3Smeg ECF01RDAU (Red)

3.7

Des H.
Des H.

Consistently great coffee

I've read reviews about how badly this works. I've also had bad results, but I've addressed them. When properly used, this machine delivers excellent espresso coffee. In my experience better than most cafes. Why? Simple. While trying to make 1000 coffees for the rush, cafe machines overheat their parts, get sloppy with the milk temperature and burn the coffee. I've not once burnt my coffee with this machine. Get quality beans roasted to your taste, grind them to the right granularity, press them the right amount and with consistent pressure, and you will get superior espresso from this machine. Do it not, and you'll give it 1 star as the 'coffe' s crap'. Show details
Navroop
Navroop6 posts
  ECF01RDAU

The customer care was amazing

The customer care was amazing & sorted the initial issue.
The machine works well with a few initial hiccups. Not a big fan of the frother but it does the job. Thanks Show details
NJ G
NJ G5 posts

Only lasts 6 months

Machine was good for 6 months. then the machine started to taste metallic. I have decalcified it (twice), changed the beans, cleaned the machine (heating head, etc) and tried everything else. No luck. Coffee thats coming out of it still tastes metallic. Its just a nice red display on my kitchen counter.  Show details
Ang
AngGreat Southern, WA19 posts
ROKU
ROKUWestern Australia19 posts
  ECF01RDAU

Same as others out there !

Nothing special with this unit and like many others after a time the coffee starts to taste plain and even after regular cleaned, that you MUST do every few weeks, the taste just drops off. Coffee not hot enough either. Show details
Jamie
Jamie5 posts
Banksie44
Banksie4414 posts
  ECF01RDAU

This machine suits me perfectly, it is neat & compact, gorgeous retro styling but most of all makes

Very satisfied with the quality of coffee which is consistent, also temperature is exactly how it should be & milk frothing easy with great silky texture. Also love the retro design, very neat, doesn't take up too much bench space & very easy to clean. Overall a great little machine that is compact & reliable to produce delicious coffee.

Melissa
MelissaSouthwest, VIC9 posts

Love it!!

Love this. Purchased the smeg after my sunbeam got a bit long in the tooth. I love the fact it can be programmed. It’s a bit difficult at first to program but once you get the hang of it it’s great.

My only gripe with this machine is the milk frothed is a bit short. Other than that it’s great. Oh and the freebie pack by redemption was a nice surprise

Steve
SteveBrisbane3 posts

Beautiful coffee

Love this machine. It is stylish, very well made and easy to clean. Makes beautiful rich, full-bodied, italian style coffee - even from pre-ground coffee and ESE pods (illy). Will probably tamp coffee on weekends and just use the ESE pods on weekdays, it’s great to have that option. No more burnt bitter tasting coffee from popular pods just because it’s convenient. This machine ticks all the boxes. Many thanks!

Show details ·  1

v_williams
v_williamsSydney, NSW15 posts
alex ross
alex rossBulimba4 posts
  ECF01RDAU

Just a solid espresso maker with style

Great Crema and solid function

The quality of the coffee is determined by the type, quality, freshness of the beans- this machine performs perfectly and is a great tool to make a great tasting coffee commensurate with the quality of your beans. This machine used pressurised portafilter using E.S.E espresso pads or ground coffee and provides a far greater functionality to that of a capsule machine - the fact that it takes up so little space on my bench top and looks retro great ....is just a bonus

FuzzyWuzzy
FuzzyWuzzyCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC6 posts

Great Coffee

It is easy to use and clean. The grouphead will take 13grams of ground coffee so still working on perfecting the grind as our last one took more.

There is a few options with this machine which we both like, we can set the level of coffee to suit to our taste (more or less water) and set the resulting water temperature.

My husband loves the frothing nozzle for his cappuccino.

I would recommend this machine for the options, warranty and the price.

CoffeeGoddess
CoffeeGoddessShoalhaven6 posts
  ECF01RDAU

Great machine for home use

Makes a great coffee with a good crema on top in less than 1 minute. I make about 10-20 coffees each day. The "removable" drip tray is designed to make it easy to fit tall coffee mugs, if required. The milk frothing nozzle is simple and effective to use and even easier to clean. I love this machine and so do my neighbours who drop in for a great cup of coffee or two, EVERY day. Highly recommend for home use.

Rob
RobGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC7 posts

apengelly
apengelly · ECF01RDAU (Red)

I have enjoyed my fire-engine red espresso machine for 3+ years, my only problem is a few times I let the water tank run out, and the machine stops working. I have found that after a week or so it somehow fixes itself. However this time round it has been over 2 weeks, and I fear that my machine is dead. Any suggestions?

Jeanne L.
Jeanne L. · ECF01RDAU (Red)

All three lights are flashing at the same time (not in sequence). Holding down the steam button for 10 seconds does not access the reset menu.
Is my machine broken?
Please help.

Sharon M
Sharon M · ECF01RDAU (Red)

Hi. Yesterday I followed the procedure descale my machine, but light kept flashing. Repeated descaling today, still flashing. Help please.

di
di

My lights been flashing for years. Are you talking about the steam light? If so I just ignore it.

Sharon M

Yes Di - instructions said flashing light = descaling time, but the damn thing keeps flashing!!

Smeg   DM

Hi Sharon M, After you have completed the rinse portion of the descale cycle, press and hold the steam button until the remaining water is purged from the system. The orange light should then switch off.
Regards

See all Smeg ECF01RDAU (Red) questions

Compare all Smeg ECF01 listings
CategorySemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee MachinesSemi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines
Price (RRP) $549$549$549$549
Pump Pressure15 bar15 bar15 bar15 bar
Input Power1,350 W1,350 W1,350 W1,350 W
Dishwasher Safe PartsNoNoNoNo
Water Tank Capacity1 L1 L1 L1 L
Dimensions 303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm
Weight4.7 kg4.7 kg4.7 kg4.7 kg
Milk FrotherSteam WandSteam WandSteam WandSteam Wand
Bean GrinderNoneNoneNoneNone
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Colour / FinishRedCreamBlackPale Blue