NIB Health Insurance

Worst choice ever made by selecting Nib

I have claimed in June, now its September more than 4 months and still waiting for response and if i call them they just want 7-10 business days every time and i complained about it too but no one responded on that. Now they are saying its been assessed and they don't know anything about my claim. I would never recommend anyone.

Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Lakhveer, We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. Could you please send us a private message with your customer number, date of birth, home address and details of your claim so we can look into this for you? We are always working toward improving our service and hope that we can provide an answer to your claim enquiry quickly. Many thanks, Helen

Waste of time and Money

Sky rocketing premiums and ZERO service.Useless service.
Sorry to say your retail team in Canberra is bunch of clowns who dont know even answer the basic question.
Good bye NIB.Poor offers in the market.

Book AgainNo
Hi Rakesh, We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. Could you please send us a private message with your customer number, date of birth, home address and what issues/questions you have and we can certainly help you. We are always working toward improving our service and hope that we can assist you with any issues you have had in the past so that we can have a positive relationship in the future. Many thanks, Herlen

Don’t waste your money on NIB travel insurance

Save your money don’t waste it on Nib travel insurance. The fine print is very fine and won’t benefit you in any form of travel delay.
18 hours delayed yet doesn’t meet requirements??

Claim MadeYes
Hello Mark, We are sorry for the experience that you have had. If you would like us to look into this further, please contact our travel department on 1300 410 272. Kind regards, Peter

Another Australian Company with a completely useless Call Centre

Tried to find out why the premium deductions for my PHI were varying from month to month. After a frustrating experience with the bot they use for Online Chat I had to revert to the Call Centre.
Some very pleasant young Asian lass who unfortunately knew absolutely nothing about Private Health Insurance.
We had a nice little chat but in the end all it was good for was for me to submit a formal request for an answer, in writing, to my query.
How about having your phones answered by people who actually understand the product you sell?

Claim MadeNo
Hello Alan, We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. Could you please inbox us with your customer number, date of birth, home address, so we can look into this. We are always working toward improving our service and hope that we can assist you with any issues you have had in the past so that we can have a positive relationship in the future. Kind regards KylieJust got off line with Jasmine on Online Chat. Another one who thinks her time is more important than mine and another one who cannot answer what is a pretty simple question. I'm hoping the message that I require a written response to my query has got through to her but I seriously doubt it.Hi Alan, I'm sorry to hear you feel I was not able to assist you however as per your request via chat, I can confirm the email has been sent to you with all information. If there is anything further we can assist you with please let us know via email or contact us on 13 16 42. Kind regards, Jasmine

Wish they'd stop trying to upsell

I have been happy enough with the health insurance policy I have.
But lately I'm getting mail and phone calls trying to get me to sign up for life insurance.
I will never accept unsolicited offers like this, and if it happens again I'll be cancelling the existing policy too.

Fraudsters - Harassers - Potential identity thiefs

Earlier this year I set up a NIB policy to cover myself and my 2 daughters. 3 payments came out because someone there had fraudulently created 2 additional policies in my 3 year old and my 6 year olds name, using my credit card details.
It took 10+ phone calls and many transfers of clowns there passing the buck. Until eventually, I just called cancellations and "Posed as" as 3 policy holders in 3 different conversations and had all 3 policies cancelled.
See how ridiculous that sounds?
NOW - Since then, I receive No less than 3 phones calls per week from NIB asking me to come back - find more suitable policies, other crap like that. To each, being that it is NOT the offending fraudster I initially dealt with, I politely decline and insist that no one from NIB ever call me again.
We are now about 3 months after that initial problem, 3 calls a week, 3 seperate assurances per week that my details will be removed from NIB's call system and here we are… with me, receiving my SECOND phone call this week from the same call centre here in Brisbane. A lady yesterday via online NIB Chat - Gave me her word in writing that my details would be removed and offered a Manager to confirm by email to me. Not yet happened management!

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Claim MadeNo
Hello Dan, We would like to apologise for the inconvenience that you have been caused. We understand a member of our team has been in touch regarding this issue. If there is anything else that we can assist with, please let us know. Kind regards, Peter

Value for money

cheaper compared to others. You will get service for what you paid for. Was very easy to set up and claim lodging options are good. Will definitely recommend to people looking for cheaper option.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Viraj, We greatly appreciate your positive feedback; it's good to know we are continuing to meet the service expectations of our customers. We look forward to assisting you in the future. Kind regards, Peter

Great customer service

Nib customer service is good and ready to help you. I was charged extra fees for a dental treatment because I was misinformed by one of the representative so the next time I called the manager happily credited back the extra amount and adjusted that into my premium. As a result it restores my faith into the company and I’m thinking of going for another product with them soon.
Both me and my wife have nib cover and we are happy with them. I think it’s customers duty to be informed before going for medical treatments to be better informed.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Switched to a not for profit health care fund

I just switched to Westfund (not for profit) today after being with NIB for 5 years. I have no complaints with the service that I received from NIB, which worked well for me. However, I am disgusted with the opinions coming from NIB senior management at the moment, especially the ignorant comments on Americanising our more fair and equitable public health system. 1 year ago, NIB announced a net profit of $133.5 million for the 2018 financial year – an 11.1 per cent increase from the previous year. Their premiums have risen substantially on an annual basis for the past 5 years. They are not passing along their profits as savings to their customers. They definitely are not struggling with the current community rating system....

