RACV Home & Contents

See the Best Home and Contents Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Very disappointed with the long delay

Had enormous faith and trust in RACV.. unfortunately the quality of service is dropping. Waiting over 35 days to fix a problem that had lifetime warranty. They use dodgy companies to do the work who spoil their reputation
Called 8 times in 35 days.!! Still waiting.

quick service

Have home and contents insurance with RACV and they were excellent with my claim for a fridge/freezer which has not worked since a severe storm caused it to breakdown and they arranged a replacement as it was covered by my insurance policy. No fuss to me and it was delivered yesterday. I have always found RACV to be very helpful.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateAugust 2019

You can’t trust them. Change insurers now!

cant trust them. Claims team are terrible. Had a total loss claim and they try to get me to settle for less. Get you caught up in their never ending to process. Constant delays and emails not returned to. Don’t trust them with your house. Insure elsewhere!

Property TypeTownhouse
Type of ClaimVandalism/Malicious Damage

Disgraceful RACV & TANDEM

Claim lodged on the 8 July for storm/wind damage - advised by RACV the claim was accepted at inception. Waited for Tandem to call - waited and waited then I decided to call them. Following week the building supervisor attends to inspect. At the house for 7 min's at the most and was told I would be in contact in 2 days. He provides me a verbal scope.

21 days later with a number of follow ups during I decided to call RACV to be told "sorry your claim is declined". Decision based on Tandem inspector, same guy who bunny hopped his car on his arrival and started a recording from outside of the premises. A quick in and out visual and measurement which he is discussing with his work colleague over his phone, whilst I stand there waiting, unprofessional. Max of 7 mins at the house then to be told sorry we cant assist you. There was No plumbing Report, No BOM report, No physical roof inspections, nothing.

Absolute disgraceful not only with the decision but with the manner this was handled. Whilst you, RACV are one of the biggest insurers in Vic, you cannot continue to treat customers like rubbish.

All my policies will be changed, well done Tandem you and RACV are a match made in heaven, both lack customer service, untruthful and not accountable for decisions you make and continue to brag how great you are, not.

Wake up, you've been taking my money for many many years on several policies and now can't pay a claim which responds to an insurable event in your PDF.

Disgraceful.

Claim DateJuly 2019

This company should be deregulated

My opinion
Disgraceful insurer. Their review rating (1.9) proves over 80% customers hate them. They send plumbers and builders out, who tell lies in the report. Watch them. Plumber told me to leave the room while he did the test. Was not allowed to watch??? Also told me can’t discuss findings with me, RACV’s rule. I could of proven them to be lies, there and then. I Paid $330 for a 3rd party to look. His report and comments, No waterproofing problems, no leaking shower screen. He looked at RACV’s plumbers report, said it false, his findings and pictures do not support each other, lies.
30 years with them, this was our 1st claim. Won’t make 31 years.
Very discussing customer service, very rude, right to the top.
Did what their web site advises, went to AFCA. Don’t waste your time. Made their decision on hear say and lies, not facts.
Took 9 months to be denied. Discussing, pathetic, ridiculous.
Good luck to anyone who deals with Christina from Sydney. Supposedly as high as you can go on the Eastern seaside, she is the lowest and very rude, RACV don’t believe in customer service at all.

Don’t insure with this. 97 out of 100 will regret it. Listen to reviews.
Stayed tuned to this site, I will be up loading the phone call from RACV, then you make your decision how discussing they are. It will be played on current affairs

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim ApprovedNo

Won't answer calls, hang up on me, wait 40 minutes, don't answer emails.

It been almost 2 weeks since I claimed. they won't return emails. Ive waited 30 minutes and then it went back to main menu. Hung up on. Had a conversation but nothing came from it. Waited 38 minutes and then they pretended they weren't there but I could hear them. After 2 minutes i said I won't hang up and I'll stay on the line so they hung up. It was 505pm. So frustrating.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019

Very happy.

Good value.Had a leak in apartment from next door.Claims were helpful.Sent people out quickly and cash settled within a month.No complaints with RACV.Only a member one year.Will renew with them again.A touch pricier than others but not the most expensive.

Coverage TypeContents Only
Property TypeApartment/Unit
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJune 2018

I can't believe this is happening again!

After going through a frustrating claim 18 months ago we now have another leak. And so it continues. Their builders, Unique Building Services come out to visit. Arrive later, only interested in replacing A/C, which was none of their business, didn't have steps or ladder, didn't look at carpet etc. I then make 3/4 calls to RACV for updates but waiting on reports. Then, after 75 minute phone call I speak to Shelly from Home Claims. I asked her once to stop yelling, 5 times to let me finish then when I ask her a question, she doesn't answer, says I can't help you and hangs up. I cannot believe this is happening.

Claim DateJune 2019
Escalate issues to client relations. They say they will ring me in 2-3 days. Don't ring so I contact them. They say we understand ur frustration and someone will get back to you in 2-3 days. Flabbergasted

Only a problem when you make a claim

Had a flood caused by a pipe burst up the street and water flowed through backyard. I had landlord insurance and contacted the RACV to make a claim. The carpet was ripped up and dried and then nothing for seven weeks. I requested emails, communication or an outline of what they were doing. Nothing. I am now forced to work on this for frequently and had to contact the subcontractors directly. The real problem is that the RACV do not assign a case manager so no-one is responsible. I have had 7 different customer service people that have no idea what is going on with the project. Complete shambles in fact the only email sent has been a request for payment of the $1000 excess. You would be silly to use this company again.

August 2nd 2019 Update: Not worth the pain. Four months, 32 emails and more than 24 different customer service operators

The RACV has turned a simple project involving a flooding of one room into a nightmare. The RACV policies and management systems are designed to frustrate access to RACV staff. To start with any project should have a responsible person for the project. The RACV doesn't do this. A normal project involves communicated what is going to occur and when, the RACV does not do this. Every phone is directed through a central number with a 10-15 minute wait. The operator answers and then you have to explain the problem, identify yourself and then they direct to the correct person. Often this person will promise to send an email and this doesn't occur. The RACV uses a central email so that you get an automated response and often the emails are not responded to. There are no direct emails or phone numbers so any project questions are routed through multiple stages. The only prompt email from the RACV was the request to pay the excess. I have time to send 32 emails, and talk to 24 different customer service operators and I know that if I was working full time I would have given up. I believe that the RACV has designed their systems so that most people will simply give up. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Big Time Waster. Impossible to contact.

Neighbour rolled car into my fence. Her insurer RACV. I called RACVwith the claim number and was put through to a third-party service centre (they do not even deal with claim internally!!). E-mails sent, calls made, put on hold for hours. I do not insure through RACV and now I NEVER will. Still on hold..... It seems to me that they just want me to go away and not deal with the claim.

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Storm damaged

made another claim last week winds pushed my cazzeeboo.
They said not covered as water damage from a down pipe which was flowing the opposite way rotted post. They even couldn’t check posts as they were in concrete. Canceling my policy and going elsewhere. There happy to take your money.

Claim DateFebruary 2019

Watch out for sneaky increase of your house and contents value

I have been with RACV for 15 or so years.

A 30% increase on my annual H&C premium was hard to swallow and caused me to start asking questions and seeking competitive quotes. Apparently, the majority of the increase was somewhat based on storm from last year that i did claim.

However, when I started looking into the details further; RACV seem to also annually increase the value of your house and content by 5% to fatten up their premiums; so higher than inflation or CPI. A little bit sneaky I think.

Additionally, when I did get the claim approved, RACV's preferred approach was to just give me a cheque and request that I project manage the repairs myself in my own time. As a busy professional, studying part time at the time and a father of 2 kids - this was not my preferred approach and I did request they reconsider and they refused.

Home and contents insurance - Increase in premium for 2019 of almost 300%

I have been a multi policy owner since 2000. Home and contents and car insurance. I have made 2 small claims on home insurance and 1 on car.

This year received a premium increase on house and contents of almost 300%. The explanation was that the underwriter has now been able to correctly map the property and the risks warrant the increase.

Insurance claim madeYes

So much for being a loyal customer

Been with RACV for house, contents and car insurance for over 12 years and never claimed. Had part of ceiling fall down in Melbourne storm yesterday. Called RACV to ask what we should do and was told that the building insurance ran out on 20 Oct and wasn't renewed. Probably on oversight on my behalf as I was overseas when the renewal arrived, but I haven't received any reminder. Anyway, they give 14 days grace, allegedly, which ran out on 2nd or 3rd Nov! So they won't cover the claim. Pretty short sighted if you ask me. With $500 excess and the fact it is only a matter of replacing a maximum of 2 gyproc sheets, the cost to them would be less than $1000. Well they have lost me as a customer and my annual building premium was over $2250. My advice is to go elsewhere for you insurance. I have.

Insurance claim madeYes

$200,000 of members money spent on accommodation and bogus testing and still no home to live in!

16 months of lies and deception. Water leak that lead to mold infestation throughout my property. Ill children even one hospitalized and I am the one that is mad? nearly 14 months in temporary accommodation at $3000.00 a week and still I ado not have a home to live in. Tradesman after tradesman, test after test lie after lie fabrication after fabrication. I am now out of pocket more than $15,000 and still no home to go back too. 3 children that again cannot have a tree for Christmas as RACV like to bounce families around at a click of their fingers. 5 times in 14 months a lot for anyone, little own 3 Kids.
I have spent over 70 hours on the phone to be bounced around. They lack any customer service skills at all. No one seems to know who looks after what or it is simply someone else's problem.
They even brake rules that have been set down by outside bodies and get away with it. Once you have dealt with a so called customer relations manager that will do nothing they will bring in their so called big guns who is actually who you are insured with all along NOT RACV but IAG. More lies!
Trust me stay away!!!

Insurance claim madeYes

Long time member of racv very disappointed

I have been paying racv insurance premiums for car and house and contents for years.
When i rang them to assist with a first time claim for water damage in our bathroom they put me on hold in order to check if they could find a technical loophole to get out assisting with said damage. When i asked what my premiums actually covered all they could tell is what they would not cover.
Extremely disappointed. It seems taking out in insurance in good faith counts for nothing, despite being a loyal member for many years. Essentially we are all paying good money to corporations who are happy to take it for nothing in return. It's laughable to see these insurance companies, and banks advertising themselves as being friendly and helpful when clearly its only about making a buck.

Insurance claim madeYes

Never an easy process, will find ways not to cover a legitimate claim

I have been with the company over 15 years, never made a claim. Had a water leak and will only cover a portion of the area as they used a term stating there was a break which I accepted given there was a door the first time. This resulted in me being out of pocket over $6000. Unfortunately 12 months on had another leak in larger area with no doors yet have stated another fixture is considered a break in one open living area, even though no dividing walls, doorways, arch or change in floor coverings. RACV you are a joke and will never come recommended to anyone. You will find every reason tot to pay or fulfil a legitimate claim. I gave you a chance to prove yourself second time and again I ended up in a worse position again. NEVER insure with RACV will find every loop whole to not pay or deny a claim.

Insurance claim madeYes

How did RACV become so bad, what happened

Impersonal call centres, no one person looks after your claim, no effective claims management, incredibly and unnecessarily slow repair process. Trades people call the client for instructions and not RACV, how come? My advice is RACV no longer has a customer service focus. You would be better off not having insurance. Their call centre operators do not know what they are doing, they give incorrect advice and do not return promised calls. I would have been better off not having insurance at all. Thirty years of loyalty with hardly any claims. It is time for me, my extended family, associates and friends to look elsewhere. Worst service ever experienced.

Worst experience ever

I was given misinformation by their trades - when I attempted to hold them to account they lied - denied what was said. I don't mind an honest disagreement on reading the policy or definitions but when you are lied to and treated with contempt to avoid payout you know it's a terrible insurance policy and time to get out.

Home and contents

Very quick and easy cash settlements, without replacement photos or at times replacement quotes provided.
Sue scoble was great to deal with and very understanding.