MPN: 36525853

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Terrible connectivity, software updates a nightmare

The connectivity between the satellites s and the router are terrible, we have two that are less than 5 metres apart, line of sight down a set of stairs yet we constantly loose connection. Constant drop outs, very frustrating

Purchased in September 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 7 devices

Absolutely love my Orbi

Best decision ever to buy the Orbi. Having a large, double brick house, getting wifi in every room was hard. Over the years we tried many things, but nothing worked in every room.
That was until we bought the Orbi, we now have perfect reception in every room. It’s fast, never drops out and was so easy to set up.
It wasn’t cheap, but it was so worth it.

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

ISPTelstra Broadband NBN 50 (Unlimited)
ModemTelstra Gateway Max
Reliability

Wanted one for ages and not disappointed

I've wanted one of these for ages. I ended up buying for my work when we got NBN. We are using hard wire ethernet to connect the two units. It didn't seem to work well using radio between the two. Setup was a bit fiddly. Performance now set up is great

Purchased in April 2019 at eBay for $449.00.

Number of Connected Devices 10 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN

Netgear Orbi RBK50-100 Tri-band wifi satellite and extender

100% recommend this product. It is worth every cent. Doubled MBPS throughout house (close to 100MBPS), the set up was a little fiddly, we have pretty good IT knowledge. Once connected all devices switched over. Without the Orbi internet speed was intermittent. We run off NBN (was better on Cable). Purchased from JBHiFi in Prahran, female consultant very knowledgable about product. Thank you

Purchased in June 2019 for $499.00.

Number of Connected Devices 7 devices
ISPOptus Broadband NBN

Finally full coverage

This has finally solved all of the coverage issues we were experiencing with a single WiFi solution. It was easy to set up but be aware it doesn't include a modem so turned my old WiFi Modem/Router into a modem only and connected up the Orbi.

Purchased in May 2019 at Costco.

Number of Connected Devices 20 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN
ModemASUS AC1900 DSL-AC68U
Wi-Fi Range

Best thing I have ever bought.

Thanks to orbi I now have i internet throughout the whole house and also outside where i previously could not get any internet. Can definitley recommend this to anybody who has problems with wifi distance.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $450.00.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 12

Speed is excellent

I bought one base + one satellite a couple of months ago. Easy to setup. I just follow the manual and complete setup in minutes. (Probably because I'm an IT engineer) It provides mesh network and the speed of online surfing, streaming is good. But the coverage is not as good as it advertised. I have a room 2 walls behind the base. Sometimes, I can't get connected to the WIFI in that room. And it's too expensive.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Great for very large houses

I bought one of these two unit packs because I was having some issues with wireless coverage at the back of my house. It works quite well, however I had found that it was too powerful for my house (medium sized house) which meant I had to turn down the power of the antennas down to 50%. Before doing this I would find that my devices were switching between the two units too often.

Netgear support was not very helpful in setting this up, which is why I have taken one star away. I had to find support elsewhere online to resolve the issue. I also had a few glitches with the initial setup, and found that I needed to upgrade the firmware in 4 stages because the unit I got was so far behind I couldn't simply go to the latest version. This was frustrating and made for a poor experience, and would be impossible for a non-technical user to follow.

In closing, I would recommend this unit to fairly technical people who are comfortable with firmware updates and manually setting channels and power output, but I would not recommend this as a plug and play solution for the general user. Instead, the general user should probably stick to the ISP recommended modem/router so that they can get proper support for it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Brilliant, the difference is staggering

We linked up to the NBN and the internet speeds were TERRIBLE! 0.5 - 5.7mbs on a good day using Netgear's earlier system. It dropped out regularly too requiring us to reboot the modem. We even had a tech guy come out and try and tweek it but to no avail.
We upgraded to the Orbi Netgear system and BOOM the speeds went up to to over 30mbs!!! I can't rave enough about it. - we had 2 extenders included for a our large house. Expensive but worth every penny.
Easy to install, zero dropouts and copes well with multiple users too.
Don't waste your money on cheaper systems. You have to get this system. You will not regret it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Great when it works but very unreliable.

I can’t really recommend this product. The app is buggy and the satellite access points are very difficult to set up. I gave up trying to get additional access points working. The range of the access points is terrible like the tech support. My networking knowledge is intermediate to advanced and I can confidently say its not user error.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Amazing product! saved all our wifi issues

Our IT guy set one of these up at home as the modem is in the office but it needs to service devices such as Apple TV, Streaming Hifi (Naim Audio) plus all our devices.
Since we've ad this there has been almost zero problem with wifi as we've had in the past.
connectivity is excellent, it was quick and easy to set up and the reach for signal is impressive.

i would highly recommend one of these for anyone that relies on strong wifi for all devices.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

it works great. Full house Wifi coverage. until the next firmware update

I had this for 30 days but have to make a return as the automatic firmware updates breaks the wifi.

I replaced my Google wifi with Netgear Orbi RBK50 AC3000 due to the good reviews it ave received. I must try it.

It great when it works:
- great wifi coverage anywhere inside and outside the house.
- consistent wifi speeds with no or little black spots
- simple Web interface and IOS App
- easy too setup and you are good to go after 20 minutes

But:
- I had to make an initial call to Netgear support to get a stable firmware as the internet connection consistently breaks without any reason.
- unit automatically updates the firmware overnight. This broke the wifi and internet connections. I reverted to the good firmware but next day it updated again.
To fix it, I need to do a factory reset and configure the router again. All while my family is on my back asking why the internet is not working.

