Netgear AC1900 D7000 Nighthawk

Netgear AC1900 D7000 Nighthawk

MPN: 36502458

Does the job well, great range. Everything is working well

We had a basic modem/ router given to us from our ISP provider. It wouldn't connect all of our devices as it couldn't handle the amount we wanted to connect. We have security cameras, ipads, and phones. Nothing too crazy but we needed something more. I was recommended the Netgear Nighthawk from a forum post in Whirlpool. It wasn't cheap but we gave it a shot. All our devices connect and work well. The range is far better than the modem/ router we have. The Nighthawk is relatively easy to install with great service backup from Netgear customer call centre.

Purchased at Computer Alliance for $279.00.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices
ISPiiNet
ModemTechnicolor TG789

Great extender

This Netgear D 7000 nighthawk is a great extender, easy to set up, but most of all the performance is great, I have it set up to transmit both 2.4 and 5 gh, with alot of testing the overall transfer rates we very good.
If you are looking for a very good extender go no further.
I use it with a D link ac 1600 python, work flawlessly.

Purchased at eBay for $130.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPExetel Broadband
ModemD Link ac 1600 python

Not too bad

It does what is supposed to do. Maybe a bit weak for a two storey town house to cover both ground floor and first floor but at least covers an entire floor.

Purchased at eBay for $219.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband NBN 25 (Essential)
Reliability

Terrible wifi, keeps dropping out, especially if Guest network is enabled

Unreliable wifi, to the point of it becoming useless especially when the guest network is enabled. With the Guest network enabled, it frequently kills all the normal wifi channels. Rebooting the modem fixes it briefly, but will hang again randomly.
I used to have other NetGear modems/routers before, but would stay clear after this experience. This was meant to be a good router for wifi, with good range. Range may be good, but stability is a joke. Do not recommend.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
Reliability

I purchased 3 routers before this and the WIFI was terrible, slow speeds and dropouts. This router has fixed all of my issues. Quality connection and perfect WIFI speed. Multiple devices streaming with no problem.

Setup was a bit of a pain but once you get there its excellent.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $230.00.

Number of Connected Devices 15 devices
ISPAussie Broadband

Warning! Buyer Beware

This router was returned within 24 hours of purchase. All the faults reported in the reviews below were experienced by myself. Connection dropouts on WiFi & Ethernet! Netgear Genie software would freeze and the router would require a hard reset. Please consider other brands and stay away from this product.

Purchased for $240.00.

Number of Connected Devices 10 devices
Reliability

TRASH - Worst modem I've ever used. STAY AWAY.

Where do I even start?

This modem is the worst, most incapable and inconsistent piece of junk that I have ever had the displeasure of using and to top it all off, Netgear's post-purchase customer support is the most pathetic, illegal; practically non-existent 'service' that I've ever attempted to use. I would rate this modem 0/10 if Product Review had the option. Read on for details:

● THE MODEM ●
The Nighthawk D7000 has caused 7 months worth of daily issues and has dragged my family through a nasty dispute with Telstra and even the NSW Telecommunications Ombudsmen. It simply fails to maintain a reliable connection; dropping out daily between 10-20 times, and half the time it's too stupid to reconnect; forcing the user to turn the modem off and on again. The modem's inconsistency was present when using factory settings and after editing the settings to Netgear's suggestions.

If you rely on your home internet connection in any way, shape or form, then think twice before buying this scrap heap. Members of my family require a solid connection for work and study and the Nighthawk D7000 made those things an impossible task. For those of you thinking that my connection issue was caused by Telstra, I can 100% confirm that it was not Telstra's fault as the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 has completely resolved the issue.

● NETGEAR SUPPORT ●
This is where my disgust for Netgear as a company developed. Netgear's shady technical support team (located overseas for your information) refuse technical support for their products after a 30 day period. Even if the item is faulty, they simply will NOT help you unless you PURCHASE additional support services for a ludicrous price. I could not believe they were refusing to help me with their broken modem. I took the modem back to the retailer, got a full refund and have vowed to NEVER purchase any item related to Netgear ever again.

