Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 / KRC8

Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 / KRC8

KRC5 (5 Cup), KRC8 (8 Cup) and KRC80CHO (8 Cup)

Latest batches sub-standard

As the family downsized we downsized to this 5-cup rice cooker. Worked fine for 3-4 years before biting the dust. Was happy to buy the same model as replacement but manufacturing standards have obviously slipped since the original model. We have had four fail since then with what appear to be thermostat failures after less than 10 uses. Two have been warranty replacements, which is fine, but life is too short to waste time on inferior products. Never again for a Kambrook rice cooker. Managed to salvage tonight's dinner by using sticky tape to hold down the "Cook" switch after the thermostat failed.

Purchased in January 2019.

Very reliable product!

We've been using this rice cooker for almost 2 years now and its a very good brand. Kambrook is one of the reliable brands that is designed to stand for years.

Purchased in September 2017 at Big W for $30.00.

Haven’t failed since I learned the trick!

Most rice cookers are pretty much the same but it’s how you start that makes the difference. Always, always rinse your rice! Place the dry rice in a sieve and shake it back and forth under cold running water. You'll see the milky water gradually become clear which means you’ve rinsed a lot of the starch off the rice. It’s starch that makes the rice stick to the pan. Since I learned this from a Chinese cook, I’ve never had a problem with my Kambrook rice cooker. I love the keep warm function it offers too.

Purchased in December 2017.

Perfect for most rice meals

Cooks to perfection, great little recipe book, light, small- easy to store, quick wipe out bowl, Price $26.00 great for 2-4 persons. We use at least twice weekly,12 month guarantee. I put a circle of bake paper on bottom of bowl as suggested and follow all directions given

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $26.00.

Dead on 4th use

Used as per directions. On 3rd use I noticed spot of paint coming off base despite very gentle treatment and no contact with metal. On 4th use it released burning plastic smell and died.

Purchased in July 2019 for $32.00.

Rubbish

I used the kambrook rice express 5 cup 3 times. It died before the end of the 3rd cook. What a waste of money. I will not buy another kambrook product again.

Purchased in June 2019 for $35.95.

Owned 4 of these, all 4 burnt out with less than a dozen uses.

Purchased one of these a few years ago. It 'burnt out' before 12months. Purchased another which burnt out after 2 months - got a warranty replacement, which burnt out about 12 months later. Gave it a miss for 2 years but bought another 8 months ago. And guess what, yup - burnt out as well. We would use this product about once every 3 weeks so it wasn't from over-use. Save your money. Buy a different product.

Purchased in September 2018 at Big W Retail Stores.

so far...so good

Purchased from Big W 12/2018.

There appears to be slight change from previous model number which attracted some negative reviews. However KRC8 and KRC80 rice cookers like almost identical

Early days yet. However if you follow the cooking guide the result is perfectly good. On first cook the bottom rice was a tad overcooked but ok to date. The cooking bowl is pretty light so I am not sure about durability and how long the non stick coating will last. I choose this product because it was advertised as a pretty quick cooker unlike some other ones I looked at. Its a pity that the rice bowl cannot be detached from the the electrical lead, which I was aware of. A small point but it would increase this rice cookers practicality and if you had friends over around the table it would also advertise the product name. At this stage value for money and no gribes. 1 year warranty.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Purchased two and both have failed

Once bitten twice why. Rice burns to bottom if left on warm. Leaves rice very dry and not fluffy.
Purchased one and after 6 months of infrequent use had electric smell and the cooker stopped working. Husband purchased another and it happened after 2 uses. Off to find another brand.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Never cooks well

This is the first rice cooker I’ve ever owned and it never cooks the rice well - it is always singed on the bottom, is one big clump and not light and fluffy at all. Like others, I’ve tried adding more water but this doesn’t work. From what I’ve heard of rice from other cookers, I would definitely recommend people NOT buy this one.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Below expectations

Make the rice very dry at the top. Have followed instructions to the dot yet my rice comes out very dry at the top, so dry that it is unedible and I have to get rid of that layer. Haven only tried white rice so far. Other than that, it is ok, however I was expecting it would take less time than 20 mins to cook a cup of rice! Not recommend for everyday use.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Does the Job

The cooker works well for it's price. It's quite quick at cooking rice and easy to operate. My only issue with it is that even though it is a non stick bowl, the rice still sticks to the bowl. We need to remove the rice from the pot immediately after cooking, so we cannot leave there to keep warm. I purposely bought the rice cooker so that we could leave it in there and come back to refill without it sticking to the pot, so this was very disappointing.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Peta, the marketing team review these comments, and appreciate feedback. Thanks, the Kambrook team

only used a few times -tonight had an electrical/plastic burning smell -one side had started to melt

That explains our experience -might be a anomaly -might be what you can expect as well. will be back to the shop soon -well within warranty and REALLY sick of this cheap crap that won't even last a year!!!!!!

