Kia Sportage QL Platinum AWD, 2.0L Diesel, Automatic

Kia Sportage QL Platinum AWD, 2.0L Diesel, Automatic (2015-2016)

Kia Sportage Sat Nav fail

I have the current model (2016) sportage platinum GT line. The sat nav was out of date at the day of purchase, well out of date. Speed zones always out and roads that were finished years earlier are not on there. The dealer advised it would cost $300 to update it. I made contact with Kia customer service to seek more information and they were downright rude and could not care less. They confirmed $300 to update. It's about keeping customers for life or losing them. I would NEVER buy another Kia!

5th December- I've since bought another SUV and they update the Sat Nav every year. It looks like they look after their customers.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Awesome Car

We purchased the 2017 Kia Sportage GT-LINE (diesel) in February 2017.
2.0 Turbo Diesel. 6 speed auto transmission.
The performance and handling of this car is GREAT. The 2.0 turbo diesel makes this car FLY.
Economy is GREAT; on the highway we achieve about 5.9litres/100km and around town about 9litres/100km.
Build quality cannot fault.
Equipment & safety, this car has so many features and safety equipment. While shopping around we found it has more features than most of the European vehicles that cost almost double (and still don't have all the features of this KIA).
You cannot beat the 7 year warranty with roadside assist.
Servicing costs...a little on the expensive side through the dealer.
*** I would recommend this car ***

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

LOVE this car

Have had many cars over the years, mostly bought new. This is hands down the best car ever. The list of features is impressive, love the sunroof, keyless ignition, heated/cooled seats. Best of all it is able to seat adults comfortably in the rear seat without moving the front seats forward.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Absolutely love this car

Had this car for over a year now, and due for its second 15K service. It continues to satisfy. The equipment spec is second to none. I love the grunt of a diesel engine. I even like sitting in the back as it has plenty of room. I do hope they will wake up and give up on stopping one from connecting the phone via bluetooth when it is not in Park. it will connect sometimes nevertheless. It is really dumb to think that somehow using the touchscreen to connect the phone is any different from using it to select an FM station.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

So far excellent

Nearly a year old, 25,000km and the Kia Platinum is doing everything right. Best fuel economy was Adelaide to Ballarat at an average of 6.2 litres per 100. Can rely on 7 litres per hundred generally. Just towed a 1.6 tonne caravan to Alice Springs and back. Cruised 90-100, worst fuel economy was 12.2, best 10.6. Ticks all the boxes for us. Very quiet, spoiled with the heated/cooled seats. GPS before apple/carplay was a bit out of date but workable. Overall very happy.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Worst car I've EVER OWNED.

Terribly unreliable. 2016 model. Already had new sun roof, new ECM, among other sensors. Park assist had a glitch and steering wheel went really fast and collided with another vehicle. I've done 1000s of auto park but as they couldn't get it to fault, it doesn't exist. The navigation system at purchase and with updates still doesn't contain streets that are 6 years.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

The Best Car I Have Owned!!

I have had this car for 4 months. So far it has been fantastic and economical, and the Turbo Diesel also goes like a rocket. The car is comfortable and is fantastic to drive. I have owned many cars over the years including Toyota's and Holdens and the Sportage is the best car i have owned by a long shot. The only thing i have found is that the wireless phone charger seems to have caused an issue with my phone where its battery power is drained very quickly after being charged using the wireless charger, so i no longer use it. However, if everything else continues to go well, i will be buying another one in a few years when i am ready to update.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Got sucked in by another Korean manufacturer

These cars are cheap because they are crap, Don't be fooled by the 7 year warranty. There are so many cheeky little catches in that contract. You will rue the day you signed. I have read many other reviews on this site. I assume that the ones praising Kia are employees or they really have no motoring experience whatsoever.
Poor handling. When you hit a bump you will actually bump across the road. Brakes are downright dangerous & not covered by warranty. The list goes on. You will see (literally) heaps of these cars in wrecking yards in the next few years.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Best car I have owned

