Qantas Assure Health Insurance

Qantas Assure Health Insurance

Dont bother - not worth points

Policy value doesn't cover much but I was aware of this but shocking customer service and they will make claiming so hard despite their own mistake of not covering me whilst confirming their will be no waiting periods once I switched.
On claiming you have to speak to several people who give you information which is incorrect and make claims so difficult and almost impossible to fulfil criteria. They also done pay out claims until you keep chasing them.
I certainly do not want to be chasing them if I have had a major health issue as a basic remedial massage claim has caused me enough trouble.
Their responses are arrogant, untimely and ask for criteria which make it impossible to claim and when you phone them they apologise and are as nice as they can be without being able to help in anyway.
A traditional insurer may be more suitable than an airline company in health insurance.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo

Qantas is a nightmare

i tried to ring qantas i was on hold for hours , anyone wanting to find anything out is a nightmare , nib would not help me even though they are the underwriters, so i changed to nib direct , even though qantas gives you points its not worth the nightmare ,don't do it

Book AgainNo

Poor customer service - only worth changing for the frequent flyer points

I was about to change to NIB when I realised I could get the same policy with Qantas and get a large number of frequent flyer points at the same time. However I was soon to learn that, that this is all this policy is worth, the frequent flyer points. Their customer service is appalling. I was given misleading information from the very first conversation I had with someone. I had to call up to query the payments they had taken from my account as the amount I was told I would be charged and what was actually taken from my account differed. Then when I went to make my first claim it was declined. Upon appeal it was paid - apparently an admin error. Then when I went to make the same claim again, it was declined again and this is where I realised their customer service team were completely inexperienced and out of their depth. By this point I had received my frequent flyer points so I contacted NIB and left. Who needs the stress of claims being incorrectly declined, alongside incompetent staff. Avoid this health fund unless you are joining purely for the qantas frequent flyer points.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

We changed over to Qantas Assure Health Insurance and are very happy with the service

We changed to Qantas Assure health insurance it was easy to do & good value for money, would definitely recommend to our friends and family plus the points as a bonus

Coverage TypeCouple
Book AgainYes

Overpriced

I was attracted by the potential points you could earn by switching but when I compared the costs for the same cover that I currently have, the prices were exorbitant. No thanks Qantas.

Claim MadeNo

Much higher premiums for the same cover

Qantas health insurance quote for SilverPlus Hospital cover, $500 Excess and Lifestyle Extras including my Lifestyle Loading and Govt rebate was $50 per month MORE than a written quote from NIB for the same cover! That's over $600 a year , every year. That's a lot for the points. And its even worse than this because the operator informed me that Qantas Assure is backed by NIB.

Coverage TypeSingle
Claim MadeNo

Be aware - NO QANTAS POINTS UNTIL YOU CALL THEM!

Please be aware of the fact that you won't receive any Qantas points for you joining this health fund until you call them and ask for points transfer. Its very disappointing as you should receive points 3 months after you have joined the fund and as they say it all should happen automatically. I waited for 4 months, while nothing happened and my wife waited for 5 months and still no transfer!

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Earning Points makes health care insurance fun.

Very happy with Qantas Assure and using the well being app gives you extra Qantas Points. Signup was simple and easy - the lady on the phone was very helpful.

Insurance claim madeYes

Impossible to do a claim and nothing is actually covered

I’ve had top cover with them and it’s just a scam! Impossible to put a claim through you turn in circle for ages. All that so later on they send you a letter saying “actually we do. It cover this particular thing”

Honest, Helpful & Streamlined

I've been extremely happy with Qantas Assure. Signing up was a breeze, and the lady on the phone told me a little tip of how to get an extra 50,000 points (which came through seamlessly). Every single time I've called, I've had an extremely helpful Australian phone operator, with little to no wait time.

I made two separate claims. One of them got rejected, but that was only because I attached the wrong receipt, and they explained to me exactly what they needed to process it. Both was processed and back into my bank within 2 business days.

I adjusted my premium over the phone, and got instant confirmation and change to my policy.

If they keep this up, I will never see a reason to change to a different health fund.

Insurance claim madeYes

Don’t know what ppl are complaining about

Yes I’m happy with the policy to date.
Very easy to set up
Customer service is fine. No problems waiting to long on the phone
Claiming on line simply
Claim payment quite

Insurance claim madeYes

The Consultant Katie Sanders was amazing & went out of her way! Very caring, helpful & thorough.

Katie Sanders should be the CEO, great attention to detail & listened. As i employ 25 staff, ones like Katie are real keepers. Thanks again

Insurance claim madeNo

I can Qantas Assure you that this is turbulent health insurance company.

I took out 3 policies for myself, partner and mother because of the Qantas points incentives. We had previously had policies with Bupa and Medibank.

My partner and I use the policy regularly for optical, Physio and remedial massage. My mother has more complex health needs and so she uses it for a number of health requirements.

With Qantas Assure, never have I had such a problem making basic claims. The online process for uploading receipts looks deceptively simple. In reality, we had almost half of our claims rejected after 2-3 days, always for eligible claims and items. Never with full or adequate explanation of the issue. To follow up each claim required ringing customer service, and a minimum of a 30 minute phone call, re-assessment, and then another 3-4 day wait for processing (sometimes rejected again, even after customer agent said it should be processed).

