NIB Health Insurance

NIB Health Insurance

Waste of money - SCAM

Our family have been with NIB for a number of years and made no claims. Today we were rejected over necessary surgery for our daughter. Their feedback was a joke and and they found a complete loophole in their fine print which was total rubbish. We are cancelling our policy with them effectively immediately, but they will be laughing as they have all our previous hard earned money for nothing.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Patrick, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss your concerns. Thanks Rose

Don't waste your money

We've been members for about a decade and for the first time enquired about a pretty basic surgery just to be told they won't cover it. So bye bye $2500. The receptionist at the specialist told me to change providers asap, NIB are the worst at just about everything. Going to take her advice!

Book AgainNo
Hi Scotgal, We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss your policy options further. Thanks Rose

Poor claims experience

There is no one dedicated claims assessor looking after my claim. I have had various Customer Care Consultants from the Contact Centre responding to my emails instead and each one has a different answer. I really wonder who is handling my claim. No one seems to know how to assess claims as well. I regret ever switching over to them. I strongly recommend consumers not to sign up to their policies. The lack of understanding of their own policies makes you wonder if anyone does. Sure, their premiums are cheap but, it's a competitive market out there.

Claim MadeYes
Hi JET, We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss and assist you further. Thanks Rose

Worst cover - do your homework

I have been a member with NIB since I was a child on my parents cover and switched to single when I was 18 and then family - we dropped to the basic cover after not being able to have more children.
The Basic hospital cover shouldn't be allowed to exist. My son needs Tonsils and turbinates surgery urgently but because only Tonsils are covered NIB pay NOTHING, NOT EVEN PARTIAL - NOTHING!
I need the turbinates and tongue reducing surgery to open my airways but NIB consider this to be Plastic Surgery and cover NOTHING. I just got a quote from HFC where for $10 extra a week I would be covered for everything and have more extras cover. Do your homework before joining and for those that "haven't got around to checking and changing" DO IT NOW! don't get stuck like us.

Coverage TypeFamily

NIB SCAM

This company is scam, if you need go to the hospital or GP they dont gonna refound your money. Dont contract with NIB and save money and live time. When I contract with NIB, at the website you can see 100% cover hospital and GP, but is fake, I went to the GP and to the hospital and lost more than $400. After long time and diferentes claims I can say I lost my money. I dont know how the goverment permit this company to provide insurance to the internatianl students and lost a lot of money.
This company is useless and SCAM.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

The best way to claim health insurance

I purchased a card so I can make a claim on the card when I go to see my Dentist every 6 months since it saves me heaps of money.

Book AgainYes

Poor service

I am a international student from India and I was admitted to the hospital for one day they don't even re-emburse a single penny to me moreover sending lame excuse even I completed all documents that are recommend by their branch members in Parramatta in Westfield.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Sourav We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. If you would like to contact us on 13 16 42 we would appreciate the time to discuss further. Thanks Rose

nib is a scam

nib is a scam, they found whatever reason to decline your claim. they asked to provide a confirmation with individual dates of a recursive service, which is not possible to get. That is only for 100 bucks, imagine for a hospital claim, the stress and repeat claims you have to submit to get one thing paid.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019

Straight forward & up-front

N.I.B. have given me quality, reliable, fast claims processing and service for 4 years. I have recently combined my insurance completely with NIB and lowered my costs by $50.

I'm very happy with the value for money and the fact I put a claim forward and have it almost immediately approved (usually within 24 hours). Especially with my extras cover - mostly done on-site on the day of the treatment.

Particularly easy to setup with the call-centre. The team are very up-front with the information needed and what premiums and services will be made available to you.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes

Remove 8 modalities from Extras and prices still go up

It is beyond me to understand how NIB and health companies in general can continue to increase premiums whilst taking away benefits at an ever increasing rate. After falling over backwards to implement the one sided LNP Natural Health Care review which basically was we don't believe in anything not offered by members of the AMA and was probably sponsored by them, NIB and the other Health Companies have the gaul to still increase premiums albeit by about 4 pct ( which is of course way over inflation as pre usual but less than their usual 5-10pct). Is it any wonder that people are moving away in droves.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family

Junk policies

Firstly, I've had good experiences with their call centre staff. Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. NIB's policies are another story. I had back surgery in 2017 but it was a specific fine print exclusion from their hospital coverage. Didn't pay a cent, so was left out of pocket for the lot. The surgeons office who obviously deals with providers regularly warned me that NIB was by far the worst and essentially offered junk policies and tended to try and get out of paying. Fast forward to daughter needing braces, nope, that's now an exclusion from major dental too. None of this is listed in their coverage summary, you need to dig into the fine print of the full PDS to find it out. Needless to say will be changing providers.

