Real Home & Contents Insurance

Real Home & Contents Insurance

Worst insurance company ever, stay away

After 9 years with them we had claim due to storm in December. Accesor came, told us it's easy claim and we will get new carport. His report was something completely different, everything was our foult, gutter were full of debris even his pictures shows otherwise. They denied our claim because of that and poor tradesmansihip. Absolute joke. Stay away from them.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Jerry, I am sorry to hear that we were unable to assist with your claim. You may be able to apply to have your claim reviewed, in which I can arrange for you to be contacted to discuss this option. If you would be open to discussing this further, please send a private message with your policy and contact details. Kind regards, Tess

I had 5yrs home and contents with Real Insurance with No claims, then they refused to renew

After several phone calls and emails to them I eventually was told “ Because of recent weather events and the geographical location of my property I no longer met their underwriter conditions “ I replied that I must have slept through the tsunami that hit the Goldcoast and had not moved my house from its position, it is 16 metres above sea level” I insisted they stated this ridiculous reason as I needed it to give to a new insurer . It’s a question on all insurance applications. I am now with NRMA and also cancelled my life insurance with Real . Telling them I am a loyal customer but they had treated me with contempt.
Would not touch Real Insurance again

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Claim MadeNo
Hi Bob, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to learn that it has not been a positive one and that you have opted to cancel your life insurance policy because of this experience. We understand that being informed your policy is not being renewed can come as a surprise and for this reason, we provide you with notice to allow you to arrange alternative cover. Kind regards, TessYou never explained why the change in underwriters conditions. The fact tha my house is not in a flood zone and that other insurers agreed with me that your companies decision seemed ridiculous. There is a saying that you only tell a good insurance company from a bad one is making a claim. Thank god I never had to make a claim with your company!!!

Claim Dismissed

I enquired about making a claim as my Wife had lost a small diamond out of her eternity ring.
This was ( i believe) the first time i had tried to claim anything, the chap was less than helpful and being told i would have to pay the first $500, seems like i am carrying ALL THE RISK, and you are carrying none.
It would appear the only time insurance is useful is if EVERYTHING, i own is destroyed at the same event.
I will certainly seek other quotes when my multiple policies are up for renewal.
As a footnote, i payed for diamond replacement out of my own pocket, if i cannot rely on you when i have an issue what is the point

May have got my various policies confused, obviously i was taking about my contents insurance. Hard for me to comment on Funeral Insurance as i have not yet made a claim yetHi Gary, Thanks for getting in touch. We would appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in your policy and Real Insurance. If you would be open to discussing the structure of your policy, please send a private message with your contact and policy details and our service department will be in contact shortly. Regards, Tess

They tell lies

I have water damage in my ceiling. Real Insurance sent an inspector to look. He said it was because my gutters were not cleaned enough. Ive since had 2 quotes to change my roof from tiles to colourbond. Both have said that was not the reason. They both said that part of the roof had not been constructed properly in that a corner metal section had been installed incorrectly. Real Insurance thus said everything was my fault and did everything to make even reporting it like proving I was innocent of murder. I cant even look at their ads they make me so angry. Stay away from them at all costs!

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Gavsart, we are sorry that we were unable to help you this time. Unfortunately, the terms and conditions outlined in our PDS mean that not all items are covered. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please send us your policy details via a private message and we will have a Claims Manager get in touch with you shortly. Regards Tess

Best scammers in the country

My house ceilling colapse with no reason at all I did come after two weeks overseas and the whole ceilling was on the floor I did call Real Insurance (the scammers) and i have been told it is dodgy work from builder and im not covered. The builder come around and fix it with no issues at all even the house was out of warranty Real ( scammers) Insurance took them 7 months to call me back to tell me im not insured. I asked them why took them 7 months to call me and they did not have a clue and told me sorry and hang up. I think the word SORRY does not have a meanning anymore. The only think they care is just your money Once they got your money they dont care Thanks to my builder who did come and fix the ceiling free of charge And SHAME on Real Insurance

