MPN: 36502458

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Unit replaced twice already, third is a lemon also NETGEAR SUPPORT AWFUL

I would like to point out I have had this modem router replaced twice already.
My internet has begun to drop out intermittently but often, my ISP narrowed it down to the Nighthawk.
Thought bugger it, I'll get rid of this lemon of a router, replaced it with the ISP supplied Netcomm modem router, and haven't had a drop out since.
I decided to use the Nighthawk in bridged mode so I could still used the wifi side of it.
That now stuffs up all the time.
If power is dropped off to the unit, then the SSIDs don't come back until I log into the router and click "apply settings" in the wireless page.
Spoke to netgear support, they are still a nightmare.
They told me my router is no longer under warranty as the warranty starts when you buy the first router, not from receipt of the third router.
So even though I've only had it under two years, I bought the fist one a few years ago.
They also asked for me to provide them with the following information. This was a pain for me and took me over 3 hours. I can only imagine what it would take someone who wasn't as savvy.
I requested to send the device back to them at my cost for them to run every test they want to, the refused and asked for this. Note the depth of information, incuding a list of every connected device in my house.
It's appalling.

Hi Michael,

Good Day!

This is Lionie again from NETGEAR Level 2. As what we have discussed over the phone, we need to gather details from your network including the debug logs from your router so our Engineers can do an analysis about the issue and provide recommendations.

To start of please provide us with the following:

• What is the current firmware of your router?
• Have you tried different firmware? (note the results of each version tried)
• Please provide us the MAC Address of the router.
• What error are you getting from your devices? Can you take a screenshot and attach it to the case?
• What devices are affected?
• Is setting the device operation mode to router make any difference?
• Do all devices disconnect at the same time (list names and models)?
• Does issue happen on both bands?
• Is smart connect enabled or disabled?
• Description of Environment (i.e. - distances, floors, brick walls).
• Is moving closer to the router makes any difference?
• What is the status for each LED light when the issue is happening?: (on/off/blinking/color)
• Network diagram/Topology: (MUST provide a specific model/version of ALL devices and how they are connected)

• Please provide us a copy of the configuration of the device. To get it please refer to the steps:
1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
2. Type the IP address of your device.
3. Enter the router user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
4. Click ADVANCED > Administration > Backup Settings.
5. Click Back Up. Specify a location on your network.

• What is the router's LAN IP and admin password?
• Screenshot of “ADVANCED” homepage.
• Screenshot of “Attached Devices” list.
• Screenshot of “Show Statistics” found on advance home > internet port.
• Debug logs from the device while issue is happening. Please refer to the steps on how to get the debug log:

1. To reproduce the issue 1st unplug the device from the power outlet.
2. Plug it back it after a few minutes or all the lights normalize, check if you are unable to detect the router's WiFi(as what reported as the issue).
3. Connect a computer wired to the router. Open your browser.
4. Go to <router's IP address>/debug.htm.
5. Click Start Capture. Let the debug capture run for 10 minutes while the issue is still happening.
6. Go back to debug page and click Save Debug Log

To attach the files to support case please refer to the steps below:

1.Go to https://my.netgear.com and log in using your account username and password.
2.After logging in, click the My Support button. The My Support button is highlighted in the screenshot below.
3.Click on the case reference number to which you want to attach the files. At the next screen, see your open technical support cases.
4.Tick the “I wish to add an attachment with this response” box and click the SUBMIT button.
Note: It is required to have a message inside the message box to proceed.
5.Click the Choose File button, browse the files on your computer, and upload them to the support case.

File accepted are PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, DOC, ZIP. Maximum Size allowed is 30MB.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance.

I look forward to your response on this.

Warm regards,

Lionie
NETGEAR Level 2 Support Expert

Purchased in January 2017.

Number of Connected Devices 15 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN 100 (Family)
Reliability

Connection drops and unit freezes

internet and all local wifi constantly drops off and unit needs rebooting almost every hour! I have decent experience with modems and routers and right out of the box it has had many issues even after factory resetting and updating, I haven't even customised settings how I want because this unit cant even work normally!

Purchased in September 2019 at goodguys for $270.00.

Number of Connected Devices 12 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband NBN 50 (Unlimited)

Reliable

Has been a good router for many months now. Good speed wireless and wired. Very few drop outs and getting in and changing settings is quite easy going confidence with security and setup. I have many devices connected wirelessly and this router cope well.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for $260.00.

ISPiiNet ADSL
ModemR6400V2

Terrible Product

I bought this product in May and have had issues from day 1. Constantly drops out and freezes up as stated in other reviews. The firmware updates didn’t really help and actually made the situation worse as of yesterday 10/8/19 netgear advised the product is actually faulty and I need to post it back to them and they will post out a refurbished product. I’m buying a second hand one on market place for $50 to use whilst I wait for the refurbished one to arrive. I think I’ll try and take it back to JB Hifi and see if I can get a store credit to get a different make/model.
In summary don’t buy this product - too many issues.

