Origin Solar

Pathetic servicd

Same issue so copying and pasting

1) Origin energy initially told me by email that my roof was not suitable for solar panels based on some rather poor quality google satellite photos, which they emailed me. I pointed out that I do have flat roofs as well, and they relented and said they would send someone over.

2) On the day of the appointment, non one showed. No communication from Origin at all. After I emailed them, the salesman phoned and said he had 'nothing in his diary' and had no idea about the appointment, even though origin had sent me a confirmation email.

For such a large company, they are surprisingly chaotic.

Warranty Claim MadeNo
Hi Aravinthan, we're very disappointed to hear about this ongoing issue. So that we can have a case manager to address this straight away for you, can you please email us with your account details, product review and best contact details to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Thanks - Jen.

I should have listened to the reviews on this site!

For such a large company, they are surprisingly chaotic.

Warranty Claim MadeNo
Hi, we're disappointed to hear this is the experience you've had so far, and we'd really like to try and turn things around. So we can arrange for a Case Manager to get in touch, please email us via supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your account and contact info, along with a copy of this review. Thanks - Kristy.

Pushy salesperson and no follow up

Got a quote from 3 solar providers including origin. Very pushy salesman, felt pushed into allowing them to upload my quote to Solar Victoria. However the quote number they provided was not correct and as such I could not proceed with application to Solar Victoria. I emailed the salesperson immediately however failed to get back me. As such I missed out on applying for Vic government solar loan scheme (July applications). Origin lost a sale in this instance. Next day I got a local solar provider to come out. They spent a good hour explaining everything to me, were not pushy in anyway and really knew there stuff. I signed up with this company instead. Despite having to wait until August applications open, I'm excited about getting solar. Probably a blessing in disguise that origin provided the wrong quote number. Avoid them at all cost and consider local providers that offer a much better service.

Warranty Claim MadeNo
Hi Christopher, we're incredibly sorry to hear about your experience with our Solar team. That's definitely not the kind of service we pride ourselves on providing to our customers, so again, we apologise for this. If you need any further help from us, please feel free to email us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Thanks - Vanessa.

Have no idea about solar

I contacted five separate companies including Origin to give me a quote for Solar on my roof. The sales consultant was extremely rude and argumentative insisting that it was against government legislation to install more that 5kw of solar on a residential roof with single phase power. I wanted a new 6kw system in addition to my existing 3kw system with the overall power export limited to 5kw combined. She insisted it couldn't be done despite other companies saying it could. She insisted that the other companies didn't known what they were talking about and Origin were the industry leaders installing more systems than anyone else. What a load of rubbish, this consultant was completely incompetent and failed to follow up by sending me a quote that she said would be done with state of the art software, not requiring a site visit. I eventually got an Origin email reminder a few weeks latter asking if i wanted to go ahead with the Quote that i never receive. I end up going with local company and i now enjoy up to 9kw of daily production with 5kw exported and will never call Origin for a solar related quote again........ever.

If origin is reading this then please provide the person some training who completed Quote Q-00112580. This number was obtained from the reminder because i never actually received a quote.

System Size6 KW
Hi Duke, we're very sorry to hear about the experience you had with our Solar team. This definitely isn't the kind of service we aim to provide our customers and we appreciate your feedback so that we can work on improving this. If you need anything else, please feel free to email us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au and we can help out. Thanks - Vanessa.

Origin solar stay clear

Sign up 24 months payment plan with origin solar, got it up and running. One time late re-payment, they put us as default account force us to pay the whole amount, which they never state in the contract. Their solar package price are more expensive than other but we though with 24 months payment plan will help us to afford it but we found out the hard way. All we can say is stay clear from them.

Installation
Panel Purchased Ja
System Size5.4 KW
Purchase Price $7,000.00
Hi Tung, we're very sorry to hear about what happened with your payment plan and we'd like to have one of our case managers look into this for you. So that we can arrange this, please send us a message on Facebook here; bit.ly/OriginMessage or email us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your account number, contact details and this review. Thanks - Vanessa.

Origins systems need replacing.

As an existing customer with two properties I signed up with origin solar to make use of the Victoria state government rebate scheme on my residence in Bacchus Marsh. Plenty of sunny days etc. The installation went ahead as planned on the 12th December. Powercore connected the system on the day and it was inspected a few days later and signed off with positive comments from the fellow who inspected it. He assured me all paperwork would be lodged well before Christmas as they only get paid when the paperwork is lodged. Both installer and inspection service.
Since that time I have not received all the paperwork that would allow me to make a claim nor has the solar system been recognised on my last bill.
When I enquire I am told they cannot speak to me as I am not the account holder despite being the account holder for many years. I feel sorry for some of the staff who do try to help as their system seems a nightmare to themselves and the customer.

