iRobot Roomba 700 Series

iRobot Roomba 700 Series

750, 760, 770, 775, 780 and 790

Works flawlessly as daily cleaner for over 6 years

Purchased locally in 2013.

Takes 5 minutes to clean robot. Cleans floorboard house (usually) daily for the last 6 years. It cleans for 30mins-1hr daily and is still going strong. Cleans very well...the canister is usually full of dust and hairs or quite full.

I have maintained it well, cleaning the cannister and brushes and air filters is quite fast with the provided brush and tools. I clean it almost after every use and wipe all surfaces. I figure with a bit of maintenance it will last longer and so far so good.

Parts are readily available on the net, and I have replaced the brushes few times (they are not expensive) and replaced the battery twice.

I have tried other less known brands with 1/3 the price which have lasted about 6 months each. IRobot has cleaned much better and lasted 6 years!

Very very happy.

This tops it all for return on investment!

Purchased in August 2013.

Noise Level
Ease of Programming / Scheduling
Battery Life
Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Wood
Good Morning netsurf Thank you for taking the time to review the iRobot Roomba. This is a great story to how a little maintenance to help you unit last for a very long time. Kind regards iRobot

Great product, love it!

When I moved in with my partner he already had the Roomba, to which I honestly made fun of and thought it was a terrible idea, I hated that it would come up behind me and whack me in the heels. However after a month or so I feel in love, I was used to lugging my Miele out of the cupboard and doing a vac around the house but god did I fall in love with this Roomba, I take it upstairs and have it running while I’m doing work downstairs and it stops itself from falling off the landing, it’s brilliant.
Very handy and even better having the timer run once a day while we’re at work. I love it!

The only downside is the price, if my partner hadn’t have already had it I wouldn’t have ever let him spend that much money on such a product! But so glad he did.

Purchased in January 2013 for $900.00.

Noise Level
Ease of Programming / Scheduling
Product is used: Several times a week
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles
System Errors Occasionally

better than expected

I bought this vacuum with a stack of award points about 4 years ago. I must say, I had little expectation from it. We locked it in every room and let it do its thing. We had been away and the house hadn't been vacuumed for 6 weeks. When the whole house was done, I revacuumed the house with the dyson power head. It still picked up quite a bit of flush, so initially I thought, not good. We now have the roomba run 3x per week and lock it in the bedrooms twice per week and it keeps everything clean. If we vacuum once per month with the dyson now it doesn't pick much more up.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Hi Naidon Thank you for reviewing your older Roomba. If it always great to hear when customers run their Roombas regularly how little they are requiring the hand held vac. Kind regards iRobot

Weirdly stupid

Use this on carpet. It comes out of its dock and spends literally five minutes banging around in a circle - maybe would have been longer but I gave up and moved it myself. It cleaned for ten minutes altogether before running out of batteries, certainly didn't go back to the dock to recharge. It certainly doesn't seem to be doing any kind of intelligent mapping. (NB I did buy this second hand but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it per se). Sort of pathetic to watch. A total waste of money except for slight amusement value.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Good Afternoon Wellbuggerme As this has been purchased second hand it is possible depending on the age the battery may need replacing. We have found that the iRobot Roomba batteries need to be replaced approx every 2-3 years. Only lasting a short period of time (ie 10 minutes) is the first sign. Kind regards iRobot

This is a great option, have 2!

I have 2 of these, they work an hour every day. Performance is great, keep the house looking perfect in between full house clean. We are on acreage with dirt driveway, without my iRobot I would be cleaning floors every day. They do a great job, not too loud and they go from tiles to carpet and adjust to suit, 4 bedroom and office on a full charge between them

Date PurchasedDec 2013
We are happy to hear your Roomba 780's are getting the job done at your home. I could just image what life would be like without have a dirt driveway. Kind regards iRobot

Very handy to have for a busy home

This has been the greatest invention. Very handy that you can set days and times for the irobot to turn on itself and clean. Great for cleaning under tables and beds. I have found if i turn it on every 2 days to clean, the house look rather clean without a proper vacuum.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Hi Cam Thank you for your review, these are great especially when scheduled on a regular bases. Kind regards iRobot

