MPNs: 042.001 and 67060T

See the Best Electric Breast Pumps in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Can not say enough good things about this pump

I love this machine!

I love you can express both boobs at once, super convenient. You can adjust the suction to what suits you.

What I hand pumped in 4 hours I got in 30 mins! Well worth the money.

Easy to clean and sterilise.

The only thing i would complain about is the noise but I’d still buy and recommend it 100%

Purchased in April 2019 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $389.00.

Usage Frequency Short-term
Feeding Methods Baby Formula

Great pump for home use

I have used the Medela Freestyle pump for both of my babies and have had excellent results. It is very simple to use and gentle but still gets ample milk, making expressing a stress free experience. Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a pump.

Purchased in November 2017 for $350.00.

Horrible expensive useless

Breast pump shut give comfort. This crap product gives me stress nothing else. Sometimes it works amazing, mostly not working at all. Every part it seems to be ok but when it comes to pump is not pumping with means it leaves you with full painful breasts

Purchased in November 2016 for $414.00.

Feeding Methods Breastfeeding
Hi Maya Have you returned your pump to the place of purchase and explained what the problem is. As you purchased your pump in 2016 you may need to replace your connectors as these should be replaced periodically. Please contact our customer service department if you would like us to go through some troubleshooting with you. Kind regards Pauline

Love it!

I use this everyday and can honestly say it is one of the best things I have ever bought. This has been an absolute life saver for me and I have recommended it to many others who have been looking for a good pump

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting for $300.00.

Milk Expressing FrequencyFrequently (more than once a day)
Hi Kristen Thank you very much for your review and your recommendations. It is always a pleasure to hear from a happy customer that goes to the trouble of writing such a positive review. Kind regards Pauline

Easy to use pump

I have used the freestyle double pump and found it to be effective. I was glad to have the double to make it more time efficient. It is easy to operate and stores in a nice bag.

Purchased in March 2019 at Baby Bunting for $398.00.

Usage Frequency Short-term
Feeding Methods Breastfeeding
Hi Liv Thank you for your email. Yes, the Medela Freestyle is a great double pump. It comes with everything you need for a mother that is expressing. It is especially good if you travel or are returning to work. Thank you for your kind review, it is always lovely to hear from a happy customer. Kind regards Pauline

Great for a busy on the go mum like me

I tried the spectra s2, symphony and swing in the lead up to purchasing this as my long term pump. I can’t decide if the noise is a pro or con. It’s not super loud but obviously makes some noise. I use it once a day. Preferred the symphony for suction and getting the most milk however the symphony was not portable.

Most importantly for me there was a small part that broke in the tubing - not anything super important just the bit that you put the 2nd tube in when you’re only single pumping. I emailed Medela and they wrote back the next business day replacing it for free - sent to my house. Great service.

Pros
1. Super portable, I can use it on the go all the time, in the car etc and it has great battery life
2. As with all medelas the pump head comes apart so you can slip it through a small bra hole (eg spectras it’s one big piece so you need to create a large hole or buy a purpose built pumping bra to use)
3. Strong enough to get 100ml each side
4. Double pump is better than a single
5. Has a bit you can pop the extra pipe in so you can also use it as a single pump

Cons
1. The head bits are annoying to clean and put back together when you take them fully apart
2. The bit you put the 2nd pipe in when only using 1 side broke for me after a couple of months

Purchased in February 2019 at Baby Bunting for $379.00.

Usage Frequency Long-term
Milk Expressing FrequencyOccasionally (once a day or less)

Great for busy moms

I love this pump! I wish I had gotten it instead of my pump in a style that my insurance provided. I ordered this so I could pump easier at work, on the go, and at home. I was able to wash dishes and change a diaper all while pumping! This will really come in handy when I go back to work, I can pump while I get ready instead of sitting in one spot. My pump in style will be my back up pump or I’ll just use it if I’m already watching tv.
I will say though this has less suction (running on battery) than the pump in style. I use the suction set pretty low so it’s no problem at all for me. If you use a pump in style on full blast you’re gonna notice a difference.
My main complaint is all the parts are different than the pump in style so in order to have spare parts I had to order them. It would be nice if all the pumps had the same standard parts.