Installation

Got burnt on a Origin Solar install

I’d just like to leave a few comments like the others on this page about the poor, shoddy quality of Origin Solar installs. They chose to pair up with a crappy Chinese Inverter company called Clenergy whose inverter systems soon break down shortly after their warranties have expired.

If this has happened to you, I suggest that you contact the ACCC regarding your consumer rights and guarantees.

I bought a solar system in September 2011 for $14.3k from Origin and I would’ve expected it to last more than 7 years otherwise it wouldn’t have made a difference to my electricity bills. The Clenergy inverter on my unit is showing a relay failure error and doesn’t work any longer - the first time I had the unit installed the first inverter failed within a week and had to be replaced with this one. I’d either like a full refund for the product under the ACCC’s consumer law re: fit for purpose or a no cost replacement/repair of the faulty unit. If anyone else is having this issue (and I assume a lot of us are going by the previous reviews) then I suggest you guys follow the same course of action.

@Origin Solar - please contact me within 5 days regarding this complaint as I hope we can solve this issue amicably before having to further pursue my rights under consumer law with the office of fair trading/ACCC. Yours Sincerly, Kimnary

Hi Kimnary, we are so sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with your inverter. We would like to escalate this to one of our solar case managers right away! We hope to have this matter investigated, and we'd love to try to potentially turn your experience around. Could you please send us an email at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your account details and contact information? Thanks - Olivia.Hi Everyone, just letting you know Origin got back and said the system had a good run for 7 years old and there was nothing that they could do. Would suggest looking elsewhere for solar if you’re looking for a long lasting system.

Replacing new with second hand - now another failure out of warranty

Furious. We have had our solar for 6 years. We paid for a new system. Our inverter Clenery died and had to be replaced. It was replaced with a reconditioned one not a new one. Now this one has died and of course Origin are "its out of warranty". Have contacted ACCC now as i don't believe its legal to mislead us into thinking we are getting a new system and then getting given reconditioned. When contacting origin they were rude and unhelpful. just a too bad attitude. If i paid for new and got reconditioned then i would like my money back, as they mislead me. I was under the impression i should be entitled to new for new. I purchased a new solar system at no time was i told i was getting a reconditioned one installed. Legally I have been mislead. As have many others it seems. Time to get ACCC involved as these practices are unacceptable. I ordered and expected new.... not secondhand being sold as new.

Hi Allison, we're disappointed to hear this is the experience you've had. When we raise a warranty case for a customer, we're required under Australian Consumer Law to let you know that goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type, rather than being repaired (refurbished parts may also be used in repairs themselves). We'd really like to look into what's gone on with your inverter and try to turn things around. So we can get right onto this, could you please shoot us an email to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your review, account details and best contact number? Thanks - Kristy.

New inverter $2300 lasted 6 months

In April 2018 the inverter died. In May they replaced it with a new Fronius Galvo at a cost of $2300 as the old one was 8.5 yrs old. I only have a 1kw system that I paid around $4000 for in 2010. They took weeks to come as the repairers had the wrong phone number. I kept repeating my phone number to both origin and the repairers. This time the inverter had stopped and on 3rd Dec i rang and waited. On 18th Dec still waiting for a time that it would be repaired I rang again and was told that the repairers had the wrong phone number so they provided them with the correct contact details. That day the repairers rang and said the phone number they had been ringing was provided to them by origin on the job card. The guy from Origin who was very unhelpful had previously told me the reason the repairers hadn't rung was because the office staff were off sick. Now I am told that it will be repaired on 3rd Jan. I had to go to the manufacturers website to get a 5+5 year warranty which was also a mission and no hard copy. Origin never provided me with an original warranty for the inverter but told me i was lucky to get 8yrs as they generally last 5 yrs. I am a pensioner and cannot afford any of this. I stated that I also will be going to the office of fair trading as I will never get my money back for this system. I was told that if the fault was with the AC isolator in the switchboard that would not be covered under warranty even though they put it in there. Dont use Origin as you will never get a straight answer and your time will be wasted by rude case managers.

Hi Maxi, we're sorry to hear this has been your experience with the solar system being repaired, it sounds like it's been a bit of a run around which we can understand would be frustrating. We hope to turn your experience around, as we care about our customers. We'd really like to arrange for a Solar Specialist to get in touch and address your concerns, please email your product review, account details and contact number to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Alternatively, if you'd prefer not to email, you can also message us via Facebook here bit.ly/OriginMessage. Thanks - Olivia.