I have owned a Sportage GT Line Platinum turbo diesel for 12 months and over 20,000km. The car has been absolutely faultless. It is economical - 6.2l per 100km on long highway trips, and sub 8l in stop start traffic on the kids school run.
The wife didn't want a Sorrento/Pajero as they were too big for our small garage - we've found the Sportage to be spacious without being enormous.
The car isn't a race car, it isn't a sports sedan. But for a family vehicle, its comfortable, relaxing, safe and has enough toys (sunroof, moonroof, multiple USB, wireless charging etc) to keep me entertained. The parking sensors, lane change sensors, reverse camera, forward collision avoidance systems are all excellent additions to the car. Note I have never used the auto parking - I am afraid of scratching a wheel on a gutter!
Build quality has been fantastic - I have noticed a single occasional tiny rattle in the sunroof on rough roads, but thats it. The NVH is very good except for the most coarse road surfaces, and scuttle shake is non existant.
After owning Australian build cars for the last 15 years, I now realise what I was missing out on. My Kia ownership experience has been 10 out of 10.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Edit. Now at 2.5 years and 55000km. Had 2 warranty claims. The first was an issue with the forward collision sensor, which had gone out of alignment. After a call to Kia Australia, the provides a courtesy car for a week whilst the issue was identified and rectified. The second was a faulty power window switch which wad repaired/replaced on first visit. Overall the car is still quite tight, with a small rattle in the sunroof. Dash and plastics are all still excellent. Economy is still very good, and 6.0 to 6.4l for long highway runs is the norm. Has the car met expectations? Absolutely. We are considering a Kia to replace the other 10 year old Toyota.

Great car, excellent updated model

Just bought this car a month ago, the 2017 MY, Platinum with diesel motor.
Before this I had a MAZDA CX-5.
I will give the pro's and con's pointwise:

Con:

1. The motor is a bit rawer, there is more a diesel sound and -feel to it than in the Mazda. The motor is agile, and what helps is chosing the mode: normal, sport or eco.
2. The electronics are a bit fuzzy, but also the Mazda did not have a great entertainment system/GPS. I have just received a letter where I am asked to have the system updated to include Apple car play, which is a huge bonus.
3. The brand 'Kia', some colleagues mock me for having bought it
4. Diesel consumption: i score around 9 litre/100 km, the Mazda did it with just under 8 litre/100 km.
5. I found it difficult to make a choice of colour, find it limited, so went with white
6. The car parks itself, but it is an extremely tedious and slow process and in normal city life quite useful and probably expensive option.

Pro:

1. An enormous amount of bang for the buck
2. The seating is excellent, the inside noise is minimal, and the panorama roof a great feature
3. My kids are no longer complaining about the heat as the rear passengers have their own aircon
4. I like the model, with the front lights on the hub, and the 'ice cube' style foglights
5. The power tailgate that opens automatically if you stand with full hands behind it is just great
6. the best bonus is of course the 7 year warranty, against 3 years for the Mazda

What is very unclear is how the forward looking emergency brake works. I have been close to my frontman, where I would have expected it to kick in but nothing happened. But tbhis is not a KIA issue, probably just my ignorance.
Summarizing, I had the Mazda for 4 years, and will see if this car meets the excellent standard and the high return price of the Mazda.

Update After 2 Years:

Had no issues with the car whatsoever. Two disappointments: KIA gives a two year free GPS map update when you buy the car. However, they have not updated their Australia maps in these last 2.5 years, so you will find yourself on new roads driving through the white.
Secondly, as I wrote above that I was happy with the offer of the Apple Play Update as software upgrade, one notices only on the day that you bring the car in for 15 minutes to have this done that it comes at the price of 585 $. Bad practice Kia, trying to tie customers into doing this, not telling them it is going to cost. I said no but thank you, annoyed I had to make trip to decline a rip-off.

Purchased in January 2016 at Kia Dealers for $53,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

best present ever

I love driving it even better than my other small car. Leather seats I like the way it lights up on the dash plenty legroom. It has not let us down yet (fingers crossed) and the running costs are very good we fill up every two weeks .It is the best present ever.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

The BEST Car I have ever purchased so far .........

I have had this New Kia Sportage Platinum 2016 for about two months now. I have had a couple of long trips away and found this vehicle to be exceptional!! Kia have really turned the corner with this vehicle they have produced. I have the Fiery Red colour and the 2.0 litre Turbo Diesel. I really can't fault this vehicle so far. Build quality both inside and out is exceptional. I love a clean and well set out dash and interior - and the Kia does not disappoint!! Easy to drive - holds the road really well - great on diesel fuel - and fun to drive. If I had to be picky - and I find this difficult to do with this Kia - the only down sides are no adaptive cruise and even with my seat fully adjusted back and down - my hair still touches the roof - and I am only just over 6 feet tall. There also doesn't seem to be a Kia Club (As there was with my previous vehicle a Hyundai) but I am sure this will happen eventually. This was meant to be my retirement car - planning to retire in the next 2 years - but I am not so sure. If Kia keep producing these types of vehicles I may change my mind. The reviews of this particular vehicle with diesel are also very promising.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Lots of toys!

Having owned the previous model Sportage Si diesel, I had no hesitation in buying the new QL Sportage. This time I decided to go for the Platinum diesel model, which comes with lots of 'bells & whistles'. About the only feature that I miss is 'Adaptive Cruise Control' which would automatically match the car's speed when catching up to a slower car on the highway, with cruise control on. Other than that, the latest Sportage QL has just about all of the latest features. The first thing that I disabled is the 'Lane Departure Warning' which warns you whenever it thinks that you are drifting out of your lane, way too sensitive & annoying. Really like the 'Blind Spot & Rear cross traffic Alerts', which have helped me avoid a few possible accidents. The rear camera & front & rear obstacle sensors are great in tight parking spots. Heated & cooled seats are fabulous & will make it much more comfortable when getting into a hot or cold car (the seat heaters have been a godsend over winter). The panoramic sunroof makes the car seem more airy & spacious & always gets positive comments from passengers. Bi xenon headlights are literally brilliant & really light up the road ahead & are the best headlights that I have experienced on any car.

The new model is more economical than my previous model which would get about 7.0 lt/100 km on the highway (average 7.5 lt/100 km), where the new one gets down to 6.0 lt/100 km (Average 6.9 lt/100 km). The new engine doesn't feel quite as responsive to throttle changes, as the old one, but maybe this will improve as I put more kilometers on it (about 4,000 km so far). Ride comfort is not as good as the old model as the new model rides on 19" wheels vs 17" wheels on my old model. It is a little firmer, though not harsh, but I am happy to accept this in exchange for much better road holding & handling. Bear in mind that the Platinum version has 'sports suspension' & bigger wheels than the lower models, so the lower models should give a cushier ride.

No reliability problems so far & my previous experience would lead me to expect none. So I am very happy with my new Sportage QL & would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great car

Have just traded our 2013 Kuga Titanium Diesel on a new Kia Sportage Platinium Diesel I was particularly impressed with the finish on the Kia and was heavily swayed by the 7 year warranty, the car is really quiet, comfortable, well appointed and the selling Dealer Kia Blackburn couldn't have been more helpful the car feels so solid on the road and the fact that the suspension has been tuned for Australian conditions shows through. We also looked at Mazda CX-5 ( can't believe the top spec model didn't have rear air vents )and the Hyundai Tucson Highlander which is basically the Kia with a different body but not quite the same extras and lesser warranty The car is getting 7.2 l/100km around town which I find excellent and with previous diesels I am sure once we pass 11,000km the economy will improve even more. I love the space inside and all the extras in the Platinium are just fantastic. The torque of the engine while contributing to the economy also makes overpassing and climbing hills childs play. I would encourage anyone in the market for this size SUV to look pass badge snobbery and do yourself a favor and go and test drive a Kia like me you will be pleasantly surprised

Date PurchasedJul 2016