Purchased in May 2019.

ISPTPG Broadband ADSL

Freezes up

The modem/router will freeze up every couple of days which disconnects everything connected to it, to rectify this I have to turn off and on again quite an annoyance. Also it gets Really hot, however setup through the genie was very quick and easy.

Purchased in March 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $229.00.

ISPTelstra Broadband NBN

Worst customer support

Netgear the worst company. I called to ask for the set up guide for the internet and the only thing they wanted to do is to sell me their technical support membership for over $130 a year. They are no help and I will never use them every again and will tell every person I meet not to deal with such a bad company. Now we cant set up the internet and got no help. Worst customer support.

Purchased in February 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPiiNet NBN Satellite (Sky Muster) NBN 25 (Standard)
ModemNetgear AC1200 D6220

Regret

I honestly wish I had gotten something else, anything else.

Connection will randomly drop -only on the 2.4ghz! Even with every possible channel tried it just does not stay stable, the same goes for the speeds.

For the price tag it is also severely lacking in features such as advanced admin controls.

I'm hoping it's just a really bad area for WiFi so I have a chance at a consistent connection when I move house. I didn't think I would need to return this and regret not keeping the box in better condition.

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Home for $424.00.

Drops connection randomly + more

Not not buy this product. I'm an experienced IT professional and could not work out why certain devices were dropping connection randomly. Also, each time I switched any device back to the 2.4G connection I'd have to reenter the password for some reason. I spent 6-8hours trying different things but concluded the best case scenario (for Netgear) is that it was a faulty unit. I finally gave up and returned it and swapped for an equivalent level competitive unit from another manufacturer. It worked right away with the same config. What a waist of time the D7000v2 was. Don't repeat my mistake.

Purchased in June 2019 for $340.00.

ISPiiNet NBN 12

Great Modem and wifi signal

Just started using netgear d7000 couple days no problems at all on adsl with iinet. Very easy to setup within 5 mins was on the net. Great speed no dropouts and great wifi.

Purchased in March 2019 at Officeworks.

ISPiiNet ADSL

Pretty good router

was using a Telstra smart modem/router gen2, awful and occasionally with a high lag. Totally cant stand. After using this, internet became stable. BTW, easy to setup and control. The only one problem is cant read the netgear extender via APP.

Purchased in March 2019.

Unreliable- 2.4 frezes. Stay away

I am now on my replacement modem- as the original one was replaced by Netgear. The replacement modem also freezes up. The 2.4 band drops out- the modem needs to be rebooted e.
Please do your own research - there ate plenty of reports on line

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

Reliability

Very difficult to get up and running

Purchased the Nighthawk D7000v2 to get better wifi coverage in a two story town house, and while the wifi part works well the connection to the internet was a saga to get sorted.
The first of two units was returned the second is now up and running but gee it was a long drawn out task.

Concerning the first unit, ater many hours on the phone with NETGEAR support, I was told if I wanted any further assistance I would have to buy! a support package if I wanted to go any further with their support. They said they had pinged my router and there was nothing wrong, so there was no more they could do for free.
Begrudgingly I paid the price for a support package and spent many hours on the phone with different assistants, to be told in the end that the modem was faulty and I was to send it back and they would send me another one. I complained about the support cost after being told it wasn't faulty and to their credit they did refund my money (Tick)
So a New Modem has arrived and because my provider modem was working fine I put it in the cupboard because I was scared of going through the process of many hours on the phone again if it didn't work. well after a fair while I have decided to install it ..... and it is working, but it took ages and some intuative decision making. Followed the instructions tried to log onto the router to config it but it doesn't want too go to the log on page via the browser. funny thing is it tells me there is no internet well that's because it wont connect so frustrated with it. After many attempt and after some restarts I finally got it going. But following the instruction it just wouldnt go to the log in pages kept coming up with no response from router or would get the first page but not the second. I just kept refreshing the page sometimes 8 or 9 times and finally the next page would come through, this happened for every page. Finally I got to the internet config page and got to enter my data and the same thing happened but I refused to accept defeat and kept refreshing the page until finally success.
Its early days now but appears to be working fingers crossed it stays working.
Would I buy another one probrably not.

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

ISPBelong Broadband ADSL
ModemSagemcom F@ST 4315
Reliability

Does the job well, great range. Everything is working well

We had a basic modem/ router given to us from our ISP provider. It wouldn't connect all of our devices as it couldn't handle the amount we wanted to connect. We have security cameras, ipads, and phones. Nothing too crazy but we needed something more. I was recommended the Netgear Nighthawk from a forum post in Whirlpool. It wasn't cheap but we gave it a shot. All our devices connect and work well. The range is far better than the modem/ router we have. The Nighthawk is relatively easy to install with great service backup from Netgear customer call centre.

