Masport Bunnings 470 2'n1

Masport Bunnings 470 2'n1

Snapped Drive shaft

Same problem, drive shaft snapped while using on small back lawn, looks to be rubbish steel as the beak shows large grain structurw. Good quality steel does not snap leaving large grains visible. What can be done to repair or replace the drive shaft, is there a recall of faulty ones?

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Read the warranty carefully...

Purchased a 470 from Bunnings - mower works fine after 4 years but the catcher packed it in. Warranty (Clause 3) says "Lifetime" on the plastic catcher. Don't trust em - the fine print on the owners warranty (which you can read after you get the product home) in clause 4 excludes "normal wear and tear" and "accidental damage, neglect and misuse". This does not leave much to claim on - either you have used it or abused it. Our catcher started to fall apart after 2 years. I patched it up but the plastic still kept cracking and bits breaking off. The mower and catcher has always been stored in the garage. After a couple of seconds the Masport agent in Capel Sound (Vic) declared it as "Stone damaged" and thus no warranty - buy a new one $130.00. Yes, we have a double block but the mowing is mostly buffalo grass, clippings and nature strip. Reading through the reviews it appears others have had problems but no joy from the Warranty. If contemplating purchasing a 470 hopefully you will not have any problems and thus not have to rely on the warranty.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Not the best

Bought from bunnings last year. Used it a few times, no problem. Serviced it after about 4hrs use, new oil/air filter and soon after started to run a bit rough. Checked oil etc all o.k so kept on using. Slowly got worse and blowing alot of grey/white smoke?? Took of air filter and oil spewing out. Serviced it again oil/air filter no change. Took it to bunnings authorised repair shop. Got phone call today saying its stuffed, dirt got into engine and has scored the piston etc etc and briggs/stratton won't cover repairs...what a load of rubbish. Only used aprox 15 times over the year and looked after it well, still looks brand new. Thanks Bunnings/masport and briggs stratton for nothing $450 down the drain. Don't buy one, now left with mower in pieces because repair shop won't put together without charging me. They said not worth repairing due to expense, like $450 isn't enough all ready. What a load of rubbish, very poor from all parties involved leaving me with nothing but grass getting longer & longer and not able to afford to buy another mower....wheres the justice. I'll just buy roundup from now on and napalm the lot.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

OK but some design issues

This is a lightweight mower. Fair enough then that power is modest but a few design features make it unnecessarily 'heavy' to use. The wheel base is too long (I think the transition to the catcher is awkward - might be to do with what's necessary for mulching). The handle is at a relatively low angle and the mower seems to have more mechanical advantage than the pusher would prefer. That makes mowing hard on the lower back which is not a good thing at my age. I have not had my mower for long and the other things I find odd might go away with familiarity. I hope so.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Broken Drive Shaft

I've had the Masport for about four years and have been very happy with it. Today the drive shaft broke. The machine wasn't cutting. I'd just started it after changing the oil. Coincidentally two days ago I saw one advertised on EBay that had done exactly the same in the same spot. The shaft looks to be cast iron rather than steel but I may be wrong.
Unfortunately it did everything I asked of it. Started easily, cut well and also mulched. Of course it is out of guarantee so I'll just forget about it.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Absolutely love my Masport

Starts first go (which is a bonus for me as with my previous one I was exhausted by the time it started) the mulching attachment is wonderful for when you just want to give it a quick run over. We were so impressed my Mother ended up buying one for herself after hearing how happy we were. Wonderful warranty.

Strong mower

Finally gave up in the ole blue trash of a Victa!!!

Walked into Bunnings, flipped - poked, prodded tried to bend everything else they had (mower wise) other than a Victa!

The Masport 470 was the clear winner within regards to features and quality enough components and build composition.

The deck is steel but about the thickness of a flattened and pressed man soup can, front cross thwart behind the weel and aft collection strakes are welded to he base with small beads of weld. Worried about rust in the future for these areas so will have to upkeep with a squirt of Inox every now and again.

Wheels on this mower are sort of worrying in the future as theyre a multi piece construction, plastic inner and rubber outer - trying my absolute hardest not to curb them on hard edges and fence lines. Two of the wheels are free to spin however two others are quiet stiff to turn by hand - all are bearing supported.

The mower itself being 4 stroke is easily upkept and I added a small amount of Liquid Moly MOS2 to the engine oil for longevity. The starting of the engine is effortlessly easy however doesn't rev as hard as the older 4 stroke(s) which is deceptive in use - you just dont believe that the low revs are going to cut the lawn - but it does and does very well (very fuel efficient!)...

The blade base has 4 blades - which is uber efficient in use, they do the job very well and they dont hesitate on thicker unkempt lawns, just seems to power through at a slow and steady pace.

This mower can be used with or without the catcher, the catcher has a filler guage however I have taken a great fondness of using the mulching plate that comes with the mower - conveniently cuts mulches and dumps the clippings back onto the grass to fertilize the lawn.

The handle is covered in a red EVA foam tube, so far its been damaged by a light glance against a fence pailing - cant see it lasting that long either. The throttle stick is a cheap chinesium part thst came on all the Masport mower range and feels proper crap! The throttle cable is steel and gets stiff when you fold away the handle when you go to resuse the mower - have to manually straighten the cable outer.

Mower came with a good warranty but yet to see if its needed in the future like the Victa - hope we dont!

The mower presentation all over does reflect the near $480 price tag however some parts could've been upgraded like the throttle stick and a remote air cleaner element and snorkel up the handle like on other mowers.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great lawnmower

This mower cuts beautifully, love using the mulching function and it works so well that you can’t even see the clippings on the lawn. The large wheels and light weight make it easy to use so much so that my wife has taken a liking to using it. It starts very easily and the oil changes are simple.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Good mower but lacks power and does cut perfectly

The Masport mower is good quality but it does lack in power, I used someone else's who was a cheap Aldi mower and it was almost twice as powerful as mine, I usually have to make 2 passes with this mower as it leaves strands of grass behind (doesn't cut perfectly)

Date PurchasedOct 2016

reliable mower

I bought the Masport 470 2n1 in Bunnings Warehouse. It is a very reliable mower, easy to start, easy to be pushed around the lawn. it is a 4-stroke so you don't have to mix petrol with oil, also quieter than a 2-stroke mower. The only problem I had with it was that once I tilted it too much when cleaning it and some lubricant oil leaked out from the engine. But it did not cause any damage,still works perfectly.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Hard to start

Brought lawn mower from bunnings, found it really hard to start and it wasn't long before the lead that you have to move to put in start, soon got loose and end up having to do it manually. The wheels wear out really quick too. Not meant to last like the ones made in the 70s80s ect

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Mid Range Model

Cutting is clean and even with easily adjustable height setting
Middle of the road for maneuvering, handle nuts need to be checked often as they come loose easily
Mower can take quite a few pull cords starts for motor to kick in especially in winter
It is easy to check and top up oil

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Good Machine

We bought this Mower almost 15 months ago from Bunnings, was looking a bit overpriced for 425 AUD because Victa was coming cheaper, but the sales guy there convinced us by one statement that you would be blessing me few years down the line.

And he was so true, even in harsh winters, starts like a charm, does the work and go back to shed, simple and powerful Engine.

Must buy

its a lawn mover

cuts the grass like you would expect from a product that is purchased to cut the grass. assembly form the box is easy and operation is easy.
mulching function is great and provides an alternative to the catcher.
easy start and has an excellent mowing width to speed up mowing

Date PurchasedNov 2017

New mower that I like so far

Starts shortly, within two pulls. Four stroke good.
Folding handle is fantastic to store the mower in a small space as the handle stands vertically.
The chute for mincing the sticks is great as the odd twig that comes along.
Love the black and red colour.
Easy to pour in petrol and oil caps located on the top.
Choice of mulch, catcher and side push out.
Good now while it’s new, and hope it continues.

Almost Perfect

Great mower, follow the recommended starting procedures and it will start 1st pull, I've had mine for almost 2 years and it still starts 1st pull. Cuts great, ideal cutting height adjustments, light and easy to manoeuvre. I change the oil, spark plug & blades yearly and only use pulp 95 in all my garden tools. Mechanically has never missed a beat and I use it often.
The only issue I have, is the catcher keeps falling off whilst mowing, very annoying.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Masport Magic - 470 Lawn Mower

After lengthy research I decided to go with the Masport 470 Lawn Mower from Bunnings. The 470 ticked all the boxes: 4 blade, 4 Stroke, large catcher that wasn’t material but plastic and seemed simple to operate. To my satisfaction the Mower didn’t take too long to prep before first use. A bit of oil, fuel, snap the catcher together and I was ready to get started. First pull did the trick and the 18inch base made cutting the yard quick and easy. Best thing was that I could cut my entire back yard with only having to empty the catcher once (usually 3x being the norm). Highly recommend thus far...fingers crossed my good fortune with this continues for many years!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Perfect Machine

Very happy with this mower. Reasonable price, but feels very good quality.

The 2 in 1 mulching feature is very handy. I have to mow the lawns at least every week and using the mulching plug saves always emptying the catcher and also the filling of my green bins.

Starts first time, every time.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Masport

Its great the ability to mow and mulch means that you are not having to empty the catcher all the time. It starts every time first time, its powerful and an excellent cutter. The reason for 4 not 5 stars the first one i got broke and had to replace.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Makes mowing easy

This mower has the weight, height, catcher and other features to make mowing very easy and enjoyable. It has a good number of height selections, a great catcher with fill indicator and a separate muncher chute. It does not need priming prior to starting, has comfortable adjustable handle, is not too heavy (at least for a 71 y.o. male) and can fold easily for transport