● A HISTORY OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITY ●
Netgear has a history of anti-consumer practices. Read the following report, published by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission themselves, detailing the exact issue that I have experienced:

Notice that the article is published in Feburary 2018. Netgear refused to help me in Feburary 2019, exactly 1 year later, proving they have not changed their ways and will do everything to swindle their customers. Take my word; from someone who is very tech savvy and has extensive knowledge of consumer rights. Netgear ignores the fundamental laws surrounding fair consumer practices and they will make your life hell.

We bought the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and the internet is running reliably at maximum speed.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi for $298.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
Reliability

Two devices, both had hardware faults

I replaced a Netgear router that got zapped from a lightning surge. The nighthawk was purchased and installed without issue would dropout at least once a day. After many setting changes, testing phone lines, replacing cables and splitters it was deemed faulty.

A brand new replacement was provided, however it had a different fault and would not detect DSL from the first moment. I returned it to Officeworks whose return policy is great, and with my refund I purchased D-link and it installed perfect and operates perfect.

I would have wasted at least 20 hours over 2 months on settings, phone calls, recabling, resetting router....because of poor quailty control on hardware.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

NOT WORTH IT

I went to get a new router because our iiNet one, didn't reach to our bedroom which was 12m away from the modem.

I was going to buy another router which I had researched on this site and which had all good reviews, when the guy at Good Guys said that this was the best.

After setting it up I was horrified to see that it actually performed worse than the iiNet modem. It dropped out more often and even the ethernet connection through our TV started to stall.

I have NBN at a speed of 30MBps per second, on my computer which is 10m away from the modem, You tube will glitch.

We have changed where the modem is and I have also changed my computer to the 5Ghz channel and that has made some improvements, however I would not recommend this modem as it just seems to deliver the same performance as the freebie from your Internet provider.

I've kept the box - any more issues and it will be going back.

Very fast router on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Set up in a matter of minutes in router mode behind an Optus cable modem, replacing an earlier wireless router. I have 27 devices connected, almost all wireless, a mixture of 2.4 and 5Ghz with no issues. Performance is really good. If it continues to work this well, I'll be very happy with it. BitDefender looks like a good addition.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

I'll be reselling my 2nd replacement on Ebay.

Unlike everyone else here, I found it very easy to setup with the NBN. It recognised straight away. My biggest gripe is that after a few months, it started to drop devices off the network, so I was resetting it on a daily basis. It would also get quite hot. After a long trouble-shooting talk with Netgear, they replaced it. After a few months, same problem. Despite telling them it was dead, no power their Tech Support still goes through a long laborious method. I've been waiting for a replacement for 5 months, and have been using a $29 Modem Router in its place.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Avoid D7000 v2!

v1 worked fine for me but unforunately died because of a lightning strike. Received D7000v2 as a RMA and from what I've read on Whirlpool, they've switched out the Broadcom chip for an Intel one and it is terrible. Disconnects me constantly to the point where I cannot even leave my pc running to download games while I'm out.

Netgear support sucks, just kept promoting a 49.99 telephone support or some other pricing for 180 hours of phone support. Netgear please, I don't want to pay money to listen to you monkeys try and fix my problem over the phone when it clearly is a hardware issue. I'm switching over to D-Link.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Buggy & difficult to optimise wireless for NBN

Don't buy this Netgear D7000 night hawk.. Too hard to set up to get maximum benefit of NBN over wireless networks.
Couldn't rename my wireless networks without freezing the unit.
I took it back and got a full refund. The staff were very understanding having had a number of units returned!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Its not plug and play! Over 8 hours of tech support to set up.

I strongly advise you NOT to buy this product unless you have the patience of a saint, lots of time on your hands, and network experience, or preferably all three.

I'm not a tech Luddite and it still took all me 8 hrs and then 4 hours stint to set up the Nighthawk. The issues were; passwords not sticking, one band the 5g working but not the 2.4g, then the 2.4 g working and then not then the 5 g working. I had to reset it to factory setting twice. The firm wear was out of date at purchase so I had to update with the Netgear tech support. The Netgear help desk staff, based in the Philippines, were lovely but they didn't listen to the problems and kept on trying to sell me lifetime tech support. I can understand why as their products are not user-friendly and don't seem to be set up to run smoothly with the tech support not recommending auto updates to the nighthawk's firmware.