Nearly good

We bought the model 780 from Costco. The price was good so we thought, let's see what Roombas can do. It's quite fun but the cleaning algorithms are rather random and it can take quite a while to find certain spots in a room. It's likely to get stuck when climbing over chairs with bar bases, and often gets stuck on our sliding door frame woodwork. The most annoying problem is that its dust container is so small it's nearly useless, if you want the Roomba to clean carpeted rooms. In complex house layouts it can get lost and not find its way back to the charger. It also has some difficulty in getting onto its charger occasionally. The barrier units work, but frankly they're not worth the effort, I've used bits of timber to restrict the Roomba's access and that's a lot more effective. It is most certainly NOT a set and forget gadget if you have carpets or complex floor layouts. Apart from these negatives, it does clean the floor quite well. I'd not buy another 780, but the question doesn't arise as it's discontinued. By the looks of things, the new 980 model is much better. However, if that doesn't have a much bigger dust compartment, I'd avoid that, too. I can find no information of dust compartment volumes. Apart from these negatives, it does clean the floor quite well.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Good Morning dcnicholls Thank you for reviewing the Roomba 780. All models carry the same sized bin compartment at 0.6 liters. We do recommend cleaning these out after every use to get the best out of your Roomba. The Roomba 980 is a more advanced model with 5x more power than the older 780, carpet boost and recharge and resume. Guaranteeing it will clean the entire floor during its cycle. If you have any future questions, or would like to contact talk with us directly, please call 1300 727 421 or email service@ixl.com.au. Kind regards iRobotThanks. Very useful information.

Been put through hell and this machine still rocks!

My little Roomba 780 has had quite the life, and yet still works fine!
I bought it brand new off gumtree in 2014 and immediately fell in love with it. It only cost me $500 and I was told it was an “unwanted gift”. I don’t know who wouldn’t want one of these cause this thing is boss!
6 months after I got it we had the first problem. Roomba was set to go on while I was at work, and during its run managed to push shut the laundry door where the cat’s litter box was. Well poor kitty had to have an upset tummy that day and did a nice big bout of diarrhoea outside the door. Which Roomba then ran over. There was poop everywhere - the carpet, tiles, and all throughout the Roomba. I came home from a 12 hour shift that today and actually contemplated just abandoning my apartment and starting anew, rather than tackle the mess. Not a fun time let me tell you. After gagging my way through cleaning my house I attacked the Roomba and got (I think) all the poop out. But Roomba was dead. Sad face. I took it to bits and discovered the motherboard has gotten wet and was ruined.
I tried to send it away but no one wanted to fix it after my story, so it sat on my floor for a year. A whole year! Until I discovered that I could buy a replacement motherboard online! So I ordered one on eBay and then managed to replace it myself which is amazing cause technology and I generally aren’t friends. Sure enough, Roomba worked again! Life was great again, and it went back to slogging away every second day to clean up the never ending cat hair that clogs up my life.
Roomba had another close call when roommate’s cat peed on the floor and Roomba ran over it last year. After soaking the brushes in bleach, mopping everywhere, cleaning Roomba as carefully as possible, and mopping again, the cat pee was gone. Roomba was fine, and life continued. Rest assured, this episode was no where near the nightmare of the Night of Poop as it’s referred to now.
Since then, I’ve replaced all brushes and the battery with replacements from eBay. The only issues I have are the “full bin” light is constantly on, even when freshly emptied. It also sometimes struggles to align itself properly on its charger but always gets there eventually. My only legit complaint is that it’s a fairly noisy machine, so I normally put it on when I’m out, or out of the room as you can’t watch tv or listen to music over it that easily.
This Roomba has had a damn tough life, yet still runs consistently, and if it does die I’m sure I can try to fix it again which is awesome. I refer to Roomba as my best friend and tell everyone to buy one. They are tough little beauties, that’s for sure! Just for gods sake, pray nothing poops on your floor while it’s running!