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Like any insurance company, our insurance policies have terms and conditions, which mean that unfortunately sometimes claims are rejected due to these terms. All claimants are entitled to have their claims reviewed. If this is something you would like to pursue, please share your policy details in a private message and we will have a Claims Manager contact you.i did read your terms and conditiins when i took the insurance few years ago and i did not expect my insurance not to fix a colapsed ceilling The matter now is been fixed by the builder and i dont want to be contacted by your claims manager to tell me some other BS II had enough of this Real Scammers Company The review will stay as it is for future customers to be aware of Real Insurance Scam Thats why you have just 2 pathetic stars from reviewers You should be shame of yourself

Would never deal with this company

Had a policy with this company for 2 years. Cancelled the day we sold the house and they made us pay the following full month without refund because it was already scheduled to come out. My family who also have policies with them are not happy and will be changing companies. I advise people to stay away from a company like this

Coverage TypeHome Only
Claim MadeNo
We're very sorry to hear this. If you could please send us your policy details in a private message we will look into this and hopefully resolve this matter swiftly for you.How about you return the phone call to 0431618243 that your apparent team leader was supposed to be contacting me on.Still no response??? A classic example of why you shouldn’t deal with this company

Refused policy because of driving offense

We were refused to purchase a policy because my brother was suspended for driving offense, apparently according to real insurance that is a criminal offense, the people I spoke over the phone first of all weren’t even in Australia and they were trying to tell me that a driving offense is a criminal offense and it limits us from
Buying a home and content insurance! I mean how is that even relavent! So I contacted AAMI and they signed us up straight away without any issue...
terrible service real insurance

Claim MadeNo
We are sorry that you were unable to take out cover through Real Insurance. It is important to note that our underwriting criteria is based on assessments across an overall portfolio, and our intent is to ensure we can maintain competitive premiums offered to as wide a range of people as possible. If you can please send us a private message including your contact details, someone will call you to assist with your enquiry.Hoo no thanks! I’d rather not deal with your company! Your stuff was so rude and unhelpful, I’ve already bought a policy elsewhere, I just wanted to make more people aware about how terribly your company is.. you can kindly keep your solutions to yourself..

Absolutely shocking follw up

When my house was flooded I was impressed with the service. It's all gone down hill since then.I have been appalled at the follow up of my claim. Like others who have written reviews here I have called and emailed with absolutely no response at all. I have asked on three occasions to speak with a supervisor to find out whats going on. Apparently I'm not allowed to do that. I just called a few minutes ago. The girl said she would call right back. Of course she hasn't. I'm starting to think that staff are paid to write the good reviews on this site. My claim has been approved. One person at real tells me an amount for flooring. Someone else tells me something different. I have asked for things in writing. This never occurs. I have the builder calling to do repairs but can't proceed because nobody will get back to me and nobody will put anything in writing. I do understand that it is a very busy time for the staff, however, just responding to client inquiries should be a priority. This is not a good way to treat customers.
Kylie g

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kylie, it's disappointing to hear you've had an unpleasant experience with us. We strive to ensure that all our customers receive the best customer service experience and we take all customer feedback on board in order to improve our processes. Could you please send us a private message with your contact, policy and claim details so we can get a Claims Manager in touch to further discuss? Thank you.No option to write private messageClearly no improvement in service. I have no option here for a private message. Could you please supply another option.

Stay Away from Real Insurance

have been with Real Insurance for 8 years and never have had a claim previously. I lodged a first claim due to the storm and heavy rain broke the backyard fences. After the elevation, they rejected my claim and said it's due to poor condition. This is ridiculous, what do I need the insurance for. Stay away from them as they won't insurance you when you make the claim.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Adrienne, sorry to hear you are unhappy. All claimants are entitled to have their claims reviewed. If this is something you would like to pursue, please share your policy details in a private message and we will have a Claims Manager contact you.

Terrible service!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cancelled a policy and was informed I'd have the money credited within 10 days. Sweet.

Well, 16 days later, no money. I called again and was told that after they listened to their recordings they'll call back to discuss it further; they never called.

I called again, was told that I will be credited within 10 days. The money was credited a few days later - but minus $30 "because it was outside the cooling off period, and you were told that". I was told no such thing - besides, had I been credited FROM THE FIRST PHONE CALL I wouldn't be writing this negative review!

