DeLonghi Dedica

Good value machine

Great little machine for what you pay for. Not perfect, it has a few little idiosyncrasies that take a bit getting used to, but all coffee machines are like that. Easy to clean, but keep on top of it. We live in Perth and the water has more minerals etc so needs to be cleaned more regularly. Overall good value

Purchased in November 2018 for $300.00.

GrinderKenwood CG600
Thank you for your review Davo!

Quick shots from a small footprint

I can’t find the receipt but I’m pretty sure I have had my Delonghi Dedica EC 680 manual coffee machine for three years. Its small footprint was important in selecting it to replace my old unit as worktop space, if not at a premium, is not infinite in my kitchen. Three finishes were on offer – red, black and stainless which I chose. It has proven easy to keep clean.

It’s small but can it make a decent espresso? I have pulled at least ten shots a day, for family and friends, every day for three years, and I have had consistently good results with beans I grind myself or pre-ground kilo bricks. I am happy with the crema delivered by the Dedica.

The machine is programmable in terms of coffee temperature, coffee volume, water hardness and stand-by time. Programming is straightforward using the three buttons above the group head. These same buttons convey operational status and indicate when to descale.

The filter holder has three filters - one shot, two shot and ESE. The filters are pressurised which promotes consistent extraction but may not suit the more expert domestic coffee maker. The frothing wand is of the panarello type which assists in the creation of froth but again, may not suit the more expert domestic coffee maker. The machine has a 1 litre water tank which I typically fill once a day. The water heater is of the thermobloc type which is very quick to reach operating temperature and recover.

Recently, I have started experimenting with various brands of ESE pod with the idea in mind that visitors can easily make a coffee themselves even though they are unfamiliar with this type of machine. To extend this idea, I have bought a Lavazza milk frother so that the ease of use of a capsule machine is approximated.

If you want to use a taller glass or mug, you will have to remove the drip tray to get more clearance. Delonghi has released the Dedica Deluxe 685 which is slightly smaller and lighter with some differences/enhancements including a second smaller drip tray under the main drip tray to address the clearance issue. The Deluxe’s frothing wand also features a sliding collar to select frothing or heating. At the time of writing both models appear to be available, the Deluxe at a modest premium.

I have descaled the Dedica regularly as indicated by the steam button light changing from white to orange. I have replaced the group head gasket twice and replaced the two shot filter once. These spares are easily available on eBay and elsewhere.

All in all, this is an easy-to-use, well-priced, solid, competent coffee machine for the rest of us.

Purchased in March 2016.

GrinderHario Skerton

A basic coffee machine

Bought a Delonghi Dedica EC 685 model about a year ago and found it easy to use and makes good consistent expresso coffee. Functions are basic and the temperature has only one setting but generally found the machine value for money.

Purchased in January 2018.

GrinderDelonghi Dedica KG 521.M

Amateur barista's dream machine

To make a perfect cup of coffee you need: freshly roasted beans, freshly ground coffee and a means of extracting the most flavour from the grounds. I've tried just about every method: saucepan, filter, plunger, percolator, pods... None of them match the perfection of the mighty steam-driven espresso method, but until recently, it's only been available in coffee temples via a barista. At last, DeLonghi has made true espresso available in your kitchen at a reasonable price. My machine cost $299 from The Good Guys. There are more expensive models, but I'm not sure they're worth it.
It takes some practice and more fuss and cleaning up than a pod machine, but the results are worth it. The cleverly designed steam outlet triples your milk volume with the finest of micro-bubbles. Latte art is possible, but requires more skill and patience than I'm willing to invest.
My only criticism is the cheap plastic tamper that comes in the box. I bought a professional steel tamper on eBay to ensure prefect crema ($16). You will also need a knock box ($35) and a 350ml milk frothing jug ($12)
And one caveat: don't use pre-ground coffee — for best results, match the Dedica with a good conical burr grinder. We have a Sunbeam ($99)

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for $299.00.

GrinderSunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr EM0480

Excellent Home UNit

Only owned a few weeks but wich Id bought years ago, previously using nespresso pod mahcine - this is much better. Takes a little while to heat up but once it does it is awesome. Great pressure from steam wand.

Purchased in May 2019 at Myer.

GrinderDeLonghi KG39

This is the best coffee machine I have owned

Makes a perfect cup of coffee everytime. I love the fact that is tells me when it needs de-scaling and that I can alter the size of the pour according to what cup I am using, so I don't have to constantly watch it

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $300.00.

Absolute rubbish product

It's a rubbish product. It made about 8 cups of coffee and then refused to make another one. Coffee loaded and nothing came out into the cup so I scooped all the coffee out and put it into my 3 year old $69 Aldi machine and it all worked fine. When it worked the quality was no better than what the Aldi machine made and a far cry from what you get in a coffee shop. It's going back for a refund.

Purchased in May 2019 for $288.00.

Product is used: Daily

Gets the pecker peckering in the morning

Was lucky enough to get this on a rewards card so I didn't have to pay. Buying the glass eye and false teeth helped a lot.
It makes a terrific steaming cuppa every time, so hot in fact when my new glass eye fell into the cup when I sneezed, it melted the paint off it.
The frother works like a beauty too. I can throw the new false teeth in a bit of water and they come out gleaming. All the better for a wonderful tasting morning cup of cha to start my day.

Purchased in September 2017 at Rewards card.

good when it worked

This machine was quite good when new. coffee was ok though It would stuggled to make a stong double shot with enough volume . It seems to need descaling a lot. In under 12 mnths the water failed to pass through the filter and basket, even with no coffee in it. The pump has gone again it seems, just like the last identical model we had (this is a replacement from the store). I have owned better machines in the past but to be fair they were more expensive. I will buy another brand

Purchased in July 2018 for $199.00.

GrinderSunbeam Conical Burr Grinder EM0450

JUNK!

After owning other coffee machines ,and could always get a decent cup of coffee I decided to buy a delonghi dedica. I have only used it 4 times and have thrown it in the cupboard in total frustration.The coffee (a double shot)comes out weak and not very hot, I always have to put the coffee in the microwave,I think this machine is absolute rubbish.

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hifi Home for $299.00.

Product is used: Rarely

Great espresso machine

Easy to use espresso machine with double and single shot attachments. Produces a good quality coffee. And milk frother works well though needs cleaning after each use. Overall easy to clean and descale.

Purchased in December 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

So worth it!

Recently bought this coffee machine instead of a capsule one. The coffee it makes is absolutely fantastic, I mean to the level of Melbourne coffee shop. Very easy to use. First I was afraid that too many parts will require cleaning and they do (6 including milk jug) but 5 can simply be rinsed so it literally takes few seconds. As this is not a new model I got it practically at half the original RRP. Very happy with the purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great Machine

Bought this as a gift for my husband about a year and a bit ago and he really loves it . The red colour looks great in the kitchen and the machine makes great coffee . It has a milk frother attached and is just an all round great little machine ! Highly recommend it for any coffee lover !

Date PurchasedJan 2018

This is a beautiful machine

I enjoy the coffee made from this machine. It probably doesn’t get quite as hot as a fully equipped coffee machine and the pressure heads definitely weaken the coffee a bit, but it still makes a beautiful shot and is very easy to use. Would recommend for something on the lower end scale price but wanting to drink less coffee out.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great Little Performer

Produces a very good short black with plenty of crema. Simple to use. Good quality unit for the price. The steamer could do with being a little more powerful, but I really can’t complain with the unit as I didn’t spend $700-800 for something that I would rate similar. Great machine Delonghi!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

You better be a true barista to operate this machine

I bought this on amazon. Hate this machine, as I wasted more espresso when the water would not brew and drip and got stuck frequently. Would not matter if I packed the espresso lose or tight had many issues. Also the milk froth leaked water in my milk and watered it down. Waste of money and difficult to operate!!! I’m apparently not a barista or this is defective machine.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

It was a good machine, till it wasn't

In six months this machine has played silly buggers six times, did a full descale each time, unscrewed the filters etc, even soaked them in napisan overnight, water still wont pump through the basket. We use filtered rainwater. I'm ready to get a refund on this and never go near DeLonghi again... With so much trouble with the Scultura, now this, I'm a bit disappointed. And of course your machine only craps itself when you are craving your morning cup o' Joe...

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great for small spaces

It's my first coffee machine. I had no issue whatsoever with it after using it for 6 months. It's the best machine to learn the art of home brewing coffee. I experiment with temperature and filter by using pressurised and non-pressurised.

I found the quality is very consistent once you know the amount and tamping pressure.

The only improvement I would suggest is increasing the height of the portafilter docking to allow travel mugs to fit in.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Lovely and creamy

I love the coffee this machine can produce. Nice and strong and a very easy machine to use however... it seems to need a descale a lot. We live on rainwater so it shouldn't need it but I run it through without the actual fluid just water and the light goes out till next time.. so it seems to be on a timer for descaling not actually needing it. The base is too high for me but can be removed although you need a smaller base cup to fit as a larger mug I have to sit on an angle. It also seems to not be able to pump the water through if you tamp too hard. My old machine I could tamp as hard as I wanted but this seems quite picky and just that bit too tamped and I have to wait for the pressure to subside and start over. Very nice coffee when I get it all right though and a nice narrow size machine. Needs to be held down when you tighten the handle in or the whole machine moves.

Purchased in March 2018 at Amazon for $135.96.

Product is used: Daily

Great entry level coffee machine for home coffees.

Quite a good machine, certainly worth the value for money and price. It pays to spend time practising with this machine and running it in. Also the quality of your grind is essential between a bad and good coffee. Once i shifted to a good grinder, i can now make perfect single or double shot espressos. The steamer does the job, but isn't exceptional.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Hi there, A little water is leaking around the sides of the filter holder while brewing a coffee. What is the likely cause of this? I’ve cleaned the boiler outlet fully and have taken the small screw out and cleaned the diffuser. There was heaps of yuk coffee all stuck inside where the holder sits in place? But it is now completely cleaned and while there’s and improvement there’s still a few drips. Will a descale fix this issue? Or is there a more serious issue? Thanks in advance! AT
Hi Lana, if cleaning did not prove a fix, it may be time to replace the group head gasket. DeLonghi customer support on 1800 126 659 may be able to help or you can search on eBay. A new gasket is only a few dollars and there are 'how to fit' videos on YouTube. It's a straightforward job.Hi Lana, It sounds as though you may have a small blockage in the filter holder. If you're confident this has been cleaned please call us on 1800 126 659 so we're able to troubleshoot with you to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Best, De'Longhi Australia

Intermittent problem: when I switch from espresso to steam (wait for the light to stop flashing), the pump doesn't function, I get a squirt and a hiss and the steam pressure dies. I can get it going again by turning off and on a few times, but I shouldn't have to. Should I take it back?
Ian, I would be inclined to ring DeLonghi customer support on 1800 126 659.Hi Ian, Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Dedica. As mentioned by Tenterden, if you could please call the team on 1800 126 659 we would be happy to troubleshoot with you so we can resolve this ASAP. Kind Regards, De'Longhi AustraliaI think I've worked out the problem. The steam switch appears to have three "positions" and sometimes I think have just flicked it to Position 2, which lets out the steam but doesn't start the pump. So long as I push it all the way, there doesn't seem to be a problem. I'll keep monitoring it and if this is not the case, I'll definitely call you. In the mean time, my machine makes a wicked double-shot macchiato!

What coffee grind do people find best? I have tried different grinds with my machine and they all come out watery in the finish after filling a mug 1/3 for a latte..
It needs to be a pretty fine grind for an espresso machine. Much much finer than what you would use for a plunger. I grind my own coffee beans.Thanks Peter, I have a cheap grinder (half the problem) but I will give the finest setting a try.

DeLonghi Dedica EC685M (Silver)DeLonghi Dedica EC685R (Red)DeLonghi Dedica EC685BK (Black)DeLonghi Dedica EC685W (White)DeLonghi Dedica EC680M (Silver)DeLonghi Dedica EC680R (Red)DeLonghi Dedica EC680BK (Black)
CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines
Price (RRP) $349.00$349.00$349.00$349.00
Pump Pressure15 bar15 bar15 bar15 bar
Input Power1,300 W1,300 W1,300 W1,300 W
Dishwasher Safe PartsNoNoNoNo
Water Tank Capacity1.1 L1.1 L1.1 L1.1 L
Colour / Finish Stainless SteelRedBlackWhite
Dimensions 303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm303 x 149 x 330 mm
Weight4.2 kg4.2 kg4.2 kg4.2 kg
Milk FrotherSteam WandSteam WandSteam WandSteam Wand
Bean GrinderNoneNoneNoneNone
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Replaced byDeLonghi Dedica EC685M (Silver)DeLonghi Dedica EC685R (Red)DeLonghi Dedica EC685BK (Black)

Download manual