Mazda Tribute

Mazda Tribute

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mazda? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features
Monica
MonicaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Loved my 2004 Mazda tribute but it let me down.

Had my 2004 Mazda tribute for approximately 2 years, bought it privately, I was very happy and loved it until the timing chain went. The mechanic put that on and the car hasn't been the same since. The engine light is on and lacking in power and running rough. The mechanic made sure he did it right then went over the car and has no idea what the issue is. An auto electrician tested it and said the wiring in it is fine.
Now it just sits in the back yard. Very disappointed.

Purchased at Private.

Klauswitz
KlauswitzNortheast, VIC

Will not buy another Mazda. Will not deal with Mazda again!

Date PurchasedMay 2015
phsycoangel
phsycoangelCentral Queensland, QLD

Nice SUV

Fuel gauge a bit hard to understand, services at dealership is expensive, starter motor replace is very expensive due to having to remove part of the front end. lots of room inside. great power to weight ratio. V6 has less problems then the 4cyl. Fixed failures have been small level in gear stick that broke and failed stereo but overall a pretty good vehicle for everyday use and for wet weather dirt road use.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Brad
BradNewcastle

An expensive little car to service

This was an expensive car to service. Looking at our annual budget, we ended up spending $1000 every year on services and engine repairs (not including tyres and minor services). It had a small boot. Fuel economy was poor. There is a known problem with the Tributes towing a heavy trailer on the highway - the transmission will over-heat. This happened to me, and the mechanic said that he had seen over 100 of the same breakdowns like mine on the highway.

Date PurchasedMay 2011
tom
tomsydney

Mazda Tribute Underrated Gem.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
sw
sw

Would not buy another mazda tribute

I bought my automatic mazda 2003 tribute in may 2016 was ok for the first two months and then thats when the problems started. The interior was clean has alot of room but the bad thing about it the backseat head rests were missing then the car started overheating so i had to replace the thermostat, radiator, waterpump, and a belt then to be told there's a leak When it heavy rains water leaks through the doors replaced the battery as well. Purchased the tribute for $6990 second hand was told it was a good car and ive only had it for 5 months now the car won't start. Will not be buying another mazda tribute.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

I bought my 2006 Mazda Tribute about five years ago and have had tons of problems!! I have fixed th

Robby
RobbyThe Mallee, VIC

Love it!

Fairly recently bought a 2001 2.0 litre manual Tribute. Its in excellent condition with 150,000km. Apart from one rear door lock not working, everything works as it should. I'm getting excellent fuel economy and even towing a caravan I still get 14 litres per 100km. Not towing it is usually in the 8 to 9 liters per 100km range. Performance is not exciting, with slow acceleration, but maintains its speed well enough, even towing. Its ride and handling are really good. I like the tail gate arrangement and roomy interior. Its off road capabilities are better than I would have expected. A lot better than a Rav4 with better fuel economy but obviously not in the same class as full chassis 4x4s like land cruisers etc. Very happy so far.

BadgeLimited
TransmissionManual
roon
roonAU

Great little suv for family with 2 kids.not as refined as other suvs but ok-ford escape

Badge0

Find out how Mazda Tribute compares to other Midsize / Medium SUVs

Great car. Great size. Very Reliable.

I brought my 2003 Mazda tribute 5 years ago & it has been a great car. It's the perfect size for our family & 2 dogs & we regularly take it to the beach. Tows the loaded up boat & trailer no worries. Have had to replace the alternator & coils but for a car of this age of course things are going to wear out & need replacing. I find it good on fuel, only filling up once a fortnight.

Dave DJR96
Dave DJR96Beerwah

Actually pretty good, just let down by poor programming of the auto transmission.

BadgeLimited
Eddie K
Eddie KSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent!

I have a 2004 Mazda Tribute with the 2.3 litre 4 cylinder engine which I've owned for 9 years and done the majority of the k's of highway driving and city stuff. Great fuel economy and so much room yet doesn't feel like a big suv. Have done over 280k and motor still excellent and uses no oil! Well made with tough trim and good fit / finish. Would recommend the 2.3 (4 cylinder)...haven't seen many around as they're mostly 6's.
Fuel economy, looks, build quality, load space, great engine!
Should've had a middle lap sash seat belt in back and rear disc brakes.

mark
mark

Great Mid size SUV

would check b4 i bought another mazda

bought a mazda tribute 3 weeks ago first trip pulling caravan 1100 kgs could not get overdrive control to operate had to replace gear box charged $4129.00 to fix .he told me that only gears 1 & 3 were operating.
I found out later that in low range only those gears 1& 3 would operate.i am wondering if that was the only problem . and I was ripped off,.never would I buy a car on e bay again or would I use the transmission specialist again.

woof woof

Read more reviews - page 2

Oabona M.
Oabona M.asked

Can u put computer box for mazda tributes model 2001 to model 2004 then start without programing?

Creative A.
Creative A.asked

Mazda Tribute v6 2006 leaking coolant. Dash temp doesn’t show any changes or overheating not sure if it’s working right so took it for service and they say only one tool is available in the whole of Australia to fix it and they’d had a hard time getting their hands on it to loan in the past. That it was too difficult to fix and would cost over a thousand ? Advised to ring round Mazda or Ford and see what to do . Is my leg being pulled here or is that remotely true ?

Johnny B.
Johnny B.asked

My Mazda Tribute 2004 v6 keeps overheating Nd smoke keep coming out of engine got new water pump got new thermostat flushed out radiator ,fans work fine no water in my oil can’t see leaks or damage hoses what could it be

Anne K
Anne K

Did you find out what the issue was?

A blocked catalytic converter (2004 has 3) can cause back pressure and in turn the tribute will overheat, there could also be a kink in one of the hoses.. these are just a couple of examples

CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVs