Medela Swing

• Suction
  • Feeding Methods
    • Breastfeeding (22)
    • Baby Formula (7)
  • Incentivised Review Yes (21%) · No (79%)
  • Portability

Maisha21

Maisha21Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

3 babies, 7 years and still going strong

I bought this breast pump octobre 2012 when my 1st baby was 3 months old and I was stranded at home unable to go out without her, she only had breastmilk. One of the best thing I have own through motherhood. It helped me tremendously with my 2nd whilst I was super busy between FT employment and FT uni. My 3rd baby is 8 months now and we're still using it. Have landed it to 2 of my gf and one of them used it for 12 months. Amazing little thing, good for maintaining milk supply while away from baby.. It is comfortable to use, easy to transport and clean. Highly Recommended

Purchased in October 2012 at Chemist Warehouse for $250.00.

Kamakshi

KamakshiGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Bought this after doing complete search, will definitely say worth buying and very happy with the product.

Silent , awesome quality and use 4 times a day
Easy to carry and clean the parts.
Completely satisfied with the purchase and definitely recommend this one. Buyers can trust Medela for sure.

Purchased in November 2019 at Chemist Warehouse.

Tilly

TillyPerth, WA

Disappointed

For such a well advertised brand I am disappointed at how average this pump is. The suction isn't that powerful and it's very noisy. I'm glad I brought this second hand because id be devasted spending the money on it brand new. If I'd known earlier I was going to pump i would had have brought a Spectra pump!

Purchased at Gumtree for $75.00.

Tegan S.

Tegan S.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I loved this breast pump

This pump has great suction and is super easy to clean. Once you figure out what part goes where it's a very user friendly breast pump. I did find it was noisy if I needed to pump in the middle of the night but I just transferred it from the bedside table to the bed and it was much quieter.

Purchased in November 2018 at Chemist Warehouse for $200.00.

Hi Tegan
Thank you very much for your review of the Medela Swing Maxi. It is great to hear such positive feedback from our customers. The team at Medela very much appreciate it.
Warmest wishes

Janey N.

Janey N.

Research alternatives

I find this pump mostly unreliable. Most times Ive used it Ive had an issue. Milk getting in the tubing, little or no suction, hissing sounds from tubing insert. I have however fixed these issues relatively easy by reading troubleshoot forums. I find the ease of buying attachments and bottles tho appealing as medela is everywhere

Purchased in December 2018 for $200.00.

Rachel S.

Rachel S.South East Queensland, QLD

Couldn’t live without it

This pump is amazing. It’s comfy, easy to use and has lasted for two children with a third on the way. It’s still in great condition despite lots of use.

Feeding Methods Baby Formula

Hannah

HannahGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

It has good suction, doesn’t hurt your nipples, works quickly and pumps easily. Easy to clean as well, which is a bonus. Highly recommend, better than others I have used.

Purchased at Baby Bunting Physical store for $160.00.

Sibila C.

Sibila C.Perth, WA

I used the Medela swing post natally for 7 months and found it very functional and easy to use. Considering the ones I had used in hospital the swing was still very powerful and was easy to clean and maintain!

Purchased at Baby Bunting.

Hi Sibila
Thank you so much for your very positive review. The team at Medela really enjoy and appreciate reading and receiving these and also knowing that our customers are happy with their purchase.

Jane L.

Jane L.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Works well but always dies

This is my second medela swing. The pump works well but the milk often travels up the plastic tubing into the unit- and you have to unplug it to clear it out. The but has died- will not punk anymore. I can’t return it as I bought it with my older child. I will not be buying another from all accounts for spectra is the one to go for.

Purchased in June 2017 at Baby Bunting for $299.00.

laurenorrettPerth, WA

Best investment ever

I didn’t realise how hard it was to get my milk it. It wasn’t until day 5 and the midwife told me to go buy one of these to stimulate the flow. It worked like a dream and I’ve used it everyday since. I will put 8oz each morning with this bad boy! Plus feed my little one. It was a great help to my milk supply.

Purchased in May 2019 at Baby Bunting for $260.00.

HummingbirdSouthwest, VIC

Essential if you have trouble lactating!

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $190.00.

Feeding Methods Baby Formula

Larns

LarnsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Love the Medela Swing

The Medela swing is everything you need in a breast pump. I use it almost everyday to pump excess milk to avoid mastitis and blocked ducts. It is quick, quiet, small and i'm able to express 180ml in less than 5 minutes. I bought the pack that came with the bottle and lid. Only thing that would make it better is an extra bottle - one is quite limited. I'd also recommend having options for different size nipple shields as the one in the box was too small for me.

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bedding Physical store for $180.00.

NicoleSydney, NSW

Did well at first but then MOLD!

It worked well and I really liked it! At first.
I packed it away after not needing it anymore, I have recently pulled it out a month after packing it away and pumped some milk. The tab got stuck (understandably as it was sitting for a while) and milk got sucked into the machine. I opened it up straight away to find mold!!! I Won’t use it anymore and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

Nicole

Thanks for the reply, I did replace tubing and the sponge and continued to use it. It is a bit of a hassle still. I still like the pump when it comes to expressing the milk.

Medela A.Medela

Thanks, Nicole should you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact Customer Service. We will be only too happy to assist.