Purchased in February 2018 at Computer Alliance for $279.00.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices
ISPiiNet
ModemiiNet TG789

Great extender

This Netgear D 7000 nighthawk is a great extender, easy to set up, but most of all the performance is great, I have it set up to transmit both 2.4 and 5 gh, with alot of testing the overall transfer rates we very good.
If you are looking for a very good extender go no further.
I use it with a D link ac 1600 python, work flawlessly.

Purchased in February 2019 at eBay for $130.00.

ISPExetel Broadband
ModemD Link ac 1600 python

Not too bad

It does what is supposed to do. Maybe a bit weak for a two storey town house to cover both ground floor and first floor but at least covers an entire floor.

Purchased in December 2018 at eBay for $219.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband NBN 25 (Essential)
Reliability

Terrible wifi, keeps dropping out, especially if Guest network is enabled

Unreliable wifi, to the point of it becoming useless especially when the guest network is enabled. With the Guest network enabled, it frequently kills all the normal wifi channels. Rebooting the modem fixes it briefly, but will hang again randomly.
I used to have other NetGear modems/routers before, but would stay clear after this experience. This was meant to be a good router for wifi, with good range. Range may be good, but stability is a joke. Do not recommend.

Purchased in December 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Reliability

I purchased 3 routers before this and the WIFI was terrible, slow speeds and dropouts. This router has fixed all of my issues. Quality connection and perfect WIFI speed. Multiple devices streaming with no problem.

Setup was a bit of a pain but once you get there its excellent.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for $230.00.

ISPAussie Broadband

Warning! Buyer Beware

This router was returned within 24 hours of purchase. All the faults reported in the reviews below were experienced by myself. Connection dropouts on WiFi & Ethernet! Netgear Genie software would freeze and the router would require a hard reset. Please consider other brands and stay away from this product.

Purchased in January 2019 for $240.00.

Number of Connected Devices 10 devices
Reliability

TRASH - Worst modem I've ever used. STAY AWAY.

Where do I even start?

This modem is the worst, most incapable and inconsistent piece of junk that I have ever had the displeasure of using and to top it all off, Netgear's post-purchase customer support is the most pathetic, illegal; practically non-existent 'service' that I've ever attempted to use. I would rate this modem 0/10 if Product Review had the option. Read on for details:

● THE MODEM ●
The Nighthawk D7000 has caused 7 months worth of daily issues and has dragged my family through a nasty dispute with Telstra and even the NSW Telecommunications Ombudsmen. It simply fails to maintain a reliable connection; dropping out daily between 10-20 times, and half the time it's too stupid to reconnect; forcing the user to turn the modem off and on again. The modem's inconsistency was present when using factory settings and after editing the settings to Netgear's suggestions.

If you rely on your home internet connection in any way, shape or form, then think twice before buying this scrap heap. Members of my family require a solid connection for work and study and the Nighthawk D7000 made those things an impossible task. For those of you thinking that my connection issue was caused by Telstra, I can 100% confirm that it was not Telstra's fault as the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 has completely resolved the issue.

● NETGEAR SUPPORT ●
This is where my disgust for Netgear as a company developed. Netgear's shady technical support team (located overseas for your information) refuse technical support for their products after a 30 day period. Even if the item is faulty, they simply will NOT help you unless you PURCHASE additional support services for a ludicrous price. I could not believe they were refusing to help me with their broken modem. I took the modem back to the retailer, got a full refund and have vowed to NEVER purchase any item related to Netgear ever again.

● A HISTORY OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITY ●
Netgear has a history of anti-consumer practices. Read the following report, published by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission themselves, detailing the exact issue that I have experienced:

Notice that the article is published in Feburary 2018. Netgear refused to help me in Feburary 2019, exactly 1 year later, proving they have not changed their ways and will do everything to swindle their customers. Take my word; from someone who is very tech savvy and has extensive knowledge of consumer rights. Netgear ignores the fundamental laws surrounding fair consumer practices and they will make your life hell.

We bought the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and the internet is running reliably at maximum speed.

Purchased in April 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $298.00.

Reliability

Two devices, both had hardware faults

I replaced a Netgear router that got zapped from a lightning surge. The nighthawk was purchased and installed without issue would dropout at least once a day. After many setting changes, testing phone lines, replacing cables and splitters it was deemed faulty.

A brand new replacement was provided, however it had a different fault and would not detect DSL from the first moment. I returned it to Officeworks whose return policy is great, and with my refund I purchased D-link and it installed perfect and operates perfect.

I would have wasted at least 20 hours over 2 months on settings, phone calls, recabling, resetting router....because of poor quailty control on hardware.

Date PurchasedNov 2018