Sharp R890

R890EST, R890EW, R890NS, etc...

Microwaves Buying Guide

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

MrsC

MrsCAU

Worst microwave I've ever owned

Purchased in December 2020 at The Good Guys Physical store for $440.00.

Unsafe

I have found the shelving of this model a little narrow causing them to collapse when they have been in use. The shelves have moved when removing hot items from the oven.

Purchased in May 2018 for $350.00.

SLK

SLKSydney, NSW

Convection Oven Not Heating to Specification

I bought a new SharpR890EST and used the convection oven 3times. With cooking times above 30 minutes, it failed to reach the 230c set temperature all 3times. Based on the temperature gauge, it only reached upto 180c. I now have a new convection oven that cannot reach its stated temperature. I'll be contacting Sharp for a resolution shortly.

Purchased in December 2020.

Owen

OwenSouth East Queensland, QLD

A capable microwave, but...

This unit does everything we need it to do, however we are surprised and disappointed that the bulb blew after just over a year of infrequent use. An online search for a replacement revealed a price of $44.00 plus postage! This could turn out to be a very expensive investment if this is a typical lifespan. Considering the expected longevity of LED bulbs, this is certainly 'not up to scratch'.

Purchased in June 2019 at Appliances Online for $364.00.

Snowyowl

Snowyowl

Far from perfect. Down right disappointing make sure the batteries in the scales are charged

Purchased in July 2020 at Betta Home Living for $359.00.

Avrille

AvrilleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst Microwave

If you in the market to buy a Microwave, do not buy this one. Had it a few months and the globe went. It was replaced and told they were putting in a different globe as other one faulty. I also complained about excessive moisture in Micro. Told that they all do this. No solution. The big problem is that I now have RUST inside (Stainless steel)?????

Bought Feb 2019.

Purchased in February 2019 at Harvey Norman .

stumpjumper

stumpjumperAU

Convection oven is more like a convection refrigerator

Purchased in January 2020 at Appliances Online for $380.00.

David B.

David B.Sydney, NSW

Convection oven temperate way off

Cooked a few dishes using the convection oven function and noticed they are way undercooked so I bought an oven thermometer which confirms the oven is way off. When set to 180 degrees the oven only reaches 100! When set to 230 it only reaches 175. An oven that doesnt even hit 180 is useless. Simillar reviews on Appliances Online re the low temp.

Purchased in April 2020 at Appliances Online for $349.00.

Jackie

JackieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good microwave but oven is average

Good for reheating and steaming quickly. Oven function is ok but food wasn’t as browned as normal oven roasting. Panel is easy to use and clean. Bought it on sale with minor scratches for $200 so value was reasonable.

Purchased in November 2019 at Home Clearance for $200.00.

Beau K.

Beau K.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

12 month manufacturer warranty, lasted 12 months & 2 weeks..

Was purchased to last, lasted 12 months and 2 weeks, just beyond the 12 month warranty. The non replaceable LED light started flashing and now the unit sounds like it's going to catch fire.

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances for $300.00.

Sharp A.Sharp

Hi Beau, we are concerned to hear of your experience with this product. We would encourage you to reach out to us at ccare@sharp.net.au, referencing your review to discuss this further with our Customer Care team.

AdrianMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Fantastic Microwave Convention Oven

This Sharp Microwave Convention inververter Oven is Great it heats food quick and when using the Convention oven heats up to temperature really quickly.I have cooked Cakes, Pizzas,Apple pies, Lasagnas pretty munch anything and perfect every time.Also love the grilling option and Convention combine cooking great for pizza ect. I would recommend this microwave Convention oven it is fantastic great product . Also the touch pad and controls is so easy to use very self explanatory

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for $339.00.

Sharp A.Sharp

Hi Adrian, thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience your feedback has been logged.

PeteE

PeteESydney

Working well

We have had this microwave for 4 years now and hasn’t missed a beat. Liked to have a convection microwave, particularly for pork crackle. Didn’t initially like it as much as my previous Sharp of nearly 20 years but it has proven reliable and no trouble, so happy with it.

Purchased in April 2015.

Sharp A.Sharp

Hi Pete, thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience your feedback has been logged. Have a good day.

Aldrich

AldrichWILCHERRY

Please don't hesitate. This microwave oven is worth it!

We tried Woolworth’s frozen 125g Apple Pies at 175° for 30-minute cooking time. This time we just added five minutes for pre-heat and the pies were perfect.
I'm very happy with the control software for this microwave oven, and more than that, it's very uniform when you heat food, just like the delicious food you've just made.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Sharp A.Sharp

Hi Aldrich, Thank you for providing feedback. It is great that you enjoy using the microwave. Have a good day.

Daddy

Daddy

Sharp still as Sharp as ever

Our convection microwave of 25 years finally packed it in, so we had to go out a new microwave, we always have liked convection because of the two different ways of heating, this Sharp microwave hasn’t missed a beat so far, sure we don’t expect to get 25 years out of our new microwave, but it does everything we want and couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedJan 2016
TayTay

TayTayNorth Queensland, QLD

Works so well!

Amazing microwave, heats food quickly and is very easy to use. This is my partner and my first microwave and I don't think we will stray away from this brand in the future. Looks very nice as well and matches our other kitchen appliances so bonus ha ha ha ha

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Karen H

Karen HBrisbane

Very shabby Customer Care.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

jennywooGippsland, VIC

worst oven ever does not deserve 1 star

purchased this oven after my very old much loved sharp carousel convection died. Noticed the door had a broken catch when it was unpacked, oven was replaced by the retailer. I don't know how they can call this oven a convection oven. It is no good for baking scones cakes pies etc.
It has turned out to be a very expensive microwave/pie warmer as that is all that it's good for.I will never buy a sharp oven again.If this oven breaks down I will not even bother to get it fixed.I would rather buy a convection microwave from Aldi for under $200

expensive piece of junk

renw
renw

Have had mine for 2 years and it is a great microwave and have had no problems with it.

jennywoo

I agree it was a good microwave but not a good convection. The door has broken, just out of warranty I won't bother to have it fixed.

lillitae
lillitae

Yes I am very disappointed with my sharp microwave convection oven which was expensive and will not ever

Terrible

Poor product that is expensive, Sharp's repair/customer service is very poor and slow. I would never buy a Sharp product again.
Convection oven and grill works well, but unfortunately the door broke after 2 months and Sharp repair service have been very slow to do anything about it.
Expensive Microwave, door broke after 2 months. Sharp customer service was not helpful at all. Still waiting for it to be fixed after 3 weeks.

BATS666

BATS666Peel, WA

Terrible

I wish I'd read reviews of this before buying.
I can only re-iterate what other reviewers have said both here an on other sites.
1. The turntable motor has now busted for the 4th time in 3 months...1 month after the warranty ran out!
2. The outer cabinet gets ridiculously hot. The turntable gets hot on microwave, so heats up the crockery. The whole point of a microwave is that this doesn't happen !!!

I had a Sharp convection microwave for 15 years before it packed up. Never a problem. Never got hot.

I now regard this as junk and would like my money back !!

broken turntable motor (3), very hot outer cabinet

xraywolf
xraywolf

Flimsy plastic door catch broke - poor design

One of the plastic door lugs/catches broke (my fault, i caught it on my arm).
Closed the door and now can't open it and power won't come on.
Off to repair no doubt at high cost.
Very poor design.
Overall good unit except....
....poorly designed/weak door catch, just waiting to be broke - would not recommend on this basis. But check any microwave you buy for similar "feature".

Bry56