Samsung Gear S2

Samsung Gear S2

Classic and Sport

Great Smart watch

Have had this watch for 2 years and not had any issues. It still works like it did on day 1. No issues with the band like other reviewers and I even wear it during volleyball games. Pretty good at tracking walks, runs, elliptical and general exercise. If the heart rate sensors and voice assistant were better/smarter it would get 5 stars. Notifications work well and I use smart lock to keep the phone unlocked while in the proximity of the watch which is handy. Maybe in a year or so I may upgrade, but this device is pretty reliable and other than potentially longer battery life I can't see I would get much more value out of a new one.

Purchased in February 2017 at Digital World International (DWI) for $229.00.

Convenient

So convenient and handy for recieving notifications when you dont have your phone on you or if your phone is on silent. Comfortable bands and dont look bulky or heavy on your wrist. Easy to use and setup. Easy charging. Heaps of apps you can add on it to go with your phone.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Didn't live up to IP rating

I've had this watch for just under 2 years and have had a few niggly problems such as the bands constantly breaking and having to reboot a few times but never really considered them a major issue. I normally always take it off when washing dishes and showering etc but yesterday I forgot and washed my kids hair with it still on. It didn't even get directly wet under the shower but afterwards it started flickering like mad then had a line of dead pixels in the centre. Now this morning the screen has gone off completely and won't come back on. It's out of warranty but from what I've read Samsung wouldn't honour it anyway. My advice would be if you think it may get wet buy an apple watch or a G-shock for those occasions and keep the gear for dry times only.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Don't get this if you have an iPhone

Samsung says that the Gear S2 (and newer Gear S3) works with the iPhone. Sure, it does; but there are some very serious compromises. Firstly, connection will regularly drop (randomly). Secondly, there are hardly any apps available to iPhone users in the Gear S app. And finally, many features which work if you have a Samsung phone do not work if the Gear S2 is paired with an iPhone, such as Samsung Pay and the S Health features. Overall, if you have an iPhone, it's hard to recommend this- get an Apple Watch instead.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Very good

I have had my gear for 1 year now and my oy issue has been the bands keep breaking. Have had 4 replacement bands in a year.
The features are good and complete all the health tracking quite accurately with a sufficient amount of information recorded, especially sleep recording. I cracked the screen but it still works. Durable little device if the bands were more hardy.

Good But Got Over It

I was all over this when I first got it, but recently dont really wear it. I guess the novelty has worn off to some extent. Part of it is having yet another tech item to charge. The S2 is a good device and it delivers as promised. I used the fitness tracker the most and I set it up for Google pay but only used it twice. Nice design, just too much tech these days!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Average battery life, but nicely handles notifications, fitness tracking and somewhat intuitive UI

The Gear S2 (Sport) might be an obsolete watch, but still keeps pace with most user's needs. The UI is fairly intuitive -- spin the bezel of the watch to switch between applications, swipes to access various settings of the app you're in and the two physical buttons on the side lets you either back out of an app or to quick-launch Samsung Pay or switch to a last-used application.

Spin the bezel to the left and you'll get dismissable notifications, from which you can also either take action (e.g if it's an email you can Delete / Archive, or if it's a SMS or message from a messenger-like application like Hangouts, you can even reply with canned messages or an emoji).

The watch also supports NFC, allowing you to use Samsung Pay if your bank supports it. Few banks in Australia do and I haven't tested the feature.

The fitness tracking is pretty accurate -- it comes with a built in GPS and heart rate sensor, both of which used in tandem for recording running or biking. The step counter however is simply based on motion sensor data and this usually results in a fairly inaccurate reading -- simply waving your wrist about counts as a step so you should take the information given with a big spoonful of salt.

Battery life -- lasts 2 and a half days at most with light usage, so you'll have to get used to charging the watch at least once every 2 days, and if you're traveling don't forget to pack the charging cradle with you.

Nice watch, bad battery

I bought two of these watches, one for myself and one for my partner.
I liked that they suit both male/female, they are minimilstic and the UI looks cool.

The problem.
Battery Life: You need to charge this thing at least every second day. I like keeping my watches on at all times. If it was once a week I would be fine with it but I can't stand having to charge it so often.
This is the big flaw with most smart watches of today. The technology is amazing but the battery technology can't keep up.