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Good Morning Laura I am happy to hear the Night of the Poop has ruined your life with your Roomba. I will keep my fingers crossed this never happens to you again. In relation to the bin full symbol there is a dirt detect sensor below your bristle and flexible brush. If you clean this with a pencil eraser or scotch brite sponge you will find this should clear. Kind regards iRobot

Great robot

I bought this,after my back surgery was sceptical but I love it it gets used everyday in our 3 bedroom 1 family room house on tiled, carpets and rugs never let's me down and I don't know where it finds the dirt. Only take my big vacuum out to do the soft furnishings. I will buy another when this one is done but it's still going strong after 4 years

Date PurchasedJul 2013
Good Morning Helen Thank you for the positive review of the Roomba 780. We are happy to hear it has been helping you out since your surgery. Kind regards iRobot

My lifesaver

I've had my Roomba for about 5-6 years now and it's the best thing ever...I bought it when seriously ill and couldn't vacuum so bought it thinking it will be better than nothing..wow I was so impressed with it I now only have that and a Hoover stick cleaner as it does such a great job..it's fast powerful and easy to clean tells you if you have a problem puts itself away and recharges but you can use it even if you are a technophobe as you just push auto and away it goes..it untangles phone cords etc and stops and calls you if kids socks or animal toys etc get caught up... It's never broken my numerous ornaments on the floor as it's quite gentle even tho is bounces off things... My family thought I was mad paying so much for it but after staying with me for a week they all went home and bought them for their homes so really that says it all.... It does leave rubber marks sometimes on my polished floors but they rub off with a cloth as they aren't scratches and even tho mine is old now and my battery was getting slow I had no problem getting replacement battery and accessories for it...If you can afford it I think they're the best..I also have a Stirling from Aldi's which I've reviewed as well and it's fine for the price but this really is the top of them all in my opinion...I will buy another one if this breaks down but I doubt if it will as it hasn't lost any power or suction in all these years of work and my plain cream carpets and mats still look like new considering I live on sand this is pretty amazing..it also has a handle on the top for easy handling with one hand...

Date PurchasedOct 2011
Good Morning Isajo Thank you for the awesome review of the Roomba 780. This is a great unit and is fantastic for those who can't physically do the cleaning or like me, don't want too. If it great to hear you have found purchasing accessories for your Roomba easy to do. If you have any future questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at service@ixl.com.au. Kind regards iRobot

We called ours “ Carmel “

It was Scary!
Lying peacefully our german kept getting a rude awakening as the machine tried to trundle over her....
4 years of endless work our 750 model has given up her ghost, worn out rubbers on her feet, whisker sweepers gogs gone, and companies unrealistic . Return policy( no local guys).

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Good Afternoon Edwin Power We are sorry hear the experience you have had with your Roomba 750. Based on the information you have supplied below you may just need to replace the Wheels, and side brush which can be done via our online store www.shopirobot.com.au. The beauty with the iRobot brand is that these have been designed for customers to purchase replacement parts and fit in home. Saving customers time and money on sending their roomba's off for servicing. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at service@ixl.com.au Kind regards iRobot.

Excellent Investment

We bought IRoomba 780, I believe in 2014, excellent product and we are always surprised, even after proper vacuuming and moping Roomba is still able to pick up unbelievable amount of dust, as it gets to hard to reach places. There are newer version of Roomba and definitely I will be upgrading my soon. Its an expensive machine but again its worth the investment.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Good Morning Chetan Thank you for your review. It amazing how no matter how you clean the Roomba's still manage to clean up even more. If you have any future questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at service@ixl.com.au. Kind regards iRobot

Great product

This is a great product for someone who does not want to vacuum regularly and it's great that you don't have to watch it in case it falls down the stairs for example as it is spatially aware. You should not rely on this solely to vacuum the floors though as it does not get into all the nooks and crannies.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Good Morning tals18 Thank you for your review. If you have any future questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at service@ixl.com.au with ref: C0145076. Kind regards iRobot

Best thing ever

I love the Roomba 780 it's great on my floors I have carpet tiles and floor boards it's never missed a beat I have a indoor cat and dog that shed hair and this is the answer totally happy I've had it for about 4 years now I have replaced the battery with a non genuine one so my only negative feedback about is that it's not as quiet as they say it is.