Origin Solar Total waste of Time

I purchased my solar from Origin * years ago on a 24 month plan, had to wait nearly 12 months for installation, only after constant hounding, once it was installed I changed to AGL,
In October the sharp Inverter suffered an event and stopped working, I did not notice the problem for a couple of weeks, so contacted the very help full service team and signed up for a new inverter on 12 months interest free,that same day i received a call from an electrician to come and do a check on my system the next day, he phoned in sick the next morning, 10 days later still no inspection, no new inverter, no feed in tariff, I just wish i had read this blog before contacting Origin.....Peter

Hi Peter, I'm sorry to hear that there's been non-stop delays in relation to getting your solar back up and running. If you could email us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, I can arrange to have a case manager reach out to you. Thanks - Kirk.

Waste of money

The system we bought has not performed as promised, I was told initially we could add extra panels to our system (3.6kw system with a 5kw inverter), I have now been told from another company this would be more wasted money and I’d be better off removing this system and starting again. This system is 4 years and has definitely not preformed as we hoped.

We're disappointed to hear this has been your experience with the solar system, Trevor. We understand solar is quite an investment and appreciate that you'd want to get the most out of it. We'd really like to arrange for a Solar Specialist to get in touch and address your concerns, please email your product review, account details and contact number to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Alternatively, if you'd prefer not to email, you can also message us via Facebook here bit.ly/OriginMessage. Thanks - Kristy.

Don't buy from Origin solar

They will promise anything to get you on board - great rebates, excellent customer service support, etc. But when you actually have bought from them, none of these happened!

We got the solar with Origin (we also are existing customer of Origins) in March 2018, but in May when we received the electricity bill from Origin, it did not have any rebates on it. There is no way that we have used them all during the day as we work full time and are not at home.

So we tried to contact their customer service team, and apparently none of them is helpful. They are more than happy to put you on hold for long enough then you hang up yourself, or transfer you to a different department time after time, then they can get on with their day. It seems like Origin outsourced all its services, including the solar installer and customer services, and of course the electricity provider energex as well. So their database are not shared between themselves (it explains why they need to refer or transfer you to another department), and anything wrong happens, or anyone of them 'forgot' doing something, you will need to contact each one of them yourself, because Origin customer service team just won't help you make the call.

Due to this very difficult process, we are still in the process of identifying what the problem is and who's responsible for this. Very frustrated!

Hi Jason, we're extremely disappointed to hear this is the experience you've had so far. We'd really like to make things as easy as possible moving forwards and ensure all of your questions are answered. So we can get to the bottom of what's going on, please email your product review, enquiry and account details through to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Thanks - Kristy.

Pretty good service by Origin

This is an update of my 1 star "Do Not Purchase Solar Through Origin" review.
I submitted the review for a private response on the 23 March 2018 but decided to publish it today to show the response from Origin as I have never approached a complaint in this way before
Product Review was by far the fastest way to get a response from Origin. I had a response by the very next morning. Maybe it is automatic? Even though I have had to purchase another inverter at a cost of $850 (reduced price) through Origin and have to pay the bill of $328 as I was unaware my inverter was not working, this was the fastest way to get back on the grid. I already had an appointment in to check the inverter and Origin were able to arrange for the new inverter to be installed at that appointment. 5 working days from complaint to installation - not too bad. It seems Origin have also had their fingers burnt by purchasing Clenergy inverters. My argument however is mainly regarding the way the warranty works from original installation rather than the installation date of the repaired or replaced unit as the second refurbished unit lasted just shy of 5 years. I now give Origin 3 stars for their prompt service but the jury is out on just how long the new Zeversolar inverter with a new 5 year warranty will last.

Don't feel lucky

I installed Origin solar system July 2011 it has failed just outside the warranty, I should consider myself lucky that my unit made it to the end of the warranty time. I think my Mother was the lucky one she had 2 units fail before Origin replaced it with another brand, she had not had a problem with the new brand. We have 12 building all using Origin electricity but not for much longer.

Buy with Origin if you have lots of spare time to deal with on going issues!

-Purchased Zeversolar system with Origin-installed Jan 16
-Inverter unit failed Dec 16
-Replaced with a REFURBISHED unit Jan 17 - compensated me for 1 month loss of solar. I was not happy with Refurb unit & expressed my disappointment but was assured that all the warranties still applied!
- one month later Feb 17 inverter failing intermittently due voltage issue - Origin blamed Energex for fluctuating voltages in SE Qld.
-I got on to Engergex who installed monitor for 2 weeks at my meter box to record any voltage excursions. This data was found to be ok & I forwarded it to Origin
-Origin then asked to do my own recording of the numbers on the inverter unit daily for 7 days. This data was also forwarded to Origin.
-Nothing unusual was found with all all the data & in June 17 Origin closed my case saying I was to provide them with the 7 day data during the summer months!
-In the interim the failures continues up til today & I have yet another case opened (my 6th one) with Origin & they have yet to resolve the issue!
-I have been taking pictures of the failures for at least twice a month now! - Next step Ombudsman!

