Medibank Health Insurance

Medibank Health Insurance

Health Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of health insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

1.5

Rude customer service

Recently asking them about covic19 support, firstly cs doesn’t have patient talking to you just want me email their department to suspend my account which means im not able to claim anything, when I asking them how about other companies doing offer their member free cover for 6weeks they simply said no idea to me. When I start questioning they don’t even want to discuss with me further.... speechless such a bad cs team and I was members with them since years can’t believe how they they talk to me like that.

Dan

DanSydney, NSW

Rude Customer Service

Went into Medibank private at warringah mall to make a claim and the customer service rep could not have been more rude. Continued to berate me for not going to Medicare to claim first and just continued being aggressive. Soooo rude!

Tibi

TibiMonash 2904, ACT

Terrible service

Recently cancelled the overseas visitor insurance with medibank. The call centre person told me that there will be a fee of $50 for refunding the balance amount, from a monthly premium medibank has taken it from the account as direct debit. The time when we signed up to medibank no body from medibank told us there will be a fees of refunding any balance amount. The call centre person also suggested, in the future dont go with direct debit with medibank just go for a month to month payments.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2019

Alecia

AleciaSydney

Glitches

MedibankMedibank

Beware of this Company at all costs!

I was sold by false representation a policy that was only good to claim the tax rebate. I only discovered this when I was virtually on an operating table about to have a procedure. I know it was my responsibility to read the policy but I was vulnerable at the time and was taken advantage of by a Medicare employee no doubt trying to meet sales targets. When you correspond with them you get a pro forma letter with the appropriate bits changed.to your name. DO NOT EVER INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY !

Claim DateAugust 2016

Hi Dave,
I am sorry to read of your experience .We’d love to look into that for you. We just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Anna

Expensive, bad service, bad advice, dishonest.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2020
MedibankMedibank

Hi Umair, I’m really sorry to read of your recent experiences with Medibank.
I have just sent you a private message to see if we can assist.
Kindly, Jade

Failed all round

Failed to transfer insurance from previous fund. No one answering their phones for over 30 mins. Chat function staffed by monkeys. I can't imagine how much more incompetent they will be when I have to make a claim.

IndyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Dishonest and untrustworthy

Hi Indy,
I am sorry to read you aren’t covered for the service you require. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Thank you.

I have already cancelled my policy. I just wrote this review so other people are aware of the tatics that are used by Medibank in order to weasle their way out of paying even a $

Medibank Subscription & Claim

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020

Hi Soren,
Thank you for your review and we'd love to follow up your wife's claim. I've sent you a private message.

Soren
Soren
Medibank P.Medibank

Linh

LinhCanberra 2600, ACT

Would not let me cancel the policy on behalf of my mother

So my mom doesn't speak English. I rang them to buy her an oversea health insurance when she was visiting me. All was fine and dandy when I paid for it. Now as the coverage period had expired for a while, I wanted to cancel the policy for her (ironically, in order to purchase another one). They would not let me do that, insisting to talk to my mom, not allowing me to translate for her, and they don't even have their own damn translator. Where are all the language hurdles, why don't you want to talk to my mom, when you grab the money?? What kind of doing business is that??

Hi Linh,
I'm sorry to read about your experience and we'd love to help. I've sent you a private message.
Joshua

Joined today and alredy disappointed

I joined today - from another provider, my details weren't complete and an important information was emailed to me instead of a phone call. Who has time to watch their emails all day when they have kids and work commitments. Medibank was very quick to call me for my credit card details - no wonder why it's got a bad rating. I am moving as soon as i can.

Medibank P.Medibank

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent joining experience. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything further we can do to help.
Hayley

Da T.

Da T.

Happy with them and will re-consider

I've recently change my private insurance to another one due to my employer subsidise the other funds (and a higher level of cover).
During the time with medibank, claiming is easy (I claim my max. for dental/optical). It does takes longer than expect for them to close my account and provide the certificate, but the refund of premium is quick.

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your review and feedback. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Amy C

Amy CSydney, NSW

It has been worth it! 2 years so far - TOP HOSPITAL TOP EXTRAS

My partner has undergone surgery, no complications. Just had to pay for the Excess which is to be expected. We have claimed online via & via hi-caps terminal the app for our massage, physiotherapy, dental, orthodontics and podiatry with no problems. Always receive the reimbursement within two weeks of submission. The only thing I have to claim manually was our bill for the exercise physiologist. The only thing I do not like about the extras cover for Pharmacy -Can not claim anything that is under $50.00 - I found the pharmacy part in your extras and a waste and not useful. Even if you have a product you purchased for $60.00 the reimbursement is under $10.00 not much at all. Other then that Medibank has been good.