Lisa S.

Lisa S.

Best pump ever

I loved my medella swing when I was breast feeding! Previously had tried the advent one and it wasn’t nearly as good as this. Can be used with batteries so you can take it anywhere.

Purchased for $200.00.

lishylee

lishylee

Amazing product.

This pump is very confortable and effective to use. I have used this pump daily for months with no issues with suction etc. It is so handy to travel with, I have purchased four AA batteries that I recharge and use at home and travelling and this function is invaluble to not be stuck to a wall. It is a bit louder than the medela symphony that I used in hospital and also rented for a few weeks before I realised I would definetely benefit from owning one, the noise is no issue though and I would purchase this again as I am very happy with it. I am very happy with how much I am able to express with this product even now 9 months pp.

Purchased in November 2018 at Chemist Warehouse.

Gia J.

Gia J.

Best pump ever

After trying 3 pumps I can say this is the best!
You can clip it into your shorts and walk around the house doing stuff while pumping.
I’d recommend to anyone

Purchased in December 2018 at Chemist Warehouse for $200.00.

Jillian

JillianHobart, TAS

So easy and effective

This is so simple and nice to use compared to others I've used with my first born that can be so confusing and frustrating. Soo basic to use but works amazing. The hospital where i live use medela so it's a no brainer they're great. Easy to use on the go as they aren't bulky. They're also quiet. My medela swing was what got me through 4 months of exclusively pumping. So easy to pull apart and clean with minimal parts

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting for $200.00.

Ellie

ElliePerth, WA

Please do your research beforr buying

I wish I'd have done my research before buying this. 6 weeks in and I've have 2 membrane replacements and a pump replacement. I have been begging for a refund on this unreliable product but they keep sending me replacements. Having now researched this product I can see it is plagued in problems, with others unable to claim a refund despite the product being faulty. If this review saves one other person from buying this product, or atleast doing their research before purchasing, then it was worth it. Ive since purchased the Spectra breat pump which has stronger, reliable suction and is more comfortable.

Purchased in May 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $324.99.

dsharma

dsharmaSydney, NSW

Its fantastic

I used it when i gave birth to have breaks from BF and they are great. Just at times there would be some muck in the pipe and its sooo difficult to get rid of it. its a little bit noisy so you cant be in the same room as your sleeping baby.

Purchased in April 2017 at Baby Bunting for $250.00.

May

May

Great portable option

This pump is wonderful when out and about! Compact to pack up and discreet to use at high tea, dinner or even at the movies... Just make sure you remember all the parts!

Purchased in April 2017.

Ester

Esterasked

I've got a Swing Double Pump and I've rented a Symphony. With Symphony, milk will come out but it won't with Swing. What can I do to make milk come out with Swing?

Hi Ester
Thank you for your question. It may be best to speak to our customer service team regarding this question as there are quite a few questions we would need to ask you.
When selecting a pump deciding if it is the right pump for you depends on how often you expect to be pumping, and where you are in your lactation journey.
If you prefer you can have a look at the link below.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 787 345
Warmest wishes

Rea

Reaasked

Hi there, I have a double swing electric. I have started using it a week ago. I was using a hospital grade pump before this for 5 weeks. It was easy and quick taking no more than 20-30mins for both sides from a full breast to empty.
Since using my medela I am pumping for an hour. I don’t get any milk coming out for at least 20mins. I am massaging and assisting milk to come out but the pump is just not getting anything out in any timely fashion. It’s very frustrating.
Is this normal as my breasts are full or is there a fault with my pump???????

Hummingbird

Hi Rea, it sounds like there may be a fault with your pump if you’re pumping for that long without much milk being expressed. (Keep in mind that if you’re still in early days of breastfeeding Bub, you may not be expressing a lot anyway, but every little bit helps Bubs and encourages greater milk flow.) You may have already tried this... it’s imperative to have a good suction so try wriggling the suction cup around to expel the air first. Once the air is expelled, keep the Medela firmly in place. If you think it may be a lactation issue, perhaps use a heat pack on your breast (they have special hot/cold ones specifically for breastfeeding). Finally, I’ve personally found that using mains to power the swing is more reliable than batteries. If none of these help, I’d recommend getting an exchange. Do persevere, it’s worth it. Good luck!

Hi Rea
Thank you for your email. An hour does seem an excessive length of time to be double pumping. Please return your Swing Maxi to the place of purchase. If they have a testing kit they will be able to ascertain if the problem is with the actual motor of the pump or the connectors.
Alternatively please contact Medela Customer Service on 1800 787 345 and we will be only too happy to help.

Mary

Maryasked

Hi, my Medela swing was working fine until recently. It works good when plugged in but keeps cutting out when using batteries. I have tried changing the batteries and there is no water in the system. Not sure how to fix it??

laurenorrett

Yeah I usually keep mine plugged in. I think you need really good batterys. Maybe shoot medela an email, ask if they have any advise.

Hi Mary
Thank you for your email. Medela recommends using high-quality alkaline batteries. From a good set of batteries, you will get 2-3 pumping sessions.
We would recommend using the Swing plugged in if you possibly can and use the batteries occasionally or when travelling etc.
Pauline

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives