for your reply I will email the support team, Regards Tess A.

Mac.C

Mac.Casked

HI,
I received my koala mattress 6 months ago now and i'm not sure if its a coincidence or not but it developed yellow staining and various odors, and ever since then i have developed a skin issue (Psorisis) that i have never had before and cannot find a reason why. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Gabrielle B.Koala

G'day Mac,

This sounds uncomfortable and frustrating to sound the least mate, no matter how unusual or bizarre it is, thank you so much for reaching out and we'd love to get to the bottom of this situation! You definitely shouldn't be experiencing something less than comfy and our team is here for you if you would like to look into this more with us?

If you can please reach out to us on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help and investigate this further!

Alex B.
Alex B.

Hi Mac, I had yellow staining with my kid's mattress about a year back. The original Koala mattress protector just turned yellow in several areas after multiple washes. I contacted Koala support and they shipped a new mattress cover free of charge.

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Koala have been one of the major players in the boxed-mattress industry since it first began gaining traction in Australia. There are thousands of reviews on this page, so we've taken a cut of the most recent reviews and done a deep dive into the data from them. We'll use these reviews to answer some of the most pertinent questions regarding the Koala mattress.

The segment of reviews we have taken data from is comprised of 230 reviews published between Feb 6th and Aug 23rd 2019. At the time of writing, this represents roughly 8% of the total number of Koala Mattress reviews.

Is the Koala Mattress good value for money?

Our reviewers have given the Koala Mattress and average rating of 4.2 for Value for Money, which is very positive. Even a number of reviewers who gave an overall negative score still stated that the Koala represented good value for money.

Suitability for those with neck or back issues.

Of the 230 users surveyed, 94 stated they had pre-existing neck or back issues. Of these people, 85 of them (90.4%) said that their Koala mattress did not caused further discomfort.

Sleeping Hot

If you hate waking up during the night feeling too hot, this might be the mattress for you. 94 reviewers said they felt the mattress did not retain heat, compared with 39 who said it did (97 people did not respond to this question).

Sagging

In general, we found that the longer someone had owned their mattress, the more likely they were to complain about their mattress sagging. While only 35 reviewers said their mattress sagged, these people had owned their mattress for an average of 449 nights (just under 15 months), as compared to the 156 reviewers who had not noticed any sagging, who had on average owned their mattress for 79 nights (about 2.5 months).

How does it feel to sleep on?

Most reviewers agree with Koala's own assessment of their mattress as being of "Medium" firmness. You can see a breakdown below:

Perceived FirmnessNumber of Respondents
Very Soft4
Soft23
Medium127
Hard34
Very Hard7

Sleeping Position

There wasn't a significant difference between Front, Back, or Side sleepers - they all rated the mattress pretty positively. Note: reviewers were able to select more than one preferred position.

Sleeping PositionAverage RatingNumber of Respondents
Front4.323
Back4.062
Side4.2158

Longevity

Most people don't want to replace their mattress every year. Ethical consumption is becoming an increasing factor in purchasing decisions, and people expect their mattress to last. While 71% people indicated it only took a few days for them to adjust to their new mattress (as opposed to weeks or months), we did see a correlation between length of ownership and increased rates of dissatisfaction with the product. In general, reviewers who gave a lower rating were more likely to have owned the mattress for longer than the 120-night trial period. The 49 reviewers outside this trial period gave an average rating of 2.4 stars, while 176 reviewers still inside the trial period rated the mattress 4.6 stars.

The 29 reviewers who gave a 1-star rating had owned the mattress for an average of 14 months, while the 153 reviewers who gave 5 stars had owned the mattress for an average of 9 weeks.

Wrapping Up

While reviewers rate the Koala as great bang for your buck, and it seems like your bad back won't be any worse off for sleeping on it, we did notice that many positive reviews come from users who have owned the mattress for around 2 months. However, Koala do offer a limited 10 year warranty that covers physical flaws and visible indentation due to normal use, in addition to their standard 120-night trial period. As always, have a read through the reviews, and if you have any questions, you can post them in our Q&A area and a Koala representative or a helpful member of our community will get back to you.

Compare all 5 Koala Mattress
CategoryMattressesMattressesMattressesMattresses
Price (RRP) A$750.00A$850.00A$950.00A$1,050.00
Type HD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane Foam
FirmnessMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium Firm
SizeSingleKing SingleDoubleQueen
Thickness23 cm23 cm23 cm23 cm
Country of ManufactureAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustralia
Manufacturer Warranty10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)
Compare all 5 Koala Mattress