Mitsubishi Magna

Ahead of its time

Bought this car in 2004. Apart from standard servicing, all i've replaced is a headlight globe. That is it. With 300k on the clock she still runs like a dream. Smooth, good power, comfortable. It is still a daily drive. No oil leaks and uses a tiny amount of oil between servicing. In fact I'm so impressed I've bought a mint VRX TL for garaging.

Purchased in July 2004 for $16,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Compatibility magna radiator

Just a question . Does 1997 magna v6 auto radiator fit tj 2002 radiator are they compatible n because im trying to find a compatible radiator to suite my 1997 magna

Purchased in September 2018.

BoughtUsed
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Beautiful car

Have had this car, the LS version, V6 since 2010, bought second hand with 80K on the clock. Has been an absolute great car. Goes like a rocket. The Gallant V6 motor is super. Now has 240K on clock and still going great. Some oil leaks to fix now but that is normal.

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedMay 2010

Most underated car ever

For great used car value i dont think you can go past the old Magnas and Veradas. Very reliable low kilomtre cars can be found for very reasonable money. Ive had about 4 of them over the years, and love the economy of the V6 and also the performance. I never buy one that has more than say 160,000 on the clock, even though i know theyll do many more.... I dont trust previous owners to maintain them properly. Always look for a well kept interior as well. Because they are cheap a lot if people treat them terribly, but get a well kept low kay car and you wont regret it.
Recently bought a 97 Verada with the 3.5.... Magic car, but may be a tad thirstier than the 3 litre. Most Magnas have cruise, and power windows, so not much difference.
I had the rarer 2.6 lire 4 cylinder as well, in a TE. Very cheap to run and even with higher kays was still a great performer, - but the V6 is G e one to get.
Hope this helps someone.

BadgeAltera
Date PurchasedFeb 2015

RELIABLE CAR

I drive the Magna daily. It came with a factory fitted Impco LPG system. I have owned the car since new and have done 160,000 kms with no issues. It has been serviced regularly every 10,000 kms. Having dual fuel is brilliant especially now with the cost of petrol. You can run this car for the price of a small 4 cylinder hatch. It is such a reliable car I have no reason to part with it.

Date PurchasedSep 2004

Most reliable car owned.

Partners first car (10 years ago) serviced every 12 months lately as not used much, was every 6. The only single item we've had to replace in ten years outside of scheduled maintenance as per the manual was the heater core for as it had corroded.

Whoever says Magnas are not reliable has never owner one.
255,000km and counting.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

Great Car. Even though it's near 20 years old.

I purchased my Magna for $850 back in July 2018, and with 5 months rego, what a bargain. Obviously at this price it needed some minor work. However after spending some money on it getting it mechanically sound again and ship shape, it now literally drives like a brand new car. Being a TH Sports Edition, with 288000 on the clock, damn, never before have i had a car that drives this well, with this many kms on the clock. Handles great, drives like a sports car, and goes fast. Very impressed at a car with such age, could still be in the condition externally and internally and mechanically, goes like the clappers.

To make matter worse the bloke i brought it from hadn't looked after it, meaning no oil changes etc for over 4 years. After 2 seperate oil changes 1000km apart, everything is how it should be and after putting into a local mechanic for timing belt, fan belt, a couple of gaskets replaced and some other minor work like brakes, rotors etc, she is a brand new car again so to speak. I highly recommend this type of car to anyone looking for a reliable and exceptional run about.

BadgeSports
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Most underrated Australian car

If kept up with maintenance you cant get a better family car, big boot for the double pram. If serviced regularly they drive really nice and are very reliable, I'm definitely planning to keep mine for a long time, just fix what us needed and keep up to services and you'll have a good car for a long time.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Excellent car

Got mine second hand. It had just over 100,000 k's . It now has 351,000 & still going strong. Plenty of power, plenty of room for a family, great for trips. A little thirsty for around town driving. Good handling. Found it to have a bit of oversteer but not a huge problem. Just passed it on to my son to add another 100,000 or so

BadgeLS AWD
Date PurchasedJan 2011

Never misses a beat

I had a TF Magna and loved it but wanted the sexy looking TL model which I have now owned for ten years and has 268,000 km on it. Mainly driven around the city but has been to Kalbarri and done 100mph no problems. Also it is after market duel fuel LPG and I occasionally run it on ULP91 to lubricate the ignition. The roof lining collapsed but cost $200 to have relined. Paint fading on roof as most older cars do. Electric window controls broke but bought another from a wrecker. Parts are so cheap.. although an interior door handle is tough to find! Servicing is easy and uses no water or oil! I am now looking for another one with low kilometres!!!

BadgeLS
Date PurchasedMar 2008

Smooth ride and exceptional reliability

I am currently driving a 1999 Altera LS TH.

I use this car for my job as I work in the community, I do transports and drive to people's houses. I recently hit over 200,000 KMs, and have done about 50k KMs in this car since I bought it. I've never had any break downs and it's never missed a beat. The only trouble I have is that it burns a bit of oil, but I have heard for most V6 magnas, a lot have the same issue. Fuel efficiency wise, depends on how much travelling I am doing, but as a lot of it is starting and stopping, I can be putting a lot of fuel in over a period of 2 weeks ($100 - $150)... I enjoy my car and I love the power behind it, there is also plenty of room inside to stretch your legs.

I just wish it was a bit more fuel efficient and didn't burn through oil!

BadgeAltera LS
Date PurchasedJun 2014

Reliable work horse

Mine does 1000km per week and has now done 435,000km, in my travels on country roads to and from work. Averaging 8.1L per 100km it is remarkably fuel efficient for a car of its age. It is very comfortable to drive and due to regular servicing I have never had a mechanical issue. Still running very well, and I would recommend to anyone seeking a reliable work horse.