Hi, we’re concerned to hear this and would really appreciate the opportunity to investigate further. So we can have our team look into this and get back in touch with you to discuss, can you please email us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your account info and best contact details? Thanks –Jen.

Refurbished unit failed under 2 years.

Origin replaced my faulted inverter with a refurbished unit. The refurbished unit has failed in under 2 years. I am now being told that is not under warranty. I have two cases open with origin to resolve the issue but have so far had no success. I have talk to Consumer Business Service and they have told me to keep trying to get the issue resolved with Origin because it is reasonable to expect the inverter to last longer than 2 years. I am very disappointed as I have made a large investment. At this stage I would strongly recommend to to deal with Origin when it comes to solar.

Rebate not sufficient to replace Inverters

By the time you get the Panels cleaned yearly at a cost of $150 and replace a inverter costing $1500 after 5 years and 2 months, the 7 cents a kw is poor return of investment.

Long term investment, short term support

Our advice to you is to forget any thoughts of Solar until you can cope with the disappointment when it fails, because it will fail and you’ll need spare money for repair costs.

Many years with Origin Energy, Origin Gas so when Origin Solar telephoned regarding the installation of Solar Panels, my wife and I talked it through, couldn’t really afford it, but with all the hype, reduce the electricity bill, save the planet and an existing trust of the Origin Energy brand, we took the solar power plunge.

The system had worked for five and a half years without incident.

The inverter (Clenergy Solar Inverter SPH15 ) has failed (Relay Fault) and apparently can not be repaired. The manufacturer, Clenergy apparently does not sell, support or repair this product anymore.

Origin Solar will not pay for any repairs or replacement, stating "Origin feels the inverter has exceeded its warranty period as well as the consumer guarantee period" (email: Justin SR00120745 Origin Solar) so all costs to restore the system to working order are ours ($187.00 service fee + $1550.00 for new inverter).

When this new cost is added to the purchase price, we can not even come close to recovering our investment.

I don’t think it unreasonable to expect a $100.00 Toaster to last five and a half years. Origin Solar Power at a total cost of $4100.00 from our perspective, a bad purchasing decision.

Hi Peter, sorry to hear of the experience you've had with your Solar. We'd like to have one of our solar experts look into this and see what we can do. Can you please copy/paste this enquiry along with your account number and best contact details and email to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au Thanks- Lee-Anne.Hi Lee-Anne. I have done what you have asked.Thanks. I have made a mistake in the review. The System is actually Five years and Six months and Two weeks old when it failed. Sorry.

Installation and Aftersale attitude is disgusting

I have had my system for about five years and have learnt a lot since the install. Firstly, my installer buillied me into installing the panels on the eastern side of my roof as, if on the northen side, it would have been more work for him as he would have had to split the panels into two runs. This means i generate a lot less power than I could over a shorter period of the day, ok caveat emptor, and my fault for not insisting.

Secondly, I have recently had my Aero-Sharp inverter fail. The great thing, is that the fault light is green so a quick glance everything looks okay. i suspect I lost at least a month worth of generating before i noticed when I looked at my power companies website and noticed nothing was being generated. It then took Origin three weeks to get somebody out to look at the inverter and they replaced it with a refurbished Aero-Sharp inverter. Doing research on the inverters other installers have recalled and replaced these units as they are known to be very unreliable, in fact the manufacturer has gone out of business.

The repairers even admitted they were not happy with installing these units as they are pretty much certain it will fail. When I asked the origin case officer about this all she said was "that's what the manufacturer instructed us to do" which is really interesting as the manufacturer is no longer in business, so not sure who is refurbishing these units. Also, the only warranty on the replacement unit is the remainder of the original units warranty so they have no faith in the new units either. I was instructed to check my unit for failure on "at least a weekly basis", hence the case officer has no confidence in these units either.

Hi Ant, sorry to hear about the situation with your install and inverter. We'd really like one of our Solar experts to take a look at this for you. Can you please copy/paste your message along with your property details and best contact number. Please email it to us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au Thanks- Lee-Anne.

Would not recommend this product nothing but trouble

Invertor replaced twice now the third one has broken and out of warranty and at a cost over $1000 we can't afford so now we have to go without.

Hi Peter, sorry to hear you are on the third invertor and you are out of warranty. We'd still like to have one of our solar experts get in touch with you to see if there is anything we can do to help further. If you can copy/paste this message and send to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au along with your address and best contact details. Thanks, Lee-Anne