Japanache Futon

Adjustment Period
  • Days (109)
  • Weeks (16)
  • Months (1)
Pre-existing Neck / Back Issues Yes (59) · No (59)
Caused Discomfort Yes (3) · No (119)
Heat Retention Yes (38) · No (51)
Sagging Yes (2) · No (100)
Perceived Firmness
  • Very Hard (11)
Supportive for back
Easy to care for
Warm and comfortable
See the Best Mattresses in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Japanache Futon162 reviews
rubykanuby
rubykanuby

Futon and tatami

The futon is comfortable to sleep on, although it is very firm I don't have trouble sleeping or wake up uncomfortable. It's not too heavy to manage and I'm enjoying this style of bed seeing as I can roll it up in the day. The customer service and communication was great and everything arrived quickly. Show details
Cabe W.
Cabe W.

Good product, reliable company

The order arrived promptly and as advertised. I have had absolutely no troubles so far and the company deeply values their customers, as made apparent by their consistency in communication and follow up emails. Definitely recommend a purchase. Show details
M W Northern Rivers NSW
M W Northern Rivers NSWNSWRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Good Solid Sleep

My husband and I initially purchased our futon to free up space, however, being able to air it in the sun also appealed to us immensely.
Initially, I thought it would take some time to become accustomed to sleeping on it so was pleasantly surprised when the first night and subsequent nights we both drifted off to sleep within minutes and slept soundly - it felt so natural and comfortable.
The beautiful design print also complements our decor perfectly.
Thank you Jananache for a superb product with excellent customer service and speedy reliable delivery. Show details
Derry S.
Derry S.VICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC
  Semi-Double

Wasn't sure if it would be for me, but I love it!

If you've been considering a Futon dont look past Japanache, great customer service and absoluetly stunning quality. Show details
AL.H.
AL.H.WAPerth, WA
  King

Exactly what I've been looking for

Have been looking for futon mattress that can be easily aired out and rotated, and also being a genuine Japanese futon is a big plus. Even though we got King size, it's easy to move in and out. Comfortable sleep without all the fuss (long time floor sleeper), for others you may need to buy 2 if you want extra comfort. Taking care of it, will in return take care of you. Payment was easy, Richard and Naomi were very helpful and delivery was quick. Show details
JBaker
JBakerTASSouth-East, TAS2 posts

Amazingly comfortable!

Richard was really helpful and informative over the phone organising delivery of our King size futon to Tasmania. It arrived surprisingly quickly and looks beautiful. We have had to place another layer underneath the futon to accommodate our bodies, but in doing so, it has become the most comfortable bed my partner and I have ever slept on. Highly recommend it! I have ongoing back issues and have found myself getting out of bed with much less stiffness, no pain, and on some days, no stiffness at all. This has been the first time in over a decade, so I am very happy! Show details
Ruth Robertson
Ruth RobertsonQLDCentral Queensland, QLD

My daughter loves it

Purchased for my daughter. She says it smells nice and clean and natural. I did a phone order, great service and very prompt delivery, really appreciated. Thanks. Show details
Monika Morita
Monika MoritaNSWIllawarra, NSW

Amazing quality futon

Purchased recently futon, and I have been looking to buy one for a while now and I'm so glad I chose to buy from Japanache as the quality is outstanding, it's very comfortable (I used to sleep on futon before so can compare). Has beautiful print and I couldn't be happier!
Arrived very quickly and customer service was absolutely amazing! Show details
Niponphile
Niponphile
  Queen

First one was so good, I bought a second one

Very happy with the futon and service provided. Futon arrived the day after ordering it. I bought a Futon a couple of months ago but was so impressed with the quality, I bought a second for a guest bedroom. I now have a slice of Japan in Australia Show details
Beth
Beth

Lovely quality, fantastic service

My futon was delivered promptly and with great communication. It is an authentic, well-made futon and I am having the beat sleeps on it! Show details
Ebony
Ebony
  King

Extremely glad i did my research and got my mattresses from Japanache

Excellent quality and communication. Even when having issues with shipping, always kept in touch and was quick to respond.
I have bought 2 mattresses over the last 5 years and ive always been extremely happy with them. Never found any faults or issues with the mattresses.
I originally bought this to help with consistent back, neck and hip issues i was experiencing with mainstream mattresses. Show details
Dylan
Dylan2 posts
  Queen

Extremely happy with the Futon & my quality of sleep!

