Philips PowerLife Steam

GC2960, GC2997, GC2999, etc...

• Product is used
  • Safety

AndrewCentral Queensland, QLD

No issues in over 2 years

We bought this iron over 2 years ago, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Realistically, irons are a pretty simple piece of kit, it's pretty hard to get it wrong. I especially like the auto-off function so that when the kids leave it on at the wall, it will turn itself off after 5 minutes. This has certainly saved me many dollars over the years.

It's been a great iron, with no likelihood of that changing any time soon.

Purchased in April 2018 at Harvey Norman for $67.00.

Philips S.Philips

Hi Andrew, we're happy to hear that you're so keen on the PowerLife steam iron. Thank you for sharing this here and enjoy the rest of your week!

Furqan Ali

Furqan AliSydney, NSW

Great Steam Iron

This iron has a fantastic power and shows outstanding results in ironing cotton/silk shirts and Jeans. I am amazed by its steam generating capacity. I will recommend this iron to everyone.

Gold Coast Chris

Gold Coast ChrisBrisbane

Cord ridiculously short and no user instructions!

First day using and I could not find any instructions in the box. I filled it up, turned it on and hoped for the best. The power cord only just reaches the full length of the ironing table: did the developers even try using it? Under use it spat water all over my white linen trousers, but once they had dried out there were no marks. I doubt that would be the same in a few months. I have no ideas what the settings on the top mean or how and when to descale it. Also the base is too wide to fit into my wall-mounted iron tidy (Howard’s Storage). Big disappointment. I'll give it a few more goes and if it doesn't improve it's going back.

Purchased in January 2020 at David Jones Retail Stores for $99.00.

New userGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Lovely iron but needs a longer cord

I am a long time philips iron user and this iron keeps up the standard. It is lightweight, heats up quickly but I am very disapppointed with the length of the cord. It is shorter than my old one and so I struggle unless I use an extension cord. Bring back the longer cord please.

Purchased in September 2019 at The Good Guys for $69.00.

New user

Thank you for responding and good to know that our comments are taken on board. Cheers

Amit R.

Amit R.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Average to Bad for Philips brand value

Easy to use but temperature control is tricky. Easily gets too hot sometimes. With Philips one would expect a pretty high performing product. Works well with Cotton but linen and poly can be tricky. Steaming is good and works well combined with iron temperature.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $69.00.

Matt R

Matt RAU

It’s great, very hot and glides easily

I purchased this iron based on the reviews on Amazon and because Philips has a relatively good reputation as an iron brand. The iron is probably one of the best I’ve used, its ability to glide along my work shirts is exceptional. I’ve found that the iron temperature gets hot enough to iron some of the most difficult shirts. The one thing I didn’t like is that the iron didn’t come with a cup to refill the water... I thought this was standard with every iron. Not a huge issue though. Good value for money!

Purchased in August 2019 at Amazon for $59.00.

Gibso

Gibso

A really good iron

Having had our last Philips iron for 10 years, naturally we replaced it with another Philips iron. So far we are pleased with this new one. The water gurgled at first, but it irons well.

Purchased in August 2019 at Harvey Norman Online for $69.00.

Jarrod

JarrodGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

High quality iron

Pricey but you get what you pay for? Bought a cheap one that lasted a while but wouldn't iron very well. This uses water quite efficiently, has a good weight to it and turns on super quick.

Purchased in January 2019 at Amazon for $79.00.

Philips S.Philips

Thanks for taking your time to write this review and we appreciate the valuable feedback, Jarrod. :)

Kit

KitAU

Great performance

Very easy to use and get started with this iron. Just finished ironing shirts that my previous iron couldnt handle.
Quick and easy iron, although the instructions
- mainly pictures - are obviously made for the global market. Didnt see a need for registering warranty on this item. Would recommend for anyone.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Philips S.Philips

Hi Kit, thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you've been impressed with this PowerLife Steam iron. If you ever need our help, feel free to reach out to us on social media.

Jroc

Jroc

Really easy to use product, with great results.

Really enjoy using this iron. Am always getting great heat and steam, which makes ironing out any creases really simple and quick to use. Ironing was always a chore with my previous irons, but its been made super quick and easy with this one, and am very glad I've bought it.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Dannie

DannieSomerton Park, South Australia 5044

Easy to use and good price

Bought this from good guys as we got 20 dollars off it. You just fill it up with water and set what type of steam setting you want and what type of fabric your going to iron and then go ahead and iron. The cord is super short but that's the only problem we had with it

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Winnie da pooh

Winnie da poohPerth

It does the job

It really can do tge job and my clothes straight
But the biggest problem of the iron is that it sticks with my clothes everytime when i am ironing which is pretty hard to get it off and also it forms some black thing on the plate afterwards which is hard to get rid of them. The price is also not cheap, it’s right under a hundred dollar which is cheaper than most of the brand but it’s still expensive

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
Philips S.Philips

Hi there, thanks for taking your time to write this review. We've just replied to your private message.

MBowman

MBowmanCanberra

Going on Auto off and won't heat

I am very disappointed, we have had the iron for less than 3 years and the auto off function comes on as soon as you plug the iron and won't heat. The warranty was for 2 years so maybe it was intentionally badly designed to make us go and get another one. I got philips because my mother had her iron for years, but clearly they don't make them of the same quality anymore so I have to look at other brands now. What a waste of products, plastic especially! It's bcs of businesses like these that our planet is covered in plastic waste.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Breadkrumz

BreadkrumzPerth

Very useful quick n easy

The iron heats up well in time a to perfect temperature control is easy and steam is just right to keep my fresg clothes fresh the iron is very reliable and safe it lets me know when i have left it on and forgotten to turn it off by a beeping sound so i never forget

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Philips S.Philips

Hi, there. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review here. We appreciate it as this is very valuable for us.