For health benefits like the healthy lifestyle benefit, we made attempts 4 times to claim using all the documentation available (including forms and receipts, for both gym – Snap Fitness, the official partner of Qantas Assure – and a registered pilates practitioner). On each occasion, we are told that documentation was incomplete and the claim would not be processed, despite a fully signed health form and itemised evidence of payment. The hurdles kept changing again and again.

Note also that many psychiatric management services require a $500 annual excess payment – which is not the case with other big insures like Medibank and Bupa.

I suspect many of the higher starred reviews here are people that have made a claim or two over a short period.

We've had the policy for 6 months, and I can Qantas Assure you that this is a dud company.

We have changed insurer because 7 days to process claims, and hours online and on the phone to do so, plus an inability to access eligible policy items, is plain ridiculous. We found similar policies were about $250 cheaper and had meaningful claim processes. Sign up points bonus is worth it, then leave after 3 months. The ongoing points are not worth the claiming headaches, wasted time and $250 'annual fee'.

UPDATE: Every month I made a claim for my mother for the same physio provider. Now, the seventh month, I have received the following rejection: "The provider you visited is not recognised by us." This never happened for 6 months and has now begun following this posted review. Expect the unexpected with Qantas Assure. To get paid Extras is a lottery. Better off going to the Casino.

Very pleased we switched

I have used the various comparison sites a few times to compare to my BUPA policy but it was always hard to compare the amounts you could claim and as the premium was about the same I didn't bother. When the Qantas Assure offer came around I though it wouldn't be worth changing just for the points but decided to do a comparison. I was very surprised to find that most limits were higher than BUPA and that they pay 75% of each claim rather than a set benefit. This means you do reach your limit quicker but as the limit is higher (mostly by $100 per person per year on each category) you are still getting more back overall. For those who only claim occasionally and don't reach their limit then you will be getting more back each claim, e.g. if you claim 2 massages at $80 each you will get back $120 out of your $160 paid. BUPA's rebate was about $35 per claim so you would get back $70 out of your $160. We had been with BUPA for many years and had recently found that their answer to a lot of claims such as pharmaceutical was NO, but Assure have paid 75%. When my husband tore his achilles just before Christmas and we went straight to his podiatrist (she was already treating him for achilles pain) then from there to the physio, the subsequent boot and bandaging to get him immobilised before he could see the specialist was not covered by BUPA, a significant cost. A GP was not available (typical) and we did not consider it to be an emergency to waste time at the hospital. BUPA would only cover the boot etc had he waited 5 days to see the specialist before being immobilised, causing pain and further damage to this achilles. I can only imagine that had we been with Assure it would have been covered as so many things now are that BUPA baulked at. It is up to the individual to compare the policies and get one that suits their needs and pattern of claims but for us it has been well worthwhile. And please don't change a health policy just for points, in the long run your health is far more important than some points!

Terrible customer service

I didn’t even take out the policy because I couldn’t (they had incorrect details on the system that they “couldn’t fix”) and when they said they’d call me back they didn’t. I followed them up 4 times before someone called me back and then the representative thought he would speak to me in a condescending manner. I can’t imagine dealing with them should I need to make a claim relating to a health issue.

Will be cancelling

Better benefits through my previous Health insurance so will not be continuing with Qantas Assure. Qantas should concentrate on delivering better airfares and services to their clients. Not trying to be everything to everyone! Most annoying!

Don’t go there

The customer support was lacking.
The pay off on claims was terrible.
My advice is do not go there.
Poorest claim repayment if any company I have been with in 20 years.

Insurance claim madeYes

I have just spent the afternoon comparing Health funds making use of Compare the Market and calling a few funds. For us at this time Qantas Assure is the best value. My experience with the staff was great. I had someone who was articulate, knowledgeable, helpful and really really pleasant to deal with.

Insurance claim madeNo

Don't do it for the points payoff - cheaper to pay for the fares

Policy is pretty ordinary value in comparison to the open marketplace. I joined to get the points sign up as I don't generally claim, however transferring/getting a refund for direct debits which they neglected to cancel (even with the transfer certificate) is a nightmare. If you compare the Qantas Assure policies (provided by NIB but with the Qantas banner) the packages are inflated around 70% for the points pay off, but with a reduction in the claim limits. For health insurance, I would steer clear as there are better coverage policies for much less readily available from other providers. No email enquiry either, only call centre hours which are 9am to 7 pm weekdays only - however they always seem to shut early as I've never been able to get through after 5pm and get put on a loop of answering machine messages - then wind up getting cut off. I'd imagine making a claim would be almost impossible.

Don't recognise Revitive Pharma TENS & EMS machine

Very disappointed with my 2 current claims with Qantas Assure
1. Champix - could not claim even though I have Top Cover including prescriptions on reading small print item is subsidised so therefore I cannot claim
2. Revitive Pharma with TENS machine and EMS - cannot claim because its heading is 'Circulation Booster' (which is a trade name) The heading has to say TENS machine!! Have spoken to several Pharmacists and Revitive themselves and they state they have never had a problem with a claim on medical insurance before, but Qantas Assure will not recognise the Revitive so here I sit in pain and suffer