I have been sleeping on the floor for a long time with a standard cheap foam mattress, but decided to take the leap and purchase a traditional Japanese futon mattress. My sleep quality is high and my body is free from aches and pains compared to sleeping on the mainstream western mattresses. What I love most is the process of caring for the mattress, once every two weeks I hand it outside on a sunny day and whack it with a cricket bat. Taking care of the thing that we spend so much of our time on & rest our bodies on, certainly feels right and healthy. I will be investing in a tatami matt very soon! Show details
DarrenWAPerth, WA2 posts

Dude, it's amazing

Honestly, couldn't ask for better customer service and post-service care from Japanache. They're friendly, professional and genuinely passionate about their product.

I got my futon set two weeks ago and once you follow their comprehensive product care plan, taking care of the futon became really easy. You can immediately tell what you received is of high quality standard, it feel good and my back has been feeling really good since.

Highly recommended, you won't be disappointed. Show details

Jane E.
Jane E.

Simply no comparison

I've been a customer of Japanache for many years and will continue to be so. We sleep on a queen futon and it's the best thing we've ever done. I have endometriosis and sleeping on the futon (with a heated throw on top) has really helped my lower back/sacral area pain. We have a senior dog who can't get easily up and down a western bed, and a labrador currently recovering from surgery and they both love the futon and refuse to be dislodged! Richard is really knowledgeable about the things he sells, and he also makes sure that you don't have to worry about delivery. Please do try the futon- you will not be disappointed. Show details
NeridaACTCanberra Central 2602, ACT5 posts

It’s the real deal!

Authentic, comfortable, lightweight futon. Excellent quality product and great service. Far superior to Zentai Living futons which are none of the above.
Highly recommended for a very good night’s sleep!! Thankyou Japanache. Show details

Melissa J.
Melissa J. · Futon

Hi there, I am wondering if a futon would be suitable for myself, perhaps not as it seems you need a whole set up to get the most out of the futon…

I move houses fairly frequently and also am considering living in a van for a while so the versatility of being able to fold up a mattress for moving and more space is ideal for me. Would it be very uncomfortable without a tatami etc?

Thank you.

Darren

It be pretty perfect for on the move living. Though, I recommend adding one of those memory foam mattress you get from swags below the futon for extra support. And make sure to keep the futon dry and sun bath on the reg.

Nerida

The Japanache futon would be suitable, it is lightweight and I sleep on mine just on the carpet on the floor and find it cosy and comfortable. It comes with a cover and I just add my pillow and doona. Easy.

Japanache
Japanache   DM

There possibly isn't a better alternative for your needs. You don't need tatami mats. We have hundreds of customers who use our mattresses in cars, boats, campervans, tiny homes etc that didn't purchase tatami mats.

Marie T. · Futon

Hi. I'm wondering about the idea mentioned on the website of putting the tatami mat and futon on top of a bed frame, the website states that the bed sized mats will fit on queen and king size beds. I'd like to do this to keep the sheets etc from draping on the floor. I've been looking at bed sizes and they don't seem to match up with the bed sized tatami mats. Has anyone tried this? Any advice or experiences appreciated. Thank you, Marie

Eos

Japanache
Japanache   DM

contact the shop 07 55915088

Features:

• The Japanache Futon (like all authentic Japanese futons) consists of two parts, a shikibuton (mattress) and a kakebuton (quilt or doona). These futons are imported in limited quantities from a small family business in Shikoku.
  • They’re lightweight (ranging from 6.8 to 13.7kg), making them ideal for people with back problems, who don’t need to handle a 30 to 40kg Australian-style futon.
  • This futon is easy to care for - it requires sunning, airing and beating to get rid of the bugs and mould that live in all mattresses.
  • Japanese futons, unlike foam-cored mattresses, don’t trap unwanted moisture within them, preventing the creation of an environment where mould and bugs thrive in the first place.
  • They come in single, semi-double, queen, and king sizes.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that their futon was extremely supportive, and helped relieve back pains and stiffness by encouraging proper alignment when they slept. One reviewer said that using their futon was “like sleeping on a firm cloud”.
  • They also appreciated how easy it was to care for their futon, saying that airing it out was simple to do.
  • According to reviewers, the futon retains heat well, keeping sleepers warm and comfortable.
Compare all Japanache Futon listings