Purchased in April 2019.

Gentle and easy to use

Great little pump held its charge really well and was easy to use and gentle. Great for being able to move around and do things when pumping with the use of a pumping bra of course.

Purchased in December 2018.

Not reliable.

When the pump works it works really well. However the connectors are very finicky and regularly don’t work. I frequently have to pump only on one side as the connectors often lose their suction and have to be put back together again. Quite frustrating when you’re trying to pump late at night and you’re time poor

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby Bunting for $400.00.

Usage Frequency Long-term
Milk Expressing FrequencyOccasionally (once a day or less)

Broken connector, poor suction

Very regret buying this pump. Having first baby and no idea what pump to buy and decided just to get this as I needed on the day. Bought for $400++ AUD and never happy with this. First couple months I thought I didn't have good supply , went to check the pump with the store and the connector is not working properly so they gave me a new one and came home with better suction. After another month it's same problem, I can never empty my breasts even though this is a freestyle , I still have to massage and work through my breasts yet the suction is powerful enough to empty the milk out. Very disappointed. I have been wondering why my supply never go up even though I have done power pumping (pump every 3 hourly).

June 7th 2019 Update: New connectors leak

Now that Medela responded to my review earlier which is great and I am happy with their action. New connectors immediately posted and they work better than the old model. However I find that this has another issue. The connector that screws in to the bottle sometimes leak. After finish pumping, when I unscrew the connector from the bottle, the milk drips or it just simply leaks when you are pumping. This is bad design. Medela needs to improve the design again. not a happy customer !

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby Bunting for $450.00.

Feeding Methods Breastfeeding
Hi Lydia Thank you for your email and feedback. Your pump is still under warranty as Medela offers a very good warranty of 2 years for all our electric motors. If your pump is deemed to be faulty we will happily replace it. Please call our customer service department and we can arrange for your pump to be tested by our technical department, alternatively, if it is easier for you, return your pump to the place of purchase. Baby Bunting will be able to test the suction of your Freestyle pump. Please ensure the connectors are washed with warm soapy water and rinsed after each use and sterilized once per day. Sometimes a build-up of fat may cause a film on the connector can decrease suction. Kind regards PaulineThank you for your response. Apparently I have never been offered by the store to have the motor replaced. Only one connector was replaced once and now they don't have stock anywhere so they can't give me a replacement but to contact you. I would really appreciate if I could get a whole new set plus an extra set of connectors (I will pay for the extra connectors ) and I will return mine to the store.

Waste of money, time and stress a new mum doesn’t need

What an absolute waste of money. Purchased this and had issues with it since day one. It’s almost like the pump isn’t strong enough to get the double effect and I would have to pump separately. It then got to the point where I would get more with a manual pump and absolutely nothing, NOTHING with the pump, even individually. I would swap all pars around, wash and dry correctly. It was so temperamental and unpredictable. For someone who was exclusively expressing to feed bub it was the last thing I needed.

Purchased in December 2018 for $400.00.

Feeding Methods Breastfeeding

Double pumping not working!!!

I'm 4 months pp, breastfeeding. The 1st 3 months I pumped twice a day, but only as single. Pump worked great. Then I returned to work and began double pumping. Unfortunately it hasnt worked from day one of double pumping. Every session it takes me at least 10 minutes to get both sides working effectively. Sometimes it doesnt work at all and I miss a session. When it does work, I get to level 8 power level, and the machine will have a continuous beep and will either stop producing milk altogether or slow right down. And I know there is milk there. This is a $400+ machine that i have to spend $60 every 3 months for parts. I have now gone and had my pump checked at the store where I bought it. twice. Twice they have replaced the connectors. Today was the 2nd time infact and guess what, it's working worse than before I went. Its the most frustrating thing I have experienced and because if this I am ready to give up on breastfeeding. Safe to say I will not be Recommending.

