Sharp R990KS / R990KW

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

ElizabethFRANKSTON

Sharp Microwave Convection Sensor oven

Bought this in 2001 from the Good Guys on Dandenong Road Dandenong. Best buy ever ,I have never had a service, it runs like a dream. So easy to use, has sensor settings for Pies, Rice, Pasta, Fresh Veggies and Frozen Vegies. I hope Sharp never discontinue this Model because its the best model they ever put on the market. It was worth the money I paid $1000.00, and will get another when it wears out. I am impressed greatly

Sharp A.Sharp

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for the wonderful feedback. It is always great to get feedback from customers.

Bella

Bella

My lifesaver an excellent microwave/convection oven.

This is my second oven from sharp, my first I can’t reme the model number as I had it for 19 years and my daughter still uses it. I can’t remember when I got the one I mentioned here, but I had this now for close to 10 years and it never missed a beat, cooks evenly it doesn’t matter if use microwave only or convection or combined. I bake, i roast I cook steam whichever and it’s been a great oven to use. It’s all I ever use and a bonus it’s easy to clean. I can recommend sharp microwaves/convection ovens. I just seen it’s discontinued which is a shame.

Date PurchasedMar 2004

Jennifer KWynyard

Great

Purchased this last year, best microwave/oven ever. I own a Smeg 900mm oven and sometimes it’s too big to cook a cake or biscuits and such but the Sharp is spot on. Would recommend this or similar... make baking easier and less heat than the big oven. Even made a Pavlova in it fantastic....You can still purchase these ovens on eBay and such.... if you have a chance to purchase this item please do.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Great start ..Dangerous finish

Owned a Sharp convection microwave for 20 years. loved it. R990KW was excellent for 14 months but last week the turntable came off of its tracks during a 2 minute microwave and put a hole in the back panel. Noticed as sparks were flying. Dangerous so 5 to 1 star.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Jenny
Jenny

Great help in the kitchen

My convectional oven heats to the temperture I set it, once it tells me to add food the temperture drops and it will not cook. I have only had this microwave for two years and I spent $1.000.00 . I was told buy a sharp service care that it cannot be fixed , is this true, they told me I need to buy a new one .

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Excellent device

We used this microwave oven while renting as most rental ovens are complete rubbish. The Sharp microwave/oven served us very well for over 7 years. We got excellent value out of it and the only trouble we ever had was the waveguide needed replacing and this was our own fault due to not cleaning it well enough. My parents previously owned an older model and it served them well for over 10 years. I would definitely buy another if we ever needed one.

Date PurchasedSept 2008
Mystique

MystiqueQueensland, 4107

So Disappointed.

Purchased the R990K(w) around 12 months ago. For no apparent reason, all of a sudden the small plastic Motor Coupler ceased working. Upon inspection, it was found to have a piece broken off it and thus the turntable would no longer rotate. Being on a disability pension, I saved most of the best part of a year to purchase this item, as my oven at home was too difficult for me to access safely. For the price I paid for this item .. I really did expect some quality for my money.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Ken TForster

This is terrible product so dissapointed

been in workshop twice .
1st time it was only 6weeks old door never closed properly oven never heats up properly and when it did the door wouldnt close at all until oven cooled service people never seem to fix it.
It is problem after problem had new part then fuses blow. I am very upset about Sharp just says take to service or never rings back.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Ken T

No resolution yet had initial customer care email and I took it to the to Forster service agent for 3rd time it is still there for approx 2 weeks hard when it is my only oven. I do not think Sharp cares enough about customer service.

Rod

RodBrisbane

!8mths old and stopped turning.....

Well I tried ringing Sharp but alas no, you get an option to a service agent. Umpteen button presses later line goes silent...really!
I have the R990KW and the turntable has stopped rotating. I have read a lot of articles here and do not hold out much hope of a resolution. I expect better for the price! very very very disappointed.

Date PurchasedJune 2015

A must in my kitchen!

I'm devastated to see that this model has been discontinued. I've had 3 units over a period of 20 years and my current machine is at the very least needing repair and quite probably replacing. What do I do now? What model should I be considering next, I love the large size.

Date PurchasedJune 2011
Emma
Emma

Thanks - appreciate it. I was hoping to see if my current machine could be repaired first. I'm struggling to find a repair device in Melbourne to look at it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

moggy

moggyPerth, WA

Excellent appliance

Thoroughly reliable now for nearly 4 years.
The combination of microwave and convection covers all bases and we would be lost without it.
Didn't give a 5 star due to annoying beep warning at the end of cooking.