After a dozen calls I was told that the call's recordings will be listened to, whilst I waited - they claimed whilst yes, I did call in regards to a cancellation, I didn't ask for it! I told them I didn't make the call TO DISCUSS THE WEATHER!

I WISH I'D RECORDED MY CONVERSATIONS - INSTEAD ON RELYING ON THEM.

In the end I had to provide proof I had purchased a policy with another company !!!!!! I had to jump through hoops, but eventually received a full refund. I sure feel sorry for people who lose money by not following through and others with poor English skills.

Word of warning: if you ever cancel a policy - with any company - anticipate a cancellation email. If you do not receive within 15 min, call back immediately - don't wait.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hello, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We are disappointed to hear that you are unhappy with the service provided. If you would like to discuss this matter further please share your details with us. You can send us a private message on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Real.Insurance thanks.

Very Poor Service

17 years & never having a claim, was knocked back today as they don't recognise carpet as part of the dwelling, bye bye Real

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi, thanks for sharing your feedback. All claimants are entitled to have their claims reviewed; if you would like to pursue this please share your policy details with us. You can send us a private message on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Real.Insurance.

Do not trust these people!!!!!!

This is a repeated review from 4 years ago. I was with them from the day I purchased my home and took a policy out in 2002, remained with them for 3 years. When I made a claim on a leaking roof, they refused it, claiming I should have known the roof would leak, even though I had asked all the right questions in relation to any damage from both Fire and Storm/Rain. When I was taking out my policy with them, I was told that there was NO reason a claim for any water, or fire damage would be denied. Then, 3 years later, when I asked for help repairing damage from a leak in the roof during a storm, they told me that it was my own fault. They informed me that my roof had 10 year old tiles on it, and that after 10 years there was a chance it would leak. I did not know this, I am not a builder. However, they DID know this, and yet said nothing to me when I took out my policy with them. I have put this review in to this site once before, however every time I see an Ad on television for this company it fills me with anger and rage and I will continue to do this until the day I die. They lied to me, they cheated me, the claim was an honest one, and only a few $1000, but they chose to reject using their own deceptive tactics when I took out my policy to give them a reason to do so. They cannot be trusted and I would advise you all to not walk away from them, but RUN. As proven with me, even if you ask all the right questions, even if you make sure that everything is covered, even if you ask specific questions as in my case in relation to rain and a leaking roof, and they tell you that there is nothing to worry about, that you are 100% covered, but you are NOT, they are lying to you. Just a few $1000 dollars in my case, small change to them, but years of pain for me. I am still, 8 years later, paying back the money I had to borrow to repair my roof and kitchen and I am hopeful that it will be completed this year. I am on an invalid payment, and it is extremely hard to find even $5 to spare a week, and the depiction and lies of Real has given me years of stress, shame, and emotional pain. Do Not Trust These People. Do NOT trust them. After I posted my last review, a year later they contacted me through this website asking me to contact them. When I did, all they wanted to do, in my opinion, was to convince me to shut the hell up, they made no attempt to fix the problem, to offer any help, all they wanted was for me to go away, but of course they were very polite in their actions. I am now sure that they know I will not go away, and I will not shut up, I will do this over and over and over again, until the day I die, and even then I will do what I can to ensure someone else replaces me. People need to know, people deserve to know, that Real Insurance will deceive you, they will lie to you, they will gladly take your premiums for years, but the moment you put in a claim they will do all they can and use any trick they can think of to refuse your claim. I will never stop telling you, do not trust these people.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hello, thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to look into this and assist you where we can. Please share your policy details with us in a private message on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Real.Insurance.

Home insurance charge

I received my renewal and they increased it by 50%. No claims for 6 years as a customer. All because some desk jockey decided we are now in a flood and fire zone. Hope for ceo is happy with his muti million dollar bonus.

Insurance claim madeNo
Thanks for sharing your feedback, Ian. Please note that we've asked our Service team to contact you regarding this, thanks.