As far as smart watch goes, it's amazing, one of the best.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Nice watch, great features

Great watch, with wonderful features. Definitely handy to have, especially if you work somewhere quite busy and need to see your notifications at a glance. The only downside is the battery life, which lasts about a day or two. If that is an issue, I would probably recommend the Gear S3. Otherwise a great first step into the smartwatch world

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Loving it

I have this watch from 2 years and working awesome with my old s5.
Just having issue with new non Samsung phone.
Service centre is also superb and replace belt even just couple of days before 2 years warranty period.
Really happy with this watch and battary also last for at least 3 days.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Watch easily water damaged by usual everyday use

Loved the watch until it stopped working after18months. Samsung said it had liquid damage. It was well looked after, with only the occasional splash of water from hand or dishwashing, which was quickly dried off. It was never submerged in water. Samsung will not honour their 24 month warranty if they consider it liquid damaged. It's clear the seal on this watch must be inadequate. Consider how you will use it before purchasing, alternatively treat it like a dress watch.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Limited functionality

Compared to the standards on Android based wearables such as the Google voice recognition, the Gear S2 is significantly behind. Not functional for much, I often use it to receive and read notifications, send calls and quick replies to messages and texts as I am hooked up to my wireless headphones.

It is smaller and more stylish than many other smart watches out there, and great light weight too.

I'd stick to it if you happened to be with a Samsung phone, and its lasted me nearly a year now no worries. If you had another phone though, I'd consider a more functional other non Tizen based operating system watch.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Great smart watch! Looks like a normal watch!

Bought this watch because it looked more like a normal watch. The watch is great. Screen is clear and easy to read. Functions are fantastic, even when connected to my iPhone I am still able to access most of the functions of the watch. Battery life is better then expected, you get a good day and a half with normal use. Fitness tracker is accurate and measures heart rate regularly. Highly recommended!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Excellent watch.

I bought 2 of these for me and my wife. I also have a Gear S3 Classic which i interchange frequently according to how I dress overall. The good thing about Gear S2 is it's size and weight. It is small enough for a comfortable feeling wrist which is fantastic for someone like me with a small wrist. The battery life leaves something to be desired at time with only 2 days of usability with light use. I wish it had a loudspeaker though. Overall, the tracking and connectivity is brilliant.

Great watch - Functionality could better

Bought this at the Telstra store just under a year ago. Wanted it to go with the S8, and it was a bit smaller than the new S3 watch released.

The twist navigation works really well, and when it's on, it barely looks like a smartwatch. The Samsung pay facility is good too, no need to take out the wallet or phone to make payment. Changed the band to a metal one, easy to switch between this and the leather one.

Battery life isn't great, barely lasts a day, and the new charges for the S3 model are too big for this older model. Otherwise, works well regardless.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Nice watch - highly recommended

I bought the gear s2 as a birthday present and prove to be a worthy candidate, especially so when during driving so that one will not have to look at the phone. You can read your sms messages, whatsapp messages, monitor your sleep too. Looking at getting one for myself too.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Perfect Companion for Samsung Galaxy Note

I am wearing this watch while doing this review. In fact, I'm wearing it almost all the time, every day! The sports band is surprisingly comfortable, perfect watch size for my wrist, lightweight, good battery life, a huge range of Android Wear Apps, and continuous updates from Samsung. Charging is easy with the included magnetic cradle dock. It takes 2-3 hours for a full charge, last about 2 days on average. The text notification feature is very useful, I could read and reply text without taking out my phone. The watch display is great, readable under harsh sunlight. However, the continuous Bluetooth-pairing has drained my phone's battery quickly, and therefore a portable Powerbank is a must.

Perfect for my needs

As a gym beginner i was looking for a device to help me fulfil my fitness goals. The Samsung Gear S2 does this and more. The seamless integration with my Galaxy S7 created a very easy and complete experience for daily use. There are very few gripes with this device other than its disappointing battery life and hard to see display under bright conditions but many consumers will find it more than efficient.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

The watch you have to watch

The watch has a plethora of functions such as heart rate monitor, foot step tracker, alarm and many more functions. There are no limitations to this watch with using the free samsung app store to download new watch faces, apps or widgets the sky is the limit with this watch.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

great sports and fitness tracker

this watch does it all, sms alerts and ability to reply, monitoring fitness and activity, sleep and more. silent alarm is good, easy to set up and you can also set daily reminders, ply music to your bluetooth head phones while you exercise, it even counts your laps when you are swimming. great watch.

Date PurchasedNov 2017