Purchased in September 2018 for $400.00.

Milk Expressing FrequencyFrequently (more than once a day)
Hi Emily I am very sorry to hear about your experience. If you purchased this pump in 2018 the pump is still under warranty. Of course, Medela is very disappointed to get reviews like this but would also like to have the opportunity to rectify the problem for you. Please email a copy of your receipt and contact details to contact@medela.com.au and attention your email to me. Kind regards Pauline

Great product mega expensive to maintain

We bought a freestyle breat pump from babybunting about 1.5years ago. It is a great pump however, now shows a battery sign on screen. Called medela said buy a battery for 150$ read online pump failure faults same symbol so now to repair or swap mega $$$. Not happy so far is very hard to make a decision on what to do. Only works plugged into the power outlet. Now I am considering buying the Spectra since all I hear is good stuff and cheaper price. Hopefully medela costumer care will help me change my mind.

Hi Joe Thank you for your review. Would you mind calling me directly on 1800 787 345? I am a little unsure as to what you mean when you say, showing the battery sign (as there are several battery signs). If your pump is showing a battery sign because it is not charging that would be a fault of the pump. We offer a warranty of 2 years so if it is a fault in the pump it would still be under warranty if your pump is only 1.5yrs old. Kind regards Pauline

Good portable pump, pump parts are expensive and hard to find

I am an exclusive pumping (6 months and counting) and have been using Medela Freestyle for approx. 3 months now, before that I was using Medela Symphony (hire pump), I am also using Spectra S2 at the moment.

Compared to Medela Symphony, Medela Freestyle’s suction and comfort is no where as near, and personally, am finding Spectra S2 much more comforting suction wise and power wise. Although Spectra is much cheaper but It also has issues though (pump parts not as durable as other, similar pumps, and lacks portability, needs to be plugged in all the time, customer service is pretty average)

I purchased Medela Freestyle mainly for portability, for pumping at work/outdoors and it does the job.
It is expensive and so are the pump parts, which wear off very quickly with frequent use.There are too many parts to wash and dry.

I use the Freestyle as my second pump, use it 2-3 times a day, am finding that Battery runs out very quickly when pumping on high settings, motor unit heats up and feel suction is diminished, not as much when the unit had full power.

Outputwise, am getting the expected output, but need to pump for 15-20 mins more (than Spectra) as the letdown always takes more time (despite massaging, heat packs etc).

Customer service wise, I have had mixed experiences, it was great at times, issue resolved with one call and also not so great at other times, too many emails back and forth, so really depends on the staff I get on the call.

I’d recommend Medela Freestyle for its portability, and as a second pump if you’re an exclusively pumping mom.

Hi Regular PumpingMom Thank you for your email and review of the Medela Freestyle pump. Medela appreciates the feedback you have given, your comments have been passed on to our Customer Service Team Leader. Thank you again Kind regards Pauline

Heaven sent

Best thing to have as a mum, less stress being that you can be mobile with this pump your joy stuck on the lounge attached to the machine with no free arms to do as you please.
The charge time is great aswell enough to move around the house, pump on Long drives! It’s a great buy!

Hi Mandy Thank you for your review of the Medela Freestyle pump. It is always nice to hear how happy our Customers are with our products. Kind regards Pauline

fickle

This was purchased with little research done, but I had heard good things about Medela. On advice from a lactation consultant I was encouraged to pump to build my supply. I had previously had an Event but lost parts of it when we moved. My husband was at Baby Bunting and got one for me I wanted a double pump.

However, for the expense of the machine it is not worth it. I wanted a Spectra however couldn't wait for it on order. Whilst the Freestyle has good suction when it works it is so fickle that I am never sure what I am going to get. I can spend the first 10 minutes just trying to get it to suck. One side usually works but like others have said I am constantly pulling it apart and drying elements of it. It will then work and then suddenly stop again. Yes, double pumping is a lot quicker but with all the parts and the constant pulling it a part it is a stress that we just don't need. Trying to manage a toddler and a new born and then worry if the pump is actually going to work has just been too much.

I would not recommend this pump to people. It is a purchase that we regret. it is way over-priced, has too many parts and not reliable at all.

Good morning Nik, I am sorry to read that you have not had a good experience with your Freestyle breastpump. Can I ask have you spoken to a member of our customer service team about these issues? If not would it be possible to provide your contact details so a member of the team can call and discuss this with you and find a solution? Many thanks Medela AustraliaGood afternoon Nik, just following up on your review and our previous message. Are you able to provide a contact number so we can call you to discuss your concerns? Thank you Medela AustraliaHI, How can I do this privately? No I haven't spoken to anyone about this as I felt it was a design flaw. Yes I would be very happy to speak to someone about it. Thank you

Temperamental and unreliable

I am writing this at 4am after this pump, yet again, has decided not to work. This is one of the worst products I have ever purchased and has caused me and my husband endless frustration. The price is in no way justified. The component parts are so temperamental, that either one or both sides of the pump decided not to work at any given time and for no apparent reason (we are drying the parts constantly to ensure no water is in the system, and have even resorted to using a hairdryer to ensure no water remains in the pump system but to no avail). It is fortunate that that I have not been able to exclusively breastfeed because this pump is fundamentally unreliable. I am extremely disappointed in this product and will likely be forced to purchase another pump. Rest assured it will not be Medela.

Hi Meg Thank you for your feedback. Medela want our Customers to be happy with their purchases and offer a very good warranty of 2 years. Please return your pump,components and receipt back to the place of purchase, the store will either replace any faulty parts or replace your pump. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Kind regards Pauline

Love this with the pumping bra quick and efficient

Easy to use portable if you pair it with the pumping bra can still do work etc
I use it with the tommee tippee express and go bags with adapter and it has just taken this pump to another level.
I have used many pumps over 5 kids and this current set up the freestyle plus tommee tippee express and go kit I wish it was around 9 years ago!

Hi Melaaa Thank you for your feedback on the freestyle pump. Medela are always pleased to know that our Customers are happy with their purchases. Having the rechargeable battery is a great saving for mothers that are on the move and pump away from home often, as batteries can quickly become very expensive. The Medela Freestyle is not one of the cheapest pumps on the market but you really do get great value for money with this purchase as it includes everything you need for a mother that is expressing. Thank you again for your review, Kind regards Pauline

Great product all round

Exactly what you need in a breast pump. Efficient, comfortable, easy to use and does the job. It wasnt too loud either which is great when you have a sleeping baby next to you. I also liked that it was portable!
The only negative would have to be the fact that milk would spill out when i would lean forward too much (eg. to pick up baby), but that was a fault of my own (would be great is the design did allow for this though).

Hi Marijana Thank you for taking the time to review the Medela Freestyle. It is always nice to get such positive Customer reviews. The Freestyle is a great portable pump and designed for Mums on the move. All the best for going back, You may like to read some tips on our website for going back to work. See link below. http://www.medela.com.au/breastfeeding/advice/back-to-work kind regards Pauline

Efficient pump, like the colour

I got the double Madela Freestyle at a Sydney baby expo. It was the best looking one I can find while I was shopping around. The pump is on the expensive side but it does a great job. I also brought the pumping bra and it’s great that I get to walk around while pumping. Although it’s hard to avoid milk getting onto the bra when I take the pump away. So it’s recommended to invest two of those bra but they are not cheap.

Hi Iris, We are always pleased to receive customer feedback on our products and service and reading your review certainly put a smile on our faces. If we can be of any further assistance please call us on our freephone number 1800 787 345. Many thanks Medela Australia