(It replaced the equivalent model 13 years old - Convection had failed and the waveguide mica cover caught fire due to oil buildup over many years despite cleaning.
I replaced a thermistor and mica cover < $10- it still runs great even after another 4 years in a rental house.)

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Ongoing Fault Within This Model

dragonladyDarwin

Really, really disappointed

Not worth the money

My first Sharp microwave lasted 20 years. This one lasted just on 5 years. I bought it for $670. Had 1 repair after 3 years ($300) and now they cannot get the parts for it. Microwave was good to start with. Then it started taking longer to heat food up. I will not be buying another Sharp microwave and I would not recommend this product.

EloiseMmelbourne

Don't waste your money

Carousel rotation interminently

We have owned several Sharp convection microwaves over the years and have been delighted with them. Our previous unit, after about 6 years, had an issue with the carousel not rotating & 'clicking'. My investigation found that it was the carousel motor that was worn, which I found easy to replace once we found a part in Melbourne. It now works perfectly. Unfortunately better that the new one, which after owning it for only 13 mths (therefore out of warranty) the same issue has occurred. As I live in Tasmania, and there seems to be no service agents close by to where we live, how/where can I get another carousel motor?

Brian
Brian
Eve

EveDarwin

Not very old but seems to take forever to roast.

I'm getting increasingly unhappy with newer models of anything coming out lately. My convection microwave takes for ever to roast anything. My previous convections were brilliant. This one does not cut the mustard. I will be taking it back to Harvey Norman. It just is no where near as good as old one. Cakes cook uneven

CainsyPerth

My 'new' Sharp is a disappointment

Cainsy

Well, Sharp have been pretty good on this issue and after inspection and proof of proper use have sanctioned repairs/replacement of parts. I'm just waiting for the repairs to be carried out.

Doesn't spin after 21 month

When we bought this microwave oven, we are happy with its design/look, but now, I give bad rate for this product (Made in Thailand D777), After 14 month using, we can't set clock, and after 21 months using, the microwave oven doesn't turn. we do not know what to do, I mean the new microwave oven is so cheap now.

AndyOMelbourne

18 Months old - thermostat gone.....

Used this a lot and loved the size and convenience. Cost almost $900 and now after 21 months, the convection oven is failing to get up to temperature. Presume the thermostat has gone which seems to be a common theme with this microwave. Customer service didn't help much, just advised me to take it into one of their service centres where no doubt I'll pay several hundred more dollars getting it repaired...

Thanks, I'll wait to hear

Valerie K.

Valerie K.asked

R990KS / R990KW

The convection has stopped working on my Sharp R990KS, where can I get service, I am in Kyneton, victoria

Elizabeth

I have never had my 20 year old Sharp Microwave serviced, or has it stopped working. My first query would be to Sharp Service Centre and then Peninsula Appliance Parts 03 8790 8633 and email penapp1@bigpond.com He may also recommend a tradie in your area for the service. I hope this is of some help to you.

neil streete

neil streeteasked

R990KS / R990KW

what replaces the R990K-S oven.

Violetta K.asked

R990KS / R990KW

My Sharp R-900KW in white is the best buy ever, and I love this model so much, but after years of working the temperature is not working properly. I am thinking of replacing existing one to this same model but I can't find any.The new models don't appear to me as they have bad reviews,are difficult to operate and white isn't available. Can you tell me if I can buy this model, and where or if it can be repaired.

Jennifer K

Hi, I live in Tasmania and I have a repairman in Smithton that does mine. They can be repaired but are quite costly. I haven’t seen the updated version so I can’t tell you anything about them. I hope I’ve helped you a little, have a nice day

Elizabeth

My Sharp Microwave is still going perfectly, all i do is keep it clean at all times. I don't have a repair man because i have never had it serviced in the 19 years i have had it, i have never had a problem, but if and when i need a new one i will be looking for the same brand and similar model or exact model if Sharp still make it, its a fabulous model. Contact Sharp for help with a similar model I'm sure they will assist.

Violetta K.

I did contact Sharp, and I recieved the answer that this model is not on the market and it is impossible to bay. May kitchen appliances are spotless and clean after each use. I found a man who is going to repair my appliance, so fingers crossed.

See all Sharp R990KS / R990KW questions

Get an answer from our members and Sharp representatives

Sharp R990KS / R990KW