Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 / KRC8

Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 / KRC8

KRC5 (5 Cup), KRC8 (8 Cup) and KRC80CHO (8 Cup)

Owned 4 of these, all 4 burnt out with less than a dozen uses.

Purchased one of these a few years ago. It 'burnt out' before 12months. Purchased another which burnt out after 2 months - got a warranty replacement, which burnt out about 12 months later. Gave it a miss for 2 years but bought another 8 months ago. And guess what, yup - burnt out as well. We would use this product about once every 3 weeks so it wasn't from over-use. Save your money. Buy a different product.

Purchased in September 2018 at Big W Retail Stores.

so far...so good

Purchased from Big W 12/2018.

There appears to be slight change from previous model number which attracted some negative reviews. However KRC8 and KRC80 rice cookers like almost identical

Early days yet. However if you follow the cooking guide the result is perfectly good. On first cook the bottom rice was a tad overcooked but ok to date. The cooking bowl is pretty light so I am not sure about durability and how long the non stick coating will last. I choose this product because it was advertised as a pretty quick cooker unlike some other ones I looked at. Its a pity that the rice bowl cannot be detached from the the electrical lead, which I was aware of. A small point but it would increase this rice cookers practicality and if you had friends over around the table it would also advertise the product name. At this stage value for money and no gribes. 1 year warranty.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Purchased two and both have failed

Once bitten twice why. Rice burns to bottom if left on warm. Leaves rice very dry and not fluffy.
Purchased one and after 6 months of infrequent use had electric smell and the cooker stopped working. Husband purchased another and it happened after 2 uses. Off to find another brand.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Never cooks well

This is the first rice cooker I’ve ever owned and it never cooks the rice well - it is always singed on the bottom, is one big clump and not light and fluffy at all. Like others, I’ve tried adding more water but this doesn’t work. From what I’ve heard of rice from other cookers, I would definitely recommend people NOT buy this one.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Below expectations

Make the rice very dry at the top. Have followed instructions to the dot yet my rice comes out very dry at the top, so dry that it is unedible and I have to get rid of that layer. Haven only tried white rice so far. Other than that, it is ok, however I was expecting it would take less time than 20 mins to cook a cup of rice! Not recommend for everyday use.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Does the Job

The cooker works well for it's price. It's quite quick at cooking rice and easy to operate. My only issue with it is that even though it is a non stick bowl, the rice still sticks to the bowl. We need to remove the rice from the pot immediately after cooking, so we cannot leave there to keep warm. I purposely bought the rice cooker so that we could leave it in there and come back to refill without it sticking to the pot, so this was very disappointing.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Peta, the marketing team review these comments, and appreciate feedback. Thanks, the Kambrook team

only used a few times -tonight had an electrical/plastic burning smell -one side had started to melt

That explains our experience -might be a anomaly -might be what you can expect as well. will be back to the shop soon -well within warranty and REALLY sick of this cheap crap that won't even last a year!!!!!!

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Please contact Kambrook on 1300 139 798 if you wish to discuss this further. Thanks, the Kambrook team

Great for families

Great way to cook rice fast and for our family perfect texture quick time . You can put it on and it will be done by the time your meal is ready and is pretty easy to clean it takes up very little storage and is a very convenient way to cook love it suits our needs and would recommend to anyone.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

does the job

I was given this as a present. I wouldn't have bought one as I get good results using the stove (absorbtion method). I use the same rice-water ratio in the cooker as I do on the stovetop. The cooker produces similar quality rice. The advantage is that if I get bored and wander off the rice doesn't burn! I usually turn off the cooker as soon as the rice is cooked, as it keeps warm for a while in the hot cooker. You wont get good results with very small quantities of rice (any more than you will in a pan). The original cooker stopped working (open circuit) which was disappointing. I got a replacement under warranty with no problems, and that one is working well with regular use.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

This is perfect! Can't live without it!!

We bought Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 from Sunday market about five years back and since then we used it at least once a day. It worked perfectly every time. The non-stick layer is worn out but that doesn't create any problem other than slight sticking. We are really happy about the product.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Good rice cooker!!