The nighthawks range isn't as great as promised in store which was the reason I went looking for a new mode, at best it was marginally better than my old modem. It's a modest space the wi-fi has to cover being a 2 bedroom apartment. I regret not taking the Nighthawk back and asking for a refund after 1 to 2 hours of trying to set it up.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

A possible problem with the modem/router or simply a dud unit (update)

Not sure whether this is problem or not. I bought this modem/router mainly as a testing device to see whether my current modem/router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800) is having issues, or not. It had been working like a clock for over a year.

Anyway configured the D7000v2, updated firmware to V1.0.0.51_1.0.1 after initial setup, and it appeared to work fine, however locked itself up after about 4 hours uptime i.e. all lights working but no throughput via wired or wireless interface. Could not even login into the router interface with a direct connection from PC. Hard powered off this morning, then powered back up. Keeping an eye on up time today. If it plays up again, I'll return it for a refund or a different unit. So far, not really impressed. I have a purpose built equipment cupboard that allows airflow, so heat should not be an issue at this stage of the game.

UPDATE: The unit behaved itself for 4 days. Then decided to go on the fritz again. Went down 2 times in 3 hours i.e. all lights are on but no one is home. Unit taken back for a replacement unit. New unit is the same model and has currently been up and running for 1 day with no problems and original in box firmware V..41. I'll reserve further judgement until this thing has been stable without any downtime for 2 weeks. Stay tuned.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Bad product

Terrible modem router! I've already had it replaced a month after I purchased it as it refused to connect. It's now playing up again with the wifi slowing down frequently to as little as 0.02MBPS despite the speed into the router being constant at about 6.5MBPS. After this experience, I'd never buy Netgear again!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good Router but setup is unclear

FFTP home. Setup is not explained well, make sure to go to the advance settings -> Select 'Must use WAN'. If this is not ticked, the NBN to your home won't work as the port is defaulted to DSL. Other than that, performance of the Router is very good with nice wide coverage, in particular 5GHz works brilliantly.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

D7000 Nighthawk & OPENWRT

Great modem/router for advanced users when combined with OpenWRT.
Quick DSL connection and strong wi-fi signal throughout the house.

Had a couple DSL dropouts, however, could be ISP related.
The only issue I've come across is the connected devices count appears to be incorrect & the access control seems to be sketchy as the best of times

Other than that I can't complain.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Excellent speed

Reliable fast speeds, never drops out.The setup was easy and the user interface is quite simple and easy to navigate. Good coverage through house- across 4 walls. It has a good help section on their website, great for a low device count network but if you have more than 10 devices I recommend other brands.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

The Best!

This is absolutely the BEST modem/router I've ever owned. Set up is a snap. Wireless signal deliver is rock solid. It even has an unobtrusive sleek look. I run some of my devices on the higher band and others on the lower. I do wish it had slighly larger control lights on the bottom front, but that's just a personal thing.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Just purchased this and set everything up and it connected my phone to the wifi but no other devices seemed to want to connect, including ones that were connected by enthernet, tried everything it said but wouldnt work, thoughts?
You may need new or updated (software) drivers in your devices that you want to connect via WiFi. Usually if the device that you want to connect via WiFi has the WiFi facility built in, it will pick up the signal and all you have to do is use the password that comes with the Modem or NTU (NTU is a digital both ends modem) to pair the Modem - NTU signal to it. I hope this makes sense. If you have more problems you could go to the shop you bought the Nighthawk from or ask for help from a local computer shop person.Get your money back - I have had two units replaced under warranty and now the third unit has problems - right now I have no 2.4Ghz wireless and only 5Ghz works.... there have been many complaints about this unit. My 2nd unit lasted 6 months until the ethernet and wireless completely stopped working. I run a home business so I can't afford to keep sending back faulty units (at my expense I might add).... so for me it's goodbye Netgear and hello Asus.

i have nbn through optus modem which has port for the phone line. How do I connect the phone line in the netgear nighthawk d7000v2
You don’t. It’s not supported with this terrible modem

AC1900 D7000 Nighthawk