Kind regards,
The Philips Australia Team.

Joe

JoeSydney

Business man essential

Always ironing my shirts for work, gone through so many models and this was the deal breaker, heats up in min, and once you get used to the heating functions, breeze to use. Feels well made in the hand, however lighter than the average iron which is a bonus for wrist pains.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Dalton1

Dalton1melbourne

Meets My Needs

I am only an occasional ironer and this Philips iron meets my needs.
Its lightweight, heats up quickly and seems to hold the right temperature. Steam works well and the cord is long enough. It does have some discoloration on the base but for the times I need an iron, this does just fine.

Date PurchasedSept 2015
Paul

PaulAdelaide

Good iron

I have the GC2999. This is a good looking iron (which shouldn't matter but influenced my decision), and feels well made in the hand, being perhaps heavier than the average iron. It heats up quickly and reponds well to temperature control changes. I've had no problems with the spray or steam functions. I do wish the power cord was a bit longer but that's my only complaint so far. Otherwise I'm happy, it performs well.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Not a good iron

This iron sticks to everything. It doesn't matter how much you turn it down it sticks to every garment. Then i am forever trying to clean the soleplate. Which is not an easy task at all. This iron has not been good from day one. I am very frustrated with this product.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Sticks and ruins clothes

Just 'melted' my last clothing item. As others have said, this iron is hopeless. I thought it was just me, but even on lower settings it sticks to clothes (particularly black for some reason) and I have an immovable brown mark on the iron as well. I also find it spits bits out at irregular intervals. Can never tell when it will happen.
Glad to have read these reviews to know it's not just me and I can safely bin this - despite the waste of money and the clothes now with marks. Expect better from Philips.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Philips S.Philips

Hello, we're sorry to hear this and we take a situation like this very seriously. We just sent you a private message asking for your contact details. We’d like to get in touch and see if we can help you.

Last Philips product for me

Bought this iron, (plus another Philips product), due to brand name.
Only used shop bought ironing water with it. Ok for about a year, then a brown sludge substance, rust coloured, started coming through the steam holes, staining the clothes. Also appeared as though there were bits of metal in it as well. Put the iron through a cleaning cycle, and could never rid the iron of this sludge deposit. Water in the reservoir always looked clean, but still the brown sludge continued to appear.
Also had a tendency to stick to clothing even when using lower temperatures.
In the bin with the other Philips product.

Philips S.Philips

HI there. That's odd, a descaling cycle should do the trick. If that didn't help, maybe our colleagues at 1300 363 391, option 1 (for Australia) or at 0800 658 224, option 1 (for New Zealand) are able to help out.

Steamed
Steamed

Hi, not sure what support could have been given over a phone, other than take it to a service centre, and as it was out of warranty, I elected to dismantle to see if any repair could be affected. Not possible, so it was discarded.

Farasat  F.

Farasat F.asked

PowerLife Steam

Hi, my iron is not working. When I seitch it on, it immediately turns to auto off

Vicky S

Vicky Sasked

PowerLife Steam

When I am ironing water leaks on to the garment. It doesn't matter how hot the iron is it still leaks. How do I stop this happening please as it is a nuisance.

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. We're sorry to hear that you’re experiencing leaking issues with your steam Iron. We recommend taking a look at the following troubleshooting page and trying the tips that are mentioned to see if that helps to resolve the issue. You can find the page here: https://www.philips.com.au/c-f/XC000013154/my-philips-steam-iron-is-leaking-from-its-soleplate.

If the issue continues then Please feel free to get in touch via social media. We’re available 24/7 on Facebook (https://philips.to/fb247) and Twitter (https://philips.to/tw247). You can also reach us on 1300 363 391 (AU) or on 0800 658 224 (NZ).

spozhmai k.

spozhmai k.asked

PowerLife Steam

Hello can i used philip power life plus iron without filling water?

Yes you can.

It will still heat the plate for ironing, however you won't get any steam to help the process

Philips S.Philips

Hi there. Thank you for your question here. In order for the appliance to function properly, we do recommend filling water inside the unit. However, you can also contact our colleagues directly with these numbers here: 1300 363 391 from Monday - Friday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm EST (AU) or 0800 658 224 from Monday - Friday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm EST (NZ). They would be happy to help.

See all Philips PowerLife Steam questions

Get an answer from our members and Philips representatives

Compare all 7 Philips PowerLife Steam
Philips PowerLife Steam GC2910
  • Discontinued

Philips PowerLife Steam GC2910

No reviews yet
CategoryIrons & Steam GeneratorsIrons & Steam GeneratorsIrons & Steam GeneratorsIrons & Steam Generators
Price (RRP) $79.95$100.00$79.95
FeaturesAuto Shut Off, Drip-Stop, Vertical Steam and Water SprayDrip-Stop and Vertical SteamAuto Shut Off, Drip-Stop, Vertical Steam and Water Spray
CordlessNoNo
Steam GeneratorNoNoNo
Water Tank Capacity320 ml300 ml320 ml
Colour / FinishPinkBlackDark Blue
Cord Length2 m
Steam Output40 g/min40 g/min
Power2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W
Weight1.26 kg1.3 kg1.26 kg
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateNov 2011Nov 2011Nov 2011