Netgear Nighthawk M1

Netgear Nighthawk M1

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Fred Bo

Fred BoMurray Region, NSW

Not very reliable or fast

Bought this as I thought it'd be better than hotspotting my phone. Instead it crashes on a daily basis and has to be manually restarted. WiFi goes down when the unit crashes.

Purchased in October 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 1 devices
ISPOptus Broadband

Juanita

JuanitaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Burn this product

Signed into a 24 month contract. Battery issues from day 1. Only got about 2 months use out of it. Telstra would not acknowledge the issue, have since found out it was a common problem. STAY AWAY from this product unless you want to pay for absolutely nothing. Not happy

Purchased in January 2017.

Has been a nightmare-chews data in ridiculous amounts. Cannot get shaped plans and excess data charges are extortionate.

Connectivity is Ok, data use rates are massive ( for data download of 1.5 MB..... 4-6 MB often disappear and on one occassion several GB. We paid a massive excess bill and received no warning we were nearing limit.

Purchased in May 2017.

Thieves.

I was ripped off big time by Telstra in the past and vowed never to return. Fast forward 15 years and my Hubby, not from here convinced me to give them another go. Bought the nighthawk and had battery problems from day 1. It chews data in ridiculous amounts and as usual, there are insane excess data charges and a long lock in contract. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Purchased in January 2019.

Joe D

Joe DSydney, NSW

Super Fast

The Nighthawk M1 is the fastest portable modem i have ever come accross, its only available from Telstra but provides reliable fast internet, i get 50gb speed. Easy to use and battery powered for on the go

Purchased in December 2018 at telstra store for $250.00.

ISPTelstra Mobile Broadband

Bindi

BindiSouth East Queensland, QLD

Inconvenient data gobbler

The Nighthawk chews up data. Our first night used 9Gb while we were sleeping and Telstra couldnt tell us where it went. Their solution is to only turn it on when you need it so it’s NOT an equivalent to a landline modem. About 1 hour of downloading emails and printing one document used 3 GB. That’s after turning off windows 10 updates iPhone updates as suggested by Telstra.
We used the Telstra online calculator to work out how much data we would need based on our usage with ADSL, and 50% goes overnight. We are handcuffed in a contract that renders internet useless to us. We just don’t use it because it’s Expensive, inconvenient, with no remedy offered by Telstra. Definitely one to be avoided.

Purchased in July 2019.

David

DavidSydney, NSW

Piece of cr*p

Forced to sign a 24 month contract with Telstra. Sales man at Telstra kept trying to up sell me on other products. Kept say was fine with my current Telco but he didn’t stop. Got product home and took a while to set up ( instructions have missing steps). Couldn’t get WiFi signal, despite router right next to laptop and living in town. Never emailed my contract as promised. Trying to return product and cancel contract ( in cooling off period) but can not get onto Telstra

Purchased in March 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
Reliability

I wish i didn't buy this!!

I wish i didn't buy this!! It has to be on the charger all the time, it does not last a full day whithout being charged. It struggles with the wifi when conecting more devices, and the internet becomes slow till non. It has only one prehistoric button on it that works the device.. you have to use this button everytime you want to use the interner, as sometimes it connects automatically and most of the time you have to manually connect. I had netgear device before and should have known better as they took that old model of the market. I also had battery issues with, but heaps better conection. Expensive square box this is!!

Purchased in November 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $355.00.

Rubbish

I have had problems with it from day one. At first it would connect to my devices but would not send through a feed. Now it's telling me That I have an unread message but when I go to the app there's no message there. It has serious software issues and was obviously released before the software was ready.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Emmy

Emmy

Not bad for a Pocket Wifi Style

Super easy to set up and get started with, hardly any drop outs and great connection speeds if you are reasonably close to the unit. I would most definitely suggest that you use this system in a small appartment not a house. I am with Telstra and the service is very good.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Nighthawk won't power up

Just out of the box October 2018. Started up from the box Ok. Left on overnight and the thing is just dead. It was left plugged in.
As soon as I plug it in it tries to start up. I get a blue light flash, then orange light flash, then the screen tries to start and it shuts down. That’s it. Tried many times-removed and reinstated battery etc.
Very poor Telstra promoted product. Certainly not for business users. Maybe for kids and others.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Tarra48

Tarra48South East Queensland, QLD

Wish I hadn’t bought

Had no end of issues with this device. I only bought as the one I wanted was out of stock, it was also cheaper, so now wish I had waited.
Range is really poor compared to my previous simpler pre-paid device. Had the SIM changed and that seemed to help for a short time. Speed is there if you are connected by USB - I was getting 50Mb/s, but drops to 1/20th of that if connected by Wi-Fi. Drops out so I have to reboot regularly. Now it will connect, but does not give me internet despite having plenty of allowance left.

Resorted to using my phone as a hotspot as get better connection. Going to try and exchange, though I have heard that can be hard to achieve with Telstra.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

WHITE SNAKE

WHITE SNAKESnake City

Good product and shop

Bought the portable nighthawk modem from mount Omaney, Brisbane shop. Very good service from both managers. The modem is very good due to technology. Also I got 30gb a month for 45 dollars which is extra gigabytes atm

Andrew

Andrew

Reboots, not stable

These are the facts.
I can reproduce multiple reboots within 30 mins in certain locations in the Melbourne CBD.
Some locations it is rock solid.
Telstra don't know why.
Reboots are not useful mid video call.
I took it back.
I would not recommend getting one of these devices if you need "good" internet.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Rubbish coverage

Absolute rubbish for the price.
Near zero wifi unless your standing on it and needs to be restarted almost daily to maintain connectivity.
My previous Telstra elcheapo dongle had twice the coverage!
I even went to the expense of adding an external antenna with very little improvement!
Backup service is also woeful.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Lewy

LewyPerth

Rubbish

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Scott Harkness

Scott HarknessWollongong

Very good product

OK so Im an IT guy and I use these for a few customers that need an emergency internet device or as failover. Works great as a hotspot have had 5-6 people at once with 4GX and working great. Even use with SIP phones and works good as long as you have full 4Gx coverage from Telstra. The USB port on it is good too because you can use the built in battery as a power bank to charge an iPhone. Only downfall I have of the product is if you've left it on for more than 2 weeks it seems to freeze and have to power cycle it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Rod Booth

Rod BoothRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Dropping Out

My NightHawk is good until you go into another room, and then it mostly drops out. I changed to this from a smaller , older dongle that had a much better distance range than this NightHawk thing. Don't buy . I have gone back to my Old one but unfortunately I am still paying my Monthly fee.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Ash

Ash

Excessive data usage

The M1 is designed for two things; fast internet and making LOTS of money for Telstra through excess data charges. This thing chews data like it’s going out of style. How much? Let’s see- some some reason, downloading a file of around 3 Gb used up over twice that in data. It doesn’t make sense, but other users are having the same issue. It may have to do with the minimum data blocks of 128mb. Avoid like the plague unless you have a very rich uncle or an oil well

Date PurchasedMar 2018

STSM

STSMSydney

Terrible, hangs in 3g areas, and no solution from telstra

This unit is troublesome, it may work well in 4g areas, but does poorly in 3g areas, the system hangs, loses connection, firmware updates cause more issues than they solve.

They will not give me a spare unit to use until they solve the issue with the current device, in other words, what internet I can get, even that they want to take away.

They won't fix the positioning of the tower or update it, I have had this issue with Telstra on different devices and their service for over 10 years.

I called Telstra support, this was their exact quote: "Telstra won't spend money for a few hundred people" so what they saying to me is tough luck.

Telstra does not care.