W169, W176, W168, W177
See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mercedes-Benz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Expert Review

• Interior Design
  • Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Nice car, expansive to run

Just bough a Merc A180 2019 W177 with 10000km. After filling the tank, 43l, the first time, it shows 436km and I find it unbelievable for a luxury car like this, it can do only 436km. I called Mercedes and was told, it may change in due course, well, from the comments here, I can see, it is not only my car who is able to only drive such short distances. Very disappointing and I would not have bought it, if this would have been pointed out to me. The first gear is very slow, the sports seats are fantastic and the overall feeling is that of luxury and safety. Unfortunately I was taken for a ride by the car dealer and paid way above so stay away from Westside Auto Wholesale!

Purchased in March 2021 at Westside Auto Wholesale for $50,000.00.

Deborah T.
Deborah T.

GLA tailgate nightmare

Manufacturing fault I’m told by the repairer Tailgate doesn’t close. Only use the tailgate once a fortnight, the car is pristine always serviced I’ve looked after it. The bolts holding it to the top of the car let go. $1000 fix. Mercedes would not entertain the idea that I hadn’t damaged the car in any way at all. This car has 50k on it. To my knowledge the car was out of warranty by 7 weeks. After waiting over 2 months for a response I was told it was my problem. Not happy will never buy another Mercedes or recommend them.

Purchased in December 2018.

Car Chick
Car ChickMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great car

The car is overall not bad for the money! Quite zippy for your city driving in and out of town!! The led lights inside the car are pretty cool as they can be set to ur favourite colour!!

Purchased in March 2020 for $92,000.00.

Caroline S.
Caroline S.Perth, WA

Love love love my car

I've owned other cars but the Mercedes A180 is the best I've ever owned .

It's stylish, sexy and economical .

I get alot of compliments , it's great for parking and has many safety features I love

Purchased in September 2017 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers for $45,000.00.

Great car yet Very Expensive in Fuel

Purchased in February 2019 at Private Seller for $30,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

Great car until the temperature hits over high 30s and then it goes into meltdown. It has left me h

I use and relay on the car for meetings and long to and from work drive. I need a car for both summer and winter. The car is used daily and not due its first service. Clearly not tested for our harsh summers. You don't expect this from a new car.

Date PurchasedSept 2018
JaxTeneriffe

Love this car!!

After recently moving to the inner city, this little car is awesome, being both economical and looking great. It drives super well on the highway!! Service during and after sales also excellent. I am definitely a Mercedes convert. Would highly recommend if you are looking for a small car that's really roomy.

Engine Size1.5L Petrol
Date PurchasedSept 2018
Mi Sanders
Mi SandersGold Coast

Super fun car!

Love this car! Absolutely great drive, it’s gutsy when I need it to be and super economical when I feel like it. Another great feature is its cute noise when the turbo is activated! I also love the vision package with the sunroof and the sporty look that it adds to the car. So fun to drive!

BadgeA250
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Rob
RobForster

Car is quite good but so many tyre problems

Date PurchasedNov 2014

Rayzar
RayzarHobart, TAS

Mercedes A180 - Great Car

Recently changed over from a Subaru Impreza to a new Mercedes A180 which was purchased through Mercedes Benz Sydney. They had the car we wanted, in the colour we wanted and their level of service was excellent. The car itself is everything we wished for so we are looking forward to many years of driving. The interior is classy, the exterior looks great and it handles as you would expect a Mercedes to.

Engine Size1.6L Petrol
Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Mike
MikeSydney, NSW

A180 City Edition is AWSOME

I bought A180 City Edition in black color. It's basically the A180 with AMG rings, LED head lights and Apple car play. Its interior is neat and eye catching. No cheap plastic is used. All leather or quality fabric.
The sound system is nice although it's no-name! Seats are sporty and very stylish but not perfectly comfortable. It has a small boot size so if you tend to move things such as suitcases around you have to be careful with this.
The engine has so much power, and it accelerates fast. It really turns heads.

Engine Size1.4L Petrol
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Engine light on!!!

Bought A250 4matic 2017 brand new last year. Today it has engine light on! The car has only travelled less than 7800km. Not even 1st service done yet!
So upset with this big brand! I have checked everything that i could.
Towed to MB service centre.
Will update asap with outcome.

BadgeA250
Engine Size2.0L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedJune 2017
Christy
ChristySydney

A180 good looking, premium small hatchback!

Recently, I have purchased my A180. I am loving it! This is a small hatchback with sporty look car that is good for everyday drive. The interior is neat and classy although, I have to say the head room is really small. The back seats have slightly bigger head room but still, comparing with its competitors like A3, its not that good.

Engine Size1.6L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedDec 2017
placktaylor
placktaylorGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Love the sporty look!

Love my A180. I had a B180 for 6 years and thought its time for an upgrade. Looked at the B models but decided on the A because of the sportier look. I bought this car mainly for the park assist and reverse camera which I find very useful. The satellite navigation system is superb too, no more Melways in the car! .

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Loving my A200

I purchased my new Mercedes Benz A200 from MB Toorak and let me start off with the outstanding service received from Peter and Rohan along with the rest of the team! real welcoming showroom! the car itself drives amazingly well, going from a Kia to a Mercedes was quiet the jump and i do not regret it one bit, the interior finishes are just amazing the infotainment system is easy to use, the seats are pretty comfy as well, the performance of the car is just wow words cant describe, im also amazed at the minimal amount of cabin noise. the petrol refils are expensive but i can look past that as the car just always amazes me! glad to be apart of the Mercedes Benz family and look forward to my next purchase at MB toorak being an AMG :)

BadgeA200 Turbo
Date PurchasedSept 2017

Michael JS
Michael JSasked
A-Class Hatchback

I have a Mercedes A-200, 4 years old. Bought with an extended Mercedes warranty and Mercedes insurance
I had a terrible experience where the drivers window lever buttons started losing their dark gray surface exposing what looks like white plastic. The same issue happened with the electronic brake in the dash.
They told me it was considered a trim and not covered by warranty. Very disappointing . This is the second Merc I have owned, and in 40 years of driving I have never seen this

Has anyone had such an experience and did Mercedes end up fixing this

david philpott
david philpottasked
A-Class Hatchback

I have a 220 cdi auto, 2014, just recently the car seem to skip through the gears and won`t go into reverse. if you turn off the engine it seems to reset it self, any ideas?

Alexandra S.

why don't you take it to mercedes for a service or at least a checkup? I believe they charge something like $200 for diagnosing the issue

Anthonyasked
A-Class Hatchback

Anyone else had an issue with engine thermostat? My A Class 2014 has done just under 90,000 and now I have to pay $1900 to replace the thermostat due to the work involved to get to the unit and replace it.

Jax

Hi Anthony, no issue to date. Ours is only a 2018 model with only 12,000km or so. I am picking that going forward though, all parts will be a little expensive.

Anthony

Ok many thanks and all the best then.Y ep parts when needed can be costly, typical issues on slightly older 4-6 years 90K + can be things like the thermostat. Our previous MB became costly, Turbo's wear out after 100K. Other then general service costs, not usually many costs though.

See all Mercedes-Benz A-Class Hatchback questions

Compare all 14 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Hatchback
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $47,200$48,800$49,500$54,800
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Engine4 Cylinder 1.3L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power120kW @ 5500rpm165kW @ 5500rpm165kW @ 5500rpm165kW @ 5500rpm
Max Torque250Nm @ 1620-4000rpm350Nm @ 1800rpm350Nm @ 1800rpm350Nm @ 1800rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Apr 2018Apr 2018Apr 2018