Date PurchasedAug 2013
Good Afternoon Lorna We are happy to here your Roomba is still going strong after 4 years. Kind regards iRobot

DO not purchase IRobot Roomba, it is a waste of money!

I have such a bad experience with iRobot Roomba, never wrote a negative report about a product but I have to make an exception & share my experience so hopefully some of you who still thinks of investing your money in that product …will think twice before clicking the “purchase button”
I bought my IRobot Roomba a bit more than one year. Few months after I purchased it, the Robot stopped finding its way back to the docking station. I complained multiple times at customer service though they were making me try different things with the fire walls & with the cables …to place it in a different position …in a different room & so on. Eventually after I reconfirmed that the product is constantly lost, they sending me a docking station. The same repeated unfortunately after I realized that even the new docking station doesn’t really help so they sent me a second one, confirming that this is the problem.
They really took their time even with the sendings & thus the one year was over. As a result now after the year was over they agreed to double-check the product & it is not a surprise that I have to end up paying quite some money as the battery is bad. It has been since the beginning but they never wanted to check it!
Such disappointment! Save yourself the money, the headache of speaking to customer service & just don’t buy that ….. iRobot Roomba is a waste of money!

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Hi Swdageor, we are disappointed to hear of your experience and take your comments seriously. Please contact our Customer Care team on 1300 727 421, or email your details to service@ixl.com.au with "Product Review Customer" in the subject line. Our team are will discuss a possible remedy to the Roomba problem. Kind regards iRobot Customer Care

Disappointed - malfunctioning after 7 months of purchase

I loved the Roomba 700 when I first purchased it - thought it was the answer to my cleaning nightmares. But...a mere 7 months after purchase and it is not working very well. It only cleans within a metre of the dock (even though it is on normal clean mode), it cannot dock properly and the dock light flashes throughout the cleaning cycle. We have looked after it; it is used in an open plan house on floorboards. I have cleaned it and changed the filter, as per the instructions, but it is not working. I feel rather cheated as it cost us $800....could have hired a clearer cheaper than that!

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Good afternoon Domestic Goddess, thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are sorry to hear that your Roomba is not performing as it should be. We provide a one year warranty on all Roomba's sold through our network of retail partners. You have mentioned in your post that your Roomba is only 7 months old, we agree that it should not be malfunctioning. We have an in house technician available and a customer care team who may be able to help identify the cause of the problem. Can you please get in touch by calling 1300 727 421 or send an email to service@ixl.com.au with your contact details and include in the subject line "Product Review Customer - Roomba". We look forward to resolving this quickly for you. I-Robot Customer Care

Best Robot vacuum!! Worth the extra $$$

Amazing robotic vacuum that has serviced our house daily for over two years.. With two indoor pets, I don't know what I'd do without it. Replaced my Dyson with this, and it's miles better! Easy to empty, easy to set on schedule, and easy to maintain! We purchase extra warranty but never needed to use it, although I would do the same if I had my time over, just as insurance.

Time saver. Love it.

I absolutely love this product. It is now four years old...and is looking tired (Handle is broken)..but still amazes me daily how much dirt, hair, bits and bobs that it manages to pick up. I run it constantly. It is noisy so I try to run it when we are out of a room. I have three children (6, 5, 5) and they generate a LOT of mess. I seriously think that it saves me an hour a day. The other tip is if things stop working..just purchase the replacement part online and replace yourself. Very easy and much cheaper than getting repaired elsewhere. I highly recommend this product.

