Rentalcars.com

Rentalcars.com

1.3

Unethical scam website charging people with cancellation fees in Covid-19 pandemic times

Peter

PeterWestern District, VIC

Appalling customer service/inflexible during COVID 19 travel restrictions

Wilko

WilkoFar North Queensland, QLD

Worst car rental experience ever

Cancellation policy sucks

We had a booking in June for our trip and it is cancelled due to the pandemic. They wouldn't refund our deposit as apparently in "their" country borders aren't shut and there is no travel ban. They failed to tell me which source of information they use to access the travel situation. They just seem to be exploiting customers who are already pained due to canceled vacations. Was a waste of time talking to their customer care service :(

Wayne

WayneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Poor cancellation policy and chat service

We have a booking in June and with the closure of the borders in Australia due to COVID-19 we are unable to make the trip. We had made the required deposit, when I went to cancel the booking I have to pay a penalty refered to the policy which doesn't have anything about the governments shutting borders etc. When I started a chat to sort it out I got told that there is nothing they could do other than move the booking or pay the penalty. If it wasn't for the virus I would be taking the trip.

Jennifer Carter

Jennifer CarterGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Be careful how they charge your credit card and other charges they take

After a rental agreement amount was paid, I was charged a further $255 by Avis for other charges associated with this booking, which is totally incorrect. Still currently fighting these charges to my credit card. Second issue with Rentalcars.com as most with the coronavirus stopping all travel, they refused to refund our deposit paid on a booking.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Elantra

Rodrigo G.

Rodrigo G.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I will never rent a car with them again!

I will never rent a car with them again!!!
Very easy to pay for the Insurance, but impossible to claim for the cover.
I rented a car and contracted their Full Cover insurance, but when I needed them they said it is another company and they don't have any responsibility. It is frustrating, disappointing and stressful. I thought I was contracting the rental company's insurance, but it was not. So I have an accident and the rental company did not have any record of any insurance.
RentalCars told me to contact RentalCover and them they ask for many documents that shouldn't be needed as I contracted the insurance when I rented the car.
I don't believe them anymore.

Vehicle TypeHyundai Accent
Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle
sam t.

sam t.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible company

Terrible company to deal with. Firstly charged me for using Tolls even though I'd paid for them via my own account. Should have learnt my lesson then.
Secondly had to return a car early due to Covid 19 and Queensland Government shutting borders and they refused to refund or give credit for remaining days.

Keith A.

Keith A.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Avoid this company at all cost

We had to cut short our trip in Perth owing to the Coronavirus Covid-19. After spending over an hour with this company to claim a partial refund (a mere 2 days), they said it was not their policy to reimburse us for cutting short our car hire. Despite being a repeat customer of Rentalcars.com, I could not rate this company low enough. If I could provide a negative rating I certainly would. Please be warned go through the individual car hire companies direct, as this third party company is definitely NOT consumer orientated. Once they have your money they will not refund it even under reasonable circumstances.

Vehicle TypeHyundai i30

Ridiculous and dishonest

Paid and bought extra car insurance via phone after making a online booking for car hire in Romania. Lady on the phone seem nice enough to explain insurance details, full protection =100%cover. That was crap, had to pay extra euros 174 in Romania for another full insurance when collecting the car from klass wagen. Apparently protection doesn’t equals full cover! Just book through the bigger companies with save u a heartache overseas!

aussiealoha

aussiealoha

Shocking - avoid at all costs and book directly with euro rental company

Vehicle TypeNissan Maxima

Quick to charge, slow to refund

Yeah, alright, I have received a $96 refund out of the $212 rental cost that should never have been occurred thanks to the notorious coronavirus and SA's sudden announcement regardless of the fact most cases are brought by oversea travellers, dragging interstate travelling down the abyss. Guaranteed I will never use a website that charges an INTERNATIONAL transaction fee despite EVERYTHING happens in the commonwealth from the east coast to the south.

Booking Process

Please be careful, they will not help you

Cancelled a booking within 46 hours (vs 48 policy) given Covid19 changes to the status of Tasmania... “nothing we can do” ... not even a credit. Poor form for corporate giant!

Renata Fanti

Renata Fanti

100% refund easily and fully reimbursed - highly rate this company

Beginning of Feb 2020, I made a car reservation in Spain for 30 days between June/July (extremely cheap FYI). After reading all the policies on their website, i made the decision to pay for the full value given benefit of getting all the money back if cancel before 48 hours of the reservation. I just cancelled it yesterday via a few clicks online and less than a couple hours after, received an email proving the cancellation was made successfully and free of charge. Highly rate it!

Angry Oldie

Angry OldieSydney Surrounds, NSW

Copped a foreign transaction fee for cancellation

David W.

David W.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not happy

Great original price on the car for 4 days. The trouble came when I asked if I could return the car 7-8 hours later in the day. Obviously I expected to pay an extra days hire for this time as it took me past the extra 24 hours. What I didn't expect was the company to say that they would double the price of the whole four days for the ability to add an extra 7-8 hours on.

Vehicle TypeHolden Commodore
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Rentalcars.com - When an apparent cheap deal becomes expensive!

Andy

AndyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Beware poor rental cars.com service when something goes wrong

Vehicle TypeHolden Commodore
Firefly33

Firefly33Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wish I'd thought to check the reviews before booking.

Bård O.

Bård O.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cancelled by the leasor less than 24 hours before my pick up time.