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Claim MadeYes

I wish I've never contacted them.

The sales staff at my initial contact are all very friendly and helpful, taking all my personal details including credit card details and organised my payment for the first months, all good in 15 minutes. I thought I had set up the direct debit payment on a monthly basis, however, about a month later, I received an email from [name removed] advising that my payment is 33 days overdue. I was hoping to have a long term policy with them and happily provided all the credit card details, but it seemed that I need to call them every month to make the payment? The email is also very rude, advising that I can't make any claim for the past month (not that I have anything to claim) as I haven't made the payment. It further advised me that if I fail to pay "immediately", the policy will be cancelled. Serious? Just cancel it and I'm now looking for another health fund company. Worst customer experience ever!

Book AgainNo

the worst insurance company ever

I had make a claim for the hospital treatment 4 months ago. still fighting with this people for the money. whenever you call them every person is telling is telling different story. this morning I get them a all and find out that payment was made yesterday, after 10 minutes ago called them back for the claim number and they told me that the claim is still not approved and when will be payment can take alup to 6 weeks. what a joke company you are

Given a run around

I’ve been with NIB for nearly 40 years. I’m paying nearly $353 a month and I was excited to find out that it covers $150 worth of Pilates a year. When claiming though, there was no refund and no advice to me. After I made the fourth phone call, I finally find out why it hadn’t been processed. They advised that a doctor’s ‘medical evaluation’ Is required, AND the provider can’t just be a physio, they have to be registered with them as ‘Pilates instructors’. They really know how to make you run around for a measly $150! The end result is that you can’t claim. Would have appreciated them telling me on the first phone call. So disappointing and so much time wasted.

Worst Company Ever

Nib for 3 years Needed knee replacement . Nib could only give me the names of 2 Surgeons the first surgeon told me about surgeons agreement not to deal with NIB I was told to go to the surgeon in Berwick he didn't have a gap
that information was wrong I went to the pre op admission and was told i would need rehab Once again i was given wrong information I rang Nib many times to try and get a reasonable doctor and hospital I ended up cancelling the operation

Insurance claim madeNo

maternity cover for pensioners ???

When we joined NIB we were paying for maternity expenses for about 10 years .My wife at that time was 67 and I was 72.

Insurance claim madeNo

Coercive behaviour

I was with NIB for around a decade and decided to cancel private health insurance. I called to do so and was transferred to someone who wouldn't process my request without my answering a series of clearly coercive questions - "Are you happy that if you need an ambulance you will have to pay $x for it?". "Are you willing to pay up to $x if you become sick and need urgent care?" etc etc. I needed to answer each question before she would move on to the next one. I informed the lady on the line that I was very busy, and just wanted to cancel the policy, and could she please do so, only to be informed that I "needed to hear what will happen if I cancel".

I'm a medical doctor, and not only will I not use NIB in the future, but I will also provide my patients who often request advice about private health insurance with details about this experience, and the clearly unethical and coercive tactics used to pressure people to keep paying.

Insurance claim madeYes

Hearing aid policy changed within months of joining.

I’ve been with this company for over 6 years I moved from my previous health company to nib for the hearing aid cover, hardly ever make a claim, in my second year I claimed hearing aids when the policy was 1500 per year, fast forward 4.5 years and I find out it’s changed after my claim was rejected, now it’s 1200 per person every 5 years!! Massive change and now I cannot claim my much needed hearing aids and I’m out of pocket 1895.00 needless to say I’ll be looking for a new fund ASAP

Insurance claim madeYes

Worst, delayed and worst.

Extremely poor service. Claimed three weeks ago, resent bills two weeks ago. Lady said money transferred to your nominated account last Thursday but today is Tuesday. Sucks dealer.

Terrible Customer Service

I have been in this health refund more than 6 years as overseas visitor. I am really really disappointed as it takes more than 5 business day to get the refund. I have called because I have been waiting for more than two weeks to get refund and they said I have to call the hospital to speed up the process. Why me??? I pay for a service, Nib has to speed the process and they always say they are experience a high volume of claims. My suggestion is Nib should get more people to comply with the 5 business day that they promise and please do not lie people. Horrible experience.