Bought from TV Shop waste of money

Used to turn on at night randomly, even with resetting it everyday. Purchased it from TV Shop 6 months later the handle broke on it and it wasn't vacumming at its best, it went in for repairs and came back the same. I tried tiredlessly to resolve this problem with TV Shop but they ignored me until my warranty was up then contacted me saying warrenty has expired and they can no longer assist in repairing this item for me. Paid over a $1000 for a vacuum that lasted 6 months. I ended up donating it to a family in need.

A Pleasant Surprise

A vacuum cleaner that cleans efficiently and thoroughly without the owner having to lift a finger. Seems the stuff of dreams and I didn't really expect that there was such a machine on the market. My thoughts were - how could a tiny machine clean a thick carpet covered in cat hair and also clean and tiled area of around 100 square metres, all in one go. Well this machine does it supremely well. The Roomba removed, I can safely say 100% of the cat fluff on the carpet and didn't miss anything on the tiled floor, and I was just amazed watching the machine skirt along the walls and around the table legs. The software in this machine is very good. We program it to run at 10am on Mondays and Fridays while we're at work, and it just does its job. I paid $650 for our Iroomba 780 new, which I believe is a lot of money for a vacuum machine, but it does what it says on the box. Cleaning is a breeze, and its completely silent - cos we're not at home when it runs :-)

Just wanted to add some more relevant info - The amount of design work that went into this machine is quite astounding. Cleaning of all the components is easy (with the supplied cleaning tools). All the rollers just come out easily and can be completely cleaned (all hair removed). Front wheel is easily removed for cleaning as well. I'd put this up there with the Dyson (technology wise).

* December 2015 Update - Still running flawlessly twice a week after almost 2 years.
Efficient and Thorough
Cost

Hi , my Roomba has a blue key showing on the dial can you tell me what this means please? I am very happy with my little friend and helper and will miss his work sounds. Regards Ingrid
Good Morning Ingrid I believe the symbol you are referring to is the "Dirt Detect". Is advises the area the Roomba is cleaning need to be gone over multiples times. However, you may also find this may appear if the sensor inside the Roomba needs to cleaning. This can be done by removing the rollers underneath you will see a bronze coloured sensor. We recommend cleaning this with a scotch brite sponge (dry) or a pencil eraser. Kind regards iRobotThank you Rebecca all fixed now. Regards Ingrid

dust bin not collecting. Have put new brushes and filters on,cleaned but still not working. Can you think what i might need to replace to make it work.. Thanks
HI Unhappy, If you turn the Roomba on and place your hand behind the bin, if you feel air coming out the cleaning head needs replacing, if not air, the bin needs to be replaced. Kind regards iRobotThank you yes I have air coming out. so that’s the part that holds the brushes in that I need to replace?? ThanksHI Unhappy, My apologies for the delay. Yes the part the holds the brushes (21917 for $105.00 plus P&H). This will so come with a bristle brush and flexible brush. Orders can be placed on www.shopirobot.com.au or via 1300 727 421. Kind regards iRobot

My roomba will not go back on my area rug after it gets off of it. The carpet edge must be too high. Any suggestions?
Good Morning Velann D Thank you for your questions, is it possible to send us a photo of the rug so that we can review before answering. This way we can give you the best possible response. Our email is service@ixl.com.au. Kind regards iRobotI sent an email with the picture. Sorry, it took me so long to answer.

iRobot Roomba 760iRobot Roomba 770iRobot Roomba 780iRobot Roomba 790iRobot Roomba 750iRobot Roomba 775
CategoryRobot Vacuum CleanersRobot Vacuum CleanersRobot Vacuum CleanersRobot Vacuum CleanersRobot Vacuum CleanersRobot Vacuum Cleaners
Charging Time3hours3hours3hours3hours3hours3hours
HEPA Filter YesYesYesYesYesYes
Weight3.81kg3.81kg3.81kg3.81kg3.81kg3.81kg
Price (RRP)$719$779$999
Replaced byiRobot Roomba 800 SeriesiRobot Roomba 800 SeriesiRobot Roomba 800 SeriesiRobot Roomba 800 SeriesiRobot Roomba 800 SeriesiRobot Roomba 800 Series

Download manual