NIB Health Insurance

NIB Health Insurance

Misleading information.

I have top corporate gold cover hospital and extras with NIB ( $525 p/m for two 40+ adults). Recently I had to have shoulder surgery and contacted NIB to check my coverage, they reviewed it all and said I was fully covered including the item numbers from the anaesthetist. All I would pay was the excess, which was $500. My anaesthetist bill was $1140, of which Medicare paid $225. I forwarded on the bill to NIB and got back a tiny $75. Leaving me about $840 out of pocket, not including the excess.

When I called them they said they would have explained the fees, which they didn’t and they pay up to 75% of the scheduled fee. The take away is, if you’re only going to get a set refund shop around for a cheaper provider. That’s what I’ll be doing!

Coverage TypeCouple
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMay 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. We'd appreciate the time to discuss your policy further. If you would like to chat, please contact us on 13 16 42. Thanks

Trying to attract new customers but

I have been with NIB (hospital cover)for over 6 years and wanted to add an extras cover....Comparing the new policies in their website, I fond that I could take a Hospital + extras cover for almost the same monthly premium I have been paying so far. Also they promise 200 $ visa gift card and waiving off 2
& 6 month wait periods for new customers.

today I asked the NIB person who took my call, if I could cancel my existing hospital; only policy and re-join with a Hospital & extras package to get the promotional offer. only to be told that I couldn't since I am an existing customer...they were not happy to negotiate.....and I joined another health fund one hour later..!

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim MadeNo

Does not stop youre stop youre payment .. even if youre cancelled

Difficult to claim, contact, no office.. very rare unless you go to country side new castle. over price. difficult to stop payment. lots of phone calls. They just take youre money

Book AgainNo

Don’t care about their “loyal” customers wasted a lot of money with them for 20years!!!

Regrettably wasted a lot of money with NIB for 20years! During a financial shortage they suggested a 1month hold they could back date two weeks, it would mean that I would only be without insurance for 2weeks.i rarely claimed so I felt confident it would be ok. As luck had it I required an ambulance at $500. I called NIB & explained the situation in hope they would see i’d been with them for so many years & had never claimed on ambulance. But no they were awful & very rude. I called the ambulance company to arrange a payment plan, they asked why I wasn’t covered when I explained they told me to call back nib and try again as they had met others in the same situation and their insurances still paid. I tried 2more times with no luck. I’ve now called iselect and have moved companies, pay less and receive 100% back on most claims! Should have moved years ago!

Not happy

I am really disappointed with NIB since changes in the past year, I am finding it difficult contacting them via the phone (having to leave a message with my details, no call back) or calling them back (message saying the mailbox is full), poor customer service. I have been a customer since 2005 and am seriously considering changing funds.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Book AgainNo
Hi Danni We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to email us with your enquiry at nib@nib.com.au a member of our team will be able to assist. Regards Rose

Waste of Money

We changed to NIB in 2017 and were assured that we had the same cover as our previous provider. I am booked in for surgery on Monday only to find out that this is not the case. They cover nothing!!! My surgery will $6600! I am supposed to be comforted by the fact that they understand and they will cover me if I upgrade to the cover they told me I had in the first place and wait 12 MONTHS!!!! I feel ripped off!

Claim MadeYes

Had to cancel much needed surgery the day before due to NIB lies

I needed surgery to treat advanced endometriosis. It required 2 surgeons as it has spread throughout my abdomen. I called NIB to check I was covered for the surgery in a private hospital - they said I was. So I scheduled the surgery. I called again 2 weeks later to double check. They ran the item numbers, said I was covered for 3 out of the 4, and that I was 100% covered for all hospital and operating theater costs. When I asked about the consequences of not being covered for one of the item numbers (the 2nd surgeon), they just said it meant I had to pay the entire surgeon's feel myself, but everything else was still covered. No problem. I even called the hospital, who told me NIB had told them I was covered.
Then I called them again the day before to check one more time - and they tell me that not only am I not covered for the 2nd surgeon's fee, but I am not covered for anything at all to do with him. I asked what this actually meant, but the guy just kept repeating 'You are not covered for his part of the surgery' in an angry tone, without actually giving details. So I hung up, called back and got a better consultant, who told me that I wasn't covered for ANY part of the 2nd surgeon's surgery - including the operating theater costs for the time he spends operating on me, any complications that may arise from his specific surgery, and numerous other things. This information was NOT given to me in any of the other phone calls I made. I called the hospital to find out how much extra it would cost me - it was thousands of dollars, with the potential to sky rocket into more. I was forced to cancel the surgery at the last minute - and I have already taken a month off work to recover, having organised my entire life around this surgery I was told numerous times I was covered for.
Now, I'm still in pain, I have no work, and I've lost thousands in lost wages.
NIB also refused to pay another procedure, that every time I call them about, they tell me I am covered and they don't know why it keeps getting refused.
AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Book AgainNo

Caught in the fine print

My sister is insured with NIB and was scheduled for surgery related to endometriosis only to find they would not cover her in a private hospital due to a bowel surgeon being required as well as a specialist gyno. She received advice that if she was insured with someone other than NIB her surgery would have been covered. She is (and now was) a Hospital Plus member for a number of years. I would suggest you carefully read and evaluate NIB's fine print before signing any policy as their cheaper price point appears to come with associated limitations in cover.