Coverage TypeCouple
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Hi Amy,
Thank you for submitting your lovely review. Concerning pharmacy, if the item is over the PBS co-payment of $41.00 then benefits can be payable. If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to let us know. - Joshua

Poor service when it mattered

Been with Medibank for over 20 years. A consultant recommended we switch our policy to ensure a better return based on changed circumstances. They didn’t listen and cost us thousands.

Hi Fiona,
I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the service you received. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

chris tedburyPerth, WA

Lost an eye 7 years ago, Medibank pass the bill onto Medicare they paid my bills Medibonk took my money they are SNAKES

Lost left eye 16/6/2013 went to Lions Eye who saved me Medibank took Medicare paid over 100 visits to Lions and my private health cover paid
NOTHING they are nothing but thiefs!!!

Claim DateApril 2020

Hi Chris,
I am sorry to read about your experience with your claim. I've sent you a private message asking for a few more details so that we can follow up. Thanks, Joshua

Very bad service

Lodging claims are not easy, some claims you have to print a form and post it- there is no online option. Customer service staff have poor product knowledge to give any advice.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Hi Kath,
I am sorry to read about your recent experience in submitting claims with Medibank. I've sent you a private message asking for a few more details so that we can follow up. Thanks, Joshua

Dysfunctional to the core

Good luck to anyone who wants to call in and figure out whether a particular procedure is covered by their health plan before they actually have it done. Medibank refuses to provide any information on coverage unless you, the consumer, furnish a Medicare item number whilst doctors, quite rightly, refuse to provide you with one until they've been able to assess what you actually need. Totally useless customer service experience, and total crapshoot what you're actually going to be able to claim back

May B.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very poor humanity and compassion

A one star for being disgusting humans and increasing the premium at the time when people are losing their jobs homes and lives! But there's not much anyone can do about it definitely not the regulators! Thank you for adding to the suffering. This is a very objective point of view.

May B.

I also asked for a 3 month freeze since all electives are cancelled and I, along with probable everyone won't be using private insurance and I haven't heard for 3 weeks! You are taking our money without providing any services!

Hi May,
I am sorry you haven't heard back in relation to your request to suspend your policy. I just sent you a private message to check your eligibility.

Sharon C

Sharon C

Price increase

Why have I just received a statement with the price increase on our policy when Medibank said they were freezing it. Not happy at all ,we have been with Medibank for over 20 years but feel like moving to another insurance company that offers a Better deal

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Coverage TypeCouple
Jim C

Jim CNorth Queensland, QLD

Delay on increase was bunkim

I received a text message to say that my premium increase was being suspended for 6 months. On 1 April my premium went up from $ 152 to $ 163. Why?? I will be changing funds.

Hildaasked

My husband has throat cancer. We can have the operation immediately if we pay the specialist $5000. Could we get any kind of medicare rebate on the amount as we are both elderly but in otherwise good health. My husband is in pain and the waiting list has lengthened due to the corona virus.

chris tedbury

Well I take it you don’t have private health cover, I did and was basically forced into public If your catagory1 like me they said we must do within 30 days perhaps sera a more sympathetic doctor and beg him to get to catorgy 1 they cannot watch him die

Hi Hilda,

Thanks for getting in touch. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Please note, if your question was intended for Medicare please get in touch with Medicare at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/contact-us.

Hilda

Hi Anna, thank you for your message. The surgical team at John Hunter Hospital at Newcastle has taken care of my husband and he is down for surgery next Friday and it will be fully funded by Medicare. The relief for both of us has been dramatic. Hilda

Reddy

Reddyasked

Why do medibank doesn't have claims via email? It is always not possible for us to go to stores or post at this stage and submit our claims. It would help customers if you have some generic email to submit claims which other insurance companies offer like BUPA?

Hi Reddy,
Thanks for your question. Most claims can be submitted via the My Medibank app.
If you need help accessing your online account, please don’t hesitate to send us a private message or contact our Contact Centre on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEST) for assistance. Thanks,

Manpreetmnu M.

Manpreetmnu M.asked

Do medibank pay 100% pathology expenses

Hi Manpreetmnu,
I just sent you a private message so that we can look into that for you.
Anna

Get an answer from our members and Medibank representatives