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Please contact Kambrook on 1300 139 798 if you wish to discuss this further. Thanks, the Kambrook team

Great for families

Great way to cook rice fast and for our family perfect texture quick time . You can put it on and it will be done by the time your meal is ready and is pretty easy to clean it takes up very little storage and is a very convenient way to cook love it suits our needs and would recommend to anyone.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

does the job

I was given this as a present. I wouldn't have bought one as I get good results using the stove (absorbtion method). I use the same rice-water ratio in the cooker as I do on the stovetop. The cooker produces similar quality rice. The advantage is that if I get bored and wander off the rice doesn't burn! I usually turn off the cooker as soon as the rice is cooked, as it keeps warm for a while in the hot cooker. You wont get good results with very small quantities of rice (any more than you will in a pan). The original cooker stopped working (open circuit) which was disappointing. I got a replacement under warranty with no problems, and that one is working well with regular use.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

This is perfect! Can't live without it!!

We bought Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 from Sunday market about five years back and since then we used it at least once a day. It worked perfectly every time. The non-stick layer is worn out but that doesn't create any problem other than slight sticking. We are really happy about the product.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Good rice cooker!!

Purchased as second hand in an op shop and after fires use tonight I’m pretty impressed

Date PurchasedJan 2018

I really enjoy cooking rice in my rice cooker

I really enjoy cooking rice in my non-stick rice cooker. I can put 1 cup of rice into it versus 2 cups of water, turn the rice-cooker on at the wall and press down the "cook" button on the cooker and it will take about 10 minutes to make a decent quantity of perfectly cooked, steamed rice that goes well making cooking fried-rice, curries, rice-pudding or stir fries. The cooking setting after 10 minutes of cooking time for the rice will then automatically switch to warm and will keep the rice warm if the lid is kept on the rice-cooker. Turn if off at the wall when finished with it and wash it.

Personally, I like the rice cooked out of the rice-cooker much better than cooked in a saucepan on the stove. I find rice cooked in the rice-cooker is nice, light and fluffy and well-cooked, not gluggy and watery like I had been finding when cooking it in a saucepan on the stove-top in the past. Also, using a rice cooker saves you having to wash-up a saucepan that has all the rice stuck to the bottom that you might want to use for cooking something else on the same evening. You can use a soft-gentle cloth and warm, soapy water, which will remove the dirt easily.

Rice cookers are worth having in your home.

From Rebecca Hill

Date PurchasedAug 2015

I do use rice cookers in a regular base and no matter how much I invested in a pricey good one; the teflon eventually get damaged and for healthy reasons I need to change.
So, last time I decide to just buy a not top brand and I was not disappointed - basic and easy to use and so far, has been cook well the rice.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Serviceable

Does it's job and makes a lot of rice, enough for at least five people in one go. Very light. Easy to wash and use. The steamer stand included is not very practical, because it may not fit in the pot when there is a lot of rice. Otherwise great value for money.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Hi, I would like to buy a replacement bowl as I've been using mine for years and the coating is now scratched. Where can I buy just a bowl from, as I'm not keen on buying a whole new set? Thanks
Had exactly the same issue with another rice cooker brand which I had for over 6 years and worked perfectly well except for the bowl coating wear. You could try the manufacturer/distributor, an op shop with a bit of luck or an online auction page. Good luck!

When to use my steaming rack

Hi I have one of the express rice cookers and love it! How ever when I mix to the ratio I find the rice sticks to the bottom of the cooking dish was wondering what to do to stop this ? Much thanks jaz
Hi Jazz,...never had this problem although I tend to apply the same ratio recommended . Occasionally there is a slight sticky result but nothing too pronounced. Not sure whether your cooker has a slight variation in thickness of the teflon ? coating.

Kambrook Rice Express KRC5 (5 Cup)Kambrook Rice Express KRC8 (8 Cup)Kambrook Rice Express KRC80CHO (8 Cup)
CategoryRice CookersRice CookersRice Cookers