Terrible&Rubbish Claims Process!!!

I lodged a claim on 21/7 and received an email stating that " will be processed within 2 weeks". Until today, no response, no calls and no email from NIB! Ask the online advisor last Thursday, he/she said that will be processed, the latest by next Monday, and this morning (Wednesday) I asked again, another advisor said it takes another 2 weeks again!!!! Ridiculous! This had happened many many times, every time I submit the claims, either no response or decline without giving me an appropriate reason! NIB only knows how to take money from me BUT NEVER keep their promises!!!! Definitely will not coming back, will not recommend to any other person and will convince all people around me who are with NIB, change their insurance company! The worst experience that I have with this insurance company!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Kat, We’re sorry to hear about your recent claiming experience with nib. So that we can look into this for you, I have sent you a private message. Kind regards, Peter

Greedy Scammers!

I bought overseas visitor health insurance for my in-laws from nib. The policy ran from the start of May to the start of July, when my in-laws would return overseas. The payment method for the premium was monthly direct debit, which was taken at the start of June and July. After my in-laws left, I was surprised to find nib took another direct debit for premium at the start of August. When I rang nib about it, I got put to their overseas call centre where they told me the account holder needs to explicitly cancel the policy otherwise the direct debits would continue. What kind of greedy money-grabbing scammer at nib thought it clever to keep charging customers after the policy ended and they returned overseas, in the hope they forgot to check their bank statement? How much interest do you collect from all these over-payments nib? I was also told that since I was not the account holder I was not entitled to make inquiries and no further information would be given, such as the amount to be refunded. Well done nib. I shall be telling everyone I know to avoid your scamming schemes from now on. Have a nice day.

Book AgainNo
Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your experience with nib. I can certainly understand your frustrations, however, we are bound by Australian Privacy Law in relation to the handling of personal information about individuals and our members. I have sent you a private message should you need us to look into this further. Thanks, PeterI respect privacy laws in regards to the handling of personal information. However, secretly continuing to charge insurance premiums after the policy has expired and not notifying the customer of such practice is a deliberate and dishonest practice akin to stealing. As I said, I shall be warning others about this shameful practice from nib. I'm sure it was some smart cookie in nib that thought this would be a clever thing to do. Maybe some pensioners will forget to check their bank statements and we can collect some free interest? To that guy, I hope you got a good promotion because your company's reputation just took a hit. Have a nice day.

Absolutely useless

We have been NIB customers for not even a week and the service has already been horrific! I would not recommend NIB to anyone. Get with the picture, it's 2019 my partner does not have to give me authority to speak with you about our policy.

Book AgainNo
Hi Teresa, we endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. nib is bound by Australian Privacy Law in relation to the handling of personal information about individuals and our members. nib and all of its employees have an obligation to ensure that we do not provide any information relating to our policyholders and members to unauthorised persons. Breaches to the Privacy Act can result in substantial fines to businesses and individuals. To apply authority for a partner or third party, the policy holder can do so verbally over the phone, by sending an email or via live chat. While we do not wish to inconvenience our customers, we do take privacy very seriously to ensure our customers information remains protected. Kind regards, Helen.

Horrific claims process

Had a hospital admission claim declined because I didn’t think I actually broke my foot. They declined it without asking any further information. Could not get through to anyone to answer and say why. Eventually told someone would call me back in 24hrs. 72hrs I received an email with no clarity. Had to lodge a complaint with the Health Insurance Ombudsman. The approved the claim within 2hrs of the complaint lodgement.

Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hello Edward, We endeavor to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. We have sent you a private message in regards to this. Kinds regards, Kylie

Greed

NIB Boss wants to scrap Medicare only because he wants more people to join NIB. I say scrap all Greedy Private Health Insurers and make Medicare cover everything. Goodbye NIB.

Book AgainNo
Thank you for your feedback, we will pass this on to the appropriate department. If there is anything we can assist with your health insurance please don't hesitate to contact us on 13 14 63. Kind regards, Jasmine.

Dodgy policies

Never ever again I will get any insurance with this company.
They understimate their clients!

I have bought an international student health cover (oshc) and for some reason my visa was refused then at the moment of applying for a refund they have made all super difficult also taking me as an ignorant, they tried to convince me that I still need the insurance but I know is not true, they have done all possible to not to refund, telling me fake legal requirements and things like that.
I am serious person and my case or customer number is 43021295

Claim ApprovedYes
Thank you for your feedback, we have sent you a private message in regards to your enquiry.