Purchased as second hand in an op shop and after fires use tonight I’m pretty impressed

Date PurchasedJan 2018

I really enjoy cooking rice in my rice cooker

I really enjoy cooking rice in my non-stick rice cooker. I can put 1 cup of rice into it versus 2 cups of water, turn the rice-cooker on at the wall and press down the "cook" button on the cooker and it will take about 10 minutes to make a decent quantity of perfectly cooked, steamed rice that goes well making cooking fried-rice, curries, rice-pudding or stir fries. The cooking setting after 10 minutes of cooking time for the rice will then automatically switch to warm and will keep the rice warm if the lid is kept on the rice-cooker. Turn if off at the wall when finished with it and wash it.

Personally, I like the rice cooked out of the rice-cooker much better than cooked in a saucepan on the stove. I find rice cooked in the rice-cooker is nice, light and fluffy and well-cooked, not gluggy and watery like I had been finding when cooking it in a saucepan on the stove-top in the past. Also, using a rice cooker saves you having to wash-up a saucepan that has all the rice stuck to the bottom that you might want to use for cooking something else on the same evening. You can use a soft-gentle cloth and warm, soapy water, which will remove the dirt easily.

Rice cookers are worth having in your home.

From Rebecca Hill

Date PurchasedAug 2015

I do use rice cookers in a regular base and no matter how much I invested in a pricey good one; the teflon eventually get damaged and for healthy reasons I need to change.
So, last time I decide to just buy a not top brand and I was not disappointed - basic and easy to use and so far, has been cook well the rice.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Serviceable

Does it's job and makes a lot of rice, enough for at least five people in one go. Very light. Easy to wash and use. The steamer stand included is not very practical, because it may not fit in the pot when there is a lot of rice. Otherwise great value for money.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Excellent value

Bought this rice cooker about 10 years ago and it has been used almost every day. We cannot fault it! The bowl is losing a little of the non-stick coating now which makes it slightly harder to clean, but a little oil or butter added to the bowl before cooking helps to lessen this (common) problem. There are so many rice varieties and they require different rice to water ratios, but the ratios are generally shown on the rice packaging and then you fine-tune it to suit your preference for wetter or drier cooked rice. For the price and reliability I will happily buy another Kambrook KRC5 if ever the present one dies.

Date PurchasedSep 2007

Teflon coating on cooker bowl: a bit cooks off each meal...

Flakes of the teflon coating on the inner surface of the rice bowl peel off each meal, ending up in the rice! The bowl is only ever cleaned by soaking overnight with water & dish washing liquid.

Then the overcooked, stuck-to-the-bowl rice ( about half a serving) is gently brushed out with copious amounts of water, more suds and a soft brush.

NOT Happy, Jan! Date purchased? 1 April, ~~

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Broken within 5 mins. Avoid.

Broken within 5 minutes. Lights went out. Strong burning plastic smell. I mean I know it's cheap, so I had super low expectations for it, thought would have lasted for 6 months? Would have been happy, didn't think I still got disappointed with such low expectations. To anyone thinking of buying this to try, don't bother. Save yourself some trouble and time.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Hi Jet, please contact the customer service team on 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Kambrook Team

Cheap and reliable.

I purchased my 5 cup version 4 years ago and it's still going strong. It's a cheap no frills version compared to other options on the market. I've been mine on an almost daily basis and it's been fantastic for the price. I mainly use it to cook rice but I've even used it as a improvised Hobo Hotpot - you simply fill the rice bowl with water/stock (I fill mine until about half full) and throw in your choice of meat/vegetables once the water/stock starts boiling.

I certainly wasn't expecting my unit to last anywhere as long as it has but I'm pleasantly surprised and will be sad when it finally carks it. Great value and does what it says, no bells & whistles but you can't complain for the price.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Didn't even get to use it

Bought this from Harvey Norman and I opened it up. Read the manual, ect. Put the rice in etc, and I went to change it from warm to cook. The lever was broken !! No wonder it was the cheapest one there. Don't waste your money,
I won't be bothering with Kambrook again

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi, please contact the customer service team on 1300 139 798. Thanks, The Kambrook Team

Does the job

I've had my Kambrook rice cooker for years and l think it does a pretty good job. Yes the rice sticks a little at the bottom especially if you use stock rather than water but you can minimise that by stirring the rice and serving it as soon as possible when you hear the switch trip to keep warm. What l also do is squirt some dishwashing liquid into the bottom of the bowl, fill it with hot water and let it sit while you have dinner. Then l wash it with a sponge not a scourer. Stuck rice comes off super easy and its gentle on the non stick coating. For the price I paid I'm really happy with it.

Date PurchasedOct 2014