NIB Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (11)
    • 2-4 weeks (10)
    • 1-2 months (4)
    • 3+ months (15)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (26) · No (34)
Golden years

Golden yearsMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

First class health insurer

We have had claims in past 12 months of more than $20000 and experienced great service, benefits paid at good level, premium reasonable and very good App and phone service.

Philip C

Philip CCanberra

Don’t Hold Your Breath When Claiming

Made a legitimate claim on February 15 and nib is still prevaricating on March 2. I have never experienced a system which appears so blatantly to delay paying claims. They aren’t the slightest bit apologetic. Avoid nib - there are better alternatives.

Unbelievable Out-of-Pocket Expenses

We've been with NIB for nearly 15 years. My husband had a simple umbilical hernia surgery last month and NIB only paid $105 for the surgeon fee of $1075 and only paid $52 of the anaesthetist fee of $1100. Yet every year we pay NIB over $4000 in insurance premiums. Like the other reviews on this forum the surgeon told us NIB doesn't pay them near as much as the other insurance companies and that is why he doesn't participate in the NIB MediGap. We are very disappointed and will be changing Insurance companies this month.

Delay refund for profit

Needed to get a refund on my insurance as I was switching to another provider. Was told that it requires around a month to process the request. Talked to my new provider and they say this is not really ok. It has been more than a month now and my request still hasn't been processed. They take you

Annoyed !

I had a baby birth at private hospital.
I received an invoice of $1200 seperate which made a claim and was rejected. I called them and they told me to provide hopital documents. I did and again rejected claim. I called them back and they said my insurance doesn't cover the claim. I had to tell them the whole history of my insurance upgrades. Then they agreed to pay but didn't received. I called them again and they still asked hopital documents. Then i called the hopital to send documents to my insurance but they had already send it long ago.
Everytime i called the insurance, they would put me in hold for around 30mins.
I'm so annoyed.

Andrew F.

Andrew F.Sydney, NSW

Pretend Health Insurance

I just had knee surgery and thought I was only going to be out of pocket $500 excess for hospital cover and then whatever the anesthetist charges (in this case, $1000). Unfortunately, I was very wrong. Although my level of cover does include ACL reconstructions, I just copped a bill for $4000 of which I only get back $2000. So in total, I am out of pocket $3500. I was told by my surgeon's receptionist that NIB is the only health fund that doesn't cover the full fees, no matter what level of cover you're on. Needless to say, I'm switching funds.

nibnib

Unpaid claim for the last 10months!!

Unpaid claim for the past 10months and still following up.everytime i ring am told it will get sorted as soon as possible.i dont feel my policy was a good value.i have been getting endless emails from the hospital regarding the unpaid invoices and its driving me nuts.horrible service and wouldnt recommend it to anyone!

Julian R

NIB is a joke, 15 years of paying premiums and they don't cover anything

Diane

DianeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Oxygen theifs

Provided proof that a condition was NOT pre-existing and they denied. The worst service ever. They make up rules and have a couldn't care less attitude. Waited over 3 months to get reimbursement for my sons knee surgery and of the $1200 fee I got $189. I also made a complaint with the ombudsman and NIB gave me 2 free weeks- because it was cheaper than actually paying the claim on time. NIB are cold, uncaring and only interested in taking your money. Do not insure with NIB.

WarrenSydney, NSW

They are a nightmare to deal with. Save yourself the heartache

If you complain about the amount of calls you get a week they will increase the number of calls out of spite. They tell you that you need to identify yourself to get them to stop calling you twice a day to “talk about your policy”. Dont do business with them

Warren

No thank you. In the middle of changing providers. I hope to never have to deal with you again. I had to put a fake phone number on my account to stop the persistent pointless phone calls. Shame on you.

Warren

Even with the fake phone number on my account I AM STILL GETTING CALLS. Have escalated to the ombudsman now.

Absolutely Disgraceful

Hi Megs,
Thanks for reaching out. If you'd like us to look into this for you, could you kindly send us a private message with your full name, customer number, address & date of birth for privacy.
Vicki

Megs

I’ve already done this and received no help.

juliette.nw

juliette.nwSydney, NSW

You’d be better off lighting your money on fire once a month.

Terrible value. Terrible service. You’d be better off lighting your money on fire once a month. On multiple occasions I called to ask how much I would get back on a claim, then went and paid for the health service and when I submitted the claim they would pay me a tiny fraction of what they’d quoted me ($250 of $1500 in one instance). When I called to ask why this was they would basically say it’s all my fault for trusting their word instead of combing through the policy for every loophole like they had. Absolutely furious. Do not use this “service” (if you could even call it that).

Claim MadeYes

SimonSydney Surrounds, NSW

Couldn't organise a rock fight in a quarry.

Put policy price up but reduced cover. Kept charging me after the policy was cancelled. Taking weeks for them to sort out. Avoid then like the plague, they have no idea.

nibnib

Hi Simon  We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us. All the best. Regards Maria

Simon

Empty words. Issues still not resolved or any offer of assistance made.

D.Simmons

D.SimmonsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic customer service

nibnib

Hello D, Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive feedback, it's good to know we are continuing to meet the service expectations of our customers. We hope you are doing well. Warm regards Vicki

Excellent customer service

I have just switched over to another fund from Nib. I was with you for 21 years and I must say you have the best customer service ever.. Well done

Claim MadeYes
nibnib

Thank you for your review, We are sorry to hear that you have left us. We would welcome any feedback. If you need anything further please reach out on 13 14 63. All the best. Regards Maria

Specialists Not Participating with NIB Access Gap Scheme....Out of Pocket over $1000. BEWARE

After being loyal customers for 26 years we have changed. Most specialists in Brisbane will not participate in NIB'S Access Gap Scheme which left us out of pocket over $1000. Only a small gap paid with other funds. BEWARE.

Claim MadeNo

Hi there
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent experience.
If you would like more information regarding Medigap please don't hesitate to contact us privately and we will endeavour to respond to any concerns you may have. Thanks

ThumbsDownKurmond

ThumbsDownKurmondSydney Surrounds, NSW

pretty happy with extras

I am with NIB for 5+ years (extras only). pretty happy with them.
Get free dental check-ups and gap-free treatment.
I like their dental clinics in Sydney but here in Canberra they only have 1 center and almost impossible to get a suitable appointment there. it is good that private dental clinics offer gap-free checkups.
Claimed a few times for ambulance and glasses, everything was done quick and easy.

their phone app is a disaster! never can logging from my phone for months. it just keeps asking me to log in again and again.

Dot

DotNew South Wales

Essential items not covered

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

RobS

RobSasked

I have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Can I claim for my CPAP machine when I buy it ?
Cheers Margot

nibnib

Hello Margot, Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Please contact us using link below & we will be happy to discuss your eligibility to claim.

Kind Regards Richard.

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance