The Little Guy Home Barista Kit

See the Best Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Restored after sales service

Best coffee that I've made from any device and Doug in after sales was great after I damage the seals by allowing LG to sit on gas for far too long

Purchased in April 2017 at Myer Online Store.

GrinderThermomix

Just the best!

We've had our Little Guy for over 1.5 years now and we can't live without it! The coffee extraction is rich - I liken it to liquid gold - and the crema it produces is luscious, foamy and creamy. It is not a machine that produces a quick coffee; instead, it is a machine that produces a beautifully extracted coffee that is top quality and delicious! A couple of key players in ensuring you get a great brew. Firstly, get the grind right.
This is super important in terms of both taste and steam pressure and secondly, when purchasing, take the time to watch the recommended video instructions and follow the tutorials step by step! In doing so, you will quickly learn the art of using the machine and you will not be disappointed with the result. As well as the great coffee it produces, it looks fabulous, it's beautifully made and the after-care service is absolutely fantastic! We love our little guy. It's a real gem and well worth the investment!

Purchased in November 2017 for $699.00.

What a Guy!

Making coffee with the Little Guy is a positive experience every time. For those who enjoy the process as much as the outcome, this product will leave you feeling like the world is a great place to live in, every morning. That's not to mention the aesthetics!
It takes a few goes to learn how to make great coffee, but that's part of the process of falling in love.
I did had an issue with a seal which broke a few months in. I got in touch, and was very pleased with the customer service and tips. I highly recommend this product!

Purchased in January 2019 at David Jones for $750.00.

GrinderDelonghi Dedica KG 521.M

Coffee to Perfection

The Little Guy, formerly known as Otto, in combination with the purpose built induction pad has been a wonderful inclusion in daily life for over six years now. The upgraded tamper improved daily processes.

Changing coffee grinds and brands can cause the need to change the basket from time to time. Also water taste can impact coffee which we’ve found when travelling with Otto but a change to bottled water has remedied the issue. Yes, Otto does have its own suitcase (like the one featured in the video) and the induction pad has a dedicated back pack. Then in travel mode you just need to source of preferred milk and all is good. We prefer to use a coffee grind sourced from Melbourne at home and travelling and if away for extended periods arrange to have ground coffee send to Post Offices along the way. Keeps us happy and Otto and his side kick (induction pad) content

Contact with Craig, through their website, has been both expedient and most helpful. A washer here or there has been our only need.

Thank you Craig and Team for a wonderful coffee experience through your coffee machine and heating package. Highly recommended to anyone who really enjoys a great coffee anywhere.

Purchased in August 2013 at Essential Ingredient.

Love The Little Guy

We have had our Little Guy for many years and absolutely love it. We love the design, it is simple & elegant & looks great in our kitchen, but most importantly, it makes excellent coffee. It takes a little bit of practice to work out how to get the perfect coffee, (we have found this mostly relates to getting the coffee grind right) but once mastered it makes a delightful morning ritual, and we rarely buy coffee out anymore. It also makes a great babycino!
The maintenance is super easy, there is not much that can go wrong with it, but if you do have a problem, the people who make it are incredibly helpful (I recently had to replace an O Ring - the only issue we have had with it - and they explained how to do it over the phone, it took a few minutes).
Really love this machine, it is made to last, and makes great coffee.

Purchased in February 2014 at Myer for $499.00.

Product is used: Daily

I don’t want to live without my Otto

I’ve had my Otto since 2011, and it took some familiarisation to get the best out of it. Now, I can’t live without it. I love the SLOW ritual of the process of making a coffee. The machine is solidly made, beautiful in your kitchen and can give consistent cafe quality coffee. Get quality beans, use them fresh, preferably grind fresh for perfect extraction. I rarely buy coffee out anymore. I get best results with the companion induction plate. All up highly valued friend in my kitchen.

Purchased in November 2011 for $899.00.

GrinderBreville Coffee 'n' Spice Grinder CG2B

Absolutely, totally thoroughly hopeless.

Looks great. Otherwise a total dud. Uses MASSIVE amounts of coffee. The only time it makes decent cappuccino is in the tutorials. Waste of money unless it’s just for decoration.

Purchased in December 2018 at Coffee Plus, Hobart for $699.00.

Product is used: Weekly

Incredibly happy with the Little Guy

I have been incredibly happy with the Little Guy, using it at least once a day for many years. It makes a delicious coffee, and with the option of heating and frothing the milk, it is truly a great device.

Only downside is the fineness of the bean it takes - if too fine (owners stupid mistake), the machine can blow a gasket - though they do offer a very good maintenance service.

Purchased in January 2014 for $499.00.

Product is used: Daily

Great coffee machine can't live without it

This is a great coffee machine that works and works well. You do need a little practice and follow the instructions to get the best results. After sales service is exceptional and very quick.

Purchased in July 2018 at Little Guy website for $700.00.

Product is used: Daily

The best coffee I’ve ever had plus reliable plus enjoying the process

The best coffee I’ve ever had plus reliable plus I enjoy the process of making the coffee. Great job on the milk. Looks classy in the kitchen. I definitely recommend getting the induction cooktop as this is the key to reliability of reproducing great coffee. I was resigned to spending an awful lot more to get that perfect cup of coffee to start the day. Enjoy, I am.

March 14th 2019 Update: Internet shopping but with personal touch

Still the best coffee I’ve had. I had a small problem with the induction cooktop, couldn’t believe how quickly ‘the little guy’ sorted this keeping my coffee flowing. I thought internet shopping was impersonal, I couldn’t be more wrong in this case, emails responded quickly and thence problem sorted. Still the best coffee I’ve had. Reliable set and forget. Many thanks, ‘the little guy’ I need that first coffee to get the day started right.

Purchased in January 2019 for $700.00.

Product is used: Daily

Like No Other Coffee Maker You'll Find!

Bought it online from the awesome crew at The Bircher Bar and haven't ever regretted it for a second. It's a staple on my kitchen counter and makes the best home espresso I've ever had - time and time again. I've paired it with the Little Guy Induction Plate and Little Guy Tamper too - can't recommend more!

Date PurchasedFeb 2019

Excellent machine, excellent customer service

We have had our little guy since my 32nd birthday (5 years now), it has unfailingly made the best coffee and has been a pleasure to use (there is a learning curve, but online tutorials will have you making perfect coffee in no time).
My review was actually prompted by the customer service, having lost the boiler lid I called to see about a replacement... this was arranged and sent within 24 hrs!

Can’t say enough good things about the product or the customer service. Do yourself a favour, buy it!

Date PurchasedSep 2013

Live off the the grid and this guy produces 2 every day for the last seven years

Its an absolute gem at pouring shots, so far over 5000. Good espresso maker to have as I live off the grid. Plus it comes camping with me.
I have a porlex hand grinder and Covea gas burner which you can regulate the heat realy well.
Have used it every day for the last seven years, this espresso machine would suit those who are pernikity about there coffee.

Date PurchasedMay 2011

Excellent coffee

Ive given this 4 stars instead of five for one reason, that is that youshould really purchase the invertion cooking hob that is made especially for this, as initially using this on my gas stove, i became distracted and burnt out my little guy on not one but two seperate occaisions.
This can be fixed, but it is costly and it has to be sent away.
Now that I have the invertion cooking top it is perfect. Makes wonderful coffee. I am spoilt now as when I go to purchase a coffee from a cafe it is sometimes nt as good as I can make at home.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Can’t buy a coffee any more

Have been using the Little Guy for a couple of years now and the quality of the extraction is amazing, I am no longer able to buy coffee from our local cafes and we have a lot here in Alexandria ! I recon we save about $2k a year and drink the best coffee in town !

Date PurchasedJan 2016

A modern style icon that makes superb espresso

Amazing stove top coffee that matches coffee shop brews. Just a beatiful machine, not cheap but this is top notch quality in every regard and the customer service from Little Guy is 10/10, friendly and helpful from people who are clearly passionate about espresso and this product. I love my Otto

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Wonderful Machine - Suffers no fools

I have owned the Little Guy for a year now. Eight years ago a friend bought one and ever since then I ummed and ahhed with indecision and envy. Now a year into owning one I feel silly for not pulling the trigger earlier - it is a wonderful machine.

I use Small Batch beans from North Melbourne and experiment fortnightly with a rotating list of beans. It is endlessly fascinating to see how the Little Guy brings the beans to life. I bought the unit with the recommended induction stove and I think that makes all the difference. I've used it on gas and it is dreadful - extraction takes an age and steam pressure is woeful. With the induction unit, it's flawless and reliable.

Some things to watch for:
1. Grind size is crucial to getting the extraction rate right. You need to experiment until you hit the Goldilocks zone.
2. Steam pressure - I hit the 'otto' button for my morning espresso (should be called andante) when it reaches 60ml I then crank up the heat to 5/5 on the induction stove. This makes all the difference for generating sufficient steam.
3. Dosing - Craig is right (duh) you need more beans than other espresso machines - I've experimented and worked out that 24-27grams (depending on the bean) is the sweet spot. This means you'll use more coffee quicker - but who cares?
4. Tamping - get a stainless steel tamper it gives you a smoother surface area which helps with steam pressure.