I cannot do this every time Netgear releases a FW update. I opened a Netgear support case on the app, but I don't think they look into that. No response after a day.

I have to decide let it go while I could and sent it back where i brought it from.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Immature

I have a larger 2 storey house - federation style with pressed tin ceilings, fireplaces etc; lot of interference. WiFi signal struggles to get half-way across the house. I had some older 3x Apple Extremes scattered across the house and ethernet cables connecting them, but they operated as 3 different wifi networks.
Decided to upgrade and selected the Netgear Orbi AC3000 (incl. 1x RBK50 & 1x RBS50) based on a number of good reviews. Installation wasn't too bad, not as easy as described, but no major challenge either.
Found that the distance was across the house was too much so had to install 2 more satellites (1x RBK router next to the cable modem, 1x upstairs, 1x middle of the house and 1x other end of the house) to ensure full coverage & optimal performance.
When everything is functioning correctly, performance is great. I do find that every now and then I need to re-sync all the satellites because one has lost its backhaul connection. Considering there are 4 units, they should perform a little better than that. Price isn't cheap once you start adding more satellites. Would be better if they could be networked/ backhauled via ethernet cable instead of radio.
The App struggles to see all the satellites and you need to wait for it to pick them up. It functions fine, albeit a little unstable (when compared to the older Apple Extremes, albeit a different standard).
Would certainly recommend the product if you want the latest technology (higher speeds), just need to be a little patient with it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great wifi extender

After building an extension, including upstairs, I needed a wifi extender to reach all parts of my house. After doing my research, I decided to get the Netgear Orbi AC3000, and have been very happy with its performance. With the base station and one satellite, I now have full wifi signal upstairs (when I used to have weak or no signal), throughout my downstairs house and garden, and even a couple of houses down when I'm walking down the street. The range is excellent, speed of streaming on multiple devices is excellent, and I have had no problems with stability.

I did have a problem with the initial setup, however, and that's why I didn't give it 5 stars. After setting up the orbi base and satellite with no problem, I then did a firmware upgrade, because the app told me that there was new firmware. This was a big mistake, as after the upgrade the orbi could not connect the base station, and was giving me error problems, despite the fact that it worked perfectly prior to the upgrade. It seems that there have been some issues with different firmware updates, and it took me a lot of fiddling before I finally reset to factory defaults, to get it working again. So no more firmware updates for me at the moment, and I'm very happy.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great Product, it states and it delivers

I had minimum bar levels with my router downstairs so when I installed the RBK50 it delivered what it stated. I am very happy overall with its performance as the speeds are very good ensuring very good WiFi coverage downstairs. Foxtel Go works very good with very minimal or hardly any video buffering.
I highly recommend this product.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Orbi Solved all problems

I bought the Orbi Ac3000. This solved every problem I had with the net. I have approximately 22 devices connected to the net and there is no lag anywhere. Streaming with apple tv has no buffering or delay everything works. I get off my wifi 8 ping and 100+ download so there is no loss of speed. I have also installed it at my factory and now everything runs faster and no delays the speed we got from the supplied router was about 7mps now with the Orbi we get 13 - 17mps and no delays. It was the best investment I have made for internet usage.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great WiFi but stability can be an issue depending on firmware

I'm really happy with the WiFi signal of my Orbi system (base and satellite) in my 3 bedroom, 2 storey house. I don't think I've had any wireless dropouts but there have been a number of issues with the automatic firmware updates and the subsequent connectivity issues. It appears that Netgear are now allowing you to perform the updates when you want to rather than them being automatically pushed - this is a welcome change! There are a minimum of 11 devices connected (mostly wirelessly) and I never experience performance issues. My favourite feature is the single SSID. I'd definitely recommend this product to someone wanting whole home WiFi!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good coverage but a nightmare for gaming (QoS is rubbish!)

Overall the product does what it's supposed to, ease of implementation, good coverage and speed around the house. However, if you're a gamer playing FPS games that requires response time to be priority, look elsewhere! Their QoS menu is dismal, with the only option is to run a speedtest and manages it automatically in the background.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Great Product!

We had very bad WiFi coverage with the NBN Modem/Router supplied by Telstra, but with the ORBI problem solved! NBN modem is located in the garage so with the supplied modem WiFi signal in the living room was terrible but with the Orbi system, coverage is perfect all the way in the backward! (House area is 320m2)

Easy to setup, great design, and the Orbi App is a great tool, specially when you are able to manage the usage by individual devices, specially to control children's usage!!!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Was fantastic but latest firmware updates have ruined it. Now a Disaster Area!!

Had Orbi for exactly a year and it has been good as gold connected to my NBN box, with great coverage everywhere. The latest set of firmware updates to 2.1.2.18 (automatic) have left me with a non-functional system, connections lost on a regular basis, app unable to connect, unable to login to Orbi and more. A quick look at Netgear communities shows hundreds of frustrated Orbi owners "Very frustrating because I've had the Orbi for a few months now and cannot return. It WAS rock solid before upgrading. " I have tried downgrading firmware, resetting everything and all to no avail. Planning to dump the whole Orbi thing and move to Google Wi-fi unless I can get this sorted. Total waste of $600!!!

Date PurchasedMar 2017