$500 Excess.

My doctor recently advised me to have a procedure carried out.
As this was a day procedure I was disappointed to find I have to pay a $500 excess.
As this was unexpected I had no time to save the $500.
Therefore I find myself on the public waiting list and feeling it pointless having private health insurance.
I emailed nib to air my problem but received no reply. That adds to the disappointment.

Book AgainNo
Hi Shaun I'm sorry to hear about your experience with nib and would appreciate the time to discuss further. I have sent you a private message to gain some further information so a member of our team can contact you. Thanks Rose

First Experience Worst Experience

I purchased the policy for my father on june 21st with mail id priyankraghuvanshi98@gmail.com , it has been almost a month but the policy hasn't even started , they just mail and run away for 7 days then ask a question then run away for 7 days , i am just chasing them , not even sure that my policy has even been started . I am sure that i have made a wrong decision already to purchase the policy from NIB , trusting there words from there webstie .

Not a happy Customer :( .

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Book AgainNo
Hi Priyank I'm sorry to hear about your experience with nib. I have private messaged you to find out more information. I also recommend that you remove your email address from the review above for privacy reasons as this is a public forum. Thanks Rose

Buyer Beware.

I've been with NIB for 6+ Years as a single independent, and the 21 Years before that 'covered' under one of their family plans. At no point during my sign-up was it explained (or product disclosure material received then, or now that specifies) that core extras including general, and major dental excludes items such as orthodontic work as a separate category under other plans. I am moroso frustrated that in preparing for my first proper claim last year for the removal of wisdom teeth (that ended up paying $600 on $2400) I specifically mentioned to the kiosk consultant that I was saving for 'wisdom teeth this year, braces the next' - would have been nice to have been told then that my policy would not even pay for that small amount, but hey I didn't ask so why should they tell!... fast forward to now, a year later - having found this out, I am given the stock-standard 'we can't waive the waiting period because of the insurance act' but offered me 'loyalty for 6 Years' after the 12 months which would increase my monthly payment from $175 > $230 in the meantime, and still only cover $1400 on $8000... a return that does not even come close to the yearly cost. These sort of things are never about returns, but affordability, and clarity are basic requirements. 'Other insurers will be the same' is never an appropriate excuse for any issue, although it has convinced me to stick with Medicare until I am 31. Buyer beware, question all details - as they won't provide it.

Book AgainNo
Whoops. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/08/australias-biggest-private-health-insurers-illegally-rejected-thousands-of-claimsHi Joshua I'm sorry to hear about your experience with nib. We would appreciate the time to take a look into this for you. Please contact us on 13 16 42 if you would like to discuss. Thanks Rose

Let's be fair

I've been a member for quite a few years and have never had an issue with NiB.
I recently needed clarification on the Govt initiated changes and the Call Centre couldn't be more helpful (as frustrating as my enquiry must have been). They really went over and above.

My 4 stars rating is the result of reading the "exclusions" with their Travel Insurance. It appears that nearly everything is excluded! If I'm drinking on holidays, any medical issue is excluded. If I'm walking around the block, in sports shoes, I better have an "optional" package. This troubles me as I want to be able to enjoy myself and know I'm covered. I also want to be loyal to NIB, as every other experience I've had, has been so positive.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Hi JaggyJJ Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback, we're so happy to hear you've had a great experience with us at nib and we appreciate your feedback regarding our travel services. If you would like to talk to a member of our travel team about this, please don't hesitate to contact us on 1300 410 272 or email travel@nib.com.au. Thanks Rose

Loyalty means nothing

I have been a member for nearly 30 years and have slowly seen the level of service reduce. Recently i asked what NIB would do for long term members. The replied use the rewards programme. I asked if they would give me a month free as the were giving new members one month free. They said no make use of the rewards programme. I replied that i have to spend to get a so called benefit.
So loyalty means nothing to them now. Extremely disappointed in their customer service now. Will be looking for a better fund.

Book AgainNo
Hi Mark We're sorry to hear about your experience with us. Unfortunately all health funds are bound by legislation that restricts the type and amount of incentive or discount we can offer members. As a result, nib is limited to the type and value of benefit we can provide existing members which is why we offer a great program for our current members called nib Rewards, which provides access to a range of discounts and benefits on retail, travel, accommodation, dining and leisure. We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. If you would like to discuss further please don't hesitate to contact us on 13 16 42. Thanks RoseRose, your response is almost word for word the response I got the last time i talked to NIB. You can give new members a cash incentive or free month/s membership. You will only offer existing members a rewards scheme were they have to spend money to save money. Not much of an incentive as nearly every company now have similiar programmes. . It seems now that NIB has gone the way of most companies nowadays. Policticaly correct statements that have no other meaning than to frustrate people.Hi Mark I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and I do apologise for any inconvenience we have caused. If you would like to discuss further please contact us on 13 16 42. Rose