Incease in policy

Received my policy renewal recently, was surprised to see a 57,5% increase, rang to find out reason to be told I was now in a bush fire zoned area, I have been living here for 6 years No bush fires contacted the RFS and was informed that I had not been rezoned as a Bush fire area and never had been. Real were not in the least interested to be give this information. To add insult to injury I was informed that no discounts were still available.Result I cancelled my policy. Mr H

Insurance claim madeNo
Hello, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We would like to look into this further for you and have sent you a message on this platform. Would you mind sharing your policy or contact details with us? Thanks.

Poor

I will never take out another policy with real. We went to make a claim for water damage, it was denied!!! They found a loop hole to get out of paying. We had 7 policies with them . Very deceitful...

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mark, we're sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, the terms and conditions outlined in the PDS mean not all items can be covered. All claimants are entitled to have their claims formally reviewed; if this is something you'd like to pursue please share your policy details with us in a private message. You can message us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Real.Insurance thanks.I payed more in premiums over 7 policies per year, than the amount I'm claiming for. I will never use real insurance again!! I will also communicate to as many people NOT to use Real Insurance EVER !!!!!

Disgusted with real insurance

I received my house and contents renewal and it had risen 300% from last year. I had had no claims and there had not been any bush fires or floods in my area. When I queried the rise I was told that the insurance premium had increased due to cpi and normal annual increases and thats the best they could offer. I think that they must have thought that I was brainless and would blindly just renew my insurance. They even sent an email to say that my insurance would automatically renew on the due date. That email had no reply email address. Very disappointed in my treatment and will warn my family and friends to be very wary of real insurance. UPDATE: I have given Real Insurance another opportunity to explain why my insurance premium has risen by over $1,000 this year and they have once again been unable to explain the huge increase other than what they said previously. They are a joke. beware of REAL INSURANCE. I will never again seek an insurance quote from this real insurance.

Peter J

July 9th 2018 Update: Beware Real Insurance

Real Insurance gave me a good rate (slightly cheaper than my other quote) for my home and contents insurance in my first year however after my renewal became due the next year the renewal was well over $1,000 dearer than the previous year. Although I queried this increase several times with Real Insurance I was never given a specific answer as to why my quote had risen, only generalisations that the premium rise was nothing out of the norm. I had not had any claim on my insurance and there were no flood or fire events in my area. My advice is to avoid signing up with Real Insurance because if this is how they treat you when your premium is due for renewal
then I'd be very worried about my treatment if I had actually made a claim.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Peter, thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry that we were unable to assist further. If we can be of any assistance in the future please let us know.I can tell you that your Companys response was feeble and condescending, not giving me any specific justification or explaination for the huge increase in my premium. I have since had a quote from Coles Insurance which is $1,100 less than your premium fir the same insured amounts and with a lower excess than your Company. This is how you treat your loyal (your words) Customers.Hi Peter, we are disappointed to hear this and appreciate you sharing your thoughts. We will pass your feedback along to our team for consideration, thank you.

Excellent customer service

Fantastic staff- they couldn’t make it more easy for us to get a quote and go ahead with our purchase of insurance, highly recommend for any insurance purposes. Thank you

Increase in policy

Read your renewals carefully. I've been insured with this company for about ten years, no claims. Fine until this renewal. Premium increase of $100.00 per month. Rang to try to sort out, they would rather I cancel so I did. Don't recommend them now. They obviously noted that I have a lake at the end of my street so they increased accordingly. Lived here 30 years, never flooded.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hello, thanks for sharing your feedback. In most cases, an increase in premium is a result of changes to the underwriting of the policy. If you'd like further clarification regarding this please share your policy details with us and we will arrange for a Service Manager to contact you. You can send us a private message on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Real.Insurance.I'm sure that is exactly what happened. Why should I be the one to follow up? I already asked that question when I called you. I have to find other cover now so that's where my focus is, not on fixing something broken. Thank you.Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If we can be of any further assistance please let us know.

Peace of mind.

I Consider changing, had a look at other policy and Real Insurance suited my needs .Very easy to set up. I have been with Real Insurance for years there staff are always friendly and helpful.

53.8% increase.

Just got my policy renewal notice... 53.8% increase on last year. Rang up and they did not want to work with me. They'd rather lose a customer so I cancelled.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Wes, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear you have cancelled your policy with us. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.