Single, Semi-Double, Queen, King

Mattress Buying Guide

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Adjustment Period
  • Pre-existing Neck / Back Issues Yes (24) · No (30)
  • Caused Discomfort Yes (2) · No (54)
  • Heat Retention Yes (16) · No (22)
  • Sagging Yes (1) · No (43)
  • Perceived Firmness

Ruairidh

RuairidhNew South Wales

Far better than a bed

Purchased in August 2020 at Japanache for $1,146.00.

Stacey S.

Stacey S.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Amazing bed - nuff said!

My partner and I recently purchased a semi-double futon and quilt set, and it has well and truly exceeded our expectations. The quality of the product is outstanding and easily suits our needs--whether we are using it to watch television in comfort together, or if my partner is sleeping on it at night.

I cannot recommend a futon more for those who are looking to save space and sleep on a firmer style bed. The team at Japanache were fantastic and super helpful when it came to assisting us with making our choice of mattress size and quilt style, and we very much hope to shop with them again and soon!

Purchased in March 2021.

Grant

GrantMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Very comfortable, already improving my sleep quality

This is the most comfortable I have been in a long time. I have slept on the floor (on a thin mat) for 3-4 years, and while that is great for body alignment, it is very tough to get a deep sleep. The last year my sleep has been deteriorating rapidly, I think it was due to me having to wake up every time I need to move body positions (since its an effort to roll over with no support). I have been sleeping on this futon for about a week now, and my sleep has greatly improved due to the comfort it provides, and it is still great for your body alignment (even better than on the floor, which is just too extreme).

Find out how Japanache Futon compares to other Mattresses

As good as I'd hoped it would be!

I made the switch to a shikibuton after my sagging sprung mattress began to aggravate the bulging disks in my spine. The firm surface allows my spine to be supported all through the night and I find I am less wakeful. It did take a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to the new surface, and it's important to 'sun' the futon every week so it airs out and plumps up.
As a bonus, the futon is easy to fold up and move, leaving me with more floor space during the day, and I no longer need to plan to lift or disassemble a cumbersome bed frame next time I move house.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Purchased in February 2021 at Japanache for $600.00.

richo.sally

richo.sallyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

No pain in mornings

I have scoliosis and have found I am not waking up with pain. My previous mattress was too soft whereas this seems to help my spine elongate. Great quality, brilliant service and information from Richard. I would highly recommend. I doubt we'll ever go back to a traditional mattress.

Purchased in March 2021 at japanache.

Excellent advice and service from Richard at Japanache.

Purchased in February 2021 at Japanache.

April L.

April L.Sydney, NSW

Even better than expected!

The futon feels much more cushioned than expected, and easy to fold up and store each day and lay out again each night.

I suffer from lower back and hip pains, but have been able to sleep comfortably on the firm futon.

Purchased in March 2021.

carmenmartin

carmenmartinSydney, NSW

Fantastic. Best mattress ever

Purchased in March 2021 for $789.00.

Jane

Jane South Australia

Converted

I ordered the futon convinced that sleeping this way would be beneficial. Its so flexible too if we have visitors as we only have a smallish apartment. I'm planning to order another in the near future. The whole process couldn't have been simpler and interstate delivery fast too

Purchased in February 2021 at Japanache for $680.00.

Love it.

My husband and I really enjoy sleeping on the firmer surface.
Body feels much better upon waking. We both find we are not so stiff.
I have transitioned onto this bed right in the middle of my third trimester of pregnancy so not the easiest time! but I am still thankful for the change.

Purchased in January 2021 at Japanache for $900.00.

Super reliable service & great product quality

Super reliable service & great product quality. The futon mattress seems of high production standard and quality materials. Service was very helpful and genuine. Delivery was very quick and as promised.

Great product - exceeds expectations

I have recently purchased a 'futon set' from Japanache. The product exceeds expectations. As important as the product is the process to arrive at the purchase decision. Richard and his staff have a deep product knowledge and customer service focus (took the time to listen to the customer (me) and subsequently provide alternatives and recommendations). Their professionalism is to be commended as it is unfortunately not that common.

Purchased in February 2021.

Very authentic

Very happy with my Futon purchase. The ease of this transaction and quality of the mattress stood out to me for this purchase. Freight time to my location was also great.

Purchased in January 2021.

Shimah

ShimahKimberley, WA

We ordered from Japanche for delivery to Broome, WA. We were satisfied that goods were sent without delay and items received in good order. Very happy with the product. Would recommend purchases to others.

Purchased in October 2020 for $1,500.00.

Mmag

MmagGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great product!

The payment was easy to process and shipping was fast. The quality of the futon is good and it's comfortable to sleep on, I am really happy with my purchase.

Purchased in November 2020.

Find out how Japanache Futon compares to other Mattresses

For those who move frequently

We have recently moved to Queensland with what we considered essential. Our old less than 5 year old mattress was too bulky and heavy to put in the box trailer that we used for the move. The futon fitted the bill, light and can be folded. We have been sleeping on it for 2 1/2 weeks now and have had no problems. I enjoy the feeling of the mattress after it has been aired for a few hours; all fluffed up. There is no chance of falling out of the bed, and it allows for regular exercise of getting up off the floor.

The delivery was speedy and I got an email advising me to contact the carriers if the delivery day was not convenient for me.

Purchased in November 2020 for $600.00.

Ant T.

Ant T.Sydney, NSW

Easy to deal with, great product !

It was easy to deal with them, good communication, and got what I wanted - a genuine Japanese futon. Clear instructions were provided, to make it easy to set everything up and keep it in good condition.

Purchased in November 2020 for $700.00.

John

JohnGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great product

Small packaging comes expands to something amazing. Has been such a comfortable nights sleep and would highly recommend to anyone. I usually can't wait to go to sleep and it has helped reset my body clock. Comes with a cover that fits perfectly and is made from a nice material.

Purchased in August 2020 at Japanache for $760.00.

J-kun

J-kunHunter Region, NSW

Sleeping like a baby

I had been wanting a futon for a couple of years to restore some nostalgia from when I lived in Japan, but also for better postural support and overall health. Richard was very humble and helpful and answered all my questions. I ended up going with a semi-double futon with some tatami mats to put it on. The overall setup looks great, but what's better is that I'm sleeping great! The first few nights were a bit rough, but surely enough you settle into it as your body adjusts, and now I'll never go back to a conventional Western bed. Highly recommend :)

Purchased in October 2020 at Japanache.

Vincent

VincentSydney, NSW

Back Pain gone

Purchased in October 2020.

Amani

Amaniasked

Semi-Double

What websites or stores can i find futon mattresses on that arent crazy high in pricing

www.japanache.com.au
If we are out of your price range then try looking for stores that don't sell Premium Futons made by an award-winning master-craftsman in Japan.
Work out what you are willing to spend on something that you will use for 1/4 - 1/3 of your day and take it from there.

Peter Haiasked

King

Hi there,
There are extra king size mattresses 203cmx203cm.
Is there a extra king size in futon..?

Peter

Hi Peter,
We can make any size futon you want.
Custom orders are sent directly from the factory in Japan to you.
Please contact the shop via email of phone if you'd like to order one.
We have a container leaving very soon.
Richard

Thank you Richard.,
What would be the cost and approximate time frame that i can receive the futon.

Bets regards,
Peter

Richard C.Japanache

I'm in Japan right now. You will need to contact the shop for that information. 07 5591 5088

Noelasked

Futon

Hello. Thinking of buying Tatami mat,Shikibuton,Kakebuton etc. Are they made of unbleached 100% organic Japanese cotton. Is tatami mat made from rice straw?

Hi Noel,
Thanks for your question.
First of all, there is no cotton industry in Japan. They import all their cotton. If they have a field full of water it will have their heavily subsidised rice growing in it. Our award-winning futon manufacturers, source the best cotton available for futons in Japan. It is an unbleached, organic Mexican cotton. this is far better than the standard cotton used in Japan and 100% fresh. Most futons in Japan use recycled cotton. Our mattresses are made using the Mexican cotton which is blended with 10% polyester to keep it cooler, slow down the compaction rate and increase product longevity.
Our tatami are made using rice straw and covered with igusa (a sea grass).
All of this information is on our website for everyone to see (www.japanache.com.au)
Please call our shop when you decide to purchase.

Noel

Thank you for your informative response. I will be in touch to make my purchase

Get an answer from our members and Japanache representatives

Compare all 4 Japanache Futon