For me, this means if I nail these steps I get beautiful results. If I err, I am left with a crappy brew.

All this means that the Little Guy rewards attention to detail and snubs fools. If you like a little ritual with your machine and you are okay with a semi-artisanal process then this is the one for you. I love it.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

We love Our Little Guy and can't imagine life without him!

I bought the Little Guy (Otto) as a present for a major birthday for my husband. We've had the machine now for at least 13 yrs. We love the coffee it makes and over the years we've fine-tuned our technique with all the variables. I'm astonished it's still going after all these years and with so much use - almost every day for 13 yrs!!! It's the best present my husband has ever received I'm sure!

Date PurchasedJan 2005

Extraction like no other

Ever since I went to a demo for this little guy (it was still branded as the Otto back then) and tasted its sweet nectar, I have wanted to call it my own. Though it seemed a bit out of my price range at the time, the sexy design and the final product it produced kept me dreaming that one day, it would be mine. For years I have prided myself on my home brewing methods that did not include an espresso machine, but once I saw and I tasted, I couldn’t resist. Luckily, my wife surprised me with it for our 10 year anniversary and I have not looked back.
There are many reasons to sing the little guys' praises, but I will add a few things first that people need to be aware of and end with the really good stuff.
First, it takes a bit of experimenting to find just the right mix for your home grinder, which basket to use, and the all important, how many grams of coffee is required. For me it took about 5-6 goes till I was happy. Persevere through this stage because it is worth it.
Secondly, it does take a while to make a coffee from start to finish. Now for me, I don’t mind because it’s a little more art, and I find joy in the slow methodical beauty of making the coffee. But if you are looking for a quick, push-a-button and grab-a-coffee-before-I-rush-out-the-door experience, then this won’t be it.
Thirdly, if you want something that will make multiple coffee’s for a large dinner party, then it might not fulfil your particular request. It could do it, but would take a while, and you need to let it cool down a bit first before you start the process again.
Now to the benefits.
I know of no other brewing device that extracts like the little guy. The flavour profile of the beans really come to the fore, and it is beautiful to watch it slowly drip its rich crema into the bowl.
The steam wand textures perfectly. Seriously, we have a great machine at work, and this blows the other one away. It is hands down, the best steam wand I have ever used on any home machine.
It is super easy to clean, and no fuss.
If you can get the induction top and tamper, do it. They make all the difference.
And it looks so.very.good!
All in all, I couldn’t speak more highly about this, and think that anyone serious about their home coffee experience needs to own one and savour its delights.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Best little brewer

A great machine to make a single cup of excellent coffee. Can make the most ordinary grind into very drinkable one and for a good bean, better than you get in a coffee shop. It retains the caramel flavours that larger machines loose. Well worth the spend. I have had it now for 10 years without a problem. I met the designer Craig at the Coffee and Chocolate Fair, at the Rocks, in Sydney before it was on the shelves and put it on order straight away. Haven't been disappointed.

Date PurchasedDec 2008

Some questions about my Little Guy (with custom induction plate) which I've been using for a week: 1) The coffee seems to "spit" all over the place, especially towards the end of the extraction process. The bench ends up spotted with coffee in a radius of about 30 cm? 2) Related to question #1 - the manual estimates 60ml extraction in about 90 seconds. I'm getting about 40 ml after 2m30s. Grind too fine? Too much coffee in basket? Tamping too hard? All of the above? I've switched to the basket with lots of holes ("professional") but that's producing watery coffee.
Update - 2 weeks and 3 bags of coffee after purchasing, the most recent cafe knew about The Little Guy (stockist) and even had their grinder set to "TLG" (not a number, actually a setting they'd pencilled in after trial and error. Finally, FINALLY the coffee is tasting smooth and rich with caramel overtones the way I like it, and it's not longer "spitting". Still falling short of the promised 60 mls though but at least I can see progress. It's a good thing I love a challenge :P

Hi Have been a user of Otto now - The Little Guy since early release. Problem - insufficiency of steam today for milk ?
Problem solved - thank you.

Hi there, we have had our little guy for quite some time before realising it does not work correctly, water drips from all around the group head around the outside after handle is placed in, and soon steam starts to come out at an alarming rate. There is no crema and the coffee is mostly water. Also, we have not been able to use the steam wand as of yet. We have tried to flip the seal to see if that would help but same result. I'm thinking maybe the seal was just faulty? Extremely dissapointed so far but any help to get our Little Guy working properly would be greatly appreciated!

CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines