Maytronics Dolphin S 300i

Maytronics Dolphin S 300i

Great Cleaner but needs a few improvements

I have had this S300i for just on three years now. cleans the pool well, the two modes Fast (one hour) cleans the floor only and long (three hours) floor and walls is a great option and works well. Does not clean the steps but dont think any cleaner does despite what the rep says. This unit is super easy and fast to clean, the filter box lifts out with its own handle is fast and easy to hose out, could not be easier, looked at many and this was one of the few that would filter fine dust without needing a bag (that looks way too hard and time consuming to clean) but has large catchment for leaves and nuts.
The unit is light to carry (much lighter than most of the good cleaners) and even when in water just hold it against the side of the pool and let the water run out before lifting out. it takes about two minutes to put in and about 5 min to take out, clean put on the caddy and put away its it really that quick and easy.
The app is crap, who wants to manually drive it anyway, bought this to clean the pool, not me to drive it clean, but controlling it is average at best - do not buy it for this option.
There are two design faults i believe. first is getting at the impeller is difficult, and if you have anyone in your pool with long hair (hair sheds) it gets wrapped around the pump impeller and reduces the water flow and ability to clean. this would be a problem with all cleaners but the S300i makes it difficult to fix, first you need to remove a cover with two screws, but maytronics took a shortcut where the cable is anchored to the unit, its part of this cover and is fiddly to remove and reattach this cover, two further fittings are easy to remove and then get at the impeller, other models i have seen have one screw holding a cover and you are done. Maytronics could and should fix this with little change to the design. The second problem is the rubber flap at the front to let the water out when finished seems to get stiffer as the unit gets older and i think it no longer seals properly and some water is sucked in there instead of through the filter cartridge. this causes two problems, reduced suction (cleaning) through the filter cartridge and distributes the dirt past the filter and around the pool to resettle on the bottom. i have glued the middle of the flap shut and fixed the problem but it should be part of the design.
The unit stopped working recently one year out of warranty, I disassembled the drive and pump unit and found a small amount of water and a lot of condensation, the desiccant bag was soaked. So I cleaned and dried everything, used contact cleaner on the circuit board and dried the desiccant bag in the oven, (at a low temp) unit is now working again. it would seem that after two years (the warranty) the desiccant bag is no longer able to absorb the moisture and it starts to build up in the housing. not sure what the answer to this is and suspect all cleaners would suffer this, maybe it could be a service recommendation, in future i will disassemble after warranty for any unit i own. Im sure the moisture in the motor housing will have reduced the life on the unit. If you attempt this ensure all seals and surfaces are carefully cleaned and make sure you do not stretch the O-rings. use plenty of silicone pool grease/lube when reassembling. Apparently there are shops out there that can replace individual components on these which could also be an option if they fail. After all that i would still recommend this unit as it does what it want it to and for the reasons I chose this cleaner over many others - filters fine dirt and silt, fast and easy to clean, light and compact.

Purchased for $1,900.00.

Noise Level
Pool Size Average
Functionality
Small Debris Cleaning
Large Debris Cleaning
Wall and Step Cleaning
Hi Kim. Thank you for your feedback as we appreciate the time taken to put this forward to us. This has been forwarded to our team. Please do not hesitate to contact us on 1300 693 657 option 2 or at customercareau@maytronics.com for any assistance. Have a great day.

Waste of money

Made some pretty good decisions on pool equipment before but this is not one of them. Have had the unit for 2 years and 3 months and in that time the controller has had to be replaced on site by a rep, have had problems with the app which were resolved and the power cable had to be replaced under warranty because it was faulty. Now I have had to pay 325 dollars to have an impeller fixed for a unit that was cleaned weekly and it was cited as maintenance. I would say more likely poor design. When it cleans it cleans well but it comes at a cost. Poor product and clearly badly designed

Purchased for $2,300.00.

Pool Size Average
Hi Phil. Could you please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com as we would like to further discuss the problems that you had been experiencing with your robot.

Poor after sales support

We have a large vinyl pool with a deep end, the debris in the pool was gum leaves and the cleaner worked pretty good......while it worked. Every season since we bought it three years ago we've had to send it back to the supplier for repairs as it ends up turning in circles and doing nothing at all. Every year the same problem, now Maytronics say they will not fix it anymore nor will they do any refund at all. Were left with a $1500 lump of plastic that doesnt work. The cleaners work ok when they do work, but the support will not be there for you when it breaks, and it will break.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Hi Steve, we would like to offer you some product support. Can you please call us on 1300 693 657 so we can confirm you products details and history. We will also send you a PM to touch base that way.

Probably the Best Robot available

This is my third Robot. Starting with the Zodiac V3 - good, then an AstralPool RTX - better, and now i have the Maytronics S300i. Obviously they all get better with evolving technology but the S300i really is miles ahead of the pack. Great smart phone connectivity and a really effective cleaner. Been in the pool for 8 months now which i know they say is not the right thing to do but what evs... Been tracking around cleaning the pool without fault, i dont use the timer any more, i just turn it on with my iphone when i see the pool is dirty from the bedroom window!! So cool. And the little light on the front makes night time running cool also...
Very good product so far..

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Thanks for your review, please get in touch if there is anything we can do to help.

WOW - An expensive boat anchor.

Very disappointed with this pool cleaner. Was told how good and reliable they were by the supplier, however had had trouble with it after 12 months not cleaning the pool properly and stopping intermittently. When I rang and advised of the issues was told it more than likely my pool walls and a dirty filter on the unit.

Now it is out of warranty it has stopped completely and has issues that require a new drive motor. Very disappointed Maytronics as I believe the motor has been on the way out whilst under warranty.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Hi Matt C, we at Maytronics are sorry to hear about this experience. We would like to look into this to see how we can help turn your experience around. We will send you a private message to connect.Thanks will wait to hear from you.Hi Matt, your message should be in your Product Review inbox.

wonderful

i bought this 9 months ago as i was sick of using a basic suction cleaner which would jam up with certain leaves which are unfortunately common in my pool. My alternative was using vacumn hose which you can imagine is a vertitable PITA. What a labour saver! And it keeps pool clean. Mind you it is best/advisable to take it out of pool after use and rinse filters every time. I also rinse whole machine given my pool is salt based. As to leaves it can suck up quite a few in its collection system due to the suction, of course if you get a lot of leaves you can pick some up with scoop to makes easier.It has a 2 year guarantee btw.
I looked at a few at home show and while many promise to work if you get problems backup is important and not all are easy or amenable when it gets to that situation.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Spotless pool, great investment

I was looking at getting a robot for the pool for quite some time. It's a relatively new pool (less than 2 years old) so i did my research, and with some advice from my local pool store, i ended up getting a Maytronics s300i. I'm a pretty fussy guy, i like my pool spotless, and the little robot makes it sparkle every clean. I've been using the unit since November, and i couldn't be happier.

I've sat down with a beer on more than one occasion, just to watch the little guy race around the pool.

The filters are easy to clean, and this one is a lot lighter than the other ones i was shown in the store. The timers are easy to set, and the phone app means i can change the timers and even turn the unit on from the livingroom! The instructions were easy to understand, even if they were a little simple, and the whole thing was in the pool and working in about 10 mins, so it's very easy. The kids named it Toby after our old neighbour's dog, so it's even got a name.

I followed the poolshop's advice, don't watch it clean the first time, becuase it's meant to be learning the pool, and it looked very dumb the first clean. But once it learned the pool it started zooming around like a champ.
Its expensive, but totally worth it. 5 stars.

Date PurchasedNov 2016