Plan CoverageHospital Only

Rip off

Paid $920 for a surgery plus the $500 excess. Received only $92 back on my claim despite having top tier cover. It would of been $408 cheaper to not have insurance.

Initially when I called NIB concerned I had not received any benefit they informed me I would get a call when my claim was processed. I didn’t receive any communication.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Waste of money

I am a international student. I couldn't claim any my medical receipts from this insurance even i already chose the package(it include GP) . just waste $106 for each month. I will notice this insurance at TAFE even on my every classes pages to let them know about this joking company.

No service

Have been trying to cancel my policy for 2 days. First phone call the person I spoke to was unable to help, someone will call me back. They didn't! Tried to use on line chat but could not be connected to a "human" (their words). Sent an email, will have a response in 2 days ????? nothing. sent message via facebook, was told to ring. Did this and was put on hold for 15 mins, sorrybut I also work and can not stay on hold. Received message telling someone would call me back at a time I preffered. I said 6pm. Sure we will endeavour to call as close to this time as possible. Nothing. Seriously how hard is it?
Please don't send an automated response telling me your sorry to hear of my experience and please call to discuss because YOU DON'T ANSWER!!!!!!!

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Coverage TypeCouple
Book AgainNo
Hi Kaz Can you please private message me with your name, date of birth and policy number and I'll see that a member of our team calls or emails you as soon as possible. Thanks Rose

Waste of money - SCAM

Our family have been with NIB for a number of years and made no claims. Today we were rejected over necessary surgery for our daughter. Their feedback was a joke and and they found a complete loophole in their fine print which was total rubbish. We are cancelling our policy with them effectively immediately, but they will be laughing as they have all our previous hard earned money for nothing.

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Patrick, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss your concerns. Thanks Rose

Don't waste your money

We've been members for about a decade and for the first time enquired about a pretty basic surgery just to be told they won't cover it. So bye bye $2500. The receptionist at the specialist told me to change providers asap, NIB are the worst at just about everything. Going to take her advice!

Book AgainNo
Hi Scotgal, We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss your policy options further. Thanks RoseI'd like to add a comment here as the above response gives the impression that NIB gives a damn or tried to help and they did neither. I called today and found out another surgery I need, that I have asked about being covered for on 3 separate occasions in the last 6 months, I am not covered for. I can only assume they were lying to me so I didn't cancel my policy, which I am doing, today and going to make a hell of a fuss while leaving.

Poor claims experience

There is no one dedicated claims assessor looking after my claim. I have had various Customer Care Consultants from the Contact Centre responding to my emails instead and each one has a different answer. I really wonder who is handling my claim. No one seems to know how to assess claims as well. I regret ever switching over to them. I strongly recommend consumers not to sign up to their policies. The lack of understanding of their own policies makes you wonder if anyone does. Sure, their premiums are cheap but, it's a competitive market out there.

Claim MadeYes
Hi JET, We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss and assist you further. Thanks Rose

Worst cover - do your homework

I have been a member with NIB since I was a child on my parents cover and switched to single when I was 18 and then family - we dropped to the basic cover after not being able to have more children.
The Basic hospital cover shouldn't be allowed to exist. My son needs Tonsils and turbinates surgery urgently but because only Tonsils are covered NIB pay NOTHING, NOT EVEN PARTIAL - NOTHING!
I need the turbinates and tongue reducing surgery to open my airways but NIB consider this to be Plastic Surgery and cover NOTHING. I just got a quote from HFC where for $10 extra a week I would be covered for everything and have more extras cover. Do your homework before joining and for those that "haven't got around to checking and changing" DO IT NOW! don't get stuck like us.

NIB SCAM

This company is scam, if you need go to the hospital or GP they dont gonna refound your money. Dont contract with NIB and save money and live time. When I contract with NIB, at the website you can see 100% cover hospital and GP, but is fake, I went to the GP and to the hospital and lost more than $400. After long time and diferentes claims I can say I lost my money. I dont know how the goverment permit this company to provide insurance to the internatianl students and lost a lot of money.
This company is useless and SCAM.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

The best way to claim health insurance

I purchased a card so I can make a claim on the card when I go to see my Dentist every 6 months since it saves me heaps of money.

Book AgainYes

Poor service

I am a international student from India and I was admitted to the hospital for one day they don't even re-emburse a single penny to me moreover sending lame excuse even I completed all documents that are recommend by their branch members in Parramatta in Westfield.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Sourav We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss further. Thanks Rose

nib is a scam

nib is a scam, they found whatever reason to decline your claim. they asked to provide a confirmation with individual dates of a recursive service, which is not possible to get. That is only for 100 bucks, imagine for a hospital claim, the stress and repeat claims you have to submit to get one thing paid.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019

Straight forward & up-front

N.I.B. have given me quality, reliable, fast claims processing and service for 4 years. I have recently combined my insurance completely with NIB and lowered my costs by $50.

I'm very happy with the value for money and the fact I put a claim forward and have it almost immediately approved (usually within 24 hours). Especially with my extras cover - mostly done on-site on the day of the treatment.

Particularly easy to setup with the call-centre. The team are very up-front with the information needed and what premiums and services will be made available to you.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week