BadgeAdvance
Date PurchasedMar 2003

Outstanding car

It is one of the best car of the segment. runs smooth, and has a superb grip on the road. It is a 6 cylinder car, so is a bit heavy on fuel, but the power u get is amazing. It is a great car for family. great design and super comfortable seats with ample space inside.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Never fashionable or cool, but one of the best Aussie built cars ever

With my simple 3.5 litre TJ Executive wagon nudging 300,000km, only now starting to use a bit of oil and never having had anything let go that wasn't an expected wear item, it has now surpassed what I've ever had out of an Aussie Ford (XF) or Holden (VL). It hasn't seen a garage a day in it's life and how it isn't rusting is a complete mystery (try that with a VL!). Even in '86 the Magna was better built than the VL or XF but with that horrifically bad 2.4 Astron II it deserved to get hounded by all. What the Adelaide crew did to arrive (peak IMO) in 2002 at the TJ was amazing. A superbly built car with an engine like a dynamo. Find one that has been well looked after and with less than 200k on the clock and you have a fine car that will be cheap to run, more power, bigger boot and lower fuel consumption than a typical SUV plus spare parts everywhere and sensible tyre sizes. Only hitch is how far the world has moved in safety terms; if you want safety, you can't look as far back as 2002. Sure, at the time it was up there; it stops quicker than a Falcon or Commodore or the same vintage (higher power to weight too, ahem), it has ABS, EBD and an Airbag or two but that doesn't cut it in 2017 and it no doubt dropped off the bottom of the ANCAP scale a while ago..if that's on the priority list for you. For now, I'm enjoying the last few years before inevitable retirement (of the car that it).

Date PurchasedApr 2004

The undervalued car, Magna.

Magna is undervalued for some reason can't figure out why but probably people didn't like v6 with front wheel drive ?
Like typical Mitsubishi you can Service Magna at long intervals and it won't matter.

V6 with fuel economy close 4cylinder sedan but smoothness and comfort exceeds small sedans of course.

It's nice and silent when it's running and stays smooth and stable at speeds exceeding 100kmph too.

Mine is manual vrx and returns fuel economy of 7.8L/100km in highway driving and about 8.3L/100km in city driving.

I love it totally.

BadgeVR-X
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedApr 2015

TJ VRX MAGNA I LOVE THIS CAR

From the moment I first jumped in this car I was in aww!!! I turned the ignition and the dash lights up red what a shock then turn the ignition again and the engine roars to life pull out of the driveway and take it for a test drive down the road oh!!! the power so smooth the way it holds you firmly into the seat with the sheer amount of torque and the sound of the engine resonating through the exhaust.These cars were so underrated Mitsubishi's biggest mistake were they were not advertising the amount of power and torque from the 3.5 litre power plant and how it was delivered to such a beautifully refined transmission these cars were quicker than falcons and commodores of this era this includes their sport models and V8s I have had this car now for 7 years and I spare no expense at all on this car it still looks looks as beautiful as the day I got it drives like new it has 230000ks on the odometer I only use all the quality fluids for it I have never had an issue with the car it never uses oil.The transmission is still perfect after all these years shift is so smooth still pink oil every service. The interior is absolutely stunning still looks like showroom finish I could not recommend a more well built refined car that still is up with today's technology in performance believe me the amount of audi's and BMW's that try to get me to race off at the lights but I never do I baby it everywhere although I do get the compliment's on the way it looks this was by far one of Australia's best built car's I do believe they are the WOLF IN SHEEP"s CLOTHING this is coming from someone who was a dead set Ford fan that took this particular car for a test drive and was sold within about 30 seconds of driving it that's my opinion anyways.

BadgeVR-X
Date PurchasedOct 2011

TJ all the way!

I reckon the TJ is the best looking, the last 2 models frontal treatment, was a matter of what were they thinking?!
When they came out in 2000, I was seriously considering buying the VR/X model, I was driving a TP at the time,
(am still driving a TP -not the same one though) anyway, recently I bought a 2000 TJ Executive, in awesome condition, for $300. The performance is better than my 300SE Mercedes (which cost considerably more)

Date PurchasedOct 2016

400,000ks+ magna

The car is perfect has over 425000 ks on the odo and it still runs like brandnew never had the gearbox or engine fixed or replaced has never been serviced and runs like a dream, still my favourite car and as a manual! Gears go through beautifully and will never regret my decision with the roomy interior

BadgeSports
TransmissionManual

Probably Australia's most underrated car. Reliable. Comfortable. Powerful. Efficient

A lot of people like to bag magna's. They gained a negative reputation after the second series had gearbox problems. The third series is pretty much bullet proof and well above the Holden and Ford. The 3.5 litre engine is smooth and efficient. If you are looking for a cheap reliable used car, look for a Magna built after 1997 with one or two owners and a full service history, and it will be hard to go wrong. My 99 Model has 215 000km now, and while it's getting pretty banged up on the outside, doesn't use a drop of oil or water between services and still drives very well.

BadgeAltera
TransmissionAutomatic

Reliable, powerful, smooth drive, 12 years 200 Kms on the clock and still going. Go Magna!

Performance is perfect still going the way it was bought, very smooth handling quick response on wheel turns.
Noise is quite compared to other cars.
Dash is great of course not as fancy as current models (12 years later) but I will still say better than most of current model Toyotas.
It's MY2004 but when I bought it in 2008 it had already done 70Ks I have since done 130 and got it converted on LPG, and it is quite cheap to run cost me around 30-35 to do 400Ks per tank (60 lts).

Great car, only things